[Q] debuggerd.exynosabuse

Search This thread

Noob.Saibot

Dec 17, 2012
Hello,

today as i was accessing my email on Opera Mobile, the SuperSU window popped up by itself and asked me for root acces for a program called "debuggerd.exynosabuse". I dont know what this debuggerd.exynosabuse is and i didnt open any apk before the SU window suddenly popped up..so naturally i denied it root access...then I went into the SuperSU log file and I saw that it kept trying to get root access for two minutes continuously and about 15 tries... also it doesnt have any icon in the apps section of SuperSU. Any ideas what this is about?

Thanks

UtkarshGupta

Nov 17, 2012
New Delhi
Look for the app in app drawer named exynos abuse.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Noob.Saibot

Dec 17, 2012
Ok. So I m looking for what exactly? I have already mentioned that it is called debuggerd.exynosabuse. it is not the exynos abuse apk, which I used to root my phone and patch the exploit. It is a different app that has no icon in the SU logfile. This debuggerd is always trying to get root access to modify some root files but I have it denied in SU. It tries to get root access 50 times a day or more. What is this program and where did it come from and what should I do with it. Thanks.

UtkarshGupta

Nov 17, 2012
New Delhi
Try a full wipe including system cache and dalvik and data.
Then flash latest stock rom and root via cfautoroot.
Also backing up anything using any software is not recommended as malware might have infected it.

PommeGranny

Dec 23, 2009
I just had the same experience for the first time, unfortunately seeing it was a part of ExynosAbuse, I authorized it...

I then saw a lot going on, and in between SuperSU notifications, I saw Adblock Plus notifications too... Maybe related?

PommeGranny

Dec 23, 2009
Well, I'd like to know before I wipe, it's not an easy thing to do for me right now, plus if it's something in the app and I reinstall the app after wiping, I'll have the same problem...

Last edited:

Noob.Saibot

Dec 17, 2012
Than you for your input Dr Ketan. I see that this is a relatively new problem and its got people wondering/worried, I appreciate that this issue has come to your attention.

Dear UtkarshGupta, Sure anyone can nuke their phone and wipe all and flash new, but thats not what the xda community is about. We are here to share, communicate, support, enhance, develop, and learn.

Understanding the problem would be the first step in to solving it. When we know what is the size of the problem, we would then know how to deal with it appropriately. It might be something simple that can be cleaned easily, no nuke needed.

As for me, I am happy with my 4.1.1 jb. I dont want to flash any new firmware.

By now I have taken several screen shots of it trying to get root access to many files and even it was trying to change values and commands but all were denied ofcourse because I have it blocked in SU. If it would help the devs or anyone else, I can attach the screenshots if need be.

PommeGranny

Dec 23, 2009
Well, I have some news.

I removed debuggerd from SuperSU authorizations. Later on, I used Chrome and I got all these requests again. This time, I refused (and took screenshots). At the end, Chrome didn't load the webpage. But mostly, I had no internet connection at all!

Then, I remembered that the first time I had the request, it was when using the web browser. And then, I realized it happened the day after I installed Android Adblock Plus.

I uninstalled it, rebooted, and then my connection worked. I'll try to remove debuggerd from the SuperSU blacklist to see if it still happens.

Anyone can correlate?

tcharlier

Feb 14, 2013
Hi,

I had the same problems :
- debuggerd.exynosabuse requested SU privileges
- enter in an infinite loop, use a lot of battery power, automatic reboot of the device more than twice a day

So I tried to remove these files. In order to do that you need :
- a rooted device (su installed and working)
- Android Terminal Emulator installed from Googleplay in the device

Launch Android Terminal Emulator
Enter the commands below :

su (accept su privileges, prompt disappears)
mount -o remount,rw /system
cd /system/bin
rm debuggerd
rm debuggerd.exynosabuse

reboot

It works for me. I hope it will work for you.

debuggerdman

Feb 21, 2013
debuggerd.exynosabuse

From what I can see, the /system/bin/debugger has been replaced with a script that reads:

#!/system/bin/sh
chmod 0400 /dev/exynos-mem
/system/bin/debuggerd.exynosabuse

Then, debuggerd.exynosabuse seems to launch instead of the normal debuggerd. I suppose some applications may call debuggerd by design, which explains why there are some random popups. Here are the "strings" for debuggerd.exynosabuse which appears to be the renamed original (need to verify). This thread then shows that it appears to do the reported actions.. by design? Would be interesting to trace it down a bit more to determine if the carrier/app developer is sending process dumps back to home for analysis which could contain sensitive data.

ELF
p\4
/system/bin/linker
__aeabi_unwind_cpp_pr0
__dso_handle
__INIT_ARRAY__
__FINI_ARRAY__
memset
property_get
atoi
__stack_chk_fail
__stack_chk_guard
__android_log_vprint
open
close
__errno
strcmp
strlen
vsnprintf
__aeabi_unwind_cpp_pr1
snprintf
strcpy
fprintf
__sF
calloc
free
strdup
fputs
strftime
write
strerror
strtoul
_edata
__bss_start
_end
realloc
memmove
read
socket_local_client
socket_local_server
getsockopt
fopen
fgets
fclose
fcntl
poll
accept
usleep
ioctl
dump_tombstone
dump_backtrace_to_file
getpid
__isthreaded
memcmp
sprintf
__libc_init
fchown
chown
stat
mkdir
sigaction
inotify_init
inotify_add_watch
kill
ptrace
opendir
readdir
readdir_r
closedir
fileno
waitpid
bsd_signal
time
system
fflush
localtime_r
unwind_backtrace_ptrace
demangle_symbol_name
get_backtrace_symbols_ptrace
find_symbol_ptrace
free_backtrace_symbols
format_backtrace_line
try_get_word_ptrace
load_ptrace_context
free_ptrace_context
liblog.so
libcutils.so
libc.so
libcorkscrew.so
/proc/%d/cmdline
%F %T
----- pid %d at %s -----
Cmd line: %s
<unknown>
/proc/%d/comm
"%s" sysTid=%d
Could not attach to thread: %s
Could not obtain stack trace for thread.
%s
ptrace detach from %d failed: %s
/proc/%d/task
----- end %d -----
Sending request to dump task %d.
Error dumping backtrace.
Error dumping tombstone.
Tombstone written to: %s
cannot get credentials
timed out reading tid
read failure? %s
invalid crash request of size %d
/proc/%d/task/%d
tid %d does not exist in pid %d. ignoring debug request
/proc/%d/status
Tgid:
Uid:
Gid:
tid %d does not exist. ignoring explicit dump request
ptrace attach failed: %s
debug.db.uid
failed responding to client: %s
ptrace continue failed: %s
dumpstate -k -t -z -d -o /data/log/dumpstate_app_native -m %d
!@%s
process stopped due to unexpected signal %d
* Process %d has been suspended while crashing. To
* attach gdbserver for a gdb connection on port 5039
* and start gdbclient:
* gdbclient app_process :5039 %d
* Wait for gdb to start, then press HOME or VOLUME DOWN key
* to let the process continue crashing.
/sys/class/leds/red/brightness
/sys/class/leds/green/brightness
/sys/class/leds/blue/brightness
/sys/class/leds/red/device/blink
/sys/class/leds/left/cadence
debuggerd resuming process %d
debuggerd committing suicide to free the zombie!
logd
android:debuggerd
debuggerd: Oct 4 2012 16:24:21
Usage: -b [<tid>]
-b dump backtrace to console, otherwise dump full tombstone file
If tid specified, sends a request to debuggerd to dump that task.
Otherwise, starts the debuggerd server.
out of memory
/dev/input
could not get event, %s
could not get event
SIGILL
SIGABRT
SIGBUS
SIGFPE
SIGSEGV
SIGPIPE
SIGSTKFLT
SIGSTOP
ILL_ILLOPC
ILL_ILLOPN
ILL_ILLADR
ILL_ILLTRP
ILL_PRVOPC
ILL_PRVREG
ILL_COPROC
ILL_BADSTK
BUS_ADRALN
BUS_ADRERR
BUS_OBJERR
FPE_INTDIV
FPE_INTOVF
FPE_FLTDIV
FPE_FLTOVF
FPE_FLTUND
FPE_FLTRES
FPE_FLTINV
FPE_FLTSUB
SEGV_MAPERR
SEGV_ACCERR
UNKNOWN
pid: %d, tid: %d, name: %s >>> %s <<<
pid: %d, tid: %d, name: %s
#%02d %08x %08x %s (%s+%u)
#%02d %08x %08x %s (%s)
%08x %08x %s (%s+%u)
%08x %08x %s (%s)
#%02d %08x %08x %s
%08x %08x %s
backtrace:
%s
stack:
........ ........
ro.build.fingerprint
unknown
Build fingerprint: '%s'
cannot get siginfo: %s
signal %d (%s), code %d (%s), fault addr %08x
cannot get siginfo for %d: %s
memory map around fault addr %08x:
%08x-%08x %s
(no map below)
(no map for address)
(no map above)
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
signal %d (%s), code %d (%s), fault addr --------
/data/tombstones
/data/tombstones/tombstone_%02d
failed to open tombstone file '%s': %s
DEBUG
waitpid failed: %s
unexpected waitpid response: n=%d, status=%08x
timed out waiting for tid=%d to die
timed out waiting for tid=%d to stop
%08x
%08lx
%s %s
memory near %.2s:
code around pc:
code around lr:
cannot get registers: %s
r0 %08x r1 %08x r2 %08x r3 %08x
r4 %08x r5 %08x r6 %08x r7 %08x
r8 %08x r9 %08x sl %08x fp %08x
ip %08x sp %08x lr %08x pc %08x cpsr %08x
d%-2d %016llx d%-2d %016llx
scr %08lx
r0r1r2r3r4r5r6r7r8r9slfpipsp
GCC: (GNU) 4.6.x-google 20120106 (prerelease)
GNU
gold 1.10
aeabi
ARM v7
.shstrtab
.interp
.dynsym
.dynstr
.hash
.rel.dyn
.rel.plt
.text
.ARM.extab
.ARM.exidx
.rodata
.preinit_array
.init_array
.fini_array
.ctors
.dynamic
.got
.bss
.comment
.note.gnu.gold-version
.ARM.attributes

MissNLink

Oct 10, 2010
Brisbane
be careful 'RM'ing everything

Hi,

I had the same problems :
- debuggerd.exynosabuse requested SU privileges
- enter in an infinite loop, use a lot of battery power, automatic reboot of the device more than twice a day

So I tried to remove these files. In order to do that you need :
- a rooted device (su installed and working)
- Android Terminal Emulator installed from Googleplay in the device

Launch Android Terminal Emulator
Enter the commands below :

su (accept su privileges, prompt disappears)
mount -o remount,rw /system
cd /system/bin
rm debuggerd
rm debuggerd.exynosabuse

reboot

It works for me. I hope it will work for you.

should you remove 'debuggerd' & 'debuggerd.exynosabuse' they would simply return from the dead.
i believe they are trying to catch and identify a neardeath experience, in this case relating to exynosabuse. this could be the 4.1.2 upgrade and exynosabuse not sitting comfortably together or it may have been intended to work this way - chainfire is the best source for this answer.
debuggerd is called to examine the problem occurrence point on the source code from a crash dump before the main function is carried out. any prog's with dynamic links can automatically connect to debuggerd and generate crash dumps.

i do find it a bit unsettling when root privileges are asked for something that was never installed as an apk and then devours cpu and battery until nothing is left.

more research needs to be done as to what is really going on...

refer to Koba's blog - 'debuggerd of Android'

Noob.Saibot

Dec 17, 2012
No more bugging

Got sick and tired of it requesting su privileges all the time. Copied debuggerd and debuggerd.exy to sd card just in case and then deleted the ones in system/bin, that are doing all the damage, via es file explorer with root access coz couldnt be deleted any other way and its been 3 days since and it didnt come back and all is clean on su logs no more requests from it.

By the way its got nothing to do with 4.1.2 sitting with exynosabuse.apk as im still running 4.1.1.

Problem solved...uptill now.

MissNLink

Oct 10, 2010
Brisbane
Got sick and tired of it requesting su privileges all the time. Copied debuggerd and debuggerd.exy to sd card just in case and then deleted the ones in system/bin, that are doing all the damage, via es file explorer with root access coz couldnt be deleted any other way and its been 3 days since and it didnt come back and all is clean on su logs no more requests from it.

By the way its got nothing to do with 4.1.2 sitting with exynosabuse.apk as im still running 4.1.1.

apologies, i should have been clearer, as i too had root privy requests whilst on 4.1.1 - however the frequency of this increased noticeably once upgraded to 4.1.2. also i have no other apk's title being added to the debuggerd name in system/bin. i had only 2 files in system/bin - the 1st was "debuggerd" and the second "debuggerd.exynosabuse". this seems to be saying that something is specific enough about exynosabuse for the separately titled file to appear.
if anyone finds any other files identified in this way please comment.
so in all, i should have said, for me, that the debuggerd bugged me more, via the massive increase in root requests, when sitting with 4.1.2 than it did when i had 4.1.1 installed.
again, anyone with ideas as to what and why this debuggerd saga is taking place would be greatly appreciated.

dabears747

Jan 9, 2013
I'm having the same issue, denying debuggerd.exynosabuse in SuperSU just causes my phone to reboot when the requests come through. This happens multiple times a day.

dabears747

Jan 9, 2013

I am getting "debuggered.exynosabuse cannot be deleted" when I try this method

EDIT: didn't have it set to write, got it to work. Will report back in a few days on whether or not it shows up again.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

It is probably a malware.
Update to 4.1.2 asap.

Others in this thread have said that updating doesn't fix the problem, and that it's actually more persistent on 4.1.2

I appreciate offering your assistance, but does anyone know for certain what's going on or are we all just speculating?

Last edited: