[Release][v0.1][KyoCast] Your ticket outside the Google Garden for rooted Chromecasts

Search This thread

jsdecker10

Jul 9, 2012
The good ol Deep South
Sure thing, I'll send it to you once I'm at home.
Would you care to send it to me too? Thanks a lot, man!
Thanks a bunch! About to go to bed anyways, so there's no rush. It'll be about 7-8 hours before I get back to my Mac.

EDIT: Btw, have you tried AllCast and been able to make it work for you?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I haven't messed with it yet, but supposedly if you just roll back the date on your phone, it should work.

guy4jesuschrist

May 24, 2011
I haven't messed with it yet, but supposedly if you just roll back the date on your phone, it should work.

Yup, tried that, but no dice. :/ I'm worried that KyoCast may not have installed correctly, which is why I shared so many details a few posts above this, in hopes that it may help get to the bottom of the problem. I also installed BubbleUPnP, but not sure how that works or if it's an absolute necessity to make AllCast work.

jsdecker10

Jul 9, 2012
The good ol Deep South
Yup, tried that, but no dice. :/ I'm worried that KyoCast may not have installed correctly, which is why I shared so many details a few posts above this, in hopes that it may help get to the bottom of the problem. I also installed BubbleUPnP, but not sure how that works or if it's an absolute necessity to make AllCast work.

BubbleUPnP is not needed to get AllCast working with Chromecast. If everything is rooted properly, flashed properly, and your Chromecast is working, AllCast should work. Back before Google locked everything down, nothing extra was necessary to get AllCast up and running..just install the apk and run it. Unless things have changed, that's how it used to be. I know for a fact because I followed Koushik and his releases before Google pulled their crap and it worked GREAT. =/

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Zuckstone

Jul 30, 2007
BubbleUPnP is not needed to get AllCast working with Chromecast. If everything is rooted properly, flashed properly, and your Chromecast is working, AllCast should work. Back before Google locked everything down, nothing extra was necessary to get AllCast up and running..just install the apk and run it. Unless things have changed, that's how it used to be. I know for a fact because I followed Koushik and his releases before Google pulled their crap and it worked GREAT. =/

I think BubbleUPnP was used so that the Video files can be streamed from a DLNA Server.
Allcast/Aircast Source options are Media on the phone and a couple Cloud services.
Both options worked for me.

ften

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 3, 2009
New York
Not that I'm aware of.. I have each version of his AllCast app saved and as far as I can remember, all the way back to his initial "beta" release, they all had "time bombs" coded into them. Maybe someone could "reverse engineer" the apk and remove it? ...just a thought.. :confused:

---------- Post added at 03:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 AM ----------

Thanks man!! This is the main reason I even bought a Chromecast to begin with.. ;)

Delete the following lines of code from \smali\com\koushikdutta\cast\ChromecastApplication. smali and then recompile;
Code:
    .line 15
    invoke-static {}, Ljava/lang/Runtime;->getRuntime()Ljava/lang/Runtime;

move-result-object v0

const/4 v1, 0x0

invoke-virtual {v0, v1}, Ljava/lang/Runtime;->exit(I)V
No more time bomb. ;)
In beta 2 and 3 the location is \smali\com\koushikdutta\aircast\

guy4jesuschrist

May 24, 2011
@guy4jesuschrist, @jsdecker10: Here's a download link for Version 0.3: fling 0.3
Credits go to Leon Nicholls.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot soon.

I was following AllCast some at the beginning, but didn't have a Chromecast yet. I've tried it with PWNDCast ROM, KyoCast, and DNS Unlocator flashed, and can't get it to work at all. I just noticed that Pandora isn't casting, and wondering if it's the PWNDCast ROM, DNS Unlocator, and/or KyoCast. I think I'll remove all but PWNDCast ROM, and see if it works, since there aren't any clients that work with KyoCast yet anyways. Maybe AllCast and Pandora will work then. If not, I have no idea how to fix it.

I think BubbleUPnP was used so that the Video files can be streamed from a DLNA Server.
Allcast/Aircast Source options are Media on the phone and a couple Cloud services.
Both options worked for me.

That's what I had gathered, but wasn't sure if I was missing a workaround that would make AllCast work with local media, after Google screwed things up with the updated firmware.

Delete the following lines of code from \smali\com\koushikdutta\cast\ChromecastApplication. smali and then recompile;
Code:
    .line 15

move-result-object v0

const/4 v1, 0x0

No more time bomb. ;)

Thanks for the info! Although, I'm not sure how to decompile an apk, edit it with smali, and recompile it. Is it easy to do, and can it be done on an Android phone? My Mac is giving me issues, freezing and restarting, so I'd prefer editing it on my HTC One instead.

ften

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 3, 2009
New York
Thanks! I'll give it a shot soon.

Thanks for the info! Although, I'm not sure how to decompile an apk, edit it with smali, and recompile it. Is it easy to do, and can it be done on an Android phone? My Mac is giving me issues, freezing and restarting, so I'd prefer editing it on my HTC One instead.

I've never tried to use my phone or a Mac to do it before, but it's easy to do on a PC with APKtool

guy4jesuschrist

May 24, 2011
I've never tried to use my phone or a Mac to do it before, but it's easy to do on a PC with APKtool

Ok, currently researching how to do it on my Mac, since I couldn't find any definite way of doing it on an Android phone. Any chance you already have an apk of AirCast/AllCast with the time bomb removed, that you wouldn't mind sharing, if not here, in PM? :)

EDIT: Nevermind. I wasn't able to get apktool working on my Mac, but came across a post with instructions on how to install apktool on Android. I decompiled, removed the lines, recompiled, and signed the apk. Got it installed and running without the time bomb, but still can't cast any videos to my Chromecast. :/

Still getting this:
ebebyhah.jpg

Last edited:

MadBob

May 28, 2008
Xiaomi Mi Note 10
Xiaomi 12T Pro
Code:
    .line 15

move-result-object v0

const/4 v1, 0x0

No more time bomb. ;)

Decompiled, deleted lines, cannot get it to recompile :(

guy4jesuschrist

May 24, 2011
Code:
    .line 15

move-result-object v0

const/4 v1, 0x0

No more time bomb. ;)

For anyone interested, here's where I found the info for installing apktool on Android. I then was able to decompile, edit to remove the time bomb, recompile, and sign the AllCast apk.

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

If any of you are having issues with Allcast showing a black screen when your trying to cast a video via Bubbleupnp. I found that you need to add the device shown as unknown under Windows Media Player Streaming Options. Hope this helps.

Setup Basic Streaming Preferences
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...ices-and-computers-using-windows-media-player

I'm not even getting as far as a black screen. The Chromecast isn't even indicating that AllCast is trying to communicate with it. Question though, what does Windows Media Player have to do with Chromecast and/or an Android app like AllCast? Lost me there, haha.

Last edited:

PJtrick4020

Jan 12, 2009
Manhattan
For anyone interested, here's where I found the info for installing apktool on Android. I then was able to decompile, edit to remove the time bomb, recompile, and sign the AllCast apk.

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

I'm not even getting as far as a black screen. The Chromecast isn't even indicating that AllCast is trying to communicate with it. Question though, what does Windows Media Player have to do with Chromecast and/or an Android app like AllCast? Lost me there, haha.

Lol. Not really sure why. My best guess would be that it has to deal with windows allowing me to stream/share the videos from my laptop. I'm using windows 8. :(

guy4jesuschrist

May 24, 2011
Lol. Not really sure why. My best guess would be that it has to deal with windows allowing me to stream/share the videos from my laptop. I'm using windows 8. :(

Oh, ok. So you must be using AllCast in conjunction with BubbleUPnP, or a similar app. I just wish I could figure out why it's not casting videos stored locally on my phone, since it finds my Chromecast. I'm gonna try Fling again, using the 0.3 version that @burnnie shared, to see if that works at least. I also might flash the KyoCast removal zip and try reflashing KyoCast, just in case something got corrupted during the first time I flashed it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This MOD has been superseeded with Eureka-ROM, which is available at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2578653

I am very happy to announce my contribution to the chromecast community, KyoCast.

OfypN2U.jpg

Important: This is in BETA and relies on services outside of Google which may not always be available - It is hosted on a good connection and if you have any issues please let me know!.

What is it?

KyoCast is a mod for your rooted Chromecast device, it redirects traffic that requests the whitelist information on which applications are allowed and instead of sending them to google it sends them to the KyoCast servers.

The config file will be updated on a regular basis and developers are free to request their application be published into the KyoCast whitelist! (please PM me for this).

How do I use it?

This is a standard eureka_image.zip file to flash via Flashcast - it replaces the devices certificate store and places a dns record in the hosts file to force it to access the KyoCast servers

Download is available here: https://mega.co.nz/#!55onGbLB!Qr3RIWDCIGCeJbw0RvZY5hAvPTVXD3Ul2T2AJn772Vg

How do I know it's working?

Browse to your chromecast on http://<chromecastIP>:8008/apps/Revision3_App - if this page is not blank then it is working successfully.

If you have the demo_app available, you should be able to successfully launch a number of applications outside the google whitelist. Please note that as I have no client code

I cannot provide you with access to the clients for these launchers.

As of posting the KyoCast configuration includes access to the following (note that clients are not available for these as of yet):

ALLCast Updated 14/11/2013
    Chromecast Dashboard Added 14/11/2013 - https://github.com/boombatower/chromecast-dashboard for more information
    Fling Updated 14/11/2013

AOL_ON_Dev_App
    AOL_ON_App
    HBO_DEV_App
    HBO_App
    Post_TV_App
    Revision3_App
    Songza_App

How do I move back to google?
    If you wish to move back to google servers, download and flash the following zip which will remove the hosts file entries.
    https://mega.co.nz/#!s1YyUTiQ!Z1KXIHmTsCsP5UXLT2XOzDsEJv1nGCXeY69JsEUKW-I

Special Thanks:
    I'd like to throw out a special thanks to ddggttff3 and tchebb, you guys are awesome!
    Tested and is working with the date removal code gone.

To the previous poster - you need to sign the APK to be able to install.

Don't forget to thank ften (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47495678&postcount=89) for finding the line in code that needed modification.
    Not that I'm aware of.. I have each version of his AllCast app saved and as far as I can remember, all the way back to his initial "beta" release, they all had "time bombs" coded into them. Maybe someone could "reverse engineer" the apk and remove it? ...just a thought.. :confused:

---------- Post added at 03:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 AM ----------

Thanks man!! This is the main reason I even bought a Chromecast to begin with.. ;)

Code:
        .line 15

move-result-object v0

const/4 v1, 0x0

No more time bomb. ;)
    Where to download "ALLCast"

Here is a modified AllCast without the time restriction: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47503538&postcount=98
    @guy4jesuschrist, @jsdecker10: Here's a download link for Version 0.3: fling 0.3
    Credits go to Leon Nicholls.