[HOWTO] Chromecast/Netflix outside USA without VPN

Search This thread

neobendez

Nov 27, 2013
Therefore, getting a USA VPN connection before travelling abroad has become as important as taking along the passport and credit cards. Great source...

red.eye

Dec 5, 2005
Don't know why you are having that attitude, but I appreciate his comment. I'm outside the US and Chromecast supposedly only worked with Netlfix US. Glad to know its not the case.

Using the already available information on the internet and a few threads of this XDA forum, I figured out how to get Netflix working in Switzerland, without having to use a VPN service.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a replacement for a VPN service and its functionality, but an alternative way to use geoblocked websites outside their origin countries. This workaround needs you to have either a DD-WRT router or atleast a router on which you can configure iptables via CLI.

• You will need admin access to your home router. Connect to this router via web interface or command line whichever is applicable.
  • Follow Setup Guides for Multiple Devices and setup your home router with the Unlocator DNS IPs
  • Follow How to Setup DD-WRT to Work With Chromecast
  • I didn't have a DD-WRT router but with admin access I could use the commands in the previous step on the command line of my TP-Link W8960N router.
  • You can replace the DNS IPs in these commands with any other service that you are using for eg. Unblock-US
    Code:
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.8.8 -j DNAT --to-destination 50.112.186.233
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.4.4 -j DNAT --to-destination 50.112.143.40

Hi,
I tried with my TP-Link W8960n but it doesn't work....
Could you please tell step by step what should I do ?
I have telnet acces to my router.... then ?

Thank you very much!!!!!!

-
Marco

mayhemrules

Feb 3, 2012
Hi,
I tried with my TP-Link W8960n but it doesn't work....
Could you please tell step by step what should I do ?
I have telnet acces to my router.... then ?

Thank you very much!!!!!!

-
Marco

Marco, you only need to chsnge the DNS in your router to that of unlocator. Check out their website for device specific instructions.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Reactions: red.eye

Philarious

Dec 19, 2013
Using the already available information on the internet and a few threads of this XDA forum, I figured out how to get Netflix working in Switzerland, without having to use a VPN service.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a replacement for a VPN service and its functionality, but an alternative way to use geoblocked websites outside their origin countries. This workaround needs you to have either a DD-WRT router or atleast a router on which you can configure iptables via CLI.

• You will need admin access to your home router. Connect to this router via web interface or command line whichever is applicable.
  • Follow Setup Guides for Multiple Devices and setup your home router with the Unlocator DNS IPs
  • I didn't have a DD-WRT router but with admin access I could use the commands in the previous step on the command line of my TP-Link W8960N router.
  • You can replace the DNS IPs in these commands with any other service that you are using for eg. Unblock-US
    Code:
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.8.8 -j DNAT --to-destination 50.112.186.233
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.4.4 -j DNAT --to-destination 50.112.143.40
  • Try playing any Netflix content in the Chrome browser, and use the Netflix player's Chromecast button to cast your content. It will work without any issues as your Chromecast will be able to bypass having to query Google's DNS and query Unlocator's DNS.
  • You can now try the same from any Android or iOS device using the appropriate Netflix app. (You can find the Netflix apk here)
  • Happy Netflixing! :highfive:

Here are detailed and confirmed working steps to:

Hey there I just came to say thank you works great from germany, I have linksys e1200.

Only issue was with the netflix apk file on my phone after installing there was no cast button. I couldn't find it in the playstore-app guess because of my location, then I installed the netflix app through the chrome browser from google play site, then the button was there.
It's fast and It looks way better then before on win 7 pc with only 3000kbps stream, guess that means it's super-hd now yay.

saumil25

Apr 16, 2011
Mumbai
Is there any VPN Service like unlock-us that is free? Want it for Netflix on Chromecast

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Scragon

Dec 21, 2013
Great, but loading issues

Hey, thanks for the great post, I have this set up and running in New Zealand now.
But I do have some issues. When casting a video from Netflix, the Chromecast gets stuck at 25% and then after about 2 mins, the video plays.
This is bearable, but then the video starts buffering about every 30 seconds, always getting stuck on 25%, rendering it kinda useless. Now I can stream HD YouTube videos fine, the problem seems to be isolated to Netflix. I have turned the quality down in the Chromecast options, still no luck. I even tried replacing the DNS with Unblock-Us, still the same issue. Anyone else having this problem, anyone know a fix? Your help would be much appreciated! :fingers-crossed:

Hampa_D

Jun 20, 2010
ive gone the manual way because i have a wnr2000v2 i can play the us netflix form chrome but i cantä cast it to chromecast, not from chrome and not from my sgs4, ive fkused dns, restarted everything, cant really figure this out

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
Hey, thanks for the great post, I have this set up and running in New Zealand now.
But I do have some issues. When casting a video from Netflix, the Chromecast gets stuck at 25% and then after about 2 mins, the video plays.
This is bearable, but then the video starts buffering about every 30 seconds, always getting stuck on 25%, rendering it kinda useless. Now I can stream HD YouTube videos fine, the problem seems to be isolated to Netflix. I have turned the quality down in the Chromecast options, still no luck. I even tried replacing the DNS with Unblock-Us, still the same issue. Anyone else having this problem, anyone know a fix? Your help would be much appreciated! :fingers-crossed:
I think you're pulling from US Netflix streams? If so, because you're abstracting the DNS, it's probably also pulling content from the US servers, rather than closer-to-your-region mirrors.
Essentially you're not benefiting from the normal content delivery edge network.

It's like me in the US trying to download from a mirror in Hungary rather than one from US/Canada.

If I'm right, not sure of a way around it as the content you want likely does not exist on an edge node in your region if it's not offered there.

ykphuah

Dec 17, 2009
When casting a video from Netflix, the Chromecast gets stuck at 25% and then after about 2 mins, the video plays.
This is bearable, but then the video starts buffering about every 30 seconds, always getting stuck on 25%, rendering it kinda useless.

I am from Asia and I have been facing this starting this week. Either there's more people that are using unlocator now, or that there's a lot of people having holidays to watch netflix. Will see what happens in a week or two later.

jmudrick

Jul 25, 2012
In Cambodia, have had no Netflix access for a while. May be related to broken ocean cable.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

spam.this

Dec 29, 2013
For Mac OSX users, you can use OpenBSD PF (packet filter) that replaced ipfw.
I am running a Mac Mini with a wired internet connection. I enabled internet sharing for it's internet connection through the wireless device in Settings -> Sharing.

Then I added the below lines to /etc/pf.conf and then ran pfctl -f /etc/pf.conf.
You might want to enable pf with pfctl -e. You can tweak your interfaces as needed. I have my Chromecast connected on the shared wireless network.

ext_if="en0"
int_if="bridge100"
rdr pass on {$ext_if, $int_if} inet proto udp from any to 8.8.8.8 -> 50.112.186.233
rdr pass on {$ext_if, $int_if} inet proto udp from any to 8.8.4.4 -> 50.112.143.40

Enjoy

Reactions: paracha3

Zefco

Dec 31, 2009
Happy to confirm that it works with the ASUS RT-N12 in Germany. Chromecast, Netflix APK on Andoird and Netflix Website.

Cuzz1369

Jan 25, 2013
Kitchener
Ahhhh...Well they finally got dd-wrt to flash on my ea2700 router. I signed up for unlocator a long time ago but there was no way to get it to work until now. I flashed dd-wrt and added the proper lines, now I can enjoy American Netflix in Canada once again. The only problem is there are a couple of series I wish to watch that are only available on American Netflix. So my question is, is there a way to "blacklist" a device from using unlocator using dd-wrt? I can always download whatever I cant get like all of my HBO shows, but thought there might be an easy way to let an ip address of a certain device pass through.

kpiris

Aug 23, 2010
Palma
So my question is, is there a way to "blacklist" a device from using unlocator using dd-wrt?

That would be easy with -s option of iptables:

This would apply the redirection rule to all devices on your network, except the one with 192.168.1.321 address:

Code:
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING ! -s 192.168.1.321 -d 8.8.8.8 -j DNAT --to-destination 50.112.186.233
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING ! -s 192.168.1.321 -d 8.8.4.4 -j DNAT --to-destination 50.112.143.40

On the other hand, if you remove the ! before -s, then it would apply the rule only to the device with 192.168.1.321 address (say, your chromecast).

Obviously, you would need to replace 192.168.1.321 with a valid ip address that suited your needs.

Last edited:

Pris0n

Jan 14, 2011
I currently don't have a dd-wrt router (fritzbox user). Would it be possible to buy a dd-wrt router and use the fritzbox as primary one and the second like a hotspot with the functions in the first post?
Will this work for chromecast to access netflix outside europe?

spam.this

Dec 29, 2013
I currently don't have a dd-wrt router (fritzbox user). Would it be possible to buy a dd-wrt router and use the fritzbox as primary one and the second like a hotspot with the functions in the first post?
Will this work for chromecast to access netflix outside europe?

yes you can do this, if your chromecast is connected to the ddwrt, the ddwrt takes charge of changing the packets and forwards already modified packets to your main router.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
      iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.8.8 -j DNAT --to-destination 185.37.37.37
      iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.4.4 -j DNAT --to-destination 185.37.37.185
    • Edit: Due to some problems with newer Netflix app versions on the Chromecast build 19084 these iptables rules seem to be a better option. They redirect only DNS requests made to Google servers to the server of your choice
      Code:
      iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 185.37.37.37
      iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 185.37.37.37
    • Try playing any Netflix content in the Chrome browser, and use the Netflix player's Chromecast button to cast your content. It will work without any issues as your Chromecast will be able to bypass having to query Google's DNS and query Unlocator's DNS.
    • You can now try the same from any Android or iOS device using the appropriate Netflix app. (You can find the Netflix apk here)
    • Happy Netflixing! :highfive:

Here are detailed and confirmed working steps to:
    I have found a solution that works for me, and I think it would do for everyone who uses private DNS servers as Unblock-Us or Unlocator. The only thing you need is a router capable of filtering outgoing connections, and every router I have seen can do this as part of the built-in firewall without need of flashing an alternate firmware that supports iptables (such as openwrt).

You only need to put two rules on your router firewall to block outgoing packets to Google DNS Servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) for TCP/UDP and port 53 (DNS). This way, Chromecast will get a timeout trying to reach Google DNS Servers and will fallback to your router defined DNS servers and your Netflix or Hulu will work again!
    Let me know if you get it working. I'll have an fritz 7390 with the same problems.

I have an FB 7320 and it is working with routing the google IPs to some unused IP...

But you have to be careful how you enter the the google IPs (it should not be 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4,
    but should be 8.8.8.0 and 8.8.4.0 - because FB does not allow to enter netmask 255.255.255.255).

So it should look like:
    IP: 8.8.8.0
    Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway:192.168.178.222 (per default you have the FB configured as GW 192.168.178.1,
    so it must be in this network - and in this example .222 is an IP which is not used by any host).

And same for IP 8.8.4.0.
    This looks interesting mate.

Do you have any idea if its possible on DDWRT / tomato?

Is it a firewall script like this one (that i have been using but no longer works. Presumably because of the return.

iptables -I PREROUTING -t nat -p udp -d 8.8.4.4 --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination

I saw a script on reddit that is currently working just fine in my tomato-based router. You can use it to redirect all traffic going out on TCP/UDP port 53 to a specific IP address:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.1
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.1

(assumes router IP is 192.168.1.1 - change accordingly or reroute to your smart DNS server of choice directly)
    (assumes interface is br0 - change accordingly)
    I re-direct the Google DNS requests in the Router, using Static Routes, which works quite well.

The static route method redirects Google DNS lookups to a black hole, so that no response is returned. That's equivalent to blocking Google DNS. That won't work with the new Android Netflix app 3.7.2. The iptables method might work because the app will get a valid response to its domain lookup.