[Q] ATT HTC ONE M8 - Not working - Explanation Following

Search This thread

scruff72

Jun 12, 2014
I had successfully flashed my phone and installed Cyanogenmod 11. After several weeks I decided to take my phone back to Stock Sense and in the process I messed up terribly. Somehow I erased everything off of my internal memory and the phone sits in the cyanogenmod bootloader. Apparently I had saved my backup to internal storage like an idiot and it is gone now. I do have an SD card accessible. The status is as follows:

1. Phone is unlocked
2. S-ON Status showing (not sure how to get it to S-Off but not sure if this is my biggest issue)
3. When the phone powers on it goes to the Cyanogenmod Boot Screen and the little blue guy staring at me stares at me with the spinning blue circle until the phone actually goes dead.
4. Once phone goes dead I can attain access to my bootloader by holding volume down and the power button and I can get into TWRP recovery.
5. I connect the phone to my PC and when I access by command prompt and type adb devices it shows the phone either in fastboot or recovery or sideload mode depending on where I am at in the accessible system.
6. I have loaded cyanogenmod 11 nightly on my external sd card and flashed it and it says successful but when I reboot the phone still remains locked on the bootscreen until it dies again.
7. I have tried sideloading the ROM and when I do that it tells me that it can not access internal storage or any type of storage and says it is using RAM for storage....not sure how that works but once the ROM has been sideloaded I can not find it.

Here is what I want....I simply want to be able to reinstall Sense 6 or Cyanogenmod 11 back onto my phone so it will work once again but I am lost. I have followed numerous how tos on the web and I am getting nowhere.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Ask as many questions as needed and I will supply you with as detailed of an answer as I can.

Thanks in advance.

ziggy46

Aug 18, 2011
Chambersburg, Pa
okay try this first and see if it gets at least cm11 working again...

1. Go and put cm11 on your external sdcard

2. boot into recovery mode

3. factory reset the device

4. manually wipe /system (this is needed under certain circumstances)

5. now flash cm11 and the gapps package

6. reboot

this should get cm11 back up and running for you at least. Now once cm11 is back up and running do the same thing with the sense rom that you were trying to go to. it should work.

EDIT: also, keep a copy of your nandroid backup on a computer somewhere that way if something like this happens again you dont loose your backup.

Reactions: dylanracecar5

scruff72

Jun 12, 2014

6. reboot

this should get cm11 back up and running for you at least. Now once cm11 is back up and running do the same thing with the sense rom that you were trying to go to. it should work.

EDIT: also, keep a copy of your nandroid backup on a computer somewhere that way if something like this happens again you dont loose your backup.

When I attempt to factory reset the device it tells me it has failed.....and unable to mount '/data'

unable to mount internal storage

and does it matter that it is in S-On?

Thanks again

ziggy46

Aug 18, 2011
Chambersburg, Pa
When I attempt to factory reset the device it tells me it has failed.....and unable to mount '/data'

Thanks again

okay ive had a phone of mine do that before, it should be okay as long as you wipe /system. after doing that try and flash the rom again and let me know if it works right.

and no it being s-on shouldnt matter with this.

scruff72

Jun 12, 2014

Thanks again

Did not work...still hung in boot loop......just fyi....there is NOTHING on my internal storage....it says 0 MB...here is a screenshot of what shows after I flash or do anything else about it not being able to mount....

1402601209669.jpg

scruff72

Jun 12, 2014
1402601842354.jpg

1402601848257.jpg
okay ive had a phone of mine do that before, it should be okay as long as you wipe /system. after doing that try and flash the rom again and let me know if it works right.

and no it being s-on shouldnt matter with this.

I will send you a screenshot of what I get when I try to wipe the system - it states that it fails. Should be able to attach screenshot in a few minutes.

Waiting on phone to die again because it will not power down.

1402601842354.jpg

1402601848257.jpg

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Did you ever try to factory reset in bootloader?

This is the second post today I've seen where a person was having trouble wiping /data, which is usually a breeze. I wonder what is causing this. I'm just reaching a bit here, as the only time I've seen such issues, is on my old One X (EVITA) where doing a factory reset in bootloader would corrupt the internal storage. And the fact you said that formatting the storage fixed the issue, also reminds me of that same issue on the EVITA.

zlokot

Jun 29, 2014
I'm in the same boat.

I fixed it....your advice got me to digging and I actually formatted the partition and then was able to load CM11. Thanks again...greatly appreciated.

Hi, I'm in a similar situation with my newly acquired HTC One M8.
I have access to bootloader and recovery (TWRP v.2.7.0.2), but I'm getting all the same "failed to mount ***" errors as you were having.

Can you please elaborate on how to "format the partition" or point me to a detailed thread/article on how to do that?
And any notes on how you got it back to work are very appreciated - I've spent hours and hours researching a trying things without any success.

I'm sorry I'm somewhat new to this...

Let me know if you need any more info and thank you for your help in advance.

AkaDeast

Sep 2, 2015
I fixed it....your advice got me to digging and I actually formatted the partition and then was able to load CM11. Thanks again...greatly appreciated.

But how do you formatted the partition?! i´m in all most the same situation, and i think the things are clear, mi internal storage is corrupted, but the cuestion is How do i manually format it?
Thanks in advanceeeed!

Last edited:

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
But how do you formatted the partition?! i´m in all most the same situation, and i think the things are clear, mi internal storage is corrupted, but the cuestion is How do i manually format it?
Thanks in advanceeeed!

You posted to a thread that is over a year old, its a stretch (to say the least) that you are in the "same situation".

If you can boot or flash TWRP, go to the Wipe options, then try the "Format Data" option.

Otherwise, try to relock the bootloader and RUU back to stock.

Last edited:

dylanracecar5

Oct 25, 2014
Visalia
HTC One (M8) recovery fix

I have be stuck almost Vb. this worked with (M7) /(M8) AT&T. The quick fix would be to reflash BusyBox in recovery. Because more than likely your partition is out of wake due to flashing to many roms. If you get into recovery and are getting errors when trying to mount .Zip ie: all files completely missing or not enough space/storage est. When you the error its looking for an 4 dig number. try 0000 not work 1111. That works 90% for me. This assuming you are using TWRP 7.2++ or later. If still Stuck just flash same TWRP using over the top. Should be fine, I only know this because I have done the same and had worked great.

You posted to a thread that is over a year old, its a stretch (to say the least) that you are in the "same situation".

If you can boot or flash TWRP, go to the Wipe options, then try the "Format Data" option.

Otherwise, try to relock the bootloader and RUU back to stock.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

6. reboot