How do you advertise in your apps?

Search This thread

~dylan

The Intern
Jun 3, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hi! I'm Dylan, the xda intern :victory:

I'm doing some research on how devs monetize their apps. We're currently exploring ways to help you make more money from your apps and we'd like to find out about what you currently do. If you could please, please take this short survey, it would be much appreciated! We promise to keep everything confidential; in fact, the survey is anonymous.

Thanks again! :laugh:

~dylan

Reactions: speed_bot

kevin619

Aug 6, 2010
California
www.cygnismedia.com
Today in this competitive world whether you have an iPad app...., Android app or any Mobile app you need to advertise to make people know about your app. very important factor for advertising your app is effectively determining where and how to advertise your app.effective app advertising requires mainly 4 key areas....
Brand
Buzz
Balanced opportunity
Social Media support

blocknot.es

Aug 2, 2013
Vicenza
blocknot.es
I have the same problem.
2 weeks ago I published an Android app but very few people tried it.
The market is full of apps so it's hard to acquire visibility.
So I'm looking for websites to advertise it.

6mg

Mar 19, 2013
admob sucks

I have like 40,000 plus downloads on admob. got like 9 dollars. U don't need to advertise. Just pick a name. They will find it. The market is large

electricseed

Jul 26, 2013
We tried admob too, no luck there. Posting on forums (where allowed), trying to make a good icon and description and looots of luck :eek:
we tried getting some reviews done too, but didn't see any rise in downloads. Also we got into a printed medium too, which didn't seem to have much impact either.

carbonpeople

Sep 28, 2013
One major problem, (for example with google play) is that they dont actually give a chance
for new developers to promote their applications

Our apps hide under a pile of dozen of others. :(

One sulution

A random application could be featured on the main entry page every hour.

This will balance the major companies promoting their stuff. And if the app is good, it wil get
the hype to climb up

Unfortunately we dont see that comming soon.

nikwen

Feb 1, 2013
Berlin, Germany
www.nikwen.de
One sulution

This will balance the major companies promoting their stuff. And if the app is good, it wil get
the hype to climb up

And why? Because there are lots of crappy apps out there. I'm glad (even from a developer standpoint) that this won't happen.

carbonpeople

Sep 28, 2013
And why? Because there are lots of crappy apps out there. I'm glad (even from a developer standpoint) that this won't happen.

a) Half of the apps in google play are NOT crap. Have you seen them promoted ?
I can point to some excelent apps (better than the well known competition) with
so little downloads that looks suspicius

b) Even imdb has a heuristics system to remove biased/suspicius rankings, so surely
google can do that. A crap-free promoting system can be created

But it seems that

1. Either major companies want to clear out small competition on google play

or

2. Or... some developers created a good highly-downloaded app and had their
idea stollen from somebody else who created a better one, and want
to push new competition out of the way

Either way...

Reactions: nikwen

nikwen

Feb 1, 2013
Berlin, Germany
www.nikwen.de
a) Half of the apps in google play are NOT crap. Have you seen them promoted ?
I can point to some excelent apps (better than the well known competition) with
so little downloads that looks suspicius

Of course, there are many good apps. I even think that this is the majority.
And I've seen those great small apps, too. (But most of them got lots of downloads within a few months. It took some time but if the app is good and unique, you will get your downloads. ;))

b) Even imdb has a heuristics system to remove biased/suspicius rankings, so surely
google can do that. A crap-free promoting system can be created

But it seems that

1. Either major companies want to clear out small competition on google play

or

2. Or... some developers created a good highly-downloaded app and had their
idea stollen from somebody else who created a better one, and want
to push new competition out of the way

Either way...

I think that it is Google that doesn't want to promote the small apps.
  • If they did it randomly, most apps (not all!!!) would get less downloads than the bigger ones.
  • If they selected the small apps by hand, it would be very expensive and they wouldn't know where to start.
  • If they choose the big ones with many downloads (like now), they can be sure that they will get many downloads. And with downloads comes money.

I don't think it's fair, but I can't think of a better and still efficient method to select the small apps which generates as much income as the system does now.

Reactions: developer.l.lazy

mynote

Sep 15, 2009

I'm doing some research on how devs monetize their apps. We're currently exploring ways to help you make more money from your apps and we'd like to find out about what you currently do. If you could please, please take this short survey, it would be much appreciated! We promise to keep everything confidential; in fact, the survey is anonymous.

~dylan

well, i dont think ist good to use ads in an app anyway. better use "donations" or "Pro" Versions since ads will make your Reviews and Ratings worst.

PicomatStudios

Sep 11, 2012
well, i dont think ist good to use ads in an app anyway. better use "donations" or "Pro" Versions since ads will make your Reviews and Ratings worst.

A combination of approaches work best. Having a facebook presence helps. Some of the very successful apps integrate with facebook very well. Some games tend to grant more time/lives if you share or like on facebook (Candy Crush, for example).

Depending on the app, limited-time trial versions are quite effective.
Agree that plain ads can be problematic as they can lead to poor reviews.. that in turn can hit your G. Play ranking and lead to fewer downloads.

MobiDevCorp

Oct 15, 2013
Hi guys! Interesting discussion. Actually there are number of general ways to monetize an app:

• Paid applications. You create an app that will charge a certain amount from the beginning.
  • Freemium. A software product can be downloaded free (so-called 'lite' version), while its extended, 'premium' features and services are offered for a payment.
  • Subscription (paid access). This monetization model originates from real magazines and newspapers, and is also very widespread.
  • In-app purchases.
  • Ad banners, texts, videos - this monetization model is constantly growing, encompassing the market of free applications.
  • User base. When the free software you own finally becomes popular, wins an audience, it can also be used for further monetization.

nikwen

Feb 1, 2013
Berlin, Germany
www.nikwen.de
Hi guys! Interesting discussion. Actually there are number of general ways to monetize an app:

• Paid applications. You create an app that will charge a certain amount from the beginning.
  • Freemium. A software product can be downloaded free (so-called 'lite' version), while its extended, 'premium' features and services are offered for a payment.
  • Subscription (paid access). This monetization model originates from real magazines and newspapers, and is also very widespread.
  • In-app purchases.
  • Ad banners, texts, videos - this monetization model is constantly growing, encompassing the market of free applications.
  • User base. When the free software you own finally becomes popular, wins an audience, it can also be used for further monetization.

And which one do you prefer?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Posting on forums, when allowed
    Contacting websites and suggesting the app for review
    Using admob for monetization
    We tried admob too, no luck there. Posting on forums (where allowed), trying to make a good icon and description and looots of luck :eek:
    we tried getting some reviews done too, but didn't see any rise in downloads. Also we got into a printed medium too, which didn't seem to have much impact either.
    One sulution

the hype to climb up

~dylan
    posting it on social network like google+,fb+twitter+forum is way better than admob