Samsung Continuum Questions

Search This thread

ntien

Apr 17, 2011
Hey guys, I have a few questions that I either couldn't figure out after researching for hours (seriously) or I just need some clarification on. I apologize if these questions have already been adressed. Also, I'm new to android so try to keep it simple for me.
1. What is a kernel? Can I flash multiple kernels to the same rom? Can I flash a kernel via clockwork recovery?
2. Ive been having problems with clockwork recovery. I got it installed (meaning I can get to the clockwork recovery menu after flashing the .tar file via odin and applying the update.zip) but if I select any of the items from the clockwork recovery menu the screen immediately goes blank and I have to perform a battery pull to boot the phone up again.
3. Clockwork recovery doesnt stick. When I apply the update.zip (which contains clockwork recovery mod) from the regular recovery menu I get a "e:verification whole-file error" message thingy unless I flash the .tar file via odin every single time before hand in which case I do get to the clockwork recovery menu, but the problem from the question above occurs.
4. How to flash the latest clockwork recovery + any needed kernel + any bug fixes + latest version of needed files? Plz post a link to a place where I can download the appropriate files. I ask this even though its been asked before because im wondering if the files I used are outdated and thats why I had the problems mentioned above.
5. Is there anyway I can restore my phone back to the way i first bought it (meaning no root, no update, etc.)
Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SCH-I400 using XDA App

TraMaI

Apr 29, 2011
The only one I can answer out of those is #5 (I suck at the coding part lol, I'll let someone more knowledgable answer those)

Go to settings -> Privacy -> Factory Data Reset.

Pretty sure that's what you're looking for :)

circa881

Apr 25, 2011
East Wenatchee
You're having weird problems. My clockwork doesn't stock either but I don't think anybody's does with the continuum. I have a clean DL17 ROM, the peanutbutta jelly time kernel and I haven't had any problems

ntien

Apr 17, 2011
Ill try again later on today and ill see what happens. Maybe it was just a one time glitch. Are you supposed to select the items from the clockwork recovery menu using the camera button or the menu button?
On a separate note, about the clockwork recovery sticking, i heard about a kernel that made it stick. True or false? And if I install a kernel on my phone now, and then flash the DL17 rom, do the effects of the kernel now apply to the DL17 rom as well? does the clockwork recovery mod that i flashed before also apply to the DL17 rom as well, or do i have to reinstall clockwork recovery? what bugs does the DL17 rom have? where are the fixes?

Last edited:

ntien

Apr 17, 2011
Can someone please post a link of this thread in the continuum android development section or point this thread to a dev because I don't have permission and I really badly want these questions answered! Thanks!

dfgged

Nov 13, 2010
I'll try and answer some of your questions as soon as I get to a computer.

Sent from my space time Continuum using the XDA App.

EDIT:
1. I'm not a dev, but here is what I understand about kernels. A kernel is part of android that contains the "drivers". You can use different kernels with the same ROM, but if you're asking if you can use 2 kernels at the same time with 1 ROM, then no, you can't. Kernels are usually flashed with clockwork, but we continuum users also use ODIN because of the difficulties with CWM not wanting to work on some phones.
2. Are uoi using the menu button to select in CWM? If you are, try clicking the lock button instead.
3. I can't help you there, sorry. :-/ My CWM always worked...
4.I'll see if I can't find a guide or 2. I'll make another video tut if needed.
5. There is a stock ODIN file that I helped make floating around here somewhere. The only thing is, the ODIN is rooted because it was needed to create the files.

I'll answer more questions later :p

Last edited:

ntien

Apr 17, 2011
Ok thanks a lot that helped clarify a few things. A video tutorial or a written tutorial would be great and if u could answer my other questions that would be fantastic! Thanks

ntien

Apr 17, 2011
Oh and do u flash a kernel in odin by putting the .pit file in the pit section and the kernel in the pda section?

ntien

Apr 17, 2011
Thanks for the answers guys! Can u look at the other questions that I posted and try to answer them?

dfgged

Nov 13, 2010
Ill try again later on today and ill see what happens. Maybe it was just a one time glitch. Are you supposed to select the items from the clockwork recovery menu using the camera button or the menu button?
On a separate note, about the clockwork recovery sticking, i heard about a kernel that made it stick. True or false? And if I install a kernel on my phone now, and then flash the DL17 rom, do the effects of the kernel now apply to the DL17 rom as well? does the clockwork recovery mod that i flashed before also apply to the DL17 rom as well, or do i have to reinstall clockwork recovery? what bugs does the DL17 rom have? where are the fixes?

AGH!!!! SO MANY QUESTIONS IN 1 POST >.<
ok.... Let's try and answer these *sigh*
1. If you are using the original CWM then, select is using the lock button. If you are using the new CWM the imnuts put out a few days ago, then selecting is the camera button. The latest CWM available, is the first link in the next quote.
2. ugh... I can't really comment on that, I've never had problems with CWM...
3. Yes, they do apply to the DL17 ROM.
4.CWM sticks as long as you flashed all the files correctly.
5. Which DL17 ROM? Adr's SC, or the debloated?
6. again, which one?
Oh and whats the difference between the following kernels? and can they all be flashed using clockwork recovery? and which kernel do you use? and what bugs to each of the kernels have?
1. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1057072
2. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=943833
3. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=926555

1. This is from what I know, just CWM. There isn't a "kernel" so to speak.
2.This is an epic kernal that I recommended trying :)
3. I would also recommend trying out this kernal. I'm not entirely sure what the differences between 2, and 3 are though...

Reactions: ntien

Weudel

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 18, 2010
Hey guys, I have a few questions that I either couldn't figure out after researching for hours (seriously) or I just need some clarification on. I apologize if these questions have already been adressed. Also, I'm new to android so try to keep it simple for me.
1. What is a kernel? Can I flash multiple kernels to the same rom? Can I flash a kernel via clockwork recovery?
2. Ive been having problems with clockwork recovery. I got it installed (meaning I can get to the clockwork recovery menu after flashing the .tar file via odin and applying the update.zip) but if I select any of the items from the clockwork recovery menu the screen immediately goes blank and I have to perform a battery pull to boot the phone up again.
3. Clockwork recovery doesnt stick. When I apply the update.zip (which contains clockwork recovery mod) from the regular recovery menu I get a "e:verification whole-file error" message thingy unless I flash the .tar file via odin every single time before hand in which case I do get to the clockwork recovery menu, but the problem from the question above occurs.
4. How to flash the latest clockwork recovery + any needed kernel + any bug fixes + latest version of needed files? Plz post a link to a place where I can download the appropriate files. I ask this even though its been asked before because im wondering if the files I used are outdated and thats why I had the problems mentioned above.
5. Is there anyway I can restore my phone back to the way i first bought it (meaning no root, no update, etc.)
Thanks in advance!

1. From wikipedia:
"In computing, the kernel is the central component of most computer operating systems; it is a bridge between applications and the actual data processing done at the hardware level. The kernel's responsibilities include managing the system's resources (the communication between hardware and software components). Usually as a basic component of an operating system, a kernel can provide the lowest-level abstraction layer for the resources (especially processors and I/O devices) that application software must control to perform its function. It typically makes these facilities available to application processes through inter-process communication mechanisms and system calls.
Operating system tasks are done differently by different kernels, depending on their design and implementation. While monolithic kernels execute all the operating system code in the same address space to increase the performance of the system, microkernels run most of the operating system services in user space as servers, aiming to improve maintainability and modularity of the operating system. A range of possibilities exists between these two extremes."

You can only run one kernel at a time.

2. dfggd's instruction vid might help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USHpl0s7qhk

3. CWM does not stick (yet)

4. You'll have to do your own research on this one. Personal taste comes in to play and it is ever-changing.

5. I know there's a DJ20 dump around here somewhere....

Reactions: ntien

ntien

Apr 17, 2011
hahahaha im sorry but i have a lot of questions lol. thanks for the help. if u can answer the other questions thatd be great, thanks. and in response to your answers:
TO DFGGED:
1. i need plain english here. whats the difference between the two clockworks? does it really matter which one i flash? if not, then i plan on using the original clockwork recovery mod so that i can flash a different kernel.
2. maybe its becuz i used the menu button to select an item so it freaked out. ill try it again as soon as i can find somebodys windows computer i can borrow to flash odin :p
3. and if i flash a kernel its permanent? i cant remove the kernel or flash a different kernel and overwrite it or something?
4. i definitely flashed all the files correctly and it didnt stick for me. maybe we just have different definitions of sticking. i have to flash odin every single time prior to going in to clockwork recovery. do u not have to do the same? i heard that flashing a custom kernel made it stick though so maybe thats it...
5. wait...i thought Adr's DL17 rom was the only one out for the samsung continuum. and that is the debloated/debinged/etc. isn't it?
6. if there are different roms and im just clueless, then can u post the link for both of the actual rom and fixes?
TO DFGGED(PART 2):
1. but doesnt it say flash the recovery kernel via odin? is that not a kernel?
2. what does this kernel do?
3. again, what does this kernel do?

TO WEUDEL:
1. kind of understood that lol but at least i get the basic idea
2. yup that helps to clarify a bit, thanks :)
3. i heard that custom kernels DOES make it stick. true or false?
4. look at my questions to dfgged above (in this post) and see if u can explain the differences to me in the kernels and original clockwork recover vs. imnuts clockwork recovery (and if imnuts clockwork recovery's recovery kernel is actually a kernel) and if there are indeed two different roms and the difference between them. and a link to a place where i can download the latest files for the fixes and actual rom. i would really appreciate it! :)
5. yup found it. thanks :)

ntien

Apr 17, 2011
oh and how do you flash a kernel via clockwork?

thanks so much for ur patience!!!! i owe all of u guys lol :p

Weudel

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 18, 2010
Well, since you are now over the 10 post threshold, I would suggest that you ask the specifics of these kernels within the kernel threads. That or try them all out and go with the one you like. This is a small community and the more testing everyone can do the better off we will all be.

ntien

Apr 17, 2011
I would but I dont have a windows computer so testing is pretty much impossible for me so...yeah anything anybody knows about the questions I just asked would be extremely helpful. Thanks again

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Oh and do u flash a kernel in odin by putting the .pit file in the pit section and the kernel in the pda section?

Yes, that is how you flash a kernal in odin.
    I didn't have to do mine that way

Sent from my SCH-I400 using XDA Premium App

AGH!!!! SO MANY QUESTIONS IN 1 POST >.<
    ok.... Let's try and answer these *sigh*
    1. If you are using the original CWM then, select is using the lock button. If you are using the new CWM the imnuts put out a few days ago, then selecting is the camera button. The latest CWM available, is the first link in the next quote.
    2. ugh... I can't really comment on that, I've never had problems with CWM...
    3. Yes, they do apply to the DL17 ROM.
    4.CWM sticks as long as you flashed all the files correctly.
    5. Which DL17 ROM? Adr's SC, or the debloated?
    6. again, which one?
    Oh and whats the difference between the following kernels? and can they all be flashed using clockwork recovery? and which kernel do you use? and what bugs to each of the kernels have?
    1. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1057072
    2. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=943833
    3. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=926555

1. This is from what I know, just CWM. There isn't a "kernel" so to speak.
    2.This is an epic kernal that I recommended trying :)
    3. I would also recommend trying out this kernal. I'm not entirely sure what the differences between 2, and 3 are though...
    Thanks in advance!

1. From wikipedia:
    "In computing, the kernel is the central component of most computer operating systems; it is a bridge between applications and the actual data processing done at the hardware level. The kernel's responsibilities include managing the system's resources (the communication between hardware and software components). Usually as a basic component of an operating system, a kernel can provide the lowest-level abstraction layer for the resources (especially processors and I/O devices) that application software must control to perform its function. It typically makes these facilities available to application processes through inter-process communication mechanisms and system calls.
    Operating system tasks are done differently by different kernels, depending on their design and implementation. While monolithic kernels execute all the operating system code in the same address space to increase the performance of the system, microkernels run most of the operating system services in user space as servers, aiming to improve maintainability and modularity of the operating system. A range of possibilities exists between these two extremes."

You can only run one kernel at a time.

2. dfggd's instruction vid might help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USHpl0s7qhk

3. CWM does not stick (yet)

4. You'll have to do your own research on this one. Personal taste comes in to play and it is ever-changing.

5. I know there's a DJ20 dump around here somewhere....
    oh and how do you flash a kernel via clockwork?

thanks so much for ur patience!!!! i owe all of u guys lol :p

You go to install zip file then install from sd card

Sent from my SCH-I400 using XDA Premium App