[Guide] How to restore to pure stock (no root, FFF, etc.) with TWRP

Search This thread

elephant007

Mar 10, 2008
I too would like confirm
THIS METHOD DOES WORK

And it worked flawlessly and the how to was spot on even with the notating of the error meassage and not to worry about it. If this method doesn't work for you I recommend stating over from scratchand doing it correctly. People shouldn't post messages like "don't use this method" unless they know for sure its the method and not their own error.

I used [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=139989]Kindle Fire Utility[/URL] to install the most recent TWRP and this made the rest of the process eastward 1-2-3

Thank you for a terrific guide... now to recustomize my Fire

raiderep

Feb 4, 2010
Eureka, CA
Also confirmed to work for me and my kindle. Contrary to a previous post the sky is NOT falling...:rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

spanky34

Jun 20, 2010
Champaign
Interesting. I flashed the 6.3.1 update and it went through successfully. No error in TWRP 2.1.1 :) Rebooted and KF was back to stock!

I flashed latest update.zip that I downloaded with KF Utility. Took awhile for first boot, but everything was stock after that. Now to turn it in to Amazon because the WiFi still doesn't work.

AustinFire

Feb 2, 2012
Pensacola
OnePlus 9 Pro
I flashed latest update.zip that I downloaded with KF Utility. Took awhile for first boot, but everything was stock after that. Now to turn it in to Amazon because the WiFi still doesn't work.

If you had it rooted, I would go to "Settings/Device/Return to Factory Defaults" to erase the sdcard before send it back to Amazon. I returned my old KF (had an screen ghosting problem:p) for a new one with no problems by doing this. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: gimmeitorilltell

Heresfitz

Jan 9, 2008
CWM

Does anyone know if this will work in CWM?

just thought I'd post as a quick note;

if you wish to restore to stock from CM7 or just go back to stock with no root or FireFireFire at all, TWRP works for it. quick tutorial:

1. download amazon's stock software: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_navbox_kspot_fireupdate?nodeId=200790620

2. rename it to update.zip and place on root of sdcard

3. boot into TWRP and wipe cache, dalvik cache and factory reset

4. flash update.zip, however it will stop the install mid-way and say it can not find the misc volume or something, but fear not

5. boot up and you'll be restored to stock! note FireFireFire and TWRP will have to be re-installed as well as re-root

I had issues at first boot like WiFi not working, but a factory reset changed that. now I'm gonna reinstall FFF and TWRP for some kernel action :D

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

Never mind...I installed TWRP and this worked like a champ! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Does anyone know if this will work in CWM?

Vexorg

Dec 16, 2010
I just tried doing this but I couldn't see the file from TWRP when i rebooted into recovery. Any ideas why this may be?

phonepersonality

Apr 30, 2009
Flawless.
Works perfectly and surprisingly quickly.
It's really not the OPs fault if people are too impatient, unwilling and for whatever reason, incapable of following simple instructions.

And the instructions were as simple and easy to follow as they come.

Great Job, OP!

Evo_Shift

Jan 17, 2011
I did this with the newest update. I was on gederom. Everything went as stated in the OP but mine didn't give me the message about can't find misc volume or whatever. The update.zip installed just like any other rom and I was back on stock.

Thanks OP.

jacewt

Mar 7, 2009
Los Angeles
This method worked perfectly for me, first go. Way easy. I was on one of the latest CM9 builds and downloaded the stock files from the Amazon link posted by the OP.

-Re-name the file in ES File explorer to update.zip
-Moved it to the root of the SD card
-Booted in to TWRP
-Factory Wipe/Restore
-Wiped Cache
-Wiped Dalvik Cache
-Wiped System
-Installed the "update.zip"
-Wiped cache/dalvik again
-Rebooted
-My Kindle Fire booted back into stock 6.2.2 in less the a minute.

Worked like a charm. No problems no warning, nothing.

tipzilla

Jan 29, 2012
Parma
Just returned mine to stock using this method and works awesome with 6.3.1. Just used ES File Explorer and renamed the *.bin file to *.zip and it flashed with no errors, just reboot and everything is back to stock no FFF or TWRP. Perfecto!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    just thought I'd post as a quick note;

if you wish to restore to stock from CM7 or just go back to stock with no root or FireFireFire at all, TWRP works for it. quick tutorial:

1. download amazon's stock software: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_navbox_kspot_fireupdate?nodeId=200790620

2. rename it to update.zip and place on root of sdcard

3. boot into TWRP and wipe cache, dalvik cache and factory reset

4. flash update.zip, however it will stop the install mid-way and say it can not find the misc volume or something, but fear not

5. boot up and you'll be restored to stock! note FireFireFire and TWRP will have to be re-installed as well as re-root

I had issues at first boot like WiFi not working, but a factory reset changed that. now I'm gonna reinstall FFF and TWRP for some kernel action :D
    This method worked perfectly for me, first go. Way easy. I was on one of the latest CM9 builds and downloaded the stock files from the Amazon link posted by the OP.

-Re-name the file in ES File explorer to update.zip
    -Moved it to the root of the SD card
    -Booted in to TWRP
    -Factory Wipe/Restore
    -Wiped Cache
    -Wiped Dalvik Cache
    -Wiped System
    -Installed the "update.zip"
    -Wiped cache/dalvik again
    -Rebooted
    -My Kindle Fire booted back into stock 6.2.2 in less the a minute.
    This worked for my Kindle Fire. But it did give me a scare though, since after I flashed it the Kindle Fire seemed to be on a boot loop as it kept blinking the "Kindle Fire" boot screen over and over, but then it suddenly started up.
    Restore to stock from CM7 worked fine.
    :)
    Quick question, does the restore/factory reset wipe the SD Card?

Thanks,
    ~J

nope, just system.