Mobeam(OmniBeam) available on Playstore!

Search This thread

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
As I understand it, it uses the proximity sensor, not the IR blaster. ASOP has a working proximity sensor.

It's an embedded "hardware" technology. An IR blaster or proximity sensor alone is not enough.

http://mobeam.com/press-releases/samsung/

Nope it doesn't

Now it makes sense didn't see it anywhere in the app description that this uses the it blaster no wonder it doesn't work

Mobeam team u should alter the desc and have it state that this won't on aosp cuz it uses the ir blaster

sent from my SGH - leet ( i337) using Tapatalk 4 beta

Technically, you shouldn't have an aosp ROM on your phone. Mobeam technology (as of now) is only available on the S4, so it makes sense that it would be geared towards (legal?) stock ROM. I'm not saying this to debate the morality or legality of flashing (we are all at XDA so we all do it to some extent), but just to show that Mobeam really has no reason or obligation to put a disclaimer about it's software not working on unauthorized ROMs. And why would they?

h20rat

Oct 19, 2010
Seems the mobile play store wording is different from desktop now. Said my i9505 was incompatible with this version...go to desktop says incompatible - not available in your country. Apk installed sideload no problems anyway :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
Does anyone know if this works for "Belly" discounts?

Belly uses a monitor that scans a card I carry on my keychain.
I googled the two terms but didn't come up with anything.

pinoymutt

Nov 7, 2008
SoCal
Does anyone know if this works for "Belly" discounts?

Belly uses a monitor that scans a card I carry on my keychain.
I googled the two terms but didn't come up with anything.

I got a Belly card at a dog bakery and they use an iPad mini to scan the keychain card -- is this the same one (logo has a blue square with a white dog it in)? If it's the same one with a QR code instead of a traditional barcode, I got an error from OmniBeam when trying to add it because the code was not all integers (I think the QR code contains symbols).

I would assume as these type of codes become more popular apps like this would be updated. Belly seems a little ahead of the curve (but still very cool nonetheless)...

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2013
How OmniBeam is Different

Looks exactly like Key Ring which I had on my previous and current phone. Does anyone know of a major difference before I start rescanning all my loyalty cards? :D

The biggest difference between OmniBeam and apps like KeyRing is that you can easily use OmniBeam to redeem your loyalty card directly through the laser scanner at checkout. Apps like KeyRing rely on the retailer having an optical (CCD) based scanner, which most retailers (especially supermarkets, etc.) do not have. Instead of trying to get a scanner to read a barcode off the screen, OmniBeam "blinks" the IR LED associated with the proximity sensor. To the scanner the rapidly blinking light pattern exactly duplicates the signal the scanner is otherwise expecting to see as a reflection of a printed barcode. For those retailers that do have optical scanners, the barcode can be read off the screen.

Dave Beebe
mobeam inc.

Reactions: pinoymutt

cmjkxa

May 24, 2011
San diego
I beamed the loyalty card with a coupon clipped to the card but all it did was show "great associate" without any coupon activated. Does the coupon beam with the loyalty card and if so why did it just show "great associate"? This was at albertsons by the way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda premium

Jun 17, 2013
I beamed the loyalty card with a coupon clipped to the card but all it did was show "great associate" without any coupon activated. Does the coupon beam with the loyalty card and if so why did it just show "great associate"? This was at albertsons by the way.

Savings are not given when you checkout at the store, instead they are deposited into your SavingStar account typically within 2-14 days after your purchase, depending upon how quickly the store sends SavingStar purchase data. Some stores can take up to 22 days to post your savings. .

Best regards,

Dave Beebe
mobeam inc.

h20rat

Oct 19, 2010
Has anyone got the latest apk to sideload? :) works awesomely but there's been an update to initial release.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

oddspec

Sep 28, 2011
palm bay
Google Pixel 7
Thanks for your interest. We have been unable to get our hands on one of the GE devices, so we can't be certain. Our suspicion is that it lacks the platform drivers for the mobeam-specific hardware.

We are investigating and will report back here what we find.

Regards,

Dave Beebe
mobeam inc.

The GE edition will be the same as running any aosp ROM on the carrier edtoin so basically this won't work til Samsung releases drivers to GE or aosp find a workaround

Jun 17, 2013
Says it is not compatible with my phone. I have a i337m from Bell. Stock, just rooted. Nothing special.
Due to coupon content distribution restrictions, we are not able to make OmniBeam available to users outside the US. We are working diligently on bringing a similar app to market without those restrictions, and hope to have it available in the coming weeks. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Dave Beebe
mobeam inc.

flbui002

Apr 2, 2011
Does it work on Google Edition?

I'm using the ROM for the GE S4 on my S4 and it's working great. I've used it at my gym and Kroger and neither had any issues. I surprise the people at the gym all the time because they always say "you know, it's not going to scan and i've never ran across one that did but we will try anyways" and bam, it works the first time, all the time. Love this app. :highfive:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobeam.wallet

Haven't tried it yet but will soon! Let us know if you do! :laugh:
    Doesn't work on Google Play edition 4.4. Transferring the permissions doesn't work. I don't know if the problem is with Google or Mobeam. If it's Mobeam, please make it compatible with 4.4.
    As I understand it, it uses the proximity sensor, not the IR blaster. ASOP has a working proximity sensor.

It's an embedded "hardware" technology. An IR blaster or proximity sensor alone is not enough.

http://mobeam.com/press-releases/samsung/

Nope it doesn't

Now it makes sense didn't see it anywhere in the app description that this uses the it blaster no wonder it doesn't work

Mobeam team u should alter the desc and have it state that this won't on aosp cuz it uses the ir blaster

Technically, you shouldn't have an aosp ROM on your phone. Mobeam technology (as of now) is only available on the S4, so it makes sense that it would be geared towards (legal?) stock ROM. I'm not saying this to debate the morality or legality of flashing (we are all at XDA so we all do it to some extent), but just to show that Mobeam really has no reason or obligation to put a disclaimer about it's software not working on unauthorized ROMs. And why would they?
    That's so weird. I was able to download it....

http://db.tt/CBQ9jJ0H

I uploaded the apk for all. =]

Google is involved in the process of making their Play edition. It's possible, they, intentionally or unintentionally, made it incompatible with Mobeam. There's also the possibility of patent trolls preventing Mobeam support from being added to new versions. Or maybe everyone thought it was someone else's job to support Mobeam. Lots of possibilities. All speculation. But the bottom line is that Mobeam does not work on any existing device with 4.4, official or unofficial and Mobeam is in danger of becoming obsolete before it even really took off.

A crying shame. Even if there was another app that supported / enabled the barcode emulator hardware, it would be good.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk