[APP][2.3+] Lux Auto Brightness

599 posts
Thanks Meter: 669

By Cyb3rGlitch, Senior Member on 19th October 2012, 12:58 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
6th May 2013, 08:36 AM |#621  
Thanks Meter: 84

More
Curiously WLD records high levels of wakelocks for Lux but does NOT list Lux in the list of "wakeup triggers".....??

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
6th May 2013, 12:38 PM |#622  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I'm a proud owner of the Premium version.
I've seen severe battery drain when using Android Revolution ROM on my Galaxy Note 2 , I've installed AllianceRom today and shall check
12th May 2013, 07:59 AM |#623  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Question
Do I need to disable the system automatic brightness setting before using Lux or do they run alongside eachother? Also what are the differences between the free and paid versions?
12th May 2013, 08:12 AM |#624  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 669

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastgodsupreme

Constant calls from the alarm manager even though I have it set to adjust brightness only on screen wake. No location services have been enabled for the device and it's on slowest poll rate yet it's doing them pretty frequently in debugs (every 6 seconds).

Questions now...
If brightness adjust is set to happen on screen wake, why is it still constantly being called from AlarmManager?
Wouldn't it make sense to use android.intent.action.SCREEN_ON?
Why is it checking when the screen is off?

Definitely can't recommend or buy this until these are answered/resolved.

Lux needs to poll every few seconds to check which app is currently in the foreground. This is required to disable Lux when an app in the 'sleep list' is open. I used to make the sleep list optional, but then I got swamped with people who couldn't install apps because Lux's overlay was enabled.

That being said, this polling is disabled when the display is off, so I'm not sure why some people are having issues with partial wakelocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglime

Do I need to disable the system automatic brightness setting before using Lux or do they run alongside eachother? Also what are the differences between the free and paid versions?

You need to disable the system auto-brightness for Lux to work reliably. The paid version has automatic night mode and finer grained adjustment settings.
12th May 2013, 08:14 AM |#625  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyb3rGlitch

Lux needs to poll every few seconds to check which app is currently in the foreground. This is required to disable Lux when an app in the 'sleep list' is open. I used to make the sleep list optional, but then I got swamped with people who couldn't install apps because Lux's overlay was enabled.

That being said, this polling is disabled when the display is off, so I'm not sure why some people are having issues with partial wakelocks.

You need to disable the system auto-brightness for Lux to work reliably. The paid version has automatic night mode and finer grained adjustment settings.

Thank you for the quick response. I'm going to try out the lite version and will most likely be buying the full version in a few days.
12th May 2013, 09:06 AM |#626  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
will it consume battery much with constantly detection of brightness of environment ?
12th May 2013, 03:35 PM |#627  
Flag Richmond, KY
Thanks Meter: 435

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyb3rGlitch

Hmm, if it's only affecting some of us and you haven't seen a relationship between devices or OS, it might be one of our settings.

What if people who have this problem posted all their Settings and those who didn't also did? What that be helpful or tell you things you already knew?

I did note that after disabling Lux and re-enabling it, the wakelocks temporarily disappeared.

We're not solving some chaotic migration of two legged beetles, dang it! These are computers and they are predictable!
12th May 2013, 04:39 PM |#628  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikjadoon

Hmm, if it's only affecting some of us and you haven't seen a relationship between devices or OS, it might be one of our settings.

What if people who have this problem posted all their Settings and those who didn't also did? What that be helpful or tell you things you already knew?

I did note that after disabling Lux and re-enabling it, the wakelocks temporarily disappeared.

We're not solving some chaotic migration of two legged beetles, dang it! These are computers and they are predictable!

As I mentioned above, curiously, WLD records high levels of wakelocks for Lux but does NOT list Lux in the list of "wakeup triggers". I'm not sure if this is a clue to what's going on as I'm not clear what WLD does.

Also, are we sure this affects only some users? Despite the 1000's recorded wakelocks when the device is asleep, it's not causing me severely degraded battery life (though I have NOT done tests). Maybe it's affecting many, but few are complaining/have noticed? As you'll see below my OS doesn't come much more stock than an N4...
13th May 2013, 02:22 AM |#629  
Flag Richmond, KY
Thanks Meter: 435

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WibblyW

As I mentioned above, curiously, WLD records high levels of wakelocks for Lux but does NOT list Lux in the list of "wakeup triggers". I'm not sure if this is a clue to what's going on as I'm not clear what WLD does.

Also, are we sure this affects only some users? Despite the 1000's recorded wakelocks when the device is asleep, it's not causing me severely degraded battery life (though I have NOT done tests). Maybe it's affecting many, but few are complaining/have noticed? As you'll see below my OS doesn't come much more stock than an N4...

Hmmm...odd. Maybe you could shoot off a quick email with a screenshot or a description to WLD's developer? Maybe he might have some insight as to why he has two categories, wakelocks and wakelock triggers, and what exactly differentiates those.

For me, it indirectly causes huge battery drains: if the phone is forced awake by Lux, the WiFi is on (WiFi sleep policy), and then every other app has a "license" to use that WiFi to sync, download, and update. If nothing keeps it awake, if it all works right, then hitting "sleep" should make the phone go asleep and the WiFi is off.

~Ibrahim~
13th May 2013, 02:01 PM |#630  
Flag Egypt - Cairo
Thanks Meter: 152

More
Not working with Xperia Arc , I think it has a problem using the light sensor since it doesn't read it in Debug menu.
14th May 2013, 11:19 AM |#631  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikjadoon

Hmmm...odd. Maybe you could shoot off a quick email with a screenshot or a description to WLD's developer? Maybe he might have some insight as to why he has two categories, wakelocks and wakelock triggers, and what exactly differentiates those.
~Ibrahim~

I quote:

---

Wake-up trigger shows the list of of apps which are registered to AlarmManager. In Android, apps register events to AlarmManager to do periodic checkups.

If there are very big number of wake-ups for some app, that means that app is waking up your device too frequently and doing some operation.

Wakelock is different from wakeup, Wakelock is used by apps to keep device awake for certain period, and where wake-up trigger is used to awake device.

---

Lux for me (stock N4) is doing 1000's of wakelocks and is not listed in the wakeup list. I've no idea if that would be expected, or if it helps debug this issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to WibblyW For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift WibblyW Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)