[GUIDE] [4/26/12] [CWM 5.8.1.3 *TOUCH*] NVFlashing CWM Recovery for Dummies

Search This thread

STANC1

Dec 10, 2009
Im having flash issues on this

I type this in the command box and i get it to flash but it comes back saying its starting but it says --b1 is an unknown command am i doing something wrong

cd \
cd g2x\nvflash
nvflash.exe --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 5 recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-p999.img

jaywillsoul

Apr 3, 2012
Vineland
something I've learned. You can skip the change directory (cd) and just drag an drop the files. so it should look something like: C:\(user and directory)/>--bct (bct file) --bl (Boot loader file) --download 5 (CWM boot image)

when you drag and drop it adjustst the directory command for you.

Reactions: buru898

cricketAC

Aug 5, 2011
I type this in the command box and i get it to flash but it comes back saying its starting but it says --b1 is an unknown command am i doing something wrong

cd \
cd g2x\nvflash
nvflash.exe --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 5 recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-p999.img

Because it's bl not b1.

Whyzor

Jul 7, 2011
Just a suggestion, you could create a flash.bat file and have it include the first part of the long command line since it's consistently the same for different recoveries on the G2x, only the last .img parameter is different for different CWM versions. So the user would just have to type something like 'flash.bat cwm5.0.2.8.img' That way there's less chance of messing things up for the user.

Also should probably add 5.0.2.8 up there too in OP.

Reactions: KiNG OMaR

mustangtim49

May 20, 2011
Sea of Tranquility, Moon
That does not work on Windows 8, you get the same error as using the other versions.... It's the "third-party INF does not contain digital signature information" error that we get when we try to install the APX drivers
35mqqed.png

I don't know what you're doing wrong, but I updated both my phones with windows 8 and had re-flash both my phones with 5.8.1.3 on windows 8. So no, you're wrong, it does work on windows 8.

mustangtim49@xda-developers.com

KiNG OMaR

Sep 20, 2010
Chicago
Here's a newer method to update the recovery. It's an all-in-one package (if you have the drivers installed) :eek:

This will flash the 5.8.1.3 touch based recovery for you:
  1. Download NVFlash5813.zip
  2. Unzip and run this script "G2x NVFlasher for Dummies 5813.bat"

Please tell me how it goes, I really don't have an LG phone to test this on so I'm relying on feedback from you to make this recovery flashing an easier job!

karlnorth

Here's a newer method to update the recovery. It's an all-in-one package (if you have the drivers installed) :eek:

This will flash the 5.8.1.3 touch based recovery for you:
  1. Download NVFlash5813.zip
  2. Unzip and run this script "G2x NVFlasher for Dummies 5813.bat"

Please tell me how it goes, I really don't have an LG phone to test this on so I'm relying on feedback from you to make this recovery flashing an easier job!

I just tried them on my boss's bricked G2x. They did the same as the other versions. It just stalls at on 'Waiting for Bootloader to initialize".
See my main thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=30968442#post30968442

Help??

vsnstarguy

Sep 17, 2012
Bangalore
Need help - Cwm bootloop - o2x

Friends, im Lg O2x user. got stuck in cwm(5.0.2.7) bootloop. Nvflash and adb works for me ..!! but still stuck in cwm bootloop and below errors. [Smartflash not working - due to phone not entering s/w upgrade when trying manually]

E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log

More details on these:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1894263&page=2

Can nvflash resolve this issue cwm bootloop and above errors? please help . :(

tahahawa

Oct 14, 2010
Friends, im Lg O2x user. got stuck in cwm(5.0.2.7) bootloop. Nvflash and adb works for me ..!! but still stuck in cwm bootloop and below errors. [Smartflash not working - due to phone not entering s/w upgrade when trying manually]

E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log

More details on these:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1894263&page=2

Can nvflash resolve this issue cwm bootloop and above errors? please help . :(

It can but don't use this one. It won't work for you, it might even make it worse. Try homero's NVFlash ROM. I think it's the O3D one.

vsnstarguy

Sep 17, 2012
Bangalore
It can but don't use this one. It won't work for you, it might even make it worse. Try homero's NVFlash ROM. I think it's the O3D one.

Explored additional information.my Internal EMMC has partitioning/mounting issues.(w:failed to mount /dev/block/mmcblkop2)
Also confirmed my EMMC is not fried(via adb). ( dmesg | grep mmc0)

Thanks for the reply tahahawa. I will try Homero's nvflash rom and update.. Hoping will bring back my o2x to life :)

noahk423

Sep 4, 2011
Explored additional information.my Internal EMMC has partitioning/mounting issues.(w:failed to mount /dev/block/mmcblkop2)
Also confirmed my EMMC is not fried(via adb). ( dmesg | grep mmc0)

Thanks for the reply tahahawa. I will try Homero's nvflash rom and update.. Hoping will bring back my o2x to life :)

It didn't work because the O2x has different partitions than the G2x. So, this is not something you would use for your phone. But you did, but hopefully you can get it working again.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda app-developers app

mcx_123

Jun 21, 2009
NVflash bootloader download failed - FIX

I kept on getting the 'bootloader download failed' message in nvflash but I figured out what was wrong!

Right-click on the .exe program and go to properties and set it to run with compatibility to Windows XP (SP 3). Now it works perfectly and I'm able to flash the recovery! :laugh:

Urch

Jan 24, 2013
help

I installed the APX Device Driver successfully but when I tried the NVFlash step, I got this message " --b1 argument missing" Please I need help urgently. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

I installed the APX Device Driver successfully but when I tried the NVFlash step, I got this message " --b1 argument missing" Please I need help urgently. Thanks.
NB: I am using LG-P999 on Android 2.3.3.

Arinberd

Mar 27, 2012
I have problem where my G2x booting only in CWM and it does not recognize usb. I have tried installing other rom, but it only boots in recovery. Any suggestions?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This has been tested and confirmed to be working. Follow instructions to the key and you should be good to go!
    If you are having ANY issues, watch the video below before posting! It seems to solve a lot of the errors

*WARNING* *WARNING* *WARNING*
    NVFlash is a powerful utility that works at a very low level on your phone. There are few safety mechanisms built into a tool like this because it is intended for use by people with suitable training. This CAN brick your device. It is unlikely to create an irrecoverable situation, but it does have the power to create a situation that you can not recover from yourself, thus requiring factory maintenance. Warranty coverage for your phone is not guaranteed after using NVFlash. Please proceed with the use of the tool carefully and at your own risk.​

All credit goes to RussUnderhill, Fitsnugly, krylon360, player911, djmcnz and mapin0518 who made this guide possible :)

Useful hint: Copy and paste the commands into the command prompt to reduce error :)

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

The files you need:
    1. NVFlash.zip (Windows NVFlash app + CWM Recovery 5.0.2.0 Image)
    2. APX Driver.zip (APX Driver)

Optional files:

Now let's extract the files:

We will be extracting to these two folders:
    Code:
    C:\G2x\APX Driver
    C:\G2x\NVFlash
    Extract APX Driver.zip to C:\G2x\APX Driver
    Extract NVFlash.zip to C:\G2x\NVFlash

Here's how to do it:
    • Remove the battery
    • Hold Vol Up/Down (and keep them held)
    • Insert the USB cable

• Install APX driver from the your APX folder
      For windows 7(and vista? please confirm):
      Open Device Manager in Windows and you should see "APX Device" listed with an error
      Right click on the APX device
      Select 'Update driver software'
      Select 'Browse my computer...'
      Select 'Let me pick...'
      Select 'Have disk'
      Browse to directory you extracted the *driver* software to: C:\G2x\APX Driver
      Select the *entire* 'APX Driver' folder; Do not go inside of it!
      Accept any warnings, including the big red alert (you may need to disable UAC)
      Now in Device Manager under 'USB Controllers' you should have an 'NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery driver for mobile devices'
      If not, uninstall the driver, reboot, rinse and repeat​

• Unplug everything
    • Insert USB cable
    • open command prompt
    • navigate to your NVFlash folder:
    Code:
    cd \
    cd g2x\nvflash

You should see it send a bunch of files to the device and the phone screen should say "S/W Upgrade - Please wait while upgrading...". You can let go of the volume buttons at this point. Once the files are sent and the program is finished running in the command window, you CAN just pull the USB cord or be safe and just wait a few extra minutes, however it will still say "upgrading."

To get into Recovery:
    • Plug the battery back in (or power off the device if it was on)
    • Hold Vol Down + Power until you see the LG splash screen with blue highlights (that means keep holding for ~10 seconds after you see the LG boot screen).

This is if you already have all the files and drivers set up:
    How to flash ClockworkMod Recovery 5.8.1.3:

CWM Touch is still experimental. Flash at your own risk. Do not expect much help if something goes wrong or does not work right, be prepared for some crisis management. Not everything works properly, but when it does work, it works pretty well. This has bugs. Do NOT flash this unless you know how to flash an alternate recovery if things go wrong.​

• download the 5.8.1.3 clockworkmod *TOUCH* recovery image
    • place p999-5.8.1.3.img in C:\G2x\NVFlash
    • Unplug everything
    • remove the battery
    • Insert USB cable
    • open command prompt
    • execute the following commands:
    Code:
    cd \
    cd g2x\nvflash
    nvflash.exe --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 5 p999-5.8.1.3.img

How to flash ClockworkMod Recovery 5.0.2.7:
    • download the 5.0.2.7 clockworkmod recovery image
    • place recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.7-p999.img in C:\G2x\NVFlash
    • Unplug everything
    • remove the battery
    • Insert USB cable
    • open command prompt
    Code:
    cd \
    cd g2x\nvflash
    nvflash.exe --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 5 recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.7-p999.img

How to revert back to stock recovery:
    • download the optional stock recovery image
    • extract or place part5.img in C:\G2x\NVFlash
    • Unplug everything
    • remove the battery
    • Insert USB cable
    • open command prompt
    Code:
    cd \
    cd g2x\nvflash
    nvflash.exe --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 5 part5.img

NVFlash for dummies - Guide to set up and flash a recovery
    ***Poor quality and outdated but it gets the job done***

Frequently asked questions:
    Where do I place the .img files?
    You place the .img files in the NVFlash folder you created PRIOR to flashing.

I'm getting an error.
    • You MUST keep both volume buttons held down the whole time until you get the success message in command prompt!
    • Try using a different USB port on the computer
    Here's how to do it for all the little nooblies :p
    I won't add it to the OP until it is confirmed working and/or stable.
    Credit goes out to @RussUnderhill for getting a working touch recovery for the G2x.

• Unplug everything
    • remove the battery
    • Insert USB cable
    • open command prompt
    Code:
    cd \
    cd g2x\nvflash
    nvflash.exe --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 5 p999-5.8.1.3.img
    I've added the instructions to flash the touch recovery to the OP, with a nice little warning. Guys, don't use this unless you know how to fix it.

Also, Windows 8 is beta software in itself, I wouldn't trust this to work on it anyways.

CWM Touch is still experimental. Flash at your own risk. Do not expect much help if something goes wrong or does not work right, be prepared for some crisis management. Not everything works properly, but when it does work, it works pretty well. This has bugs. Do NOT flash this unless you know how to flash an alternate recovery if things go wrong.​

• Unplug everything
    • remove the battery
    • Insert USB cable
    • open command prompt
    Code:
    cd \
    cd g2x\nvflash
    I believe the OP is still incorrect as far as the code goes.

The OP says
    Code:
    nvflash.exe --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 5 recovery-star-test2.img

When it should say
    Code:
    nvflash.exe --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR_0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 5 recovery-star-test2.img

Notice the MLR-0DM is changed to MLR_0DM. When I tried with the - I get the
    downloading bootloader -- load address: 0x108000 entry point: 0x108000
    sending file: fastboot.bin
    / 1024992/1024992 bytes sent
    fastboot.bin sent successfully
    waiting for bootloader to initialize
    bootloader failed NvError 0x0
    command failure: bootloader download failed

When I tried with the _ it worked with no problems and writes successfully.

Sorry people, I actually did try to record this for a video but it turns out in order to NVFlash this successfully AND record the video, I would need at least 3 hands.
    I downloaded everything in his post, and the only way it would flash is with the _ not the -

I flashed the same way multiple times and it seems to work for me... :confused:

Anyways, here's the crap video I promised:
    Feel free to upload your own - one made with an actual camera ;)