How to boot into Clockwork Mod Recovery from Power Off

Search This thread

tbcpn

Dec 15, 2008
PDX
I've had a Droid Incredible (AMOLED) for sometime, Unrevoked Forever. Flashed many, many ROMs and kernels, and numerous recovery backups.

Picked up a Droid X yesterday (still have my Dinc). Rooted using Z41, and have permanent root. Paid for and downloaded Bootstrap, and had ROM Manager from my Dinc.

I've spent a good six hours reading the various "how to" threads and Googling, but I'm not finding the solution to my issue.

I can boot into Clockworkmod Recovery from within Bootstrap.

But, I cannot figure how to boot into Clockworkmod Recovery from power off state. When I hold the Home button while powering up, hitting the Search button boots my DX into the stock recovery, NOT Clockworkmod Recovery.

I guess my question is, how / is it possible to make Clockworkmod Recovery the default recovery when booting from power off?

Looking forward to getting to know the DX community on XDA.

tbcpn

Dec 15, 2008
PDX
To boot into clock work from power off...hold vol down then press power. Hold about 10 seconds. You should be good to go...

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

That is the method on the Dinc, which I'd tried. But, just now did it and released the power button after the Moto logo appeared and continued to hold the vol down, and there was the familiar Clockworkmod Recovery glowing green.

Old habits.

Thanks!

tbcpn

Dec 15, 2008
PDX
That is the method on the Dinc, which I'd tried. But, just now did it and released the power button after the Moto logo appeared and continued to hold the vol down, and there was the familiar Clockworkmod Recovery glowing green.

Old habits.

Thanks!

Well, so I flashed a ROM (ApeX 1.3 which runs well), but once again I can boot into Clockworkmod Recovery via Bootstrap, but cannot (or have not found a way) boot into Clockworkmod Recovery from power down, even using the above method that worked with the rooted stock .340.

Not a biggie unless something bad happens, of course. :rolleyes:

Thoughts? The ROM? Me?

Reactions: hsr0

Sheen160

Feb 18, 2010
Ravenholm
Well, so I flashed a ROM (ApeX 1.3 which runs well), but once again I can boot into Clockworkmod Recovery via Bootstrap, but cannot (or have not found a way) boot into Clockworkmod Recovery from power down, even using the above method that worked with the rooted stock .340.

Thoughts? The ROM? Me?

From Koush's website:

What if my phone won't boot? How do I get into recovery without the app?

When the hijacker runs, it will automatically create the "/data/.recovery_mode" file after it finishes. This tells the system that the next time it boots, it should boot into recovery. But, when the system starts, the Droid X Recovery Bootstrap will then delete that file when Android is fully started, to prevent you from booting into recovery. So what does this mean? If you fail to boot, simply pull your battery, and your next boot will be into recovery (unless your /system is *really* hosed, in which case you need to SBF).

I'd probably just press bootstrap recovery in the app every time you turn your phone on. So just in case you DO need it next time you boot up, it'll be there. Damn moto and their locked phone..

tbcpn

Dec 15, 2008
PDX
From Koush's website:

What if my phone won't boot? How do I get into recovery without the app?

When the hijacker runs, it will automatically create the "/data/.recovery_mode" file after it finishes. This tells the system that the next time it boots, it should boot into recovery. But, when the system starts, the Droid X Recovery Bootstrap will then delete that file when Android is fully started, to prevent you from booting into recovery. So what does this mean? If you fail to boot, simply pull your battery, and your next boot will be into recovery (unless your /system is *really* hosed, in which case you need to SBF).

I'd probably just press bootstrap recovery in the app every time you turn your phone on. So just in case you DO need it next time you boot up, it'll be there. Damn moto and their locked phone..

That doesn't do it either. Must be the custom ROM.

Somewhat OT, but you're right about the "damn Moto and their locked phone." Coming from the Dinc, I'm not accustomed to this sort of hassle. Having said that, altho I've only had the DX for a couple days (and still have my Dinc), I am liking the big screen, albeit not as nice as the AMOLED, and the really solid build of the DX--it's a good phone. Looking forward to the Thunderbolt...:D

Zeklandia

Nov 21, 2011

Old habits.

Thanks!

I am on .605 base running MIUI ICS on my Droid X, and this did not work for me. I need to be able to access clockwork to fix my phone. Somebady plz help me!:(

infazzdar

Dec 20, 2010
I am on .605 base running MIUI ICS on my Droid X, and this did not work for me. I need to be able to access clockwork to fix my phone. Somebady plz help me!:(

Reboot your phone, when it's on the Motorola logo a blue LED will flash, when it does press the volume down button.

From there you can navigate to ClockworkMod Recovery.

Reactions: Zeklandia

Zeklandia

Nov 21, 2011
Thank you so much!!!!!

YOU HAVE SAVED ME!!! Now where is that dang thanks button.
Is it possible to set up a MIUI / CM74DX-GB dual-boot with that menu?

Last edited:

CASPERXDA213

Nov 4, 2011
Reboot your phone, when it's on the Motorola logo a blue LED will flash, when it does press the volume down button.

Hello ALL.... I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but none of these seem to work for me.....I rooted Droid X using D3 one click method it worked and got Droid X to root....I have not installed bootstrap or any type of booting apps but in the past I have and was still unsuccesful at getting into Clockwork recovery from power-off state......oh and I don't see any blue light...... please help

Kestrelator

Jun 25, 2011
Having same issue as poster above: Can NOT get into CWM recovery. (Also have Rom Toolbox installed, and I can't get into Recovery via that app, either.)

Running Liquid 3.2, and no matter what I try, I can only get into stock recovery.

EDIT: Was able to get into CWM Recovery from ROM Manager: Select Reboot into CWM Recovery, then hold VOL DOWN button while phone reboots. Voila! (Still doesn't solve original issue, but it's progress.)

Last edited:

droidxguy1

Dec 4, 2011
i rooted using the terminal method on mac. i cant post a link it wont let me but its on droid life. i cant figure out how to reboot into clockwork mod or stock recovery i want to flash this new liquid rom i downloaded. can someone tell me how to do this or provide a link i can use to help me? thanks.

landmarkaudio

Nov 1, 2009
I also have sbf'd liquid 3.2. I've had a terrible time with the radio. Wifi works, it doesn't. 3G works, it doesn't. Market works, it doesn't. So, I just sbf'd the rom again but the phone is stuck in a boot loop. I need to get into Clockwork to try "wiping", but I can't get in. Seems like it's yet another issue with liquid 3.2. Anybody have any ideas?

infazzdar

Dec 20, 2010
I also have sbf'd liquid 3.2. I've had a terrible time with the radio. Wifi works, it doesn't. 3G works, it doesn't. Market works, it doesn't. So, I just sbf'd the rom again but the phone is stuck in a boot loop. I need to get into Clockwork to try "wiping", but I can't get in. Seems like it's yet another issue with liquid 3.2. Anybody have any ideas?

After SBFing you won't be able to enter ClockworkMod Recovery. Use stock recovery to format data and cache.

TuxDude

Dec 14, 2010
Mountain View, CA
I'm unable to boot into Clockword mod recovery as well when I choose to do so from the ROM manager... It just reboots my phone back that's all...

I'm on stock 605 and just rooted my phone - no boot strap or bootloader apps I've installed other than the CWM recovery 5.0.2.0 I installed through ROM manager v4.8.0.6

I'm able to boot into Stock recovery (Search button and then volume keys) but not into cwm recovery....

Any suggestions what I'm doing wrong ? I even tried volume down key during power up - doesnt seem to help. I dont see any blue LED either during the moto logo...

Thanks...

EDIT/UPDATE: I installed the Droid X bootstrap apk, Install bootstrap, and Reboot into recovery and that seemed to start up CWM recovery fine :) I guess ROM manager was not installing the right CWM boostrap... From the ROM manager I was selecting the Droid X, (had tried Droid X 2nd init as well as Droid 2 - didnt seem to make any difference that time)....

Last edited:

infazzdar

Dec 20, 2010
On blur roms you always have to use the Droid 2 Bootstrapper app before flashing ClockworkMod Recovery in Rom Manager.

johnejo

Jul 29, 2011
USB Debugging

I was having a terrible time getting into any kind of recovery, Bootstrap, Rom Manager, etc., that is until I remembered something I read sometime back. I unchecked USB Debugging and then had virtually no problem with getting into recovery mode.

So, having said all that, check to see if your USB Debugging is checked or not. That might make a difference for you.

Reactions: krystra

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To boot into clock work from power off...hold vol down then press power. Hold about 10 seconds. You should be good to go...

Old habits.

Thanks!

Old habits.

Thanks!

Thoughts? The ROM? Me?

USB Debugging

I was having a terrible time getting into any kind of recovery, Bootstrap, Rom Manager, etc., that is until I remembered something I read sometime back. I unchecked USB Debugging and then had virtually no problem with getting into recovery mode.

So, having said all that, check to see if your USB Debugging is checked or not. That might make a difference for you.