Thanks Meter: 2

By mystica555, Member on 13th February 2009, 12:46 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
17th February 2009, 08:41 PM |#41  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlur

I've been running it for a couple of days now and still haven't encountered any problems with performance. The issue that is bothering me now and I didn't foresee is that the SD Card cannot be mounted anymore while doing this. Since I don't know much about this and just following suggestions from this thread, does it make sense to try to swap with the ext2 partition of my SD Card? I'm going to try it out either way but figured you guys might have an idea.

Edit: It looks like this was already discussed earlier in the thread and the answer is yes, it work well with the ext2 partition. Now if someone could explain how to make the changes permanent, that would be great.

17th February 2009, 08:46 PM |#42  
Flag Galicia
Thanks Meter: 65

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoridinBG

You didn't really read the link in Kernel Trap about swappiness. Did you?
You have no idea of the organisation of swap in the linux kernel. Do you?
Swap a driver. Really?
Have you noticed that in normal circumstances you can not have less than 65-70MB of RAM used on the phone. Some things are meant to stay in RAM and they do.

No i didnt read the article talking about the 9 wonders in kernel trap, i only read my favorites and kernel.org's changelogs. kernel trap is boring.

i remember reading about swappiness about 10-12 years ago when i really needed memory in my pc, i researched swap swapiness and i was testing for weeks in computers lacking enought ram, and i taked a decition then, and i will hold it until you demonstrate me than i am wrong. and i stated before, swap only is meant to be used in certain and specific conditions. (i never said its useless)

im not going to research swappiness again, just to respond your post, anyway, swapiness looked nice on paper, very promising, etc. but the fact is, im sure its the same thing used to be even after 10 years of development. And you know why? When you need memory no matter how good is the program swapping to disk. Disk is slow, terribly slow. period.

Maybe i dont know as much about swap as you, but this is old story wich will lead to the same results.
I readed your posts, and you maked same mistakes as everyone does when researching with swap, first too much swap=unusable, less swap = crappy, lesser swap=lesser crappy but still suck. continue to decrease that number until you reach 0.

But it is good that you have it enabled in your phone, and tell us how much faster your battery is drained, or when your memory card died, or how much time elapsed your phone switching apps or geting calls, and tell us then if that is worth or not and reconsider what you read in kernel trap.

Also its nice to have a poll on that matter.

The sad is google ****ed up with this phone, theres too much mistakes made with this phone. 1 ok, 2 ok, 3 ok, but there is A LOT of mistakes on the table now. im disapointed with google and its a matter of time people start hating it like hates microsoft.

anyone wanting memory, run service viewer. check services, processes, and tasks. take notes and start uninstalling stupid apps who start at boot with no reason and eats memory. there is a lot of them and should make a small difference.

apps who starts at boot are notified when installing them.

some apps starting at boot

mybackup.
web server
k-9 email
text to speech <??? this really slow down everything for me
ak notepad
phone recorder
etc...
17th February 2009, 10:20 PM |#43  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Dude, take it easy.
We are really not having a discussion here. You won't read, you won't try. You don't accept other point of view.
As I said, with less swap size with less swappiness there is no performance penalty. May be a second or even less when switching between apps, but no waiting for Home, dialing, icons, scrolling, whatever. It works for me and I am happy.
Considering the write cycles of recent flash products, the improvements in wear leveling logic and the further improvement in different file systems, it would take it a good year or two before there are some noticable effects on the card.
17th February 2009, 10:22 PM |#44  
Flag Lohfelden
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Bill Gates said, that we never need more then 128KB RAM...
17th February 2009, 10:54 PM |#45  
Flag Seattle

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLin

Bill Gates said, that we never need more then 128KB RAM...

I think the quote was, "640K ought to be enough for anybody."
-Bill Gates, 1981
17th February 2009, 10:54 PM |#46  

More
"640K оught to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates, 1981
18th February 2009, 01:10 AM |#47  
Flag Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoridinBG

"640K оught to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates, 1981

thus the basis of 640k "conventional memory" that has been the core of the PC world from MS-DOS up to XP/Vista .. XP was when they really started making big strides away from this old line of reasoning .. everything up to WindowsME was still based on an MS-DOS shell .. now the cmd.exe is inside the windows shell .. remarkably 640k of base memory took us very very far
21st March 2009, 01:36 AM |#48  
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 13

Donate to Me
More
while swap does hurt the performance of any modern OS, it hurts less than not having it. what is important is tuning one's swap to the constraints of the wired backend ram and swap.
if you do not have swap, you force linux to flush its file caches and buffers in favor of program memory (that may or may not actively be in use) this is just as painful as pulling from swap, because it is the difference between pulling a file from ram instead of off the filesystem.
anyone who says NO SWAP, or NO SWAP IN EMBEDDED STUFFS clearly has no understanding of modern VMM's. you cripple them running them without swap. you severely limit the tuning that years of coding have gone into.
of course, the inverse is also true when you're talking about a slow device. the idea is to only swap what is unused, and allow the OS to still keep adequate buffers. keep your swap small, and tune your swappiness so that it only swaps pages of ram to disk under the direst of circumstances. the goal is not to fool the OS into thinking that it has more ram than it does, it is to get the OS to use it more intelligently (and not kill our precious processes). unfortunately, the guys at google did not do this for us, and so it is up to us.
The Following User Says Thank You to damnoregonian For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift damnoregonian Ad-Free
21st March 2009, 02:43 AM |#49  
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter: 49

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystica555

And ofcourse I end up reading the reply to my post -after- i write this one. Edited as I'm an idiot.

It still seems to me that 192 megs is A; misleading and B; clearly NOT enough to run this OS, along with radio "firmware" (why cant the radio have its own bloody discrete chip!?)

I presume this huge gaping usage of ram is why the Sprint Touch Pro shows 288 megs of ram; its really 384 with the rest being used by the phone's radio and framebuffer. Gah.

I wonder, will new Android hardware overcome this paltry 96 meg limit?

Try using Windows Mobile on 64mb. I am AMAZED by the RAM the phone has. lol
2nd December 2011, 08:05 PM |#50  
Flag Guguletu
Thanks Meter: 11

More
You guys are seriously joking with this argument about 'swappiness' right? I mean there are actually children dying of hunger in the world. I mean really, I do not know much about linux or pc's but an argument about virtual ram in physical reality, seriously? Cant everyone just get a long.
2nd December 2011, 09:27 PM |#51  
Flag Mississauga
Thanks Meter: 19

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sureptitious

You guys are seriously joking with this argument about 'swappiness' right? I mean there are actually children dying of hunger in the world. I mean really, I do not know much about linux or pc's but an argument about virtual ram in physical reality, seriously? Cant everyone just get a long.

Not to sound like a d*ck, but did you really have to bring such an old post back to life to say that? You could have shared your thoughts, perhaps in the general section and actually get some positive responses....
I'm just saying =P
In any case, I completely agree with you. It's quite foolish of *us* to argue over such things when there are more important, real things going on in the world..
The Following User Says Thank You to SH31KH For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SH31KH Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)