How to use QPST and QXDM to verify if phone is working.

Search This thread

Core Memory

Oct 24, 2011
Toronto
The following instructions are to be used to determine if your cell phone's transmit and receive functions are working when your phone doesn't successfully make phone calls. In the instructions, I've included backing up your phone's NV memory settings in case you inadvertently change the phone's settings or brick your phone (assuming the phone wasn't already bricked).

1) Download QPST

http://hosting.ecap-droid.com/Droid/...pub=bxfo8sfkv6

2) Install QPST (set it to run as Administrator and pin it to the Start Menu)

3) Download and install QXDM (set it to run as Administrator and pin it to the Start Menu)

http://www.mediafire.com/?tmzmngemgmm

4) Download LG Drivers

http://www.lg.com/us/support-mobile/lg-P999

5) Install LG Drivers

6) In the phone’s Settings -> Applications -> Development -> enable USB debugging

7) Access the phone's hidden menu using the phone keypad (dialer), enter: 1809#*999#

8) In Port Setting enable CP USB (do not enable Retain ...) then press: OK

9) Plug your phone into the USB port and wait a few seconds until the USB drivers install.

10) Access the LGE Mobile USB Modem driver through Control Panel -> Device Manager -> LGE Mobile USB Modem -> Advanced -> Advanced Port Settings

11) Click on the box next to “Append to Log” so that a checkmark is in that box.

12) Click on: Query Modem

The window above “Query Modem” should fill up with (the following data is from my phone, your phone’s Revision may be and IMEI will be somewhat different):

“ATQ0V1E0 - OK
AT+GMM - 0
AT+FCLASS=? - +FCLASS: (0-1)
AT#CLS=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
AT+GCI? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
AT+GCI=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
ATI1 - Manufacturer: QUALCOMM INCORPORATED
Model: 0
Revision: M6600A-SCAUTNZ-2.0.9720T 1 [MAR 11 2012 10:00:00] MP:TRULGE_08.09.02R_MDM
IMEI: 0127XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (I’ve X’d out my IMEI for security reasons)
+GCAP: +CGSM,+DS,+ES
ETC…”

If that doesn’t happen, then the Port Setting has probably reverted back to “AP USB” and will need to be changed back to “CP USB” or the LG drivers didn't install fully or correctly or the computer's usb connection or the usb cable has a problem. Check the phone’s screen and see if the Port Setting is still at “CP USB”. If it’s not (back on “AP USB”) redo step 8. If the setting is still at "CP USB" then reinstall the LG drivers. If there's still a problem, it may be the computer's USB port or the USB cable.

13) Click on: View log

The phone’s current IMEI and other information is listed in the information.

14) In the terminal port setting, get the LGE Mobile USB Modem COM Port number by accessing the USB driver through Control Panel -> Device Manager -> LGE Mobile USB Modem -> Advanced -> Advanced Port Settings -> COM Port Number

Write down the port number.

15) Close the LGE Mobile USB Modem Properties window.
QPST

16) Run QPST Configuration from QPST folder in the Start Menu

17) In QPST Configuration, click on: Ports tab

18) In Ports window, click on the Port which has the phone listed as FFA-QSC6295 (DEAD00D) with the USB Link

19) Write down the COM port number with USB Link. For example: COM44 = 44 It should match the COM Port Number you previously wrote down in step 13.

20) In QPST Configuration, click on: Phone tab

21) In Active Phones window, click on the phone listed as FFA-QSC6295 DEAD00D ZRF6500 with the same COM port as you wrote down previously

22) In the QPST Configuration menu, click on: Start Clients, and click on: Software Download

23) In QPST Software Download, click on the: Backup tab

24) A dialog box should appear with the same COM port number as you selected previously and there should be a name for the QCN File which has the ESN number in it (DEAD00D_1.qcn) and an SPC (Service Programming Code) number of 000000

25) If you want to, add information to the QCN File name to make it more explanatory. For example:
DEAD00D_1_My_Phone_NV_Backup.qcn

26) Browse to a location you want to save the QCN backup file to

27)Click on: Start

28) Run RF NV Manager from the QPST folder in the Start Menu

29) In the RF NV Manager menu, click on: Setting, and click on: Comport

30) In the Comport Configuration dialog box, click on the arrow in the selection window and select the port number you wrote down from step and click on: OK

31) In the RF NV Manager menu, click on: File, and click on: Read From Phone

32) The RF NV Manager window should fill up with the NV items from your phone.

33) In the QPST Configuration Window, Click on: Start Clients

34) Select: Service Programming

35) In the QPST Service Progamming Client window, click on the tab: Settings

36) Click on: Read from Phone

37) In the Codes section, Service Programming should show: 000000

38) In the QPST Service Progamming Client window, click on the tab: UMTS System

39) Click on: Read from Phone

The phones radio band settings and other information should appear with checkmarks next to the bands enabled for the phone's cell radio chip. Even though a radio band is selected, it doesn't necessarily mean that the radio band will work because either the circuitry in the phone isn't connected to a particular radio band's port on the cell radio chip and/or the cell radio band's setup/operating parameters aren't in the phone's cell radio chip firmware. Selecting any/all of them and writing that to the phone will change the phone's cell radio band's settings and, even though bands which won't work are selected, that won't harm the phone (I have all of them selected).

QXDM Professional

40) Start QXDM Professional

41) Click on: Communications

In the Communications dialog box, in Target Port, select the COM port which you wrote down previously (the one that QPST is connected to).

42) Click on: OK

The window should now become active.

43) In the View drop down menu, select: Status (Static) <F9>

The window should fill with information about your phone.

44) In the View drop down menu, select: UMTS Cell Reselection

The window should change and various coloured lines with dots on them should appear which indicates that the phone is communicating with cell towers. If there's no activity, it means that the phone's cell radio is either not working/burnt out, faulty SIM card, or something is preventing the phone from communicating with the cell towers, or something else.

45) In the View drop down menu, select: WCDMA Power

The window should fill with a graph for Receive (RX) and Transmit (TX) power. At the bottom is a blue graph of the phone's received power. If you don't see the blue graph, it probably means that your phone's antenna isn't connected or the phone's cell radio chip is not working/burnt out, or something between the chip and the antenna isn't working. Make a phone call and, near the top at -0-, you should see a green graph of the phone's transmission power. If the green graph doesn't appear, it probably means that your phone's cell radio chip transmit section isn't working/burnt out. If the green graph does appear but your phone isn't able to successfully phone, something else is wrong such as the phone's antenna is disconnected or something is wrong between the cell radio chip and the antenna, or a faulty SIM card or something else.

46) If finished, exit all QXDM, QPST, set your phone's Port Setting to AP USB, disconnect the USB cable, reboot your phone.

Last edited:

Blazing angel

Oct 15, 2011
I guarantee this will be helpful in the future

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda app-developers app

wfji3hifh3iohif

Dec 9, 2012
Nice write up!!

but qxdm link at least is full of malicous shii, shame to see virus on xda ! .:eek: I advise others- only download if you stupid, wanna take a risk, or got a spare machine to play with :good:

Reactions: en11gma

Core Memory

Oct 24, 2011
Toronto
Nice write up!!

but qxdm link at least is full of malicous shii, shame to see virus on xda ! .:eek: I advise others- only download if you stupid, wanna take a risk, or got a spare machine to play with :good:

I have multiple protections against computer infection and I installed it and had no problem with any virus, trojan, etc. It is still installed on my computer and nothing's wrong with it.

Reactions: Hnk1

en11gma

Jan 18, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S20 / S20+ / S20 Ultra
Last edited:

Servoguy

Aug 10, 2013
Seriously?

do you have MS Security Essentials?
its not sophisticated as others but its pretty accurate

You chose xda-dev to claim a M$ security 'alert' is accurate??

The first thing that needs to be said is: EVEN M$ SECURITY ESSENTIALS IS NOT CLAIMING THIS IS ANY SORT OF VIRUS OR MALWARE.

"...programs that have had their purpose obfuscated, often to hinder analysis or detection by antivirus scanners. They commonly employ a combination of methods including encryption, compression, anti-debugging and anti-emulation techniques."

The key words here are OFTEN and COMMONLY, which in this context commonly mean 'possibly' and often mean 'we really just don't have a clue'

What this security alert (lol) actually means is: "when we run this in our automated sandbox, it can't work it out". Considering it is an app that does custom networking with a relatively new proprietary comms chip this is hardly surprising, and just because you're too lazy/stupid/badly coded to work something out doesn't mean it has been obfuscated, it just means you don't get it.

These days anything with any tricky hand coded ML/ASM in it runs the risk of getting branded like this. It is also worth noting that in the past M$ have proved themselves not to be above declaring apps that breach copyright law to be 'malware'.

JUST BECAUSE SOMETHING WASN'T WRITTEN USING VISUAL STUDIO DOESN'T MEAN IT'S A SECURITY THREAT
and just because a M$ app pops up an 'alert' box doesn't mean you don't have to read what's written on it......sheesh

Core Memory

Oct 24, 2011
Toronto
You chose xda-dev to claim a M$ security 'alert' is accurate??

The first thing that needs to be said is: EVEN M$ SECURITY ESSENTIALS IS NOT CLAIMING THIS IS ANY SORT OF VIRUS OR MALWARE.

The key words here are OFTEN and COMMONLY, which in this context commonly mean 'possibly' and often mean 'we really just don't have a clue'

What this security alert (lol) actually means is: "when we run this in our automated sandbox, it can't work it out". Considering it is an app that does custom networking with a relatively new proprietary comms chip this is hardly surprising, and just because you're too lazy/stupid/badly coded to work something out doesn't mean it has been obfuscated, it just means you don't get it.

These days anything with any tricky hand coded ML/ASM in it runs the risk of getting branded like this. It is also worth noting that in the past M$ have proved themselves not to be above declaring apps that breach copyright law to be 'malware'.

JUST BECAUSE SOMETHING WASN'T WRITTEN USING VISUAL STUDIO DOESN'T MEAN IT'S A SECURITY THREAT
and just because a M$ app pops up an 'alert' box doesn't mean you don't have to read what's written on it......sheesh

I agree,

Microsoft Security Essentials and other anti-virus/anti-malware programs often warn about using programs which are hacked/cracked, generate keys, cracks, etc., but are not malicious. QXDM may have been blacklisted by Microsoft in its Security Essentials because it is supposed to only be available from Qualcomm to their customers and developers after they have agreed to non-disclosure of the software meaning it's not for public consumption. Also, software which cracks, generates keys, etc., uses code similar to malware in order to do what it does so that can cause an alert too. I have been using QXDP and other cracked Qualcomm programs that have generated malware alerts without any problems. If there's a concern, run it sandboxed to prevent any problems.

E:V:A

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 6, 2011
-∇ϕ
This QXDM version is nearly 4 years old. As such it's useless for LTE stuff and the like, and also not compatible with QPST 3.7.402.

I tried this and it just doesn't work very well, while VirusTotal is NOT very happy with this... And its even worse than what the picture shows you, as several of the more popular AV's has timed out...

attachment.php

Attachments

• VT1.jpg
    VT1.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 118,255
Last edited:

Core Memory

Oct 24, 2011
Toronto
This QXDM version is nearly 4 years old. As such it's useless for LTE stuff and the like, and also not compatible with QPST 3.7.402.

I tried this and it just doesn't work very well, while VirusTotal is NOT very happy with this... And its even worse than what the picture shows you, as several of the more popular AV's has timed out...

attachment.php

My OP is about determining whether or not a cell phone's radio modem is actually working, not for doing "development" or other sophisticated work. A lot of people don't have an LTE phone anyway so it is still useful for them. The virus warnings are B.S., I've been using the software from the source I supplied without any problems. In your previously unedited reply, you stated "So why don't you come up with something more useful?" well, why don't you? If you have newer versions of QXDM and/or QPST then, instead of complaining about what's available here, post links to the newer versions which are, apparently, infection free.

Dec 6, 2011
-∇ϕ
My OP is about determining whether or not a cell phone's radio modem is actually working, not for doing "development" or other sophisticated work. A lot of people don't have an LTE phone anyway so it is still useful for them. The virus warnings are B.S., I've been using the software from the source I supplied without any problems. In your previously unedited reply, you stated "So why don't you come up with something more useful?" well, why don't you? If you have newer versions of QXDM and/or QPST then, instead of complaining about what's available here, post links to the newer versions which are, apparently, infection free.

You're method for determining if the cell modem is "working" is rather over complicated, for the vast majority of people. Most phones has a built in test interface that will show you the same radio variables that you see above, although without graphs etc. In addition there are many other tools that can take rudimentary RF measurements from QC devices. CDMA Tool, MDMA (may not work on all phones) etc... Also a simple AT command terminal port could easily establish proper modem functioning/connections!

HERE
is a later version (3.12.714) of QXDM (hopefully without any trojan backdoors!)

Enjoy!

abishek.m

Aug 17, 2013
How to take logs after applying logmask in qxdm

Hi,
I have installed qpst and qxdm tool with correct configuration. And I have applied the .DMC Log mask file using Load configuration option, and i
am getting all the screens accordingly. Now I want to take the logs, for the operation i am doing in my phone. but i dont know exactly how to take the logs from this point on. can anyone plz tell me how to take the qxdm logs?

Dec 6, 2011
-∇ϕ
Hi,
I have installed qpst and qxdm tool with correct configuration. And I have applied the .DMC Log mask file using Load configuration option, and i
am getting all the screens accordingly. Now I want to take the logs, for the operation i am doing in my phone. but i dont know exactly how to take the logs from this point on. can anyone plz tell me how to take the qxdm logs?
The PDF manual is included in the distribution! Read it.

Core Memory

Oct 24, 2011
Toronto
You're method for determining if the cell modem is "working" is rather over complicated, for the vast majority of people. Most phones has a built in test interface that will show you the same radio variables that you see above, although without graphs etc. In addition there are many other tools that can take rudimentary RF measurements from QC devices. CDMA Tool, MDMA (may not work on all phones) etc... Also a simple AT command terminal port could easily establish proper modem functioning/connections!

HERE
is a later version (3.12.714) of QXDM (hopefully without any trojan backdoors!)

Enjoy!

The reason I did the OP was to solve a particular problem that Mazout360 and other developers had regarding determining the on/off status of the mdm6600 radio in the G2X and, hopefully, getting it to work with ICS. Until you showed up, rather late-in-the-game, no one else had contributed a definitive method for doing that with the mdm6600 which, although you have posted criticism and links to mostly irrelevant software and drivers, haven't done. I downloaded QXDM from the link you provided and it won't install because it stops with a message that it requires Internet Explorer version 6 or higher. That stop message is incorrect as the computer I tried to install it on is running Windows 8 Pro and Internet Explorer 10. Apparently, it is incompatible so it is useless for anyone running Windows 8. How about posting something useful with a complete explanation, as I have done, about how to use it with the G2X to determine if the cell radio is working.

Dec 6, 2011
-∇ϕ
It doesn't run on 64bit machines unless you're in 32bit compatibility mode.

Check THIS out. I have it running on both Vista and Win7 (both 32 bit) and no problems whatsoever. And if it is a problem for you, just run it under a VM...

BTW. I'm not attacking you in any way, in fact I appreciate your step-by-step guide. But I'm also showing you there are some much simpler solutions. In addition I'm making other members aware about the dangers of downloading random software...regardless if they are false positives or not.

Core Memory

Oct 24, 2011
Toronto

Check THIS out. I have it running on both Vista and Win7 (both 32 bit) and no problems whatsoever. And if it is a problem for you, just run it under a VM...

BTW. I'm not attacking you in any way, in fact I appreciate your step-by-step guide. But I'm also showing you there are some much simpler solutions. In addition I'm making other members aware about the dangers of downloading random software...regardless if they are false positives or not.

The URL embedded in "Check THIS out." in your post opens an OP which includes a post that contains a URL reference back to page one of this OP of mine. What's your point in doing that?

Reactions: jacksparao

en11gma

Jan 18, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S20 / S20+ / S20 Ultra
windows 7 64bit
getting the error about requiring ie5,6 or higher
i tried setting IE as Default (that didnt work....same error)
i then uninstalled IE 11 and rebooted and powered off too (same error)

how do we get this to work on a win7 64bit machine?
thanks

May 30, 2014
Pass AT Commands to Modem (Nexus 5)

Hi All,

Host: Windows 7
Device: Google Nexus 5.

Objective : Pass AT Commands to the Modem in Nexus 5 Device.
My device doesn't get detected in QPST tool once connected.

I'm looking for Modem port to pass AT commands to it by feeding Modem port value to Hyperterminal-like software.
However my device is not getting detected in QPST tool.
I have tried most of the drivers for the device, but in vain.

Can anyone guide how to get the Modem port details for Nexus 5.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you!

gosserness

May 20, 2013
Use NV_Manager to solve sensor issues?

Hello, i'm gonna try the QPST/QXDM procedure because I hope there will be some NV parameters which control sensors activation.
Some time ago i did something bad and i lost most sensors on my D802 (orientation, gyro, acceleration, magnetic).
System see them but they return null values (checked from logs).
I tried almost everything to solve this, but still i am sure it has something to do with NV parameters.
I there someone who have some info about this?
Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The following instructions are to be used to determine if your cell phone's transmit and receive functions are working when your phone doesn't successfully make phone calls. In the instructions, I've included backing up your phone's NV memory settings in case you inadvertently change the phone's settings or brick your phone (assuming the phone wasn't already bricked).

1) Download QPST

http://hosting.ecap-droid.com/Droid/...pub=bxfo8sfkv6

2) Install QPST (set it to run as Administrator and pin it to the Start Menu)

3) Download and install QXDM (set it to run as Administrator and pin it to the Start Menu)

http://www.mediafire.com/?tmzmngemgmm

4) Download LG Drivers

http://www.lg.com/us/support-mobile/lg-P999

5) Install LG Drivers

6) In the phone’s Settings -> Applications -> Development -> enable USB debugging

7) Access the phone's hidden menu using the phone keypad (dialer), enter: 1809#*999#

8) In Port Setting enable CP USB (do not enable Retain ...) then press: OK

9) Plug your phone into the USB port and wait a few seconds until the USB drivers install.

10) Access the LGE Mobile USB Modem driver through Control Panel -> Device Manager -> LGE Mobile USB Modem -> Advanced -> Advanced Port Settings

11) Click on the box next to “Append to Log” so that a checkmark is in that box.

12) Click on: Query Modem

The window above “Query Modem” should fill up with (the following data is from my phone, your phone’s Revision may be and IMEI will be somewhat different):

“ATQ0V1E0 - OK
    AT+GMM - 0
    AT+FCLASS=? - +FCLASS: (0-1)
    AT#CLS=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
    AT+GCI? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
    AT+GCI=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
    ATI1 - Manufacturer: QUALCOMM INCORPORATED
    Model: 0
    Revision: M6600A-SCAUTNZ-2.0.9720T 1 [MAR 11 2012 10:00:00] MP:TRULGE_08.09.02R_MDM
    IMEI: 0127XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (I’ve X’d out my IMEI for security reasons)
    +GCAP: +CGSM,+DS,+ES
    ETC…”

If that doesn’t happen, then the Port Setting has probably reverted back to “AP USB” and will need to be changed back to “CP USB” or the LG drivers didn't install fully or correctly or the computer's usb connection or the usb cable has a problem. Check the phone’s screen and see if the Port Setting is still at “CP USB”. If it’s not (back on “AP USB”) redo step 8. If the setting is still at "CP USB" then reinstall the LG drivers. If there's still a problem, it may be the computer's USB port or the USB cable.

13) Click on: View log

The phone’s current IMEI and other information is listed in the information.

14) In the terminal port setting, get the LGE Mobile USB Modem COM Port number by accessing the USB driver through Control Panel -> Device Manager -> LGE Mobile USB Modem -> Advanced -> Advanced Port Settings -> COM Port Number

Write down the port number.

15) Close the LGE Mobile USB Modem Properties window.
    QPST

16) Run QPST Configuration from QPST folder in the Start Menu

17) In QPST Configuration, click on: Ports tab

18) In Ports window, click on the Port which has the phone listed as FFA-QSC6295 (DEAD00D) with the USB Link

19) Write down the COM port number with USB Link. For example: COM44 = 44 It should match the COM Port Number you previously wrote down in step 13.

20) In QPST Configuration, click on: Phone tab

21) In Active Phones window, click on the phone listed as FFA-QSC6295 DEAD00D ZRF6500 with the same COM port as you wrote down previously

22) In the QPST Configuration menu, click on: Start Clients, and click on: Software Download

23) In QPST Software Download, click on the: Backup tab

24) A dialog box should appear with the same COM port number as you selected previously and there should be a name for the QCN File which has the ESN number in it (DEAD00D_1.qcn) and an SPC (Service Programming Code) number of 000000

25) If you want to, add information to the QCN File name to make it more explanatory. For example:
    DEAD00D_1_My_Phone_NV_Backup.qcn

26) Browse to a location you want to save the QCN backup file to

27)Click on: Start

28) Run RF NV Manager from the QPST folder in the Start Menu

29) In the RF NV Manager menu, click on: Setting, and click on: Comport

30) In the Comport Configuration dialog box, click on the arrow in the selection window and select the port number you wrote down from step and click on: OK

31) In the RF NV Manager menu, click on: File, and click on: Read From Phone

32) The RF NV Manager window should fill up with the NV items from your phone.

33) In the QPST Configuration Window, Click on: Start Clients

34) Select: Service Programming

35) In the QPST Service Progamming Client window, click on the tab: Settings

36) Click on: Read from Phone

37) In the Codes section, Service Programming should show: 000000

38) In the QPST Service Progamming Client window, click on the tab: UMTS System

39) Click on: Read from Phone

The phones radio band settings and other information should appear with checkmarks next to the bands enabled for the phone's cell radio chip. Even though a radio band is selected, it doesn't necessarily mean that the radio band will work because either the circuitry in the phone isn't connected to a particular radio band's port on the cell radio chip and/or the cell radio band's setup/operating parameters aren't in the phone's cell radio chip firmware. Selecting any/all of them and writing that to the phone will change the phone's cell radio band's settings and, even though bands which won't work are selected, that won't harm the phone (I have all of them selected).

QXDM Professional

40) Start QXDM Professional

41) Click on: Communications

In the Communications dialog box, in Target Port, select the COM port which you wrote down previously (the one that QPST is connected to).

42) Click on: OK

The window should now become active.

43) In the View drop down menu, select: Status (Static) <F9>

The window should fill with information about your phone.

44) In the View drop down menu, select: UMTS Cell Reselection

The window should change and various coloured lines with dots on them should appear which indicates that the phone is communicating with cell towers. If there's no activity, it means that the phone's cell radio is either not working/burnt out, faulty SIM card, or something is preventing the phone from communicating with the cell towers, or something else.

45) In the View drop down menu, select: WCDMA Power

The window should fill with a graph for Receive (RX) and Transmit (TX) power. At the bottom is a blue graph of the phone's received power. If you don't see the blue graph, it probably means that your phone's antenna isn't connected or the phone's cell radio chip is not working/burnt out, or something between the chip and the antenna isn't working. Make a phone call and, near the top at -0-, you should see a green graph of the phone's transmission power. If the green graph doesn't appear, it probably means that your phone's cell radio chip transmit section isn't working/burnt out. If the green graph does appear but your phone isn't able to successfully phone, something else is wrong such as the phone's antenna is disconnected or something is wrong between the cell radio chip and the antenna, or a faulty SIM card or something else.

46) If finished, exit all QXDM, QPST, set your phone's Port Setting to AP USB, disconnect the USB cable, reboot your phone.
    Nice write up!!

Nice write up!!

I have multiple protections against computer infection and I installed it and had no problem with any virus, trojan, etc. It is still installed on my computer and nothing's wrong with it.
    Nice write up!!

your virus came from elsewhere...

G2x-CM7 Weekly 12/09/12 Build, Trinity T15 Kernel

The URL embedded in "Check THIS out." in your post opens an OP which includes a post that contains a URL reference back to page one of this OP of mine. What's your point in doing that?