[Q] Is there any interest for a 4.4 KitKat ROM for the D2G?

Search This thread

Macatia Coco

Nov 26, 2013
If there is any interest, I could try to work on making one. KitKat is made to run on devices with at least half a gig of RAM, and that's what the D2G has, so it should be a really smooth ROM.

YES PLEASE!

My droid 2 is sleeping :crying: If only I can bring some freshness in it!

Can't wait for you to release the kitkat rom ;)

长刀所向

Jul 28, 2013
D2g的奇巧,是我们所期待的。 我们来自中国百度,很多人喜欢这个伟大的设备(虽然大多躺在了抽屉里)。感谢~!

hi yang

Dec 10, 2013
Come on, ah, it must be done out Come on(´v`o)♡

Sent from my DROID2 Global using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Jakeroxs

Jan 2, 2011
That would be pretty cool, recently gave my roommate my old D2G, so it would be cool to get him up to date. :) SUPPORT!

Dec 24, 2013
it may be batter....

i'd be interested in this. but it would be hard to port and bad battery life like the other 4.0+ roms.

art give cpu more spare tme to sleep,so it will give battery a longer life.....

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

Thanks!:laugh: I don't mind if it is buggy, I like upgrade~~:good:

haha,we are the same:D

jianC

Sep 3, 2013
Kitkat is definitely possible on droid 2 global. It's just a matter of getting the painstaking kernel work out of the way.. We are severely limited in development by the stock kernel. Don't ask for ETA, but i'm currently working on adapting the kernel for 2ndboot (from milestone 2). The kernel source provided by motorola boots with the milestone 2 2ndboot, but it looks like display and the security module is causing it to hang.

Here is the dmesg so far: http://pastebin.com/UpKKUkvX
edit1: some progress, commented out sec module, but display is broken.. perhaps the source is incomplete http://pastebin.com/ZQmkXSfb

Last edited:
Reactions: tydiamond11

jianC

Sep 3, 2013
Wonder why there has never been a 2ndboot ROM for the D2G, due to lack drivers for the hybrid baseband or something else?
I doubt the hybrid baseband had anything to do with it. I think that people were initially discouraged about using 2ndboot when there were still developers, since when loading the new kernel with 2ndboot, it would detach the modem and start it again, and the radio wouldn't work. However, when someone found a fix for it (czeschop), it was already a bit too late and most of the developers were gone for droid2. Just my opinion on it.

karlsdroids

Aug 9, 2013
So npz, you've got this one in the works? From the second link you posted it looks like progress as of Jan 6, 2014. The kitkat would be cool for the d2g because I'm not sure I'm ready to put it on the d4 in case something goes bat**** on me.

Thanks for your time and dev work!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If there is any interest, I could try to work on making one. KitKat is made to run on devices with at least half a gig of RAM, and that's what the D2G has, so it should be a really smooth ROM.
    Hardware keyboard support is built-in and will work even if you port the Defy ROM (Defy has been a source of many ROMs ported for the D2 and D2G).

Milestone 2 ROMs are usually harder to port.

good luck, may want to check in the dx, d2, dpro, forums, if it KK gets ported to any of those devices, there shouldn't be much needed to port to d2g

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk

support, i am using this phone, and now still in 2.3.4,(支持,我现在用的就是这款手机,现在还停留在2.3.4):p

我用4.0,太卡了~~ :p
    I paste this link to many Chinese Forums, though most guys are change there phone, they still do want kitkat for this phone. I got really a lot reply. Please! We gonna be really appreciate.

I've looked into this myself a while ago and it appears that the only limitation is the kernel, and having to forward port all the omap3 hardware hals from gb/ics.

From google's website:
    OEMs building the next generation of Android devices can take advantage of targeted recommendations and options to run Android 4.4 efficiently, even on low-memory devices. Dalvik JIT code cache tuning, kernel samepage merging (KSM), swap to zRAM, and other optimizations help manage memory

It appears that Google utilizes KSM and zRAM on low memory devices, but we cannot compile these drivers because of locked kernel. Not sure why no one has ported 2ndboot yet from milestone2 or defy.. because that would greatly enhance our device's performance.

That's my 2c on it.