Rooting Gingerbread 2.3.6 (4.5.141) - The Complete Guide

Search This thread

upndwn4par

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 22, 2012
New Jersey
Having just purchased another Atrix that was running stock Gingerbread 2.3.6 (4.5.141), I was frustrated by the lack of a complete rooting guide and appropriate files. There is a guide in this forum (Link) which is based on an article from Android Advice (Link), but I noticed that both lack a lot of basic information for the inexperienced user. Also, the zip file available from Android Advice was missing a key file (Superuser!). So, I made a guide.

This may look complicated, but is super easy. If you don't feel comfortable using this method, you can use this automated tool (yes, it works on 4.5.141). It won't be as satisfying, or even feel good. You won't learn anything, but you will be rooted. Download tool here (link in OP is broken).

Pre-work:
1) Read the xda Atrix Beginners Guide (then read it again)! (Link)
2) Download and install 7zip. (Link)
3) If they are not already installed on your PC, download and install the Atrix drivers for Windows. (Link)
4) Download the attached files (sorry, had to break them in to two files due to forum size constraints). Create a new folder on your hard drive named "Android" (c:\Android). Extract both attached zip files to this folder (all the files need to be in "Android", not in a sub folder).
5) On your phone go to Settings, Applications, Development, then tick USB Debugging.

Notes:
Do not type quotes.
After each command hit enter.
Be mindful of spaces.
You can simply copy each command and paste in to the command prompt.
If you encounter any errors after entering a command, just ignore and keep going (assuming you entered the command properly).

Work:
1) Attach your phone to the PC via USB. In the USB settings make sure USB Mass Storage is selected.
2) Reboot phone while holding volume down until you see "fastboot".
3) Press volume up to initiate fastboot.
4) On your PC click the Start menu, then in the search box type "cmd"
5) In the command prompt type "cd c:/android"
6) "fastboot.exe flash preinstall preinstall.img"
7) "fastboot.exe reboot"
8) Wait for phone to reboot.
9) "adb shell"
10) "/preinstall/dosu". If you get an error (I did), type "/preinstall/su"
11) "/bin/mount -o remount,rw /system"
12) cp /preinstall/su /system/bin/"
13) "chmod 6755 /system/bin/su"
14) "PATH=/system/bin:$PATH pm install /preinstall/Superuser.apk"
15) Reboot phone.
16) On your phone go to your apps and make sure the Superuser icon is there. Open the app, go to settings, then update the SU binary.
17) Open a terminal emulator, then type "su" and hit enter. You should see "#" if you are rooted. Or, download Root Checker from the Play Store.

My phone rebooted itself after step 11, so I had to re-open the adb shell.

I copied and pasted the text from the command prompt for reference (attached).

If I missed anything or have any errors, let me know and I will update the post.

Good luck!

Note: If you experience problems with updating superuser after rooting, try going in to Manage Applications and clear Superuser data. If that doesn't work go to the Play Store and Install Superuser Update Fixer.

Downloads:
My Atrix AFH Folder

Attachments

• 1349631609276.jpg
    1349631609276.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 3,258
Last edited:

DavidCL20

Jul 21, 2012
Thanksssss

Just want to show my appreciation. Your guide followed step by step worked flawlessly on my atrix. Ive been trying to root this darn thing for about a week and a half with no luck. found your guide and worked perfect first time around. Thanks..

David

Reactions: upndwn4par

aksma

Sep 5, 2008
Thanks for the information. Just wanted to do this, and while reading the procedure, I found that there is no Superuser.apk in the attachments. Do I have to get it from some other place.

Thanks

Having just purchased another Atrix that was running stock Gingerbread 2.3.6 (4.5.141), I was frustrated by the lack of a complete rooting guide and appropriate files. There is a guide in this forum (Link) which is based on an article from Android Advice (Link), but I noticed that both lack a lot of basic information for the inexperienced user. Also, the zip file available from Android Advice was missing a key file (Superuser!). So, I made a guide.

Remember to click THANKS if this guide helped you!

Pre-work:
1) Read the xda Atrix Noob Guide (then read it again)! Link
2) Download and install 7zip. Link
3) If they are not already installed on your PC, download and install the Atrix drivers for Windows. Link.
4) Download the attached files (sorry, had to break them in to two files due to forum size constraints). Create a new folder on your hard drive named "Android" (c:\Android). Extract both attached zip files to this folder (all the files need to be in "Android", not in a sub folder).
5) On your phone go to Settings, Applications, Development, then tick USB Debugging.

Notes:
Do not type quotes.
Be mindful of spaces.

Work:
1) Attach your phone to the PC via USB. In the USB settings make sure USB Mass Storage is selected.
2) Reboot phone while holding volume down.
7) "fastboot.exe reboot"
9) "adb shell"
15) Reboot phone.
16) On your phone go to your apps and make sure the Superuser icon is there. Open the app, go to settings, then update the SU binary.

If I missed anything or have any errors, let me know and I will update the post.

Good luck!

DavidCL20

Jul 21, 2012
RE super user pkg.

Thanks for the information. Just wanted to do this, and while reading the procedure, I found that there is no Superuser.apk in the attachments. Do I have to get it from some other place.

Thanks

Well for me what happen is down at the bottom he has two links for two of the files you need to zip. in one of those, there is a superuser file. When doing the cmd commands at the end you will end up installing the superuser. The best thing to do which really helped me was to download the command prompt text file, that way you can mimic exactly what you see. Hope this helps.

-David

dmacdog

Oct 6, 2008
Going to give it a try

I read through everything and think I have somewhat of a clue on what I need to do..LOL. Whatever the results I will post back and let you know. I have had my atrix since it was first released and have never had the time to root it as I cannot be without a phone couldn't take a chance.

I retire soon so hopefully will have more time to get invovled in things as this is a great forum.

Mac

upndwn4par

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 22, 2012
New Jersey
I read through everything and think I have somewhat of a clue on what I need to do..LOL. Whatever the results I will post back and let you know. I have had my atrix since it was first released and have never had the time to root it as I cannot be without a phone couldn't take a chance.

I retire soon so hopefully will have more time to get invovled in things as this is a great forum.

Mac

Welcome to the wonderful world of messing with your phone!

You really can't harm your phone trying to root it. If you type a command wrong, just re-type it. No worries. There are lots of good guides out there for whatever you want to do. The noob guide (linked on the first page) is a great place to start. And there are plenty of members willing to help.

Let us know how things go!

Reactions: KrisM22

1iJakk

Sep 2, 2011
THANKS!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of messing with your phone!

You really can't harm your phone trying to root it. If you type a command wrong, just re-type it. No worries. There are lots of good guides out there for whatever you want to do. The noob guide (linked on the first page) is a great place to start. And there are plenty of members willing to help.

Let us know how things go!

followed the directions and am now rooted!!

next to look for boot load unlock - not sure why but 'im gonna figure it out - and then an ics rom or wait for the q3 'official' motorola release . . . decisions

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This may look complicated, but is super easy. If you don't feel comfortable using this method, you can use this automated tool (yes, it works on 4.5.141). It won't be as satisfying, or even feel good. You won't learn anything, but you will be rooted. Download tool here (link in OP is broken).

Pre-work:
    1) Read the xda Atrix Beginners Guide (then read it again)! (Link)
    2) Download and install 7zip. (Link)
    3) If they are not already installed on your PC, download and install the Atrix drivers for Windows. (Link)

Notes:
    Do not type quotes.
    Be mindful of spaces.
    You can simply copy each command and paste in to the command prompt.
    If you encounter any errors after entering a command, just ignore and keep going (assuming you entered the command properly).

Work:
    2) Reboot phone while holding volume down until you see "fastboot".
    7) "fastboot.exe reboot"
    9) "adb shell"
    15) Reboot phone.
    17) Open a terminal emulator, then type "su" and hit enter. You should see "#" if you are rooted. Or, download Root Checker from the Play Store.

Good luck!

Note: If you experience problems with updating superuser after rooting, try going in to Manage Applications and clear Superuser data. If that doesn't work go to the Play Store and Install Superuser Update Fixer.

Downloads:
    My Atrix AFH Folder

First, are you certain you are running GB 236 4.5.141?

Second, try copying and pasting commands in the cmd prompt.

Third, sometimes adb gets wonky and won't connect to your device (which looks like the case above). Open task manager and kill adb.exe, then continue.

Edit:
    Try looking here too.

Edit2:
    Also, you can try this automated tool. It is not as satisfying as doing it manually, but it may help solve your problem.

Yes it is. Awesome feeling to look in your app drawer and see this:
    followed the directions and am now rooted!!

next to look for boot load unlock - not sure why but 'im gonna figure it out - and then an ics rom or wait for the q3 'official' motorola release . . . decisions

Don't unlock your bootloader if you think you will want official Moto ICS update (major hard brick risk).
    Thanksssss

Just want to show my appreciation. Your guide followed step by step worked flawlessly on my atrix. Ive been trying to root this darn thing for about a week and a half with no luck. found your guide and worked perfect first time around. Thanks..

David