[app]Make Your Own Android Browser!!

Search This thread
Jan 11, 2012
San Francisco
Hello guys,

Have you guys thought about making your own Android web browser? Now you can do it in just a few clicks!!

You can customize your own browser icon, browser name, default homepage, default skin/theme, and your own splash screen!!! Much more customizations will be coming in the near future.

Don't wait, make your own Android browser now at:
http://custom.maxthon.com/android/makeyourbrowser/

:D:D

4/29
UPDATE: we're working on providing more customization options for the browser. Guys, how would you like to customize your browser? Let us know.
.:D

Check out my self-made Panda Browser

About Page
10dz9m9.jpg

Phone Desktop
vfyyzd.jpg

Browser Splash Screen
2cdijx5.jpg

Last edited:

keith456

Jan 3, 2012
australia
very nice idea , if there were something like this but to mke a music player that would be great ....i dont use the browser on my phone much

waylaidwanderer

Feb 19, 2012
Won't it be possible for people to make their own browser and sell it? They could just edit out anything that mentions Maxthon...

Sent from my GT-I9100

dragontology

Dec 29, 2010
North Carolina
This is neat. I just nicked an icon off Google, as well as a wallpaper, which I added text to in MS Paint. I call my browser "Reality Web".

Does anybody have any opinions on the Maxthon browser itself?

//edit: I actually like the browser. It's faster than Opera Mobile. That isn't saying much, Opera is not a fast browser. It just does a lot and doesn't have many faults.

Some pictures won't load. This could contribute to the speed. I opened a 4chan board, which is a good test because the captcha usually screws up most mobile browsers. They just hang until it loads, then the whole page displays at once. It's a good benchmark. Surprisingly, my customized Maxthon just loaded it all up, and quick, including all the images. I was impressed. Next I went to How-To Geek. Some image thumbnails from articles did not load.

The browser has a lot of options. If you were on the fence about themes, you can actually download the others, so you can switch that. You can also change the home page. The customized browser is 2.21MB, though that may depend on the splash screen. I just used a JPEG; a PNG might make it bigger. But back to the options, you have your user agent changer, a privacy mode, the usual stuff, and even gestures (which I hate, but some like, and I still regard it as an advanced feature).

Couple gripes: 1, closing the last tab doesn't open Home, it opens this quick access tab, like Opera's speed dial, or Chrome's. There are a couple entries that don't need to be there, but that's also true for Opera. 2, hitting Home opens it in a new tab, not the current one.

All in all I like it, and I may set it as my default, primarily so when other apps (e.g. Facebook or baconreader, the Reddit app I use) call the browser, they call a fast one. At the very least, this is a decent browser worth your consideration. That you can customize it is just icing on the cake.

IrishStuff09 said:
This is good, but it also means the Market is going to get flooded with themed Maxthon browsers.
I wouldn't worry about that. I don't think it's free to put something on the Market. Besides, free software being resold or with ads tacked on tends to get blasted pretty hard in the comments. And if Maxthon cares that people are selling these, they have recourse, I'm sure. I don't think your concern is without warrant, but it doesn't really concern me. ;)

Last edited:

- Swift -

Sep 8, 2011
Galway, Ireland
I wouldn't worry about that. I don't think it's free to put something on the Market. Besides, free software being resold or with ads tacked on tends to get blasted pretty hard in the comments. And if Maxthon cares that people are selling these, they have recourse, I'm sure. I don't think your concern is without warrant, but it doesn't really concern me. ;)
Yes it costs $25 for A Developer Account with Google but you might just get one Developer who might upload 20 of his themed Maxthon browsers.
It'd be quite funny.

Sent from my R800i using xda premium

AC DC

Apr 28, 2012
This is neat. I just nicked an icon off Google, as well as a wallpaper, which I added text to in MS Paint. I call my browser "Reality Web".

Does anybody have any opinions on the Maxthon browser itself?

//edit: I actually like the browser. It's faster than Opera Mobile. That isn't saying much, Opera is not a fast browser. It just does a lot and doesn't have many faults.

Some pictures won't load. This could contribute to the speed. I opened a 4chan board, which is a good test because the captcha usually screws up most mobile browsers. They just hang until it loads, then the whole page displays at once. It's a good benchmark. Surprisingly, my customized Maxthon just loaded it all up, and quick, including all the images. I was impressed. Next I went to How-To Geek. Some image thumbnails from articles did not load.

The browser has a lot of options. If you were on the fence about themes, you can actually download the others, so you can switch that. You can also change the home page. The customized browser is 2.21MB, though that may depend on the splash screen. I just used a JPEG; a PNG might make it bigger. But back to the options, you have your user agent changer, a privacy mode, the usual stuff, and even gestures (which I hate, but some like, and I still regard it as an advanced feature).

Couple gripes: 1, closing the last tab doesn't open Home, it opens this quick access tab, like Opera's speed dial, or Chrome's. There are a couple entries that don't need to be there, but that's also true for Opera. 2, hitting Home opens it in a new tab, not the current one.

All in all I like it, and I may set it as my default, primarily so when other apps (e.g. Facebook or baconreader, the Reddit app I use) call the browser, they call a fast one. At the very least, this is a decent browser worth your consideration. That you can customize it is just icing on the cake.

Absolutely

Sent from my HTC Nexus One using XDA

narflynn619

May 25, 2011
On board Nebuchadnezzar.
This webpage is not available
The server at custom.maxthon.com can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing RockMelt from accessing the network.

Why? Or is it suppose to be opened through my phone?

coydroid

Apr 26, 2012
THE BEAUTIFUL S.F. BAY AREA
Wow, my first post to this amazing forum! :D

BYB . . . Before I download this could I just qualify its limitation(s)? I'm looking for something that is (not to put it too mildly) um . . . ambitious. :eek:

I'm on a nice, meaty Lenovo Ideapad K1 ten-incher (no jokes now!! lol) and I'm specifically looking for a means by which to hard code into the menu bar itself buttons for the following four vertical navigation operations:
  1. PGDN
  2. PGUP
  3. HOME
  4. END

I don't even know if this can be done what the hell, I can ask, eh? Why do I want these buttons? For seamless, non-intrusive HTML ARTICLE READING without the crude finger swiping that is a huge interruption to my reading (any) HTML page by virtue of the fact that I'm endlessly positioning, trying to land precisely one screen lower to make the maximum use of my 10" screen.

What I'm describing is a feature best implemented for tablets, I'll be the first to admit -- a true, dedicated "HTML READER'S BROWSER" with no keyboard interaction required to obtain precise vertical PAGE SCROLLING.

Can your App be outfitted with something this ambitious do you think? or should I just continue to wait until some kind soul -- a reader, like myself -- discovers that he's wasting untold hours sweeping his New York Times pages just to position his scrollbar?

And thank you in any event for a wonderful concept!

coydroid

Jan 11, 2012
San Francisco
That's pretty ambitious...:D

Wow, my first post to this amazing forum! :D

BYB . . . Before I download this could I just qualify its limitation(s)? I'm looking for something that is (not to put it too mildly) um . . . ambitious. :eek:

I'm on a nice, meaty Lenovo Ideapad K1 ten-incher (no jokes now!! lol) and I'm specifically looking for a means by which to hard code into the menu bar itself buttons for the following four vertical navigation operations:
  1. PGDN
  2. PGUP
  3. HOME
  4. END

I don't even know if this can be done what the hell, I can ask, eh? Why do I want these buttons? For seamless, non-intrusive HTML ARTICLE READING without the crude finger swiping that is a huge interruption to my reading (any) HTML page by virtue of the fact that I'm endlessly positioning, trying to land precisely one screen lower to make the maximum use of my 10" screen.

What I'm describing is a feature best implemented for tablets, I'll be the first to admit -- a true, dedicated "HTML READER'S BROWSER" with no keyboard interaction required to obtain precise vertical PAGE SCROLLING.

Can your App be outfitted with something this ambitious do you think? or should I just continue to wait until some kind soul -- a reader, like myself -- discovers that he's wasting untold hours sweeping his New York Times pages just to position his scrollbar?

And thank you in any event for a wonderful concept!

coydroid

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello guys,

Have you guys thought about making your own Android web browser? Now you can do it in just a few clicks!!

You can customize your own browser icon, browser name, default homepage, default skin/theme, and your own splash screen!!! Much more customizations will be coming in the near future.

Don't wait, make your own Android browser now at:
    http://custom.maxthon.com/android/makeyourbrowser/

:D:D

4/29
    UPDATE: we're working on providing more customization options for the browser. Guys, how would you like to customize your browser? Let us know.
    .:D

Check out my self-made Panda Browser

About Page
    10dz9m9.jpg

Phone Desktop
    vfyyzd.jpg

Browser Splash Screen
    2cdijx5.jpg
    This is good, but it also means the Market is going to get flooded with themed Maxthon browsers.

Sent from my R800i using xda premium
    No idea. I used a 72x72 PNG. Maybe it's malformed somehow. Open it with something like XnView and save it, see if that works?

Also, I found a bug in the Maxthon browser. Apparently it's unable to save images. Causes an FC every time. However I can "View" the image in QuickPic, and "Move" the image out of the cache and into my download directory.
    BYB yes, an HTML READERS BROWSER (w/PGDN button built in) is ambitious. It's a commercial concept and I personally would shell out $10 for it, I find reading articles on (any) tablet browser that irritating. For a reader this is the equivalent of a speed bump -- constantly swiping, swiping. If you don't think we avid readers won't shell out just to be parolled from crudely trying to scroll our page down by one pixel-perfect screen with clumsy finger swiping -- a regrettable holdover from pre-tablet days, before screens found their sweet spot with the 10" tablet architecture -- then you don't know avid readers! The first developer who figures this out is in the bukoo, it's the achilles heel of mobile computing.

Navigation is everything and this one menu-bar button(s) -- not the sexiest, just the most fundamental -- will be core to any tablet owner who reads articles & blogs. Remember when eInk was first introduced? It wasn't sexy, it was something much more valuable to Kindle owners: comfortable. :p
    Have you considered that something other than a web browser may be what you're looking for? I mean, obviously you want to browse web sites, right? But you're not interacting with Web 2.0, e.g. Facebook, you're reading things. So, maybe you want a reader app?

What about something like Pocket? Formerly known as Read it Later, you share web pages with it, and then read them later in its program, which used to cost a buck or two, but is now free. There's also Readability, also free. Do either of these support paging? I don't know. Pocket sounds like something I'd use twice a year. I got it for free when it was a paid app, and never installed it. But it -- both of these -- sound like what you're looking for. I skimmed the features, and I'm not sure they have paging, but maybe they're worth your time to check out.

P.S.: If one of those does what you want, you can donate that $10 you were offering either to the dev of the app, or XDA. ;)