[MOD][JVH] BackLightNotification v3.0 - led notifications by touchkey backlight

Search This thread

jamez243

Jul 7, 2008
neldar, would you know how to prevent screen from turning on when there is an incoming notification.
Otherwise it beats the point of using your program.

Same here...

I was hoping you could give me some guidance as I have asked in my developers Rom page and it goes ignored time and again.

I am using a Samsung Vibrant with JVT. BLN is kernel supported... works great for gmail and missed calls.

SMS doesn't work however because of the screen turning on and I hate it. I don't like GoSMS or Handcent so basically I am wondering... Is it possible that there is lines of code in my rom, something I can flash or what not that can be edited to keep the screen from turning on when I receive SMSs?

Thank you for your answers.

PatcheZ

May 6, 2008
Same here...

I was hoping you could give me some guidance as I have asked in my developers Rom page and it goes ignored time and again.

I am using a Samsung Vibrant with JVT. BLN is kernel supported... works great for gmail and missed calls.

SMS doesn't work however because of the screen turning on and I hate it. I don't like GoSMS or Handcent so basically I am wondering... Is it possible that there is lines of code in my rom, something I can flash or what not that can be edited to keep the screen from turning on when I receive SMSs?

Thank you for your answers.
sometimes, i just don't know... maybe the search button on xda needs to be bigger :p
[mod][xxjvt] Make BLN work for SMS notification

kpucci

Jan 31, 2011
This modification is ONLY for firmwares with Android versions >= 2.3 (gingerbread)!

What is BackLightNotification?
The BackLightNotification mod converts the touchkey backlights into a notification led. Any app that supports led notification is now able to notify you through the touchkey backlights.

What is modified?
The BackLightNotification mod replaces the kernel by a modified kernel and it also replaces the lights.default.so in /system/lib/hw/.
In detail: This kernel includes my backlight notification patch and additionally built-in ext4 and tun modules. (For lagfix and vpn support.) The lights.s5pc110.so in /system/lib/hw/ enables android led notification via backlights. This mod does not include any modified app. To enable led/backlight notification for an app/function see the Q&A "How do i enable notification for ...?"

What other features/fixes are included?
  • touchkey backlight timeout fix
  • tun support built-in

What are the differences to BLN for Froyo?
Led notifications in gingerbread do only work if the screen is powered off. You can not trigger a led notification while the screen is powered on and any led notification is automatically dismissed if the screen is powered on. This is a general "problem" of all gingerbread phones, this behavior is a design decision of the asop team. BLN control app has a workaround implemented for the internal call, locale & test notification.

What Galaxy S phones are supported?
The kernel in this thread is only for i9000 and i9000m (Bell Vibrant).
If you are searching for a kernel for your phone have look at this page: Supported phones by BLN (official list)
If your phone is not listed on that page, then you may ask someone who creates custom-kernels for that phone, whether she/he would like to include BLN. The patches are compatible to all already released Galaxy S phones.

Does this mod drain the battery?
No, that issue has already been fixed in the eclair build (in v0.9.8rc3, months ago).
Measurements on eclair showed, that an ongoing (static) BLN increases battery consumption by 0,18% per hour. The average battery consumption without BLN is 1,04% per hour, so an ongoing BLN results in an overall battery consumption of 1,22% per hour. And by the way: ongoing NoLed results in an overall battery consumption of more than 9,5% per hour. Please see the Q&A "How much does this modification affect battery life?".

For more questions and answers have a look at the Q&A in the second post.

Instructions for installation/update:

If you have any lagfix installed, remove/disable it before installing this BacklightNotification kernel.

New method for rooted phones: SGS kernel flasher app:
If your phone is already rooted you can try the SGS kernel flasher app.
Just download&install the app and select any .tar or update.zip that you want to flash from this thread.

Old methods for not rooted phones:

Odin/Heimdall-method (recommend):
  1. Download: i9000_jvh_BacklightNotification_v3.0_odin.tar (md5: e23eb9cda8d6289e00db2f4dc6442d2d)
  2. start odin
  3. select the .tar-file for PDA
  4. power off the phone
  5. boot into download mode (by pressing & holding "Vol Down" + "home key" + "power key" together,
    when bootlogo appears, release the keys)
  6. plug in the usb-cable to the phone
  7. press start in odin (DO NOT select re-partition!!!)
  8. wait for reboot
  9. install the BLN control app to enable the bln function
  10. see the Q&A "How do i enable backlight notification for ...? and install apps, if needed"

If the liblights is not properly installed you also have to apply this by recovery: bln-liblights-v1-install-update.zip

Update.zip-method:
  1. Download: i9000_jvh_BacklightNotification_v3.0.1_update.zip (md5: d4e91cbb930fb0dc852c21e59b6f54ef)
  2. copy the zip-file to /sdcard/
  3. rename the zip-file to "update.zip"
  4. power off the phone
  5. boot into recovery mode (by pressing "Vol Up" + "home key" + "power key" together,
  6. apply update.zip (Vol Up/Down to select and Home key to apply -
    you will see strange characters and a flickering screen, that is normal)
  7. wait for reboot
  8. install the BLN control app to enable the bln function
  9. see the Q&A "How do i enable backlight notification for ...? and install apps, if needed"

Credits:
supercurio - for his awesome job on the repos

does this work for the gs2 (i9100m) as well?

zoomzoomkg

Feb 13, 2011
galaxy s2 skyrocket rooted. tried sgs flasher app and says not supported. I am too noob to try using odin/computer at the moment.

i am not into flashing roms, i rooted merely to get this useful led feature which is tragically missing from samsung devices. hoping to find a way that doesnt involve me sitting at cpu for hrs carefully reading odin instructions and then trying to execute.

Dan_Aykroyd

Feb 10, 2010
SMS Patch

Anybody has or could post (extracted from Simplicity JVT) the services.jar and services.odex patched files in order to have stock SMS notifications?

Or just please let me know which "version" of Simplicity corresponds to XXJVT, since it's specified, and I'll extract them myself.

Thanks!

mr.gonzoo

Aug 20, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Thanks man, but honestly speaking I don't really know why I've asked for deodexed files... I'm on stock JVR, so it's odex I think? Sorry, I'm not a dev and I had a problem with understanding the difference between odex and deodex.
Could you once again reupload files but for odex rom that way? :)

cortx

Sep 18, 2010
Hello

I want to install BLN on my Galaxy S
My phone is in 2.3.6 - XXJVU, I've CWM and root installed already

So I want to Download i9000_jvh_BacklightNotification_v3.0.1_update.zip but the link is dead now.

Can someone have an other link to share please and could you confirm that BLN will work on my phone ?

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This modification is ONLY for firmwares with Android versions >= 2.3 (gingerbread)!

What is BackLightNotification?
    The BackLightNotification mod converts the touchkey backlights into a notification led. Any app that supports led notification is now able to notify you through the touchkey backlights.

What is modified?
    The BackLightNotification mod replaces the kernel by a modified kernel and it also replaces the lights.default.so in /system/lib/hw/.
    In detail: This kernel includes my backlight notification patch and additionally built-in ext4 and tun modules. (For lagfix and vpn support.) The lights.s5pc110.so in /system/lib/hw/ enables android led notification via backlights. This mod does not include any modified app. To enable led/backlight notification for an app/function see the Q&A "How do i enable notification for ...?"

What other features/fixes are included?
    • touchkey backlight timeout fix
    • tun support built-in

What are the differences to BLN for Froyo?
    Led notifications in gingerbread do only work if the screen is powered off. You can not trigger a led notification while the screen is powered on and any led notification is automatically dismissed if the screen is powered on. This is a general "problem" of all gingerbread phones, this behavior is a design decision of the asop team. BLN control app has a workaround implemented for the internal call, locale & test notification.

What Galaxy S phones are supported?
    The kernel in this thread is only for i9000 and i9000m (Bell Vibrant).
    If you are searching for a kernel for your phone have look at this page: Supported phones by BLN (official list)
    If your phone is not listed on that page, then you may ask someone who creates custom-kernels for that phone, whether she/he would like to include BLN. The patches are compatible to all already released Galaxy S phones.

Does this mod drain the battery?
    No, that issue has already been fixed in the eclair build (in v0.9.8rc3, months ago).
    Measurements on eclair showed, that an ongoing (static) BLN increases battery consumption by 0,18% per hour. The average battery consumption without BLN is 1,04% per hour, so an ongoing BLN results in an overall battery consumption of 1,22% per hour. And by the way: ongoing NoLed results in an overall battery consumption of more than 9,5% per hour. Please see the Q&A "How much does this modification affect battery life?".

For more questions and answers have a look at the Q&A in the second post.

Instructions for installation/update:

If you have any lagfix installed, remove/disable it before installing this BacklightNotification kernel.

New method for rooted phones: SGS kernel flasher app:
    If your phone is already rooted you can try the SGS kernel flasher app.
    Just download&install the app and select any .tar or update.zip that you want to flash from this thread.

Old methods for not rooted phones:

Odin/Heimdall-method (recommend):
    1. Download: i9000_jvh_BacklightNotification_v3.0_odin.tar (md5: e23eb9cda8d6289e00db2f4dc6442d2d)
    2. start odin
    3. select the .tar-file for PDA
    4. power off the phone
    5. boot into download mode (by pressing & holding "Vol Down" + "home key" + "power key" together,
    6. plug in the usb-cable to the phone
    7. press start in odin (DO NOT select re-partition!!!)
    8. wait for reboot
    9. install the BLN control app to enable the bln function
    10. see the Q&A "How do i enable backlight notification for ...? and install apps, if needed"

If the liblights is not properly installed you also have to apply this by recovery: bln-liblights-v1-install-update.zip

Update.zip-method:
    1. Download: i9000_jvh_BacklightNotification_v3.0.1_update.zip (md5: d4e91cbb930fb0dc852c21e59b6f54ef)
    2. copy the zip-file to /sdcard/
    3. rename the zip-file to "update.zip"
    4. power off the phone
    5. boot into recovery mode (by pressing "Vol Up" + "home key" + "power key" together,
    6. apply update.zip (Vol Up/Down to select and Home key to apply -
      you will see strange characters and a flickering screen, that is normal)
    7. wait for reboot
    8. install the BLN control app to enable the bln function
    9. see the Q&A "How do i enable backlight notification for ...? and install apps, if needed"

Credits:
    supercurio - for his awesome job on the repos
    Questions & Answers:

How do i enable led notification for ...?
    • sms: notification by default
    • touchwiz email: notification by default
    • gmail: notification by default
    • Google talk: notification by default
    • calendar: download "Calendar notifier" app from market (alternative)
    • call: my BLN control - Pro from market
    • any other apps:
      ask the author of the app for notification led support

How much does this modification affect battery life?
    With backlight notification permanently powered on, the battery lasts around 82 hours (around 3,5 days, 1,22% per hour). This means, that activated backlights will increase battery usage by about 0,18% per hour. If there is no backlight notification ongoing, battery life is normal (around 96 hours, 1,04% per hour). Tested with flight mode enabled.
    How do you test the battery consumption? This is a common and reliable method.

Could you add a fade feature?
    That is not possible, hardware is limited (by controller firmware) to simple on/off.

I got the message "Cannot open update.zip (bad)". What does this message mean?
    That means the file got corrupted, you should delete the update.zip in /sdcard/ and download the zip-file again, copy it again to /sdcard/ and rename it to "update.zip".

Source:

Chancelog:

v3.0.1
    * fixed update.zip

v3.0
    * initial release for i9000 gingerbread
    * improved install script

v2.3.1
    * fixed: install script not working

v2.3 (stable)
    * added: blink sysfs file

v2.2 (stable)
    * new sysfs interface (/sys/class/misc/backlightnotification/)

v2.0 (stable, based on rc1)
    * initial release for i9000 froyo

v1.1.4 (release candidate 1)
    * minor fix (typo)

v1.1.3 (beta2)
    * fixed: backlight notification broken in sleep mode
    * fixed: recovery broken
    * fixed: pixel noise/snow during boot

v1.1.0 (beta1)
    * build with Sourcery G++ Lite 2010q1
    Hello

Services patch for XXJVR

to use in a rom deodexed, you have this:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?o57j6sp77cjki39

for odexed rom:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?qwv20u1rj09auju

enjoy it
    I have bothered to read the entire thread before posting... ;-)
    5 pages, not very long...

For testing, I send text message with another phone, while the screen is off: no led notification! same result with gmail and call. :mad:

At least gmail should do it, call and sms activates the screen on receiving.

If you are using a deodexed jvh, you can replace the services.jar in /system/framework/ with the one attached to this post. The services.jar is modified to match the led notification behavior of froyo (allows to trigger led notifications while the screen is on).
    neldar i sthere a possibility to fix MMS.apk to work with bln? are you going to try to fix this but in future? :)

Thanks to ED8 you can use a modded services.jar for deodexed jvp roms.