Roto Backup! UPDATED Dec 5 2010

Search This thread

rainbow ng

Oct 1, 2010
Good news?
down volume+power button
or just let it connect with PC with Odlin opened.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA App

rainbow ng

Oct 1, 2010
search through the forum " Roto JMI pre-rooted firmware v2", download the Roto JMI full.zip, carefully read the instruction there.
The main point is :
click re-partiition
pit choose p1-hidden pit
pda choose the rom file you downloaded,(must extrated by winzip to a file with extension .tar.)
once you see a yellow box inside odin ,press start and everything should fine.
p.s. The yellowbox willshow when u see the phone-!-computer show on the tab.

gsm or cdma,? have different rom
Good Luck
I will beost gracefull if u can save your TAB life!

rainbow ng

Oct 1, 2010
mis-type: beost =be most

Bad News now, the one from samfirmware is no good as missing dbdata.rfs and also have protected bootloader issue. Although Chainfire and Rotohammer had solved the bootloader issue,.Next time, never use the Rom from Samfirmware.com except u can extract it.

Sorry my friend.

Last edited:

rainbow ng

Oct 1, 2010
Hey. claim down, you now need to study the topic from Chainfire about "Don't flash JMxx....the signed bootloader ), to removed the protected bootloader issue first.
Next time use Roto pre-rooted firmware. Rotohammer is so kind that he removed the signed bootloader for us in his custom rom.

Congulation!!!!

but u still have much to do. see you.
Thank You for you to trust me!

hotsync100

Jun 27, 2009
Caracas
I tried to flash the P1000NUBJM2 on my P1000N and it bricked my Tab!, but thanks to Roto Backup, I could restore back my original rom using Odin 1.7..

My only concern is that odin finished my restore with "Failed"??? every seem to be working well, and I also did a complete titanium restore (system +apps) .. Should I be worried about that Failed Status ? Should I check any on my tab ?

Please give me your advice ..

And again: Thank you very much Roto for your RotoBackup.

Digiguest

Dec 26, 2010
Ontario
Is there a possibility that you can make an app that will do this instead of us having to type in every single command?

Pretty Please? :D

rotohammer

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
Sorry rotohammer, but I felt so angry at being stucked with a dead GT twice just with the same procedure, and with no help from anybody and left over except from rainbow ng.

If you followed the discussion and read well, I had no locked boot loader and no problem with Odin, as my initial ROM was a stock JJ3 and what saved me was the install of your Roto JME with Odin.

If it was locked boot loader, I could not install Roto JME, right, even with Odin ? ^^

Actually, if you have a locked bootloader, Roto-JME or JMI will install just fine, as they originally came with locked bootloaders.

Have you run Chainfire bootloader fix tool?

But as already mentioned, I have 3G connection issues with the Roto JME, so that's the reason I wanted to to downgrade to my previous saved JJ3.
Downgrade from Roto JME to JJ3, again no locked boot loader or did I miss something about your "specific" work ??? lol !

Again, I was saved by Odin : reinstall Roto JME, add-on Modem and with a multi-CSC so it should meet the network of a french operator.

Everything sounds working fine (I can see full five bars) but everytime I try to connect to the Internet without Wifi connection, it does simply not work ! ^^

Euh hmmm, no I don't think I will try a third time with Heimdall : I'm not that masochist !!! ^^

In theory, the JME/JMI firmware may keep you from getting 3G connectivity, but thats only because they probably don't contain the APN settings for your carrier. Its a good idea to write down your APN settings before you flash.

There's several directions for you to go in, either try the bootloader fix and continue to flash the last know working firmware (JJ3) if for no other reason to get back your working APN settings.

The other way is to load Roto-JME or JMI and manually set the APN settings for your carrier based on the results of a google search. I'm still running Roto-JMI and I'm quite happy with it.

Reactions: the-bink

cx5

Apr 4, 2009
but everytime I try to connect to the Internet without Wifi connection, it does simply not work ! ^^

There are apks from the market to let you select your APN, My SGT from HK and lost the APN when travelling to Taipei and installed their APN. Came back to HK and install HK APN apk and solved. Good luck.

If you want to revert to original with primary focus is 3G, i.e. the APN settings, then you don't need the failed kernel. Make another TAR without the kernel and try.

rainbow ng

Oct 1, 2010
Thanks, but I finally found out the way to select the "correct" CSC and the APN parameters ^^

Congulation my friend, you get everything! :)

I just want to say Mr Rotohammer have make many contribution for us!

The Roto Backup is quite amazing if u realize everything about the theory.

He solved the bootloader issue together with Chainfire.

He make modified ROM for Each version released by Samsung and make things much easier for us.

His knowledge in this field assist the TAB owner a must.

I think we should say Thank You to him! ;-)

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA Premium App

rainbow ng

Oct 1, 2010
Sound great for your idea! Does u mean running Window OS on the tablet?

maybe try the odlin method , in the first post Rotohammer has point out how to make a odlin flashable rom. I use this to provide stock ROM for people in TAIWAN and HONG KONG. As odlin is more familiar for the user in our country

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA Premium App

rotohammer

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
The Roto backup was a nice idea and that's the reason I first click the Thank button even BEFORE I tried the restore procedure. Then you know the story...

Originally, the purpose of developing the RotoBackup was for me to be able to save and repackage a stock ROM and to give developers a way to switch between firmwares. Then I wanted everyone to do it so I could assist in helping folks revert back to stock. I really expected someone to polish the steps into an app, something I don't have time to do.

Some folks are disappointed that I just make hacker tools and not noob friendly apps. I do what I can, when I can, for myself, but publish my work in hopes its useful to someone else. I ask for nothing but a thank you in return.

Now that the Tab is over 6 months old, it is soon to be obsolete. We get to start all over with the next device.

xpgroup

Feb 26, 2010
Originally, the purpose of developing the RotoBackup was for me to be able to save and repackage a stock ROM and to give developers a way to switch between firmwares. Then I wanted everyone to do it so I could assist in helping folks revert back to stock. I really expected someone to polish the steps into an app, something I don't have time to do.

Some folks are disappointed that I just make hacker tools and not noob friendly apps. I do what I can, when I can, for myself, but publish my work in hopes its useful to someone else. I ask for nothing but a thank you in return.

Now that the Tab is over 6 months old, it is soon to be obsolete. We get to start all over with the next device.

Roto, as usual... thanks for all your supports in the past! Just curious... what will be the next device you're considering to switch?

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

akmzero

Aug 11, 2010
Buffalo
Question, if i roto backup another sprint tab, can i use it to revert a different rooted one back to stock?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

futuregerald

Jun 15, 2007
Bronx
Question, if i roto backup another sprint tab, can i use it to revert a different rooted one back to stock?

You can just download a stock rom that's already been made http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=9753941#post9753941

I just un-compressed the archive and flashed the files using the heimdall gui. make sure you download the stock package or at least the zephyr with NO modem. if you flash the modem you will lose gps forever.

akmzero

Aug 11, 2010
Buffalo
If I flash the no modem one, do I loose my 3g? Thats my only concern with flashing that. Sorry for my ignorance. Not much info on the sprint island :(

futuregerald

Jun 15, 2007
Bronx
If I flash the no modem one, do I loose my 3g? Thats my only concern with flashing that. Sorry for my ignorance. Not much info on the sprint island :(

You should flash the stock with no modem file, if you do then you will not lose 3G, it will bring your device back to being new. You can try using Odin but I've had trouble with it in the past which is why I prefer Heimdall gui. if you un-tar it you will should then flash the following files using heimdall gui:

cache.rfs
dbdata.rfs
factoryfs.rfs
param.lfs
zImage

Note that you should put the zImage in the kernel slot AND the recovery slot as well and the other files in their respective boxes. Once you do this your tab will go back to full stock pre-update.

No need to apologize, we all have to start somewhere, even though I've spent the last year hacking my nexus one I was a n00b on the galaxy tab for quite a while and fully bricked one and had to have it replaced by Samsung(free). Good luck; if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

P.S. from what i read the modem in the image was taken from the evo 4G(i think, haven't read the thread in weeks), this modem is supposed to work in 3G but will bork your GPS forever; do not flash the one with the modem, make sure you download the image with no modem.

Last edited:
Reactions: akmzero

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've been trying to recreate a flashable firmware based on the stock TMobile flash dumps and I have complete success.

Heres how to save your current firmware. It will be saved with all apps and settings except for whats on /sdcard.

I recommend reseting to defaults using "Settings->Privacy->Factory data reset" if you want to give these files to someone else to build a flashable rom for you. That will delete all your personal information.

Note: I just backed up a completely setup AT&T Tab, with tons of apps and customizations and restored it to my stock T-Mobile Tab, perfectly! Every app works, home screen is setup perfect, everything!

Effectively this is equivalent to a nandroid backup.

I'll call it "Roto Backup"!
    Code:
    mkdir backup
    cd backup
    adb shell  su -c "dd if=/dev/block/bml1 of=/sdcard/boot.bin bs=4096"
    adb shell  su -c "dd if=/dev/block/bml2 of=/sdcard/pit.pit bs=4096"
    adb shell  su -c "dd if=/dev/block/stl3 of=/sdcard/efs.rfs bs=4096"
    adb shell  su -c "dd if=/dev/block/bml4 of=/sdcard/Sbl.bin bs=4096"
    adb shell  su -c "dd if=/dev/block/stl6 of=/sdcard/param.lfs bs=4096"
    adb shell  su -c "dd if=/dev/block/bml7 of=/sdcard/zImage bs=4096"
    adb shell  su -c "dd if=/dev/block/stl9 of=/sdcard/factoryfs.rfs bs=4096"
    adb shell  su -c "dd if=/dev/block/stl10 of=/sdcard/dbdata.rfs bs=4096"
    adb shell  su -c "dd if=/dev/block/stl11 of=/sdcard/cache.rfs bs=4096"
    adb shell  su -c "dd if=/dev/block/bml12 of=/sdcard/modem.bin bs=4096"
    adb shell  su -c "tar -czvf /sdcard/data.tar.gz /data"

adb pull /sdcard/param.lfs .
    adb pull /sdcard/zImage .
    adb pull /sdcard/factoryfs.rfs .
    adb pull /sdcard/dbdata.rfs .
    adb pull /sdcard/cache.rfs .
    adb pull /sdcard/modem.bin .
    adb pull /sdcard/efs.rfs .
    adb pull /sdcard/boot.bin .
    adb pull /sdcard/Sbl.bin .
    adb pull /sdcard/pit.pit .
    adb pull /sdcard/data.tar.gz .

Note you will be prompted for superuser permissions on the Tabs LCD on every dd command.

If you don't have the tar command on your tab, install Busybox Installer from the market.

I just paste the above commands into my command shell window and when im done all the files are siting in my current (backup) directory.

Roto Restore:
    First flash the data back:
    Code:
    adb push data.tar.gz /sdcard/data.tar.gz
    adb shell su -c "tar -zxvf /sdcard/data.tar.gz"
    adb reboot download

Now flash the dumps with Heimdall:
    Code:
    heimdall flash --kernel zImage --factoryfs factoryfs.rfs --modem modem.bin --cache cache.rfs --dbdata dbdata.rfs --param param.lfs

Of course you could tar the files right n the Tab and flash via Odin if you really want to:
    Code:
    adb shell
    cd /sdcard
    tar -cf mybackup.tar cache.rfs dbdata.rfs factoryfs.rfs modem.bin param.lfs zImage
    exit
    adb pull /sdcard/mybackup.tar .
    It sounds like this guy is new to android and iz trying to reinvent the wheel

Sent from my SGH-T849 using XDA App

No, it sounds like he's trying to do exactly what he says he's doing, and that is to recreate the base TMo firmware from DD dumps!

Why? So that if necessary he could return to complete stock if he wished, and because there is no stock TMo image available.

A Nandroid backup doesn't cut the mustard in this case.

Remember guys - just because you don't see a need for something, it doesn't mean that that need doesn't exist for others!

Regards,

Dave

P.S. If you'd read any of Rotohammers posts in these forums, and looked back over previous activity in other sections, you'd know that he's not new to Android at all! ;)
    Hey. claim down, you now need to study the topic from Chainfire about "Don't flash JMxx....the signed bootloader ), to removed the protected bootloader issue first.
    Next time use Roto pre-rooted firmware. Rotohammer is so kind that he removed the signed bootloader for us in his custom rom.

Congulation!!!!

but u still have much to do. see you.
    Thank You for you to trust me!

This will get you going...

Make any changes you want on the phone...

You can dump any BML like this;
    dd if=/dev/block/bml1 of=/sdcard/boot.bin bs=4096
    dd if=/dev/block/bml2 of=/sdcard/pit.pit bs=4096
    dd if=/dev/block/bml4 of=/sdcard/Sbl.bin bs=4096
    dd if=/dev/block/bml6 of=/sdcard/param.lfs bs=4096
    dd if=/dev/block/bml7 of=/sdcard/zImage bs=4096
    dd if=/dev/block/bml9 of=/sdcard/factoryfs.rfs bs=4096
    dd if=/dev/block/bml10 of=/sdcard/dbdata.rfs bs=4096
    dd if=/dev/block/bml11 of=/sdcard/cache.rfs bs=4096
    dd if=/dev/block/bml12 of=/sdcard/modem.bin bs=4096

Once you have all of those you can make an odin flashable tar.

Create Flashable Tar
    tar --format=ustar -cf PDA.tar boot.bin cache.rfs dbdata.rfs factoryfs.rfs modem.bin param.lfs Sbl.bin zImage dbdata.rfs

Load up the PDA.tar into the PDA slot in odin, load up the pit in the pit slot, flash.
    I've been trying to recreate a flashable firmware based on the stock TMobile flash dumps and I have complete success.

Heres how to save your current firmware. It will be saved with all apps and settings except for whats on /sdcard.

I recommend reseting to defaults using "Settings->Privacy->Factory data reset" if you want to give these files to someone else to build a flashable rom for you. That will delete all your personal information.

Note: I just backed up a completely setup AT&T Tab, with tons of apps and customizations and restored it to my stock T-Mobile Tab, perfectly! Every app works, home screen is setup perfect, everything!

Effectively this is equivalent to a nandroid backup.

I'll call it "Roto Backup"!
    Code:
    mkdir backup
    cd backup
    adb shell  su -c "dd if=/dev/block/bml1 of=/sdcard/boot.bin bs=4096"
    adb shell  su -c "dd if=/dev/block/bml2 of=/sdcard/pit.pit bs=4096"
    adb shell  su -c "dd if=/dev/block/stl3 of=/sdcard/efs.rfs bs=4096"
    adb shell  su -c "dd if=/dev/block/bml4 of=/sdcard/Sbl.bin bs=4096"
    adb shell  su -c "dd if=/dev/block/stl6 of=/sdcard/param.lfs bs=4096"
    adb shell  su -c "dd if=/dev/block/bml7 of=/sdcard/zImage bs=4096"
    adb shell  su -c "dd if=/dev/block/stl9 of=/sdcard/factoryfs.rfs bs=4096"
    adb shell  su -c "dd if=/dev/block/stl10 of=/sdcard/dbdata.rfs bs=4096"
    adb shell  su -c "dd if=/dev/block/stl11 of=/sdcard/cache.rfs bs=4096"
    adb shell  su -c "dd if=/dev/block/bml12 of=/sdcard/modem.bin bs=4096"
    adb shell  su -c "tar -czvf /sdcard/data.tar.gz /data"

adb pull /sdcard/param.lfs .
    adb pull /sdcard/zImage .
    adb pull /sdcard/factoryfs.rfs .
    adb pull /sdcard/dbdata.rfs .
    adb pull /sdcard/cache.rfs .
    adb pull /sdcard/modem.bin .
    adb pull /sdcard/efs.rfs .
    adb pull /sdcard/boot.bin .
    adb pull /sdcard/Sbl.bin .
    adb pull /sdcard/pit.pit .
    adb pull /sdcard/data.tar.gz .

Note you will be prompted for superuser permissions on the Tabs LCD on every dd command.

If you don't have the tar command on your tab, install Busybox Installer from the market.

I just paste the above commands into my command shell window and when im done all the files are siting in my current (backup) directory.

Roto Restore:
    First flash the data back:
    Code:
    adb push data.tar.gz /sdcard/data.tar.gz
    adb shell su -c "tar -zxvf /sdcard/data.tar.gz"
    adb reboot download

Now flash the dumps with Heimdall:
    Code:
    heimdall flash --kernel zImage --factoryfs factoryfs.rfs --modem modem.bin --cache cache.rfs --dbdata dbdata.rfs --param param.lfs

Of course you could tar the files right n the Tab and flash via Odin if you really want to:
    Code:
    adb shell
    cd /sdcard
    tar -cf mybackup.tar cache.rfs dbdata.rfs factoryfs.rfs modem.bin param.lfs zImage
    exit
    adb pull /sdcard/mybackup.tar .

Hi, will this also work in a Galaxy Tab Wifi only (P1010)?:confused: I really would like to make a Backup to flash if needed of my stock Froyo.

Thanks in advance.