[WIP] Ubuntu on G9 v0.2

Search This thread

Mopi6

Aug 17, 2009
Flash Android

I everyone,

I'd like to know how i can reflash an android rom if I flash this Ubuntu image...
If I put the Image in the folder /mnt/storage and if I update the kermel, everything will work fine ?

Thank you !

julle131

Mar 24, 2011
I everyone,

I'd like to know how i can reflash an android rom if I flash this Ubuntu image...
If I put the Image in the folder /mnt/storage and if I update the kermel, everything will work fine ?

Thank you !

One way to return is to flash official rom. After that remove ubuntus img, and insert new img. then just boot to recovery, choose sde, and remove android kernel and flash new kernel.

Some later edits:

EDIT1:
Ubuntu 1204 v0.21 out.
Image:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxgjsI4pMALhVl9kek9SSFpKb2M/edit
Kernels:
to (android) firmware 4.0.6:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxgjsI4pMALheHZoVUdIYnVTN28/edit
to (android) firmware 4.0.5:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxgjsI4pMALhS2R2cmoxZkZPREE/edit
Please feedbacks.
Fix touchscreen. (please start first with AC/USB cable)
UPDATE: sorry, touchscreen work with cypress-tma340...(80G9)
Bluetooth, overclock (only 4430), brightness -> Applications-Other
(overlock is dangerous!)
(bluetooth first start on the panel, then start Other menu Bluetooth On)
Libreoffice, Gimp, Chromium
Totem mediaplayer codecs install (mplayer is not good now)
Swapfile
Bug fixes
Desktop settings - increases all
Increase volume
And stuff
(Test battery modul (the image working good on AC, sometimes stuck in the starting battery (press power-touch-power and switch hotplug then back interactive) I think this can only improve the battery fixed.)
Now pause, thanks.

You are right ergoen. In my 80G9 is cypress-tma340 panel. I can not develop and test the hardware for which I do not have, sorry everybody. But now in last image no xorg.conf, the X server automatic detection of hardware. (My tma340 is /dev/input/event5)
I change two things in last kernel, tty and network. All other original archos.

Tipp for others panels: sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-tslib

It is hard, (atleast for me) to write without onscreen keyboard, because the rear usb port doesn't work, and i have lost my otg cable. Is there any tricks how can i input this? I have ordered new
cable, and it will arrive in 3 weeks. Kinda long time :(.

EDIT2:
I was reading the general android hacking and found this: [HOWTO] Seamless integration of Android and GNU/Linux Debian. It would be awesome if that would work for G9.

Last edited:

pengyo

Aug 17, 2011
How to kill X server

I would like to kill the X server and work from a console
terminal, Ctrl-Alt-Delete does not work, nor does switching
between ttys with Alt-f1, Alt-f2 , Ctrl-Alt-f2, etc.

How can I do this?

Also, is there an Android image that will dual boot from
the same kernel?

julle131

Mar 24, 2011

How can I do this?

Also, is there an Android image that will dual boot from
the same kernel?

I think rooted 4.0.4 test ICS will boot with this kernel. You can get new kernel from few pages back, but the touchscreen doesn't work in it for all tablets. You need the x-server for on-screen keyboard. I don't know how to kill it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

iourine

Feb 4, 2012

How can I do this?

Traditionally it was CTRL-ALT-Backspace... if not disabled (cannot try at the moment).

If memory is not critical for your work, just abandon the X and connect over ssh from another machine. The ssh server is included into this build and works perfectly.

Then look into initialization files - where the graphical mode is turned on.

rtomakov

Apr 2, 2009
Recently I tried plasma active build for archos g9 on my 101 g9 16gb turbo.
I have made .ext4 image form sd card build of active plasma, with some minimal modifications, and successfully boot it from multi boot menu - kernel image and init posted in this thread (ubu1204_021). That was expected since both builds run on 3.0.8.(+) kernel.

Touchscreen works as usual.

So, I concluded that ubuntu touchscreen problem is not in drivers (kernel modules) since same modules work with plasma active, but more probably in some X configuration files or udev (maybe it doesnt recognize our touchscreen), or udev rules form ubuntu.

Also, I noticed one significant difference between ubuntu and plasma active X - active build X uses mtev (xorg-x11-drv-mtev) as multitouch driver (xorg driver, not kernel module), and ubuntu uses evdev driver.
But, there is no mtev package for ubuntu, so I ve tried to compile it form source.I didnt succeed (I don know why, probably some dependencies).

I am certain that mtev driver is the key for getting our A101S touchscreen to work.

pengyo

Aug 17, 2011
Traditionally it was CTRL-ALT-Backspace... if not disabled (cannot try at the moment).

Then look into initialization files - where the graphical mode is turned on.

CTRL-ALT-Backspace does not work.

I tried modifying lightdm.conf to stop the display manager on run level 2, but that had no
effect.

Where else might I look?

I use an external keyboard and mouse throught the G3 USB port.
What I look forward to is runing GNU Emacs in console most of the time, and
starting X with FVWM from the command line as needed.

Ubuntu really was not necessary, but the only game in town with a proper external
keyboard.

rtomakov

Apr 2, 2009
CTRL-ALT-Backspace does not work.

I tried modifying lightdm.conf to stop the display manager on run level 2, but that had no
effect.

Where else might I look?

I use an external keyboard and mouse throught the G3 USB port.
What I look forward to is runing GNU Emacs in console most of the time, and
starting X with FVWM from the command line as needed.

Ubuntu really was not necessary, but the only game in town with a proper external
keyboard.

Did you try "setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp" before pressing CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE" ?

Last edited:

pengyo

Aug 17, 2011
Did you try "setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp" before pressing CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE" ?

That let me kill the X server, but the X server simply re-started.
Where are the startup settings that control starting the X server?

Also, what is the device name for the GPS unit? Do I need to modprobe
a driver for it?

Last edited:

gen_scheisskopf

Feb 22, 2009
Poznań
Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 (2021)
That let me kill the X server, but the X server simply re-started.
Where are the startup settings that control starting the X server?
IIRC you should get full screen console with Ctrl+Alt+F[1-5] (but tty1 may be in use by xserver).
As for autostart- try disabling display manager as it is responsible for keeping xserver and window manager sessions alive

pengyo

Aug 17, 2011
IIRC you should get full screen console with Ctrl+Alt+F[1-5] (but tty1 may be in use by xserver).
As for autostart- try disabling display manager as it is responsible for keeping xserver and window manager sessions alive

The f keys don't switch between terminals.

I tried all options at the link suggested except for uninstalling lightgdm, which would not be easy to undo by mounting the
image and editing files.

Two that probably stopped the desktop manager in the login sequence also left me stuck at the multiboot screen. Maybe t
here is something in a script that waits for the desktop manager before handing off?

I can't boot right now, so I can't easily test if simply killing the X server is enough to get the console after modifying
the tty1.conf and lightgdm.conf files to do the right things in run level 2.
EDIT:
Nothing works.
Changing the config files and killing the X server, restarts the X server.
sudo stop lightdm
leads to a freeze. So does uninstalling lightdm and killing the X server.

This machine in a console with frame buffer for the occasional graphic,
or with X and FVWM would be fantastic.

Last edited:

TjaXanK

Mar 14, 2010
Wanted to make my contribution, I'll uplad a version running LXDE Desktop enviroment, plus some optimizations I've done to it to make it faster... Still trying to get the sgx drivers to work... but they will, sooner or later

Reactions: Hohenstaufen

julle131

Mar 24, 2011
Wanted to make my contribution, I'll uplad a version running LXDE Desktop enviroment, plus some optimizations I've done to it to make it faster... Still trying to get the sgx drivers to work... but they will, sooner or later

Did you get touchscreen working? It wasnt working in 0.21

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

sungod88

Dec 28, 2011
hey I am having a hard time understanding the directions Is there anyone who can explain it a little more in detail. I have SDE but I'm not sure where I'm putting these files.

julle131

Mar 24, 2011
hey I am having a hard time understanding the directions Is there anyone who can explain it a little more in detail. I have SDE but I'm not sure where I'm putting these files.

It's in the first post. First you doynload the ubuntu compressed archive which you uncompress. Then you use android development bridge to move the uncrompressed file to your tablet. After that you just install the kernel and reboot.

Sent from my ARCHOS 101G9 using xda app-developers app

sungod88

Dec 28, 2011
Got IT! This is great now I just have to figure out how to really use it and get apps installed. I feel like I don't have it all the way done though. Also I can't see my portable hard drive when using it in the rear port.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,
    let's try to get Ubuntu working on our tablets.
    adbd is included in the images, so you have a root shell over adb :)

SDE required.
    Extract all.
    adb push ubu1204.img.ext4 /data/media/
    Reboot - SDE - Flash kernel and initrd
    Multiboot menu 0.3 - ubu1204.img.ext4 (from the menu to start the ICS, such as "archos.ext4")
    Done.
    (passwords: ubuntu - ubuntu root - root)

Working:
    - Booting on 80G9 and 101G9
    - Touchscreen (touchpad mode)
    - Keyboard via OTG cable
    - Mass storage on rear USB-prt
    - SD card automount on plugin
    - LCD backlight brightness control via command line, lol
    - Networking (incl. WiFi)

Changelog:
    0.2:
    - Made by szanalmas
    - Upgrade to 12.04
    - Kernel 3.0.8+
    - Working WiFi (try adding a dummy network, then it works), Sound
    - Switched from Unity to Gnome Classic

0.1:
    - Initial build.

Todo:
    - Bluetooth
    - Hardware acceleration
    - Camera
    - Battery

Download v0.2:
    Image: Download
    SHA: View

Kernel: Download
    SHA: View

Download v0.1:
    sysroot_ice.img http://hotfile.com/dl/145362762/7e3f710/ubuntu.img.rar.html MD5:2d9dbc775820db5dda281df84ab7db64

initramfs.cpio.gz http://hotfile.com/dl/145366156/8c56f1d/initramfs.cpio.gz.html MD5:150fc53be381ac3247d44226061868af

zImage http://hotfile.com/dl/145366657/34f75c7/zImage.html MD5:4de6efeec193aa5809f2ff871a96ef2d

Thanks to
    - szanalmas for upgrade to 12.04, kernel 3.0.8+, WiFi
    - letama for provided kernel + initramfs
    - trevd for testing on 101G9 and reuploading stuff ;)
    - Adam / OPPO

Ubuntu 1204 v0.21 out.

Image:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxgjsI4pMALhVl9kek9SSFpKb2M/edit

Kernels:
    to (android) firmware 4.0.6:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxgjsI4pMALheHZoVUdIYnVTN28/edit

to (android) firmware 4.0.5:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxgjsI4pMALhS2R2cmoxZkZPREE/edit

Please feedbacks.

Fix touchscreen. (please start first with AC/USB cable)
    UPDATE: sorry, touchscreen work with cypress-tma340...(80G9)
    Bluetooth, overclock (only 4430), brightness -> Applications-Other
    (overlock is dangerous!)
    (bluetooth first start on the panel, then start Other menu Bluetooth On)
    Libreoffice, Gimp, Chromium
    Totem mediaplayer codecs install (mplayer is not good now)
    Swapfile
    Bug fixes
    Desktop settings - increases all
    Increase volume
    And stuff
    (Test battery modul (the image working good on AC, sometimes stuck in the starting battery (press power-touch-power and switch hotplug then back interactive) I think this can only improve the battery fixed.)

Now pause, thanks.
    Szanalmas, can you post the kernel and the image with what you have working so far in a new thread?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Image:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxgjsI4pMALhWkxNNkRiUnAzY2c ->Download
    (SHA: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxgjsI4pMALheTN3TVVpUS1NT3c )

Kernel:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxgjsI4pMALhREpLQi11aVRpMWc ->File-Download
    (SHA: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxgjsI4pMALhNUMzNEdGNlIxQWs/edit )

Usage:
    SDE required.
    Extract all. :)
    adb push ubu1204.img.ext4 /data/media/
    Reboot - SDE - Flash kernel and initrd
    Multiboot menu 0.3 - ubu1204.img.ext4 (from the menu to start the ICS, such as "archos.ext4")
    Done.
    (passwords: ubuntu - ubuntu root - root)

Problems:
    Camera
    Battery (sometimes poweroff)
    Touchscreen (work only touchpad mode, cursor, etc. sometimes tear)
    Shutdown (sometimes need touch screen or press (once-twice) powerbutton if need)
    Harware acceleration
    Brightness

Available:
    Wireless
    3.0.8+ kernel, parallel operation with the ICS (i don't know any bug ICS-BLUE, but i don't tested to many)
    Network (my poor usb eth card working)
    Sound (is sound :))
    Update, upgrade (slow, database big)
    Autologin ubuntu user
    SSH
    Onboard keyboard - click icon on desktop
    Gnome classic
    DarkIce window theme :)

Other:
    Thouchpad once click and double click.
    If you are not satisfied, write back to the previous kernel and initrd with SDE.
    I tested image only 8G9.
    Adbd not working

IMPORTANT: this NOT stable!

Use at your own risk! (and blablabla :)) Good luck and have a nice sex! :D

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

Is USB working? We could use a mouse then

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using XDA Premium HD app

USB working, i use my USB keyboard and wireless mouse, but my other mice did not work.
    I used a USB hub. (worked on my em28xx TV card too, but was not good because v4l2 problems. :))
    hey guys,
    i know i ask lot of SED and so on, but i want to know if there's some full ! thread how to root my archos, how to enable SED and then how to dualboot ... i know that there is allways a thread how to root/enable SED, but it's really old and i don't know if there are some new ones (.. i'm sorry but im really "vorsichtig") ... i have seen some full thread, but the links to download the files are from megaupload (megaupload ;) , you know what the problem is :D - for those who not so good informed, megaupload was closed ;-( ) .. and so it would relly really nice if someone can post me a full thread or all links i need (actual links pls) ... a big thanks - tom

Here you go - fresh links:
    sysroot_ice.img http://hotfile.com/dl/145362762/7e3f710/ubuntu.img.rar.html MD5:2d9dbc775820db5dda281df84ab7db64

initramfs.cpio.gz http://hotfile.com/dl/145366156/8c56f1d/initramfs.cpio.gz.html MD5:150fc53be381ac3247d44226061868af

zImage http://hotfile.com/dl/145366657/34f75c7/zImage.html MD5:4de6efeec193aa5809f2ff871a96ef2d
    Hi Guys,

A1Pha, sorry, didn't have time to test your build, too much stuff going on...

Here is a quick feedback on wifi that may help you:

In android, here is how it works (from memory, don't have my laptop to check)

1) you need to create a nvs file corresponding to tablet, check android init.rc for the way it's done there...
    2) Then when you do need wifi, insmod the tiwlan.ko
    3) Then, load firmware (check wlan_loader in android init.rc, you should be able to reuse the command) and nvs. If all goes well up to here, you should be able to do ifconfig tiwlan0 and it should have a mac address.
    4) Then start wpa_supplicant. You need the appropriate version of wpa_supplicant, 0.8 I think in android source code. You may want to build source code from android source with the appropriate options to remove android extensions.

Again, this is from memory, I'll try to give you more details tomorrow.

Regarding audio, this is mostly alsa so it shouldn't be impossible, you should be able to re-use the configuration found in archos rootfs in /usr/ sub directories. You have to insmod the proper modules though.

Best,

LeTama