[HOWTO] [ROOT] No Tripping Flash Counter [Tmobile / Wind / Mobilicity / Videotron]

Search This thread

cLogic

Sep 13, 2012
Montreal

joselamar

Feb 28, 2011
I read some of the CM11 threads for KitKat 4.4.4 but looks like there are a few issues with WiFi, camera, etc... Looks like that ROM is full of issues and one has to flash a few zips to fix them.
This question is for mrRobinson.
Do you have KitKat 4.4.4 in mind to develop for the SGH-T999?

Perseus

Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
I read some of the CM11 threads for KitKat 4.4.4 but looks like there are a few issues with WiFi, camera, etc... Looks like that ROM is full of issues and one has to flash a few zips to fix them.
This question is for mrRobinson.
Do you have KitKat 4.4.4 in mind to develop for the SGH-T999?
Well he hasn't Developed these Stock Firmwares. What he has done is to inject root in the Stock Firmware on this thread.

Having said that, There isn't likely to be a Kitkat 4.4.4 here unless Samsung Releases one for this device.
I'm running T-Mobile build number T99LUVUBNF4. Can I use the newest version of route66 or am I upgraded to a firmware that is too new?
Think you have a the most recent version for your T999L.

joselamar

Feb 28, 2011
Well he hasn't Developed these Stock Firmwares. What he has done is to inject root in the Stock Firmware on this thread.

Having said that, There isn't likely to be a Kitkat 4.4.4 here unless Samsung Releases one for this device.

I'm still hoping that Samsung releases the kitkat version for the T-Mobile GS3. I don't know how T-Mobile can keep customers happy when they are always the last ones to release versions.

Shack70

Jan 20, 2014
York
Amazon Fire HD 8 and HD 10

Yeah I have the newest version. Is there a version of Route66 I can use to root my phone? I'm just looking to gain root without tripping the counter and Route66 seems like the best option. No need to run custom firmware such as kitkat, I just don't want to brick it.

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Yeah I have the newest version. Is there a version of Route66 I can use to root my phone? I'm just looking to gain root without tripping the counter and Route66 seems like the best option. No need to run custom firmware such as kitkat, I just don't want to brick it.
The latest for D2TMO is in OP. Use that with Odin.

Shack70

Jan 20, 2014
York
No I don't want to run cm11. I just want to use Route66 to gain root and not have Knox. My problem is I have the newest firmware installed and there is no Route66 version that matches it. I'm not sure what to use or if it's even possible with this firmware. I saw another thread that I can't find now that said to use cm-autoroot but again I'm unsure as my firmware is not listed

cLogic

Sep 13, 2012
Montreal
No I don't want to run cm11. I just want to use Route66 to gain root and not have Knox. My problem is I have the newest firmware installed and there is no Route66 version that matches it. I'm not sure what to use or if it's even possible with this firmware. I saw another thread that I can't find now that said to use cm-autoroot but again I'm unsure as my firmware is not listed

you have the tmobile t999 with firmware IMM76D.T999UVALEM ?
here's something http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

Shack70

Jan 20, 2014
York
you have the tmobile t999 with firmware IMM76D.T999UVALEM ?
here's something http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

No T-Mobile SGH-T999L with JSS15J.T999LUVUBNF4 . I understand rooting the T999 and The T999L is the same, they just have different modems. I'm just not sure of the safest method. Root66 looks appealing because it removes Knox all together. If Autoroot by chainfire is proven and safe I'll use that. Just need someone to verify what to use for my current unrooted firmware. My phone is out of warranty so that's not an issue either. Thanks for any help.

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Anything in the OP does not have Knox.

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Yes I understand that Knox is removed from route66, will it brick my phone if I just use the newest version for T-Mobile LTE with Odin to flash it or should I wait for a route66 version of what firmware i have or should I just use autoroot?
Go AutoRoot. If it fails use Towle

Apr 10, 2013
EDIT: moving on, doesn't look good. Gonna do this instead: http://galaxys3root.com/galaxy-s3-root/how-to-root-galaxy-s3-on-android-4-34-4-2-new/
someone in another thread said it worked for them and I don't care if I trip the warranty flag
can I just use root66_TMO-L_T999LUVUBNC1.7z to root even though my firmware is stock T999LUVUBNF4? (newer) it is still 4.3

this may have already been answered but i'm not sure if it was made clear that the route66 is older than the stock on the phone

The latest for D2TMO is in OP. Use that with Odin.

Last edited:

saran.selva

Dec 28, 2018
Not able to flash ROM after rooting the device

Hi All,

Need a favour of flashing my S3 SGH T999 to new ROM of 7.1.2; have downloaded the package and used the xda suggested app to root and tried installing, but getting the following error; any help would be of greatly regarded.

Getting the message as ::: E: Signature verification failed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a completely stock ODIN flashable ROM with root injected into the system image.
    This is a fairly easy way to get root WITHOUT tripping the flash counter that will void the warranty. If you don't care about tripping the counter then you can get root other ways.

4.3 Image Notes: With 4.3 images, KNOX is removed in order for root to stick. This will flag the Knox counter. Once you flash one of these 4.3 images you now have the latest factory stock bootloader, radio, etc. Flashing a prior bootloader can hard/soft brick your device. Please read and understand what you are doing.

You can get ODIN here
    and the drivers for the SGH-T999 so ODIN can detect your phone can be found at Samsung's site. Click on the Manuals & Downloads tab at the bottom and then on Software for the latest driver.

First download the stock odin tar that has a rooted system image injected into it:
    Note: Always check the MD5 sums before using any of these! Thanks :)
    MCT: Mobilicity
    GLW: Wind
    VTR: Videotron

T-Mobile Image
    March 2014 - 4.3 JellyBean - New!
    Note: This is based off of the stock image TMO T999UVUENC2
    Do not flash a prior release after flashing this, it has been reported to cause bricks, read the thread for more information.
    Perm Mirror: Download - root66_TMO_T999UVUENC2.7z

November 2013 - 4.3 JellyBean
    Note: This is based off of the stock image TMO T999UVUEMJC
    Do not flash a prior release after flashing this, it has been reported to cause bricks, read the thread for more information.
    Perm Mirror: Download - root66_TMO_T999UVUEMJC_2.7z

April 2013 - 4.1.2 JellyBean
    Note: This is based off of the stock image TMO T999UVDMD5
    Perm Mirror: Download - root66_TMO_T999UVDMD5.7z

January 2013 - 4.1.1 JellyBean
    Note: This is based off of the stock image TMO T999UVDLJC
    Perm Mirror: Download - root66_TMO_T999UVDLJC.7z

Note: This is based off of the stock image TMO T999UVDLJA (October 2012 - 4.1.1 Jelly Bean
    Perm Mirror: Download - root66_TMO_T999UVDLJA.7z

T-Mobile LTE Image
    March 2014 - 4.3 JellyBean - New!
    Note: This is based off of the stock image TMO T999LUVUBNC1
    Download :: Download - root66_TMO-L_T999LUVUBNC1.7z

December 2013 - 4.3 JellyBean
    Note: This is based off of the stock image TMO T999LUVUBMK4
    Download :: Download - root66_TMO-L_T999LUVUBMK4.7z

WIND Image
    Note: This is based off of the stock image GLW T999VVLUEMK5
    Download :: Download - root66_GLW_T999VVLUEMK5.7z

June 2013 - 4.1.2 JellyBean
    Note: This is based off of the stock image GLW T999VVLDMF2
    Perm Mirror: Download - root66_GLW_T999VVLDMF2.7z

December 2012 - 4.1.1 JellyBean
    Note: This is based off of the stock image GLW T999VVLDLL1
    Perm Mirror: Download - root66_GLW_T999VVLDLL1.7z

Mobilicity Image
    Note: This is based off of the stock image MCT T999VVLUEMK5
    Download :: Download - root66_MCT_T999VVLUEMK5.7z

Note: This is based off of the stock image MCT T999VVLDMF2
    Perm Mirror: Download - root66_MCT_T999VVLDMF2.7z

Note: This is based off of the stock image MCT T999VVLDLL1
    Perm Mirror: Download - root66_MCT_T999VVLDLL1.7z

Videotron Image
    Note: This is based off of the stock image VTR T999VVLUEMK5
    Download :: Download - root66_VTR_T999VVLUEMK5.7z

Note: This is based off of the stock image VTR T999VVLDMF2
    Perm Mirror: Download - root66_VTR_T999VVLDMF2.7z

Note: This is based off of the stock image VTR T999VVLDLL1
    Perm Mirror: Download - root66_VTR_T999VVLDLL1.7z

Second,
    Extract the root66 tar file from the .7z file you downloaded.
    Put phone into download mode [ with phone off, hold vol. down + home + power ], connect to computer and open Odin.
    once in odin click the PDA field and select the root66 tar you downloaded.
    Leave Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checked.
    click start and
    when done let phone reboot.
    If you have issues flashing with Odin please ensure you are using the microusb cable that came with the phone, users have had issues using other cables.
    If you just want a stock, rooted phone with no custom recovery, no plans to flash custom roms, etc. then you can stop HERE.

If you are coming from a different rom base (non-stock) you will want to factory wipe/reset in recovery after flashing this.

OTA Updates:
    Stock Recovery: Once rooted with above method, if you receive a notification for an OTA update, it has been verified you can use OTA RootKeeper to retain root through the update process.

Non-Stock Recovery: If you have loaded a non-stock recovery (per below) you can simply use it to flash the OTA update flashable zip I've created. This is the stock OTA just modified to be flashable in CWM and TWRP and not lose root in the process. As such it still does all the checks so if you have deviated from the rooted stock image above by modifying system files this will fail.
    Download: OTA Update UVALJ4 to UVDLJA
    Download: OTA Update UVDLJA to UVDLJC

Third, (optional)
    Note: On Jelly Bean releases it is possible and I'd say probable based on my experience with the Note II that loading a non-stock recovery will trip the counter no matter how you install it.
    If you want to get clockworkmod recovery loaded so you can flash whatever you want, nandroid, etc then continue on....
    Once rebooted you can essentially follow this thread to load the clockworkmod recovery. As long as you flash the recovery using the dd method with adb (or use terminal emulator from the play store) then you will NOT trip the flash counter. If you use ODIN to flash a custom recovery you will trip the counter.

Third, alternate if unfamiliar with adb commands and uncomfortable using any command line
    Decide if you want to use TWRP or CWM.
    If you would like to install ClockworkMod recovery then grab Rom Manager from the Play store and in the menu select to install ClockworkMod Recovery.
    If you would like to install TeamWin Recovery Project then grab GooManager from the Play store and select the option to "Install OpenRecovery Script".

De-Bloater
    If you've made it this far with a stock, rooted phone with cwm and you don't want to flash a custom rom (which will do its own de-bloating) you can check out my Aroma installer based De-bloater to easily get rid of bloat system apps you no longer want to see. Simply flash in CWM like anything else and you will be presented with a menu system to choose what to remove. If you are unsure it is safe to pick Recommended and still get a decent de-bloat.​

[Note: Flashing this with ODIN will not wipe /sdcard or /data. Keep that in mind depending on your usage.]

Bonus Downloads
    Odin Flashable Stock TMO UVDMD5 Recovery - This is an Odin Flashable STOCK Recovery for TMO from UVDMD5 release - TMO_recovery_T999UVDMD5.tar.md5
    Odin Flashable TWRP Recovery - openrecovery-twrp-2.3.1.0-d2tmo.tar.md5

Thanks
    To get the injected root system image I followed pieces of
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27801304&postcount=1
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22798858&postcount=32

so thanks to those guys. Neither of those worked out of the box needed a bit of tweaking.
    I disabled my phone's ability to OTA update, so I'll wait for the next rev of this awesome fix.

OP Updated with the root66_TMO_T999UVDLJA.7z

this injects latest SuperSU 0.98 and su binary.
    Hopefully Mr. Robinson will give us the root66 file. Thanks in advance!

OP Updated with :: root66_TMO_T999UVDMD5.7z
    Well, as much as I appreciate all the hard work from the devs on this site, I'm not flashing this until the OP can answer why there is such a big size difference. I'm definitely careful with what I flash. Anyone on Wind Mobile should know that Wind's phones, unlike the bigger service providers, come with no bloat. It's a little discomforting that the OP hasn't answered back yet. So until then, I'll patiently wait. 500MB is a really big difference in size.

There is more detailed info in my root thread for att. So peruse there in your free time. The gist of it is that Samsung uses a compressed image. The tool used to recompress the image once it was converted to an ext4 I could mount would never flash correctly in Odin. Hence I left it uncompressed. They are both tar. A tar doesn't compress. This adds 2 files to the stock image. An su binary and superuser.apk.

To whoever said spyware or phishing stuff etc you have to be kidding. It doesn't take a genius to look at running process and system apps on android. You are rooted. You can dump a log cat and look at damn near everything. I've made a rooted stock image for att, tmo, sprint, rogers, bell, wind, Verizon, etc. They all add the same 2 files. Either I'm the biggest genius on this site to inject spyware into a ROM across 4 different carrier forums that no one is able to detect or I have a gs3, wanted to root the stock image and decided to share it. I'll let you be the detective to figure that one out.
    MrRobinson, i used this method to root long back and still rocking UVALEM firmware which is the original version. Are you planning to update the thread when Jellybean OTA is out? Do you think that can be Odin flashed directly on top of T999UVALEM without losing apps and settings?

Sent from my SGH-T999

I'll keep this updated when the full stock roms are released through official channels. I won't update it based from leaks or from OTA's. Though usually once the OTA is out it typically isn't too long before the full stock of it hit's Kies. I only do this to ensure the image integrity. I think of this root method as the way to use if you messed up your phone and it will no longer boot. You can drop to download mode and flash this and ensure you are on stock yet with root so you can easily move from this point forward.