[ TOOL ][ WINDOWS ][ BETA ] OOne ROM Editor

Search This thread

shinobisoft

Recognized Contributor
Feb 18, 2012
Knoxville, TN
[SIZE=+1]I suggest reading the entire OP thoroughly from start to finish. I've put a lot of effort and time in to producing this utility and this OP in an attempt to make using OOne ROM Editor as simple as possible and to achieve the best results with OOne ROM Editor.[/SIZE]

Introduction

Because the system partition on these particular devices is only 190 MB, this tool was written to assist with removing unwanted applications, ringtones, and fonts from ICS and JB roms so as to shrink the overall size of the system partition prior to flashing.

A typical installation of any Android 4.0 and newer ROM will only leave a few KB of space remaining on the system partition. This is the reason why the ROMs need to be trimmed.

This tool will only edit ICS and JB ROMs for LG Optimus One family devices. Please refer to the help documentation for complete details and supported devices.

Updated 01/08/2013
New GUI but it is pretty self-explanatory. Various build actions can be accessed by right clicking in the list-view.
Features

• Remove system apps or even convert them to user apps
  • LatinIME Keyboard Editor - Create a mini LatinIME.apk from the language dictionaries you choose. JB ROMs only.
  • User Apps Manager - Manage system apps converted to user apps as well as including apps from your local file system ( hard drive )
  • Recycle Bin - Restore files accidentally removed from the current build
  • Remove 'assert' statement from the updater-script. This is for those who are using a recovery that will only allow flashing P500 ROMs. Like CWM 5.0.2.7 Touch
Installation

Just download and unzip to a folder of your choosing and run OOneROMEditor.exe. This tool has no external dependencies.
Some things to keep in mind while using OOne ROM Editor

• You cannot add system apps to the build ROM. Sorry, that defeats the purpose of this utility.
  • The major size difference between OOne's ROMs and the source ROMs is OOne does NOT include the "Extras" folder from the source ROM in it's build.
  • After using the keyboard editor it will place the LatinIME.apk in the apps "Recycle Bin". This is not an error but done on purpose. I use this list, the "Recycle Bin" contents that is, to skip over files in the source ROM that I don't want included in the build. The mini LatinIME.apk will appear in the correct folder, user data or system, in the output ROM.
Steps to obtain the best results from OOne ROM Editor

After choosing the ROM you wish to edit
  • Select "System Apps" in the treeview control on the left side of the GUI. Remove/delete/move any unwanted apk's at this time. DO NOT delete or remove LatinIME.apk.
  • Go to the Tools menu and select "LatinIME Keyboard Editor". Choose whatever dictionaries to include in the mini LatinIME and press the 'Apply' button to save the choices. From here, the keyboard editor will remove LatinIME.apk from the "System Apps" list.
  • Remove any unwanted fonts and ringtones. I usually don't bother.
  • Add any additional user apps. Select "User Apps" in the treeview on the left side of the GUI then right click in listview control on the right side of the GUI. A popup menu will appear and then choose/select the "Add" command item. A file dialog will appear and you can add as many additional files that you'd like to the user data partition. Note :: The more apps that you add, the longer it will take for the device to boot the first time.
  • Press F12 or go to the Tools menu and then select the "Build->Build Options" menu item. Set any options and press the "Apply" button.
  • Now build the trimmed ROM. Press F9 or go to the Tools menu and then select "Build->Build ROM" menu item.
Thanks

I want to personally thank ibub for beta testing OOne ROM Editor. You've been a great help ;)
Downloads

Primary
Current version => 0.0.1.2

Mirror
Help Docs => Download
Unzip help docs zip into the docs folder where your copy of OOne ROM Editor resides.​
Note: The help docs 'Changelog' reflects changes/updates for the next update of OOne ROM Editor.

ChangeLog

Code:
 [ 0.0.1.2 ]
  - Still in BETA
  - Complete rewrite of the apps code.
    Ported code from 'C' to 'C++' and built with Visual C++ 2010 Express.
  - Help documentation temporarily removed.
  - Completely new Explorer styled User Interface ( UI ).
  - Build output is now built as a single archive.
  - Removed "Large Icon" view from the ListView's "View" menu
  - Added support for displaying "Tiles" in the ListView's view
  - Modified LatinIME.apk can be specified to be installed as a user app
  - Removed Include OldBB_Patch option.
  - Removed all application settings. App now remembers it's last size, state, and position.
    The apps previous state is restored with each run.
  - Added support for JB 4.2 ROMs.
Happy editing...

Last edited:

slipkn0t

Jul 7, 2011
Dubai
Windows 8

I'm going to get Windows 8 tonight. Any idea if it'll work or should I be the first lab rat? :p

lovegambler

Jan 27, 2012
New Delhi
This tool was designed to assist with removing unwanted applications, ringtones, and fonts from our CM10 roms so as to shrink the overall size of the system partition prior to flashing a CM10 rom. This tool will only edit CM10 ROMs for LG Optimus One family devices. Meaning, if the chosen base rom is not a CM10 rom or it's not build for LG-P500, LG-P500h, LG-P505, LG-P506, or LG-P509 devices, then it won't allow you to edit the rom. This was done intentionally, since it seems that our devices are the ones with the small system partition.

I do have future plans for a universal ROM editor however. Also, you can find a slightly better description of the workings of this tool and want not in the 'docs' folder.

Know Issues

This tool has been developed and tested on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. It is a 32 bit tool however. I have a beta tester who tried to run this on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and well, it crashed. So, currently this tool will NOT run on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I'm looking into this issue.

Features

Remove system apps or convert them to user apps
LatinIME Keyboard Editor - Create a mini LatinIME.apk from the language dictionaries you choose
User Apps Manager - Manage system apps converted to user apps as well as including apps from your local filesystem
Recycle Bin - Restore files accidentally removed from the current build
More to come...

Installation

Just download and unzip to a folder of your choosing and run LG-P50X_CM10_ROM_Editor.exe. This tool has no external dependencies.

Downloads

Current version => 0.0.1.0

Thanks alot buddy, needed these kind of software really badly..
want to use PA 2.2 but was having issue with the System storage, I guess it'll help alot
Thanks so much for this helpful thread.. :)

shinobisoft

Recognized Contributor
Feb 18, 2012
Knoxville, TN
its running on my 64bit

u should run it as administrator

That's the thing. I had someone test it on a Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit machine and it wouldn't go past the building of the filelists after choosing a rom. He tried running it as an Administrator and also with UAC turned off and on. Weird.

Thanks for your input ;)

shinobisoft

Recognized Contributor
Feb 18, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Ok. I see there's been about 100 downloads of this so far. I realize that in most cases no news is good news, however that makes it difficult to improve the software without any feedback. So... if there are any issues or suggestions for this tool, please let me know.

And, I have a few more abilities in the works...

anuragchowdry

Oct 17, 2011
Chennai
Thanks for the excellent tool,Great idea.
Just one suggestion,while selecting the file to be deleted from media folder only single item can be selected, kindly enable multi select.

andrea210701

Aug 1, 2012
It work with paranoid?

Team A.W.M.P. on Tapatalk
a9y2emy5.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+1]I suggest reading the entire OP thoroughly from start to finish. I've put a lot of effort and time in to producing this utility and this OP in an attempt to make using OOne ROM Editor as simple as possible and to achieve the best results with OOne ROM Editor.[/SIZE]

Introduction

Because the system partition on these particular devices is only 190 MB, this tool was written to assist with removing unwanted applications, ringtones, and fonts from ICS and JB roms so as to shrink the overall size of the system partition prior to flashing.

A typical installation of any Android 4.0 and newer ROM will only leave a few KB of space remaining on the system partition. This is the reason why the ROMs need to be trimmed.

This tool will only edit ICS and JB ROMs for LG Optimus One family devices. Please refer to the help documentation for complete details and supported devices.

Updated 01/08/2013
    New GUI but it is pretty self-explanatory. Various build actions can be accessed by right clicking in the list-view.
    Features

• Remove system apps or even convert them to user apps
    • LatinIME Keyboard Editor - Create a mini LatinIME.apk from the language dictionaries you choose. JB ROMs only.
    • User Apps Manager - Manage system apps converted to user apps as well as including apps from your local file system ( hard drive )
    • Recycle Bin - Restore files accidentally removed from the current build
    • Remove 'assert' statement from the updater-script. This is for those who are using a recovery that will only allow flashing P500 ROMs. Like CWM 5.0.2.7 Touch
    Installation

Just download and unzip to a folder of your choosing and run OOneROMEditor.exe. This tool has no external dependencies.
    Some things to keep in mind while using OOne ROM Editor

• You cannot add system apps to the build ROM. Sorry, that defeats the purpose of this utility.
    • The major size difference between OOne's ROMs and the source ROMs is OOne does NOT include the "Extras" folder from the source ROM in it's build.
    • After using the keyboard editor it will place the LatinIME.apk in the apps "Recycle Bin". This is not an error but done on purpose. I use this list, the "Recycle Bin" contents that is, to skip over files in the source ROM that I don't want included in the build. The mini LatinIME.apk will appear in the correct folder, user data or system, in the output ROM.
    Steps to obtain the best results from OOne ROM Editor

After choosing the ROM you wish to edit
    • Select "System Apps" in the treeview control on the left side of the GUI. Remove/delete/move any unwanted apk's at this time. DO NOT delete or remove LatinIME.apk.
    • Go to the Tools menu and select "LatinIME Keyboard Editor". Choose whatever dictionaries to include in the mini LatinIME and press the 'Apply' button to save the choices. From here, the keyboard editor will remove LatinIME.apk from the "System Apps" list.
    • Remove any unwanted fonts and ringtones. I usually don't bother.
    • Add any additional user apps. Select "User Apps" in the treeview on the left side of the GUI then right click in listview control on the right side of the GUI. A popup menu will appear and then choose/select the "Add" command item. A file dialog will appear and you can add as many additional files that you'd like to the user data partition. Note :: The more apps that you add, the longer it will take for the device to boot the first time.
    • Press F12 or go to the Tools menu and then select the "Build->Build Options" menu item. Set any options and press the "Apply" button.
    • Now build the trimmed ROM. Press F9 or go to the Tools menu and then select "Build->Build ROM" menu item.
    Thanks

I want to personally thank ibub for beta testing OOne ROM Editor. You've been a great help ;)
    Downloads

Primary

Mirror
    Help Docs => Download
    Unzip help docs zip into the docs folder where your copy of OOne ROM Editor resides.​
    Note: The help docs 'Changelog' reflects changes/updates for the next update of OOne ROM Editor.

ChangeLog

Code:
     [ 0.0.1.2 ]
      - Still in BETA
      - Complete rewrite of the apps code.
        Ported code from 'C' to 'C++' and built with Visual C++ 2010 Express.
      - Help documentation temporarily removed.
      - Completely new Explorer styled User Interface ( UI ).
      - Build output is now built as a single archive.
      - Removed "Large Icon" view from the ListView's "View" menu
      - Added support for displaying "Tiles" in the ListView's view
      - Modified LatinIME.apk can be specified to be installed as a user app
      - Removed Include OldBB_Patch option.
      - Removed all application settings. App now remembers it's last size, state, and position.
        The apps previous state is restored with each run.
      - Added support for JB 4.2 ROMs.
    Happy editing...
    News

Hey everyone. Just wanted to share with everyone that this project isn't dead. In fact, it's about to be reborn again. With that said...

All of my PC tools for Android are soon to be rewritten, completely. I've decided to start programming in Python, mainly for it's easy syntax and the fact that it's cross-platform. So I can write tools, utilities, and apps for Windows, Linux, and Mac. With Python I can develop much much faster that I ever could using C or C++.

Now with me changing to Python for most of the programming logic and wxPython for the GUI you all will need them installed on your systems as well. That's no big issue for Linux users as Python comes installed by default. I am working on creating a slim Python and wxPython installation however ;)

The next version of this tool is going to take things a step further, as in completely universal. My intent is to make a universal ROM editor. I will probably retain the limitation to editing/viewing ICS and newer ROMs tho. ;) I will add the abilities to do almost anything you'd want or need to do to a ROM. Build.prop editor, merge .zip packages with the ROM, LatinIME Keyboard Editor, etc...

Stay tuned...
    I have decided on an Explorer style UI this time. I have the UI fully implemented, including a splitter function in between the TreeView and the ListView. Now on to adding the actual functionality of the program. I'm going to try a different zip library with this version as I am now having suspicions that my previous zip library was/is the culprit for the previous app crashes.

I've had to write a bunch of classes so that I can write this app in a fashion that I'm comfortable with. This is actually a mix of C and C++. Once I get this to a point where I can release it, I will also start a project for it over a SourceForge and I will release my source code, classes included, there. Hopefully there are a few other C++ programmers here that will be willing to join the project to give me a hand when I reach that stage.
    Well... OOne ROM Editor has been reborn :D . Completely rewritten and ported from C to C++ :eek:. Everything is working as it should :p . Many of the same features as before and some redundant ones have been removed. I'm still running a couple of tests but if everything works like it has been working I'll be releasing the latest build later tonight or early tomorrow evening when I get in from work.

Yall keep them fingers crossed :)
    Bill, what obstacles do you have to making this work for all phones? Other than testing and, you know, that pesky "job" thing.

None really. It's actually simply a matter of deleting or commenting out a small portion of the code that verifies that the selected zip is actually a ROM instead of just an ordinary zip file and then rebuilding the code. Building takes less than a minute ;) :D

I'm personally not prepared to take this project to that level at the moment. But I do have plans to do that in the near future. I'd really like to work the bugs out and get to a concrete GUI and implement as many functions/features possible, etc...