Can I take OTA update and keep root?

Search This thread

scottfarcuz

Feb 21, 2011
I am running stock 4.1.2 rooted and froze SDM 1.0 with titanium backup to avoid the constant update reminders.

I am now curious can I accept the updates and keep root somehow?

Is something like OTA root keeper worthwhile?

dpeeps74

Oct 28, 2009
Austin
You can still root but cannot unlock the bootloader. I'd recommend reading the 4.3 sticky thread before taking the ota even if you want to stay stock.

Sent from my d2lte using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: scottfarcuz

scottfarcuz

Feb 21, 2011
You can still root but cannot unlock the bootloader. I'd recommend reading the 4.3 sticky thread before taking the ota even if you want to stay stock.

Are you saying that because of the 4.3 issues?

I would rather not mess with the phone but I just got a gear 2 neo and it will not connect. I think this is because of the older android version. The specs on the gear software say it requires 4.2 or higher

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013

I would rather not mess with the phone but I just got a gear 2 neo and it will not connect. I think this is because of the older android version. The specs on the gear software say it requires 4.2 or higher

Ya you need 4.3.

So you have options, since you're have a galaxy gear you're probably going to be running stock TouchWiz, so I would just take the upgrade.

You can root later, but the gear would never work with aosp anyway. Safestrap can make your phone run pretty well with a TouchWiz custom rom if you eventually decide you want one.

Or you can load a custom TouchWiz 4.3 rom right now and see if it connects, then you wouldn't lock your phone down permanently.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
Id like to go with a custom rom but don't have a clue what I'm doing.

Thanks for the help

OK then read the sticky threads in the development section, everything there has guides available for rooting and installing roms, then ask more questions if you have them.

Make sure you're reading the older sticky thread, not the 4.3 one.

scottfarcuz

Feb 21, 2011
I've been unable to even get the OTA to work. It downloads then fails on install.

I have reset the flash counter but thought that was all that would be required to repair/delete before running the OTA update.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Just to clarify the phone is currently rooted (casual method) on 4.1.2. I never touched the rom or bootloader after rooting i just installed titanium backup and froze all the bloat. Id like to get the OTA even if i lose root.

I reset the flash counter with triangle away and did a batch unfreeze with titanium backup.The OTA downloads then fails on install.

Last edited:

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
I've been unable to even get the OTA to work. It downloads then fails on install.

I have reset the flash counter but thought that was all that would be required to repair/delete before running the OTA update.

Just to clarify the phone is currently rooted (casual method) on 4.1.2. I never touched the rom or bootloader after rooting i just installed titanium backup and froze all the bloat. Id like to get the OTA even if i lose root.

I reset the flash counter with triangle away and did a batch unfreeze with titanium backup.The OTA downloads then fails on install.

Use this thread to Odin flash 4.3. It's the exact same as taking the Ota.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2586319

I'm sure you already know what taking the update entails, just be absolutely sure it's what you want to do before you flash it. There's no going back.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Ya you need 4.3.

So you have options, since you're have a galaxy gear you're probably going to be running stock TouchWiz, so I would just take the upgrade.

You can root later, but the gear would never work with aosp anyway. Safestrap can make your phone run pretty well with a TouchWiz custom rom if you eventually decide you want one.

Or you can load a custom TouchWiz 4.3 rom right now and see if it connects, then you wouldn't lock your phone down permanently.

Id like to go with a custom rom but don't have a clue what I'm doing.

Thanks for the help

OK then read the sticky threads in the development section, everything there has guides available for rooting and installing roms, then ask more questions if you have them.

Make sure you're reading the older sticky thread, not the 4.3 one.

You would probably need to unfreeze everything for the update to work, at least thats what I have heard.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Use this thread to Odin flash 4.3. It's the exact same as taking the Ota.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2586319

I'm sure you already know what taking the update entails, just be absolutely sure it's what you want to do before you flash it. There's no going back.