[Q] Can't root or unroot?? Ota firmware update didn't set root but no root privileges

Search This thread

apv507

Jun 20, 2012
Charleston, SC
I recently upgraded my phone from a SGS2 i777 to the SGS4 i337. Of course after years of custom ROMs and kernels on the S2 I wanted to do the same on the S4. I attempted to perform the hack associated with the Loki exploit while running stock Mk2. After trying several methods and receiving the failure to root message I gave up and decided stock wasn't that bad and I could make do. I noticed that even after these attempts failed either Super User or Super sure would be installed. Sadly the super su binary needed to be updated but it never actually updated. I also noticed that I was getting the custom boot screen but no real root. Anyway I looked around the Web and xda for a solution, either a way to gain full root or to reset back to full stock. I was interested in trying some of samsung's apps as well as At&t's Isis wallet so I decided to try to unroot and "play by the rules" for a little while before I started using custom roms. I read in several places that a firmware update removes root (as well as patches the exploit) but I decided it was the easiest way to "unroot" because I didn't have any root privileges which of course were needed to unroot if I used any guide online. After an ota update from 4.2.2 MK2 firmware to 4.4 NB1 is still have the custom boot screen and Is is still things my phone is rooted and therefore will not run. Some how I have enough root to trip the custom screen and stop Isis but not enough root to unroot. Does anyone have a solution to bring my phone back to full stock without root in such a way that I don't lose or can reinstall samsung's app and a few if At&t's ? All relatively safe suggestions welcome. Thanks for taking the time to read and any help.

jtchinoy

Mar 24, 2013
Since youre on nb1 now, download a copy of the stock nb1 rom and download odin v3.09. right click on odin and run as administrator. Boot your phone into download mode by turning it on holding volume down, power, and the home buttkn. Plug your phone in and odin should say <added!>. Load the stock rom on the pda slot then hit start. Your phone should reset as a 100% stock phone with the custom splash gone.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app