A Friendly Reminder From The Mods Regarding Newcomers and Threads in OT

3,885 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,099

By crachel, Retired Senior Moderator on 31st May 2013, 11:28 PM
Thread Closed Email Thread
13th June 2013, 11:12 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 3,794

More
This has to be the most serious thread in the OT forums hopefully people read this and not just scroll through...as most of them do :/
13th June 2013, 11:18 AM |#22  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,377

Donate to Me
More
All of the points raised here are fair and I agree with most of them. Due to recent events, I've written a post regarding the situation here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=42527183 . Take a look if you'd like
13th June 2013, 11:46 AM |#23  
Flag Error 404- Not found
Thanks Meter: 1,738

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter93

All of the points raised here are fair and I agree with most of them. Due to recent events, I've written a post regarding the situation here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=42527183 . Take a look if you'd like

One line in that post really stands out.

"If they don't give the trolls a reason to troll, they won't"

I will say this, most people who come here and then get offended invite trouble by making useless threads. I am not saying that newcomers shouldn't come to OT or anything. I am saying that newcomers should have a read through and look for threads without just blatantly making another stupid thread(this place is full of stupid threads now anyway, bar few). If they go on and make stupid threads like that, then they kinda deserve the pony/spiderman memes they get.

I have seen people come to OT and then create 4-5 threads, all random and useless. These people deserve it for their carelessness/stupidity tbh

Just my 2 cents..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
13th June 2013, 11:48 AM |#24  
Flag Whatcha looking at?
Thanks Meter: 3,042

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawesome

One line in that post really stands out.

"If they don't give the trolls a reason to troll, they won't"

I will say this, most people who come here and then get offended invite trouble by making useless threads. I am not saying that newcomers shouldn't come to OT or anything. I am saying that newcomers should have a read through and look for threads without just blatantly making another stupid thread(this place is full of stupid threads now anyway, bar few). If they go on and make stupid threads like that, then they kinda deserve the pony/spiderman memes they get.

I have seen people come to OT and then create 4-5 threads, all random and useless. These people deserve it for their carelessness/stupidity tbh

Just my 2 cents..

+1

I agree

some are just too lazy or just dont get it
13th June 2013, 12:05 PM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 3,756

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter93

All very well said and i couldn't agree with you more. I'd really like to say more but i feel it would be a waste of time.
13th June 2013, 12:23 PM |#26  
Thanks Meter: 1,289

More
Wow.. I didn't know saying "GTFO n00b" was against the damn rules themselves. So now I can get infracted for that? Simply... :applause:
13th June 2013, 02:00 PM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 3,794

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.A.

Wow.. I didn't know saying "GTFO n00b" was against the damn rules themselves. So now I can get infracted for that? Simply... :applause:

Well, I don't think it's against the rules but I mean, it's basically common courtesy and EQ as older and more experienced members (yes, two things which are so rare they're considered a super power here in the OT ). I mean, why prove you're just as immature as the noobs who open new useless threads ? I mean, what does "GTFO n00b" really do ? Does it ban them ? Nope. Does it knock some sense into their thick skulls ? Obviously not. Does it prevent future, similar threads from popping up ? You can bet your socks they don't . All it does is it rustles their jimmies and all of a sudden some noob vs troll war erupts and all that comes out of it is a few infractions, a possible ban, erased posts and a locked thread.

I myself like trolling a good thread but to be honest I refrain most of the time because I find it's utterly pointless. Sure, people will see how funny you are, but let's take some time to think about the mods and the crap we're putting them through . Plus, just think of all that bandwidth wasted with all those pointless arguments
13th June 2013, 02:18 PM |#28  
Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Moderator / (Un)recognised Pole Dancer
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 4,241

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawesome

I am saying that newcomers should have a read through and look for threads without just blatantly making another stupid thread(this place is full of stupid threads now anyway, bar few). If they go on and make stupid threads like that, then they kinda deserve the pony/spiderman memes they get.

Yes, newcomers that don't look for threads and start duplicate ones are annoying, but two wrongs do not make a right. In this case it is not acceptable to start posting crap just to look funny. They don't "deserve" that response. The worst response they should get is a mature forum member thinking "this again?" and clicking the report button.
13th June 2013, 02:38 PM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 395

More
This thread shows how mainstream XDA has become...
Even Off Topic is now PG-13.
I for one am of the opinion that new members have no place on OT until they've actually fulfilled the purpose of being an XDA member... Which is participating in a phone/development related discussion.
Please make OT a walled garden like your RC forums. You'll see a lot of improvement in post quality once this is implemented.

Oh, and by the way, INB4 the inevitable lock.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 4 Beta
13th June 2013, 02:57 PM |#30  
a city in a galaxy far far away
Thanks Meter: 872

More
nothing against new members, but i have to agree with @Sleepy!. i understand it's not against the rules and that this is a public forum, but wouldn't letting members with less than ten posts post all they want in ot defeat the purpose of letting them get acquainted with xda as a developer's website? just a thought.

also, i have to agree with the trolling in ot getting out of hand sometimes.

Just because i don't doesn't mean i can't.
13th June 2013, 03:18 PM |#31  
Flag Error 404- Not found
Thanks Meter: 1,738

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascabel

nothing against new members, but i have to agree with @Sleepy!. i understand it's not against the rules and that this is a public forum, but wouldn't letting members with less than ten posts post all they want in ot defeat the purpose of letting them get acquainted with xda as a developer's website? just a thought.

also, i have to agree with the trolling in ot getting out of hand sometimes.

Just because i don't doesn't mean i can't.

"Xda rather have 10 posters spam in OT than in the development forums"
This is a trash can mate

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread