[TIP] Create Android Studio launcher in Ubuntu Unity

Search This thread

mihahn

May 26, 2012
Hey guys,

I just wanted to share a little tip with all of you, who want to add a little launcher icon to your unity launcher. It's very fast and works perfectly for me. Just try it ;)

attachment.php

1. Open any editor you like (I use SciTE)

2. Copy this text into your editor

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Android Studio
Comment=Android Studio
Type=Application
Categories=Development;
Exec=/home/{yourusername}/path/to/android-studio/bin/studio.sh
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=true
Icon=/home/{yourusername}/path/to/android-studio/icon.png

Don't forget to change {yourusername} to your acutal user name and path/to/android-studio to the path of the android studio on your pc ;)

3. Save it to .local/share/applications/ (to show .local press CTRL+h) named "androidstudio.desktop"

4. Download this icon and paste it in android-studio/ (you may of course use any other icon you like too!)

5. Open your file explorer and press CTRL+h to show hidden files. Navigate to .local/share/applications/ and take the androidstudio.desktop and drop it in your unity launcher.

6. Click on the icon and start Android Studio

attachment.php

I hope this is useful for you :)

Attachments

• screenshot1.jpg
    screenshot1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 10,620
  • icon.png
    icon.png
    138.2 KB · Views: 10,777
Last edited:

eBoody

Dec 24, 2012
Los Angeles
Alternately, at the beginning screen where it says "new project, import project, configuration...." you could go to configuration/settings (whatever its called) and select "create launcher" i think its much faster than having to make desktop files and blah blah blah

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

I just wanted to share a little tip with all of you, who want to add a little launcher icon to your unity launcher. It's very fast and works perfectly for me. Just try it ;)

attachment.php

1. Open any editor you like (I use SciTE)

2. Copy this text into your editor

Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=Android Studio
    Comment=Android Studio
    Type=Application
    Categories=Development;
    Exec=/home/{yourusername}/path/to/android-studio/bin/studio.sh
    Terminal=false
    StartupNotify=true
    Icon=/home/{yourusername}/path/to/android-studio/icon.png

Don't forget to change {yourusername} to your acutal user name and path/to/android-studio to the path of the android studio on your pc ;)

3. Save it to .local/share/applications/ (to show .local press CTRL+h) named "androidstudio.desktop"

4. Download this icon and paste it in android-studio/ (you may of course use any other icon you like too!)

5. Open your file explorer and press CTRL+h to show hidden files. Navigate to .local/share/applications/ and take the androidstudio.desktop and drop it in your unity launcher.

6. Click on the icon and start Android Studio

attachment.php

I hope this is useful for you :)