[CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

FTL_Ian

Jul 7, 2010
Has anyone gotten this to work for G920VVRS4DQD1, Nougat 7.0 on Galaxy S6 SM-G920V?

As I understand it, this phone is impossible to root, so I was surprised to see this available for it.

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Probably a bug in the handling. Two of those have been fixed in the development version since last release. New release should be out soon, try again then. Or attach the file here, maybe I can take a look.
Do you mean the latest release of SuperSU?
I'll post up the files for comparison. There seems to be many additional entries.

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Do you mean the latest release of SuperSU?
I'll post up the files for comparison. There seems to be many additional entries.

Yes. There were two bugs that could create absolutely massive files.

It does add a great many rules though. Individual SELinux domains can be set to permissive in the policy, but some firmwares (including Samsung) have disabled this functionality. To work around this supolicy attempts to simply give each and every domain all the permissions. This can increase the number of rules by a factor.

The CFAR creation script uses this exact command:

Code:
supolicy --file infile outfile "permissive { init init_shell shell recovery adbd }"

Which performs this magic only for the init, init_shell, shell, recovery, and adbd domains

Reactions: Doc Franky B.

Tarasantan

Jul 15, 2016
I have a phone LYF F1 (LS 5505) ,this device is powered by qualcomm 615 1.52 GHz processor and runs with android marshmallow 6.0.1.I think this device is made in such a way that this device will never be rooted,no one will be able to extract the stock rom,since qpst tools can not switch the device to download mode (the state column of the phone is always being uncomplete in qpst configuration tool),and even if we get any custom recovery for this device,we will not be able to flash it since this device does not respond to any of the fastboot commands (FAILED (remote: unknown command)).I am very very tired now in trying to root this phone.

Noflexing

Dec 25, 2014
there is a chainfireauto file for the galaxy note 5 from verizon the sm-n920V model. The boat loader is locked tho? Will the root be a success even tho chainfire has the file? I noticed chainfire also had the file for the galaxy s8 already for the us model sm-950U

force70

there is a chainfireauto file for the galaxy note 5 from verizon the sm-n920V model. The boat loader is locked tho? Will the root be a success even tho chainfire has the file? I noticed chainfire also had the file for the galaxy s8 already for the us model sm-950U

And?

They are automatically generated builds...old news

Sent from my S8 plus, Note 7, S7 Edge or S6

Reactions: pirula6567

Noflexing

Dec 25, 2014
And?

I'm sure it had to have occurred to you that I don't know it was an auto generated build. I asked a question not knowing if my root will be a success. You didn't answer anything and was just plain rude. Shocking that you have around 9500 post and act this way. Should be more helpful.

S

sawdoctor

And?

I'm sure it had to have occurred to you that I don't know it was an auto generated build. I asked a question not knowing if my root will be a success. You didn't answer anything and was just plain rude. Shocking that you have around 9500 post and act this way. Should be more helpful.

Come on guys lets play nice before this gets out of hand. Everyone of us was a noob once so we all got to learn at some stage

Regards

Sawdoctor

Noflexing

Dec 25, 2014
And?

Come on guys lets play nice before this gets out of hand. Everyone of us was a noob once so we all got to learn at some stage

Regards

Sawdoctor

This is exactly my point that everyone was a noob at one point and has to learn. I don't get why a person with 9500 post that's been around this site for a long time had to answer that way without being helpful.

force70

Regards

Sawdoctor

Just so your aware, it already got out of hand.

Another mod has already deleted his original post for profanity and name callingdirected towards me and yet he still continues whining and crying in a development thread.

I did not swear at anyone nor broken any rules.

I am playing nice :D

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Yes and I expect people who dont know to search and read to educate themselves....like i did when i was new and still do.

I have never expected to be spoofed answers as seems common these days sadly.

To answer your question if it was not addressed no root will not work on those devices due to the locked boot loader. In the past there has been work around for some locked devices even the locked s7s and note 7 laat year got root via engineering firmware . But the manufacturers are making it harder and harder for us to even root let alone have twrp or roms available.

As for the S8...the exynos versions are not locked and development is in full swing!

I dont think the verizon note 5 ever got a work around...i could be wrong there but verizon and AT&T are notorious for being locked down...now Mobile and even the Canadian carriers are following that trend

Noflexing

Dec 25, 2014
Just so your aware, it already got out of hand.

Another mod has already deleted his original post for profanity and name callingdirected towards me and yet he still continues whining and crying in a development thread.

I did not swear at anyone nor broken any rules.

I am playing nice :D

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Yes and I expect people who dont know to search and read to educate themselves....like i did when i was new and still do.

I have never expected to be spoofed answers as seems common these days sadly.

To answer your question if it was not addressed no root will not work on those devices due to the locked boot loader. In the past there has been work around for some locked devices even the locked s7s and note 7 laat year got root via engineering firmware . But the manufacturers are making it harder and harder for us to even root let alone have twrp or roms available.

As for the S8...the exynos versions are not locked and development is in full swing!

Thank you for answering the question. I Just wish you had done that first before anything else. I was just confused since I thought if the file for the model number was there on chainfire it meant it could be rooted.

force70

Thank you for answering the question. I Just wish you had done that first before anything else. I was just confused since I thought if the file for the model number was there on chainfire it meant it could be rooted.

Yeah thats been a topic lately...the builds are listed so since they are there in theory should be good to go.

In the OP theres a warning about locked bootloaders not working for this but one would also think if it wouldnt work it wouldnt be listed either so its somewhat odd. And if you dont know your BL is locked thats another issue and maybe some people dont know.

This is why i heavily encourage people to read and research as much as possible before flashing anything.

RuAnShi

Oct 14, 2008
Simferopol
Sorry to post this here, I've read policy to post question in dedicated device thread, but this thread is so old and seems to be dead.

I have experienced minor problem with CF-Auto-Root (CF-Auto-Root-gts28lte-gts28ltexx-smt715) for Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 LTE (SM-T715) on Android 7.0.
The SuperSu is installed and working fine but device after this process lost control of screen brightness (the slider has no reaction and screen always at high light) and USB connectivity (MPT interface does not appear anymore when plugged to PC). I have tested this twice, when original firmware flashed back all work as expected when rooted again, the same problem exist.
Can you please point me where to look to solve this issue manually since root access exist.

osygen

Jun 16, 2015
I was able to root my galaxy tab A sm-p555, but i had to unroot because i couldnt access the internet. Help fix this, please.:crying:

BilboDaddins

Apr 14, 2017
Canadian Note5 (SM-N920W8) Nougat root

Thanks for releasing CF-Auto root for Galaxy note 5 (SM-N920W8) Android 7.0. A great fan of your work.

Donated a dollar :)

Last edited:

Actarus81

Jan 6, 2014
Quick, recap, I own a galaxy S5 Lolipop 5.1.1 SM-G900W8 build #LMY47X.G900W8VLU1COI4, previously rooted.

It all begin, when my phone been experiencing some battery draining issue. So I decide to do factory rest. But get this at that time my phone was fully rooted, w/Lolipop 5.1.1...
So I've read all the informations I could get online made sure to unroot the phone ( using CF-Auto Root ktlevl 82 048 989-sm G900W8.), with Odin, and reflash the phone with custom recory (G900W8VLU1COI4.tar.md5 file). I've made sure to get the exact one matching my phone carrier.

And after rooted the phone...All went well...Then 24-48 hours after the **** hit the fan.!!!!
They weere dialogue box keep poping up, from Touchwiz has closed, to Unified Daemond has closed just to name a few...
I decided to factory rest the phone again, reflash and rooted same problem occuring occuring.
So I decide not to root and the issue stop but now I'm unable to fully use my phone because it anin't root so certain function of my phone can't benefit such like using Airplane mode or Mobile data toggle using tasker. When my phone was fully rooted I was able to take full advantage of my Tasker profile. I've google the web and came acrros people who expericing the same issue as I did, but can't find a solution.

If there anyone who had that problem and manage to solve it, kindly share your story and solution with me....

Thank you in advance on getting back to me,

Last edited:

BilboDaddins

Apr 14, 2017
Use Smart Switch

Quick, recap, I own a galaxy S5 Lolipop 5.1.1 SM-G900W8 build #LMY47X.G900W8VLU1COI4, previously rooted.

It all begin, when my phone been experiencing some battery draining issue. So I decide to do factory rest. But get this at that time my phone was fully rooted, w/Lolipop 5.1.1...
So I've read all the informations I could get online made sure to unroot the phone ( using CF-Auto Root ktlevl 82 048 989-sm G900W8.), with Odin, and reflash the phone with custom recory (G900W8VLU1COI4.tar.md5 file). I've made sure to get the exact one matching my phone carrier.

And after rooted the phone...All went well...Then 24-48 hours after the **** hit the fan.!!!!
They weere dialogue box keep poping up, from Touchwiz has closed, to Unified Daemond has closed just to name a few...
I decided to factory rest the phone again, reflash and rooted same problem occuring occuring.
So I decide not to root and the issue stop but now I'm unable to fully use my phone because it anin't root so certain function of my phone can't benefit such like using Airplane mode or Mobile data toggle using tasker. When my phone was fully rooted I was able to take full advantage of my Tasker profile. I've google the web and came acrros people who expericing the same issue as I did, but can't find a solution.

If there anyone who had that problem and manage to solve it, kindly share your story and solution with me....

Thank you in advance on getting back to me,

Download Samsung Smart Switch and do the following:
1. Select the "more" tab
2. Go to the "emergency recovery and initialization" tab
3. Enter your device model, serial number
4. Follow the on-screen instructions

FYI,
1. If you have a side-by-side configuration error when installing smart switch, download "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 redistributable x86" and install it from the Microsoft website.
2. Using Smart switch removes/restores everything to the latest version. You will lose root, custom recovery, backups, etc.

Good luck. Smart Switch is so simple to use.

The..King

Dec 2, 2016
Hi.
Quick Q relating to the short paragrapgh entitled "Android Version" over on the CF Auto-root homepage. As it describes, this is exactly what happened to me.

I previously had a rooted (via CF Auto-root) SM-G920F running 6.0.1 and everything was good. I tried the new update to Android 7.0 a few days ago - absolutely hated it (like a lot of people). I wanted to roll back to 6.0.1 again but due to what I assume were new Bootloaders, I couldn't rool back. Kept getting a "sw rev check fail device 5 binary 4" everytime I tried to flash the old 6.0.1 Stock.

Anyway, I eventually found a way around it without having to mess with Bootloaders or anything else and I got back to stock 6.0.1 (G920FXXU5DQA7). I then went back to Chainfire homepage and looked for the right CF Auto-root file to flash, but the only one available for SM-G920F is (NRD90M.G920FXXU5EQD7) which is based on Android 7.0. I obviously didn't flash this because I'm not running Nougat, I'm back on MM and the homepage of Chainfire says to "get the right file".

I still had the original CF Auto-root file I used the very first time around (G920FXXU4DHP5) which is based on Android 6.0.1, so I tried that. I seemed to work ok, but in recovery mode - it continually says "DM-Verity verification failed" and from Googling around, it seem to indicate there is a conflict between the stock 6.0.1 I recovered to and the auto-root I used based on Android 6.0.1.

So having given the details outlining the problem, my Q really is -- is there a CF Auto-root available for the SM-G920F, based on Android 6.0.1 stock (MMB29K.G920FXXU5DQA7)??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CF-Auto-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock Samsung firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root. In essence, it does nothing but install and enable SuperSU on your system, so apps can gain root access.

This thread serves as a central discussion and request thread for CF-Auto-Root. If you have questions about a specific CF-Auto-Root binary for a specific device, please go the relevant thread listed on the CF-Auto-Root homepage.

Donate
    CF-Root and CF-Auto-Root have been available for many devices (over 50 different models !) and have clocked over 9 million downloads. This is not even counting custom ROMs that include CF-Root (non-Auto) kernels. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every user had donated me $1...

What's installed
    - SuperSU binary and APK
    - Stock recovery (note that any other recovery you may have installed will be overwritten !)

What's the difference between CF-Auto-Root and CF-Root, and/or other root solutions ?
    CF-Root (non-Auto) are manually built rooted kernels and/or flashables that usually provide more than "just root". CF-Auto-Root is built on an automated system that I am constantly improving that takes a stock recovery image and returns an automated rooting packages. These packages are designed to install and enable SuperSU on your device, so apps can gain root access, and nothing more.

The difference with many other rooting solutions is that those will often install a custom recovery for you (I am personally moving away from custom kernels and recoveries, for various reasons), while with CF-Auto-Root you will end up with a stock recovery again.

Not included - custom recovery
    A custom recovery like CWM or TWRP is not included.

Not included - Triangle Away
    Triangle Away can be used to reset the flash counter after installing CF-Root. The flash counter keeps track of how many custom firmwares you have flashed, as this voids warranty. (No idea what this about ? Read up on it, you will want to use this !)

Not included - adbd Insecure
    As this CF-Root does not include a custom kernel, adb shell does not have root access by default (you can still get it by typing su inside the shell), nor is adb remount supported, nor will adb push and adb pull work on system files. adbd Insecure can be used to remedy this situation. (No idea what this is about ? Don't worry about it !)

CF-Auto-Root homepage
    http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/
    Requirements and requests

The the CF-Auto-Root project currently supports the following base boards:

- Samsung Exynos4
    - Texas Instruments Omap4
    - Qualcomm MSM8660

Other boards will probably be added soon. Currently only Samsung devices are supported, but I'm looking to expand into other devices soon as well.

To be able to make CF-Auto-Root for a device:

- The device needs to have (and use) separate kernel and recovery partitions
    - The kernel and recovery format must be the boot.img standard (no zImage support)
    - I need the recovery.img file, so post it in this thread if you need support for a new device :)
    Devices and threads

The full list of all supported devices is always available and always current at the CF-Auto-Root homepage.

Most supported devices have their own threads here on XDA, you can find the thread for your device in the device listing on the CF-Auto-Root homepage as well.

I will not be maintaining a secondary list in this post, as it would be double work.
    First of all, wasn't sure if it was allowed to post on this thread (it's odd, 4 days old and no post), as I've seen nothing saying I shouldn't, here I go.

Newbie question here:

1) Is it possible to flash CWM Recovery with this root?
    2) I'm willing to flash it, should I then just root using CF-Root(non-auto) as it already comes with CWM?
    3) The version of CWM on CF-Root (non-auto) is already outdated, would it be a problem if I just flashed the new version over it with ODIN (download it from clockworkmod.com/rommanager and flash)?

I ask this because I want to keep my phone as stock as possible, but want to be able to perform a Nandroid backup and flash some ZIPs (if there's a way to perferm/restore Nandroid backups and flash ZIPs w/o CWM please tell me how :) )

This thread is pretty much quiet because most of the supported devices have their own threads ;)

(1) Root is a separate thing from CWM. CF-Auto-Root does not include CWM, but if your device has a CWM build you can certainly flash it. The "ROM Manager" app will be able to install it if your device has an "officially" supported CWM build from Koush himself.
    (2) If a CF-Root (non-auto) is available then it's probably outdated. I do not maintain any CWM builds anymore, but others do for most devices, so you should be able to find one.
    (3) You can do that no problem.

I use Mobile ODIN for flashing ZIPs, but it does not do backup/restores (yet *wink*). For my other backup needs, I use Titanium Backup.

But to each their own. Some people prefer CWM, some people prefer TWRP, some people like me prefer stock so we can keep the counters at 0/official, etc. CF-Auto-Root keeps all our options open. It doesn't prevent you from anything, though it does also not include anything like that.