Portable ADB prompt

Search This thread

Kickface

Feb 18, 2011
Sydney
joshmerriman.tumblr.com
Portable ADB Prompt

If you're on the road and you need an ADB prompt to interact with your phone, many people will be lost as to what to do. It's kind of hard to carry the Android SDK on a flash drive, and if you're doing that solely for an ADB prompt, then it's kind of useless.

Basically, I've packaged an ADB prompt into a portable package for debuggers, hackers, and others to carry on the road. It fits on a small USB drive, and can even sit on your phone's SD card slot, ready to use.

You don't need a working copy of the Android SDK to use it. I've tested this on several computers, with and without the SDK on them.
So far a Windows-only copy is working fully. I haven't started on a Linux repackage, and perobably won't do a Mac port (unless a Mac owner/user is willing to).

All you need to do is extract the package, run adbprompt.bat, and you're good to go!

I'm sure this is stable enough for everyday use. Although seeing as I haven't explored every single facet of ADB on this portable package, I can't be too sure. It's labeled as a BETA until I've confirmed its stability.

Download link is below.

Attachments

• kickface-portable-adb-0.2b.zip
    608.5 KB · Views: 36,925

Braydon525

Feb 28, 2011
This is pretty handy to have. I'd be willing to look into this for a mac. If I'm not mistaken, it should just be one file. I've been playing around with a 1-click-root for mac and come to find that only the adb file from the sdk is needed for the command prompt to work.

Kickface

Feb 18, 2011
Sydney
joshmerriman.tumblr.com
Sweet, feel free! It's be pretty cool if you could put it up in this thread to - y'know, as a central hub for portable ADB prompts.

If you want, you could do a port/repackage. Basically it's just caling the ADB executable, executing adb command, and looping back to ask for more input. Simple, really. Easier than cding to the directory with the exe and all that wankery.
The best thing to do by means of disribution would be to package it in a .dmg and make it call a script to to the input-execute-loop thing (I don't know much about Mac file extensions). If you understand Windows batch code, you could try interpret adbprompt.bat to work with the Mac's native shell code - which I think is .sh, correct me if I'm wrong.

So yeah, port it if you want, send it my way through a PM (upload it to mediafire or something), and I'll put it up - with appropriate credit of course :p

Last edited:

wlee2

Oct 25, 2010
Melbourne
Portable ADB Prompt

If you're on the road and you need an ADB prompt to interact with your phone, many people will be lost as to what to do. It's kind of hard to carry the Android SDK on a flash drive, and if you're doing that solely for an ADB prompt, then it's kind of useless.

Basically, I've packaged an ADB prompt into a portable package for debuggers, hackers, and others to carry on the road. It fits on a small USB drive, and can even sit on your phone's SD card slot, ready to use.

You don't need a working copy of the Android SDK to use it. I've tested this on several computers, with and without the SDK on them.
So far a Windows-only copy is working fully. I haven't started on a Linux repackage, and perobably won't do a Mac port (unless a Mac owner/user is willing to).

All you need to do is extract the package, run adbprompt.bat, and you're good to go!

I'm sure this is stable enough for everyday use. Although seeing as I haven't explored every single facet of ADB on this portable package, I can't be too sure. It's labeled as a BETA until I've confirmed its stability.

Download link is below.

With Your permissions i would like to upload this file and any updates of it to my dropbox to share on OXygenRom Forum

Regards

pred2k

Dec 27, 2010
Cool think for my flash-drive, but this version doesn't support the 'connect' command or?
i wanted to use it with the App 'adbWireless'.

Dan_Aykroyd

Feb 10, 2010
Sadly, I get an error saying "the system cannot find the file specified" with every command I try to run :(

Dan_Aykroyd

Feb 10, 2010
I think a "portable" ADB is already in the SuperOneClick root solution. It has a folder called adb with the executable and a couple of .dll. It worked great on first try, so to anybody who this might not work, you can download SOC and extract the folder from there.

Thanks for your work though

Fr3nZy

Feb 23, 2008
Sweet. This is pretty much an essential tool for me.
You should add an if/goto label command before the 'cd src' so it only tries to cd once. This would prevent the 'The system cannot find the path specified.' message after every command

:newline
if exist AdbWinApi.dll goto jump
cd src
:jump

lincruste

May 15, 2006
Thank you so much for this.
I moved your batch file in the "src" directory and modified line 12 to make it more "portable":
Code:
cd %~dp0

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Portable ADB Prompt

Download link is below.
    Yeah, sure! Feel free! Just make sure you credit Kickface of xda-developers forums for the package.

And although I don't own a Desire, I've joined up at the forums.
    Good luck with the ROM!