FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,272

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 21st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
25th December 2013, 10:22 AM |#5001  
Flag Rochester, NY
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysovwik

Hello. I have an opportunity to take a 32gb model N5 or G2 for the same price. I need to know, which one will be better for the day use for my cases:

1) much phone calls (GSM + SIP calls)
2) music
3) e-reading
4) foto
5) web serfing.

Thank you.

P.S. I hope, people who will recommend me one or another phone, had the opportunity to test both devices.

I have had both phones and both have great things going for them. If you want the latest Android software, go for the N5. If you want cool features, the LG G2 is the better option. They both have pretty much the same processors, but the G2 has better battery and a better camera IMO. Plus, I think double tap and the IR remote are awesome. Pure Android is great but the way LG did it this time makes it hard to pick the N5 over the G2.

Sent from my XT1053 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
25th December 2013, 02:31 PM |#5002  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
which one should i buy
i want to buy a new tablet in the range of rs10000, i viewed nexus 7 is there any better one pls suggest me i use to play a lot and browse a lot on net so suggest me as per my requirement
thnks in advance
25th December 2013, 06:51 PM |#5003  
Flag Tehran
Thanks Meter: 1,062

More
hey guys, I'm planning to buy a 7" tablet, for Internet, ebooks and movies on the go. I already have a 10" one (it's really old but anyway). I've 2 options. Asus Fonepad ME372 CG 8 GB, and Google Asus Nexus 7 2012 32 GB WiFi (I can't afford the 3G variant), there are other tabs that match my price range, but these two stand out the most. I'm not sure which, these are a few cons and pros of each over the other:

Nexus 7
pros:
Easy root and much development, USB OTG with support for USB 3G modem dongles (via custom ROM, the reason I'm choosing the WiFi variant, I've already done this on my 10" tab), much better support with KitKat already available, no need for a ext SD card (32 GB is enough for me anyway), better performance with a better GPU, NFC.
cons:
Aging tablet, older gen of SoC, no ext SD support, no internal SIM, questionable build quality (?).

Fonepad
pros:
Internal SIM support with phone calls ability, newer, with okay support from Asus, back camera (don't care at all), slightly cheaper, SD card support.
Cons:
No root or development whatsoever AFAIK, no USB OTG, x86 based-less software support, slower GPU, no NFC.

I personally prefer Nexus 7, but having to use an external modem (I already have a supported modem) slightly makes it less appealing.
25th December 2013, 08:34 PM |#5004  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1l4droid

hey guys, I'm planning to buy a 7" tablet, for Internet, ebooks and movies on the go. I already have a 10" one (it's really old but anyway). I've 2 options. Asus Fonepad ME372 CG 8 GB, and Google Asus Nexus 7 2012 32 GB WiFi (I can't afford the 3G variant), there are other tabs that match my price range, but these two stand out the most. I'm not sure which, these are a few cons and pros of each over the other:

Nexus 7
pros:
Easy root and much development, USB OTG with support for USB 3G modem dongles (via custom ROM, the reason I'm choosing the WiFi variant, I've already done this on my 10" tab), much better support with KitKat already available, no need for a ext SD card (32 GB is enough for me anyway), better performance with a better GPU, NFC.
cons:
Aging tablet, older gen of SoC, no ext SD support, no internal SIM, questionable build quality (?).

Fonepad
pros:
Internal SIM support with phone calls ability, newer, with okay support from Asus, back camera (don't care at all), slightly cheaper, SD card support.
Cons:
No root or development whatsoever AFAIK, no USB OTG, x86 based-less software support, slower GPU, no NFC.

I personally prefer Nexus 7, but having to use an external modem (I already have a supported modem) slightly makes it less appealing.

The comparison you made is pretty accurate. However, even if Fonepad has more recent SoC, the Nexus 7 will still work better since it runs unmodificated Android. You can also count on better support and updates (from both Google and XDA). NFC in N7 makes the choice even easier. Pros of Fonepad are not convincing: making phonecalls with a tablet is really uncomfortable, same story with back camera.
If you need the tablet to read e-books, listen to music, watch movies - pick Nexus 7. BUT if your highest priority is browsing the web - pick Fonepad with 3G support.
25th December 2013, 08:58 PM |#5005  
Flag Tehran
Thanks Meter: 1,062

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by koizumi7

The comparison you made is pretty accurate. However, even if Fonepad has more recent SoC, the Nexus 7 will still work better since it runs unmodificated Android. You can also count on better support and updates (from both Google and XDA). NFC in N7 makes the choice even easier. Pros of Fonepad are not convincing: making phonecalls with a tablet is really uncomfortable, same story with back camera.
If you need the tablet to read e-books, listen to music, watch movies - pick Nexus 7. BUT if your highest priority is browsing the web - pick Fonepad with 3G support.

I've tried the Fonepad on display in a mall. It was fast enough. One of the reasons I'm buying a 7" tablet is 3G support for internet on the go, fonepad has it better but I really care about root and development. I've never had an android device that wasn't rooted within one hour after the purchase . I've already used the 3G modem on my 10" tab, it has a built-in USB socket, so it's better for that, but it's getting really old ( it can't play 1080p videos, plays fast 720p with lag, the screen resolution is pretty low, it's heavy at 750 grammes, and although I've a fully functional custom 4.3.1 ROM running on it, it won't probably get KitKat), so I'll prefer the Nexus 7, because of support and root-ability. Still I'm not sure. And yes, NFC is really useful these days, my phone has it and I've always been bummed that my tablet doesn't.

Sent from my Slimmed Galaxy S3 GT-I9300
26th December 2013, 06:27 PM |#5006  
Flag ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █
Thanks Meter: 398

More
Need a device with a BIG screen over 5.5" with a battery life of 26 hours with screen on 75% of the time. Also needs to be able to go swimming with out a case on it. I need a smart watch with it that's 100% waterproof and can take phone calls on the watch. Needs to have a lot of accessories options as well. I need it to be thin and strong. Made out of all Metal. Does this phone exist??? Also need AOSP and made 100% in the USA and cost with out contract for $299 for VZW.
26th December 2013, 08:02 PM |#5007  
Flag Bogor
Thanks Meter: 2

More
xperia z1 or samsung s4 ?
26th December 2013, 08:09 PM |#5008  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by idle0095

Need a device with a BIG screen over 5.5" with a battery life of 26 hours with screen on 75% of the time. Also needs to be able to go swimming with out a case on it. I need a smart watch with it that's 100% waterproof and can take phone calls on the watch. Needs to have a lot of accessories options as well. I need it to be thin and strong. Made out of all Metal. Does this phone exist??? Also need AOSP and made 100% in the USA and cost with out contract for $299 for VZW.

Yeah that phone doesn't exist. I would think the Note 3 or Xperia phablet to get closest to your wants. Expensive though.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk
26th December 2013, 08:45 PM |#5009  
Thanks Meter: 1,537

More
@failed1234 in pretty sure he was being sarcastic

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
26th December 2013, 08:48 PM |#5010  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdel12345

@failed1234 in pretty sure he was being sarcastic

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Kind of hard to tell on the internet.

Sent from my KFHDX using Tapatalk
27th December 2013, 03:26 AM |#5011  
Flag Ho Chi Minh City
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by idle0095

Well I guess an Note 3 or Z ultra with an extending battery may meet your requirement
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)