[CES 2013] Qi charging case with flip cover for Note 2!

Search This thread

mtmerrick

Jan 29, 2011
Merced/San Diego
8373572067_573346ed99_n.jpg

full size image

This was at Qi's both at CES, and I actually got to put my note 2 in it and try it out!

It has a MicroUSB connector inside that you slide your phone into, then you just press the top of the phone into it. No, it does not come apart like iphone power cases.

There is a MicroUSB port on the bottom of the case, off-center. The Qi Rep I spoke to said it passes through power and data, but not MHL. He also said the wireless charging will not affect NFC in any way. The flip cover portion is very similar to the official Samsung flip cover, and features a row of holes at the top to let the earpiece, light sensor, and FFC through. There is also a small switch on the bottom of the device to turn wireless charging on or off - why you would want to turn it off, I'm not sure, but it's there if you want to.

The color of the case was very close to the gray of the Note, though it lacked the faux-brushed-metal look.

And yes, it did charge my phone.

The Qi Rep I spoke to said that this was the retail model and it would be in stores 'soon'

Last edited:

IamPro

Dec 2, 2010
Will it fit in a Smart Dock?

Is it a case itself? If not, what kind of case fits it? Could I mod say a TPU to fit?

How nice does it look? Quality of it?

Reactions: ac16313

Souai

Jun 28, 2011
Adelaide

Is it a case itself? If not, what kind of case fits it? Could I mod say a TPU to fit?

thats a no to the smart dock. you need to be able to directly connect your device to the dock for it to work. the case blocks it.

and if you look at the pics, its just like an extended battery case, only it adds qi charging. instead of using the qi charging pins behind the battery door (which are not present in all models), it looks like they went the safe route and just let it qi charge via microusb.

Reactions: mtmerrick

IamPro

Dec 2, 2010
thats a no to the smart dock. you need to be able to directly connect your device to the dock for it to work. the case blocks it.

and if you look at the pics, its just like an extended battery case, only it adds qi charging. instead of using the qi charging pins behind the battery door (which are not present in all models), it looks like they went the safe route and just let it qi charge via microusb.

Have you seen this case yourself?

mtmerrick

Jan 29, 2011
Merced/San Diego

Actually, he's correct. Not only would it be unstable in the Samsung Smart Dock due to the port off to the side, the smart dock uses MHL to get at least the video out. I have no idea if the added thickness of the case would affect how it would sit in the dock though.

It is a case - in fact it feels pretty similar to the official Samsung hardcase. No, I don't think you could mod another case to fit over the top of this.

As far as looks, as I said, its about the same color as the gray of the phone, but without the faux-brushed-metal look. Actually it has a bit of a texture to it, but it feels like the same high-quality polycarbonate Samsung uses. The flip cover portion actually feels a little bit sturdier than Samsung's official flip cover.

Yes, I was highly annoyed to find out VZW removed the pins for wireless charging from our phones >_> a setup like this is really the only way we can get wireless charging.

Reactions: ac16313

IamPro

Dec 2, 2010
Ok thanks, appreciate the response

Any idea when this will be available and where?
Yes, I was highly annoyed to find out VZW removed the pins for wireless charging from our phones >_> a setup like this is really the only way we can get wireless charging.

True :crying:

terra_droid

Jan 22, 2011
I thought this was a Qi wireless charging solution bu unfortunately still cabled. In that case, I'd be more interested in the TYLT, although I would still need to get a back case with a Qi charge receptor and all I've seen so far are DIY ones.

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
I find it really disappointing that these manufacturer make these qi case/battery cover a few mm thicker than a oem one's, making it unsuitable for ppl to use protective cases.

I have been using these for sometime, about 6 months for both S3 and note 2, less than 1mm thick and fits under any original battery covers, and you can us any protective case, although very thick cases or thick wallet type case won't work due to the qi waves signal will not connect, but was told even otterbox will work.
These are not official QI certified, but will work with any QI charging base.

So far I haven't seen anything better than these, may be larger companies should learn from them.

Will not stop nfc from working, and some note 2 will not work, as some version has the inductive charging connectors removed.

Last edited:
Reactions: crzycrkr

terra_droid

Jan 22, 2011
I find it really disappointing that these manufacturer make these qi case/battery cover a few mm thicker than a oem one's, making it unsuitable for ppl to use protective cases.

I have been using these for sometime, about 6 months for both S3 and note 2, less than 1mm thick and fits under any original battery covers, and you can us any protective case, although very thick cases or thick wallet type case won't work due to the qi waves signal will not connect, but was told even otterbox will work.

So far I haven't seen anything better than these, may be larger companies should learn from them.

Will not stop nfc from working, and some note 2 will not work, as some version has the inductive charging connectors removed.

Where did you get this from?

crzycrkr

Jun 26, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6 Pro

The Sprint model still has the connectors, but they're not exposed through the back cover. I'm thinking about trying to swap out the back cover for one with the holes. They go for about $15 online

Sent from my SGNII

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Actually, he's correct. Not only would it be unstable in the Samsung Smart Dock due to the port off to the side, the smart dock uses MHL to get at least the video out. I have no idea if the added thickness of the case would affect how it would sit in the dock though.

It is a case - in fact it feels pretty similar to the official Samsung hardcase. No, I don't think you could mod another case to fit over the top of this.

As far as looks, as I said, its about the same color as the gray of the phone, but without the faux-brushed-metal look. Actually it has a bit of a texture to it, but it feels like the same high-quality polycarbonate Samsung uses. The flip cover portion actually feels a little bit sturdier than Samsung's official flip cover.

Energizer's version, looks pretty similar without the flip cover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNXEnG1S1MM

Personally, I will prob buy this (OP's one) if it doesn't add too much bulk and looks nice :)

Why dont they do like the s3 and use the ports on the phone that are meant for charging?