Uses for the IR blaster on the HTC m8

Search This thread

darksherko

Mar 18, 2011
Maassluis
Hi there people
I have my HTC m8 a few days now and I am absolutely happy with it so I was playing around with it and noticed that you can create custom IR commands with the tv app
So I went on and grabbed my RC helicopter and its IR remote and started configuring it and boom!
It went flawless I could control the helicopter with my phone!
So I was wondering does anybody have anything else that can be done with the IR blaster?

Post down below I'd like to hear :D

Sent from my HTC One M8

Keithn

Feb 24, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I have mine setup to contol the lighting on my PC, and to turn on/off a relay to power my chromecast (I use a PC monitor so no ir on it). It's also nice to just not have to find a remote for the TVs around my house since I rarely touch them.

umsheikh

Jan 3, 2008
Using it as a remote control for my Nikon DSLR... Works pretty nice

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Trinition

downwiththebanksters

May 28, 2011
Taiwan
Can we push the envelope of this thread a little further?

1. Which are the best Play Store apps for IR apps, it seems the two would be: IR Blaster, and Smart IR Remote? Comments anyone?

2. Has anyone applied any super geek/scientific inquiry research to the output in these IR units? What amount of lumens/rads/calories does our unit put out....vs the S5,S4, M7 etc units output?

I ask because the HTC TV app doesn't work the way I want it for my Home Theater components, and I can't seem to use it to drive my A/C units.

Last edited:

benziii

Mar 4, 2010
Lillestrøm
Can we push the envelope of this thread a little further?

1. Which are the best Play Store apps for IR apps, it seems the two would be: IR Blaster, and Smart IR Remote? Comments anyone?

Well I can tell you that the smart IR Remote is very pricey, but you get what you pay for.
Don't have that many obscure devices, but everything I have thrown at it (Tv's, home cinema, the usual stuff) have all worked flawlessly.
The library has got me covered thus far.

Reactions: bigears5000

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
I also use Smart ir remote. It can be a littly quirky to set up, but it has by far the best interface.
It is also super configurable. I have it set up for every device in my home. In fact it actually enabled me to access the service menu on my LG TV and enable movie playback from USB. I tried loads of others, but this is the most polished and complete.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Turn off TVs in bars during Fifa World Cup

Classic
    Turn off projector on the boring English Class at college EPIC!

LOL
    I see we are a mature bunch...

I used it to mess with the TV in the pub the other night as well
    Hi there people
    I have my HTC m8 a few days now and I am absolutely happy with it so I was playing around with it and noticed that you can create custom IR commands with the tv app
    So I went on and grabbed my RC helicopter and its IR remote and started configuring it and boom!
    It went flawless I could control the helicopter with my phone!
    So I was wondering does anybody have anything else that can be done with the IR blaster?

Post down below I'd like to hear :D

Sent from my HTC One M8
    I use Smart IR Remote application. It's gives you tons of options for setting up different types of remotes. There other DSLR only apps out there too.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app