FORUMS

Asus RT N and AC Routers

5,822 posts
Thanks Meter: 996

By ermacwins, Senior Member on 21st April 2014, 11:40 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Does anyone have this router? I understand it can act as a server with video or audio stored on it?

And Im assuming these can be played with allcast and bubbleupnp?
21st April 2014, 03:39 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 45

More
Yes, though I am not sure if this feature is available on the stock firmware.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Jarocks For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jarocks Ad-Free
21st April 2014, 05:14 PM |#3  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 491

Donate to Me
More
I have the ac68u and yes it can act as a server on stock firmware

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to polish_pat For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift polish_pat Ad-Free
21st April 2014, 05:40 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 79

More
Yeah I have the dark knight edition and it can be used as server. I however much prefer casting from my Plex server

The Following User Says Thank You to TeamHackura For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TeamHackura Ad-Free
21st April 2014, 05:44 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 89

More
I've got a router that has built-in DLNA server abilities in it. It seemed like a good idea until I got to the question of "How do you get the video files onto your server?". The answer for my Belkin router is that I have to disconnect the usb drive from the router and connect it to my computer, then drag files over, then when I'm done, connect the usb storage back to the router. If you're the type of person who is regularly downloading movies, then having to constantly move the usb drive around can be a PITA. In fact, it was actually more convenient to just plug the drive into my OUYA and watch movies than it was to use the DLNA capabilities in my router.

Now, if the router had some method to allow uploading files directly to its server, it would have been a different story. But then comes the next big issue - DLNA only supports a limited amount of file types. Again, this one isn't too much of an issue if you only have a small set number of movies or if you're encoding your own files.

In the end, I ended up forking out the $5 for the plex android app. Though, if you have an ouya, the plex app is free in that store.
The Following User Says Thank You to gianptune For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gianptune Ad-Free
21st April 2014, 07:02 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Sounds like OP is asking in general if Asus N and AC routers support DLNA -- and Samba. If it say so on the box, then yes. Asus DLNA feature is actually pretty reliable. Album art always shows up.

I use my AC68 connected 24/7 with a WD 1tb USB hard drive and it acts as a server for d/l and stream. Any app that has DLNA support should see the server on the router (I use BubbleUpnp, Avia, Local Cast). Also Windows detect it as a network drive and ES file explorer sees it under LAN so I can easily transfer, edit files and folders. The hard drive will also auto spin down after 20 mins. I'm using stock firmware. If your media need transcoding, because CC wont support whatever format, that's a different story.
The Following User Says Thank You to ETFoneHome For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ETFoneHome Ad-Free
21st April 2014, 07:24 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 84

More
I have a rt-n56u with a Western Digital 1TB drive connected directly to it. Bubbleunpnp sees the drive as a DLNA source and works prefect streaming from the drive to the chromecast just as long as your videos are in the correct formats the dongle can handle.

Sent from my GT-I9505
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrm1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrm1 Ad-Free
21st April 2014, 08:03 PM |#8  
Flag Denver
Thanks Meter: 198

More
I have a RT-AC66U running Merlin's latest enhanced stock firmware. There is a DLNA server option in the fw that gives the option to serve out USB connected media. There's also an iTunes server in it. More info on Merlin's builds here: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42 I don't have any experience with it - running WHS2011 serving media. But, the router has been a very good one.
21st April 2014, 11:55 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 996

Donate to Me
More
So apparently the N66U has a microsd slot on the mainboard. Has anyone tinkered with that?

22nd April 2014, 05:21 PM |#10  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 491

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamHackura

Yeah I have the dark knight edition and it can be used as server. I however much prefer casting from my Plex server

Only downside with plex is your computer always has to be on. The Asus server is always available and you can even access it from outside your network

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
22nd April 2014, 05:31 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 79

More
True. I have bitten the bullet and decided to leave PC on. It idles down nicely anyhow. The good thing with plex is that it encodes on the fly to suite the device and bandwidth present. With DLNA server on router its hit or miss whether it even starts to play. Also interface of Plex is verty nice from Android app.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)