delcert - Sign strip tool

Search This thread

deepred

Jan 19, 2006
Hi,

here is a small tool that strips (removes) digital sign (Authenticode) from PE executable files like *.exe, *.dll, *.mui, etc. On error HRESULT is returned, i.e. 0x00000005 means that file is readonly.
Code:
C:\[snip]>delcert.exe OEM\OEMOpera\OperaWM.exe

Target file(s): OEM\OEMOpera\OperaWM.exe

Stripping file: C:\[snip]\OEM\OEMOpera\OperaWM.exe.
Succeeded.

C:\[snip]>delcert.exe OEM\OEM_Lang_0409\*.mui

Target file(s): OEM_Lang_0409\*.mui

Stripping file: C:\[snip]\OEM\OEM_Lang_0409\aboutprop.dll.0409.mui.
Succeeded.

Stripping file: C:\[snip]\OEM\OEM_Lang_0409\BKLBrightness.dll.0409.mui.
Succeeded.
Source is included. You may need to install Visual Studio 2008 C++ Runtime before running.

Attachments

• delcert.zip
    10.2 KB · Views: 23,253

cmylxgo

Feb 13, 2007
Hi,

here is a small tool that strips (removes) digital sign (Authenticode) from PE executable files like *.exe, *.dll, *.mui, etc. On error HRESULT is returned, i.e. 0x00000005 means that file is readonly.
Code:

Succeeded.

Succeeded.

Succeeded.
Source is included. You may need to install Visual Studio 2008 C++ Runtime before running.

Thanks for this...it fixed and issue I had when trying to remove a cert with another tool.

chetstriker

Mar 9, 2008
Brattleboro, VT
www.unfairware.com
This sounds really interesting, however I was wondering what it can be used for? the certificates usully just provide authentication. Can this be used to bypass protection methods, or what are some real world examples of usage?

deepred

Jan 19, 2006
You're right, authenticode provides input data for Windows Mobile (originally Windows CE) policy mechanism which decides then if it is allowed to run the file or not. I used it to strip authenticode from OEM files taken from HTC devices before signing them with my own certificate (I usually sign files in my cooked ROMs). I.e. if file is already signed you can't sign it with another certificate until old one is removed.
Due to the fact that certificates are asymmetric you can sign files only with private certificates. That's why I use my own certificates.
To bypass the protection you need to get some how the private part and sign you file with it. Or you can just disable the security policy that enforces file origin check.

ute_arbeit

Oct 22, 2010
Thanks a lot for your work! Your neat little tool is just what I was looking for to be able to sign a Flash projector with my own certificate.

WarlockW

Dec 30, 2007
Minnesota
Works beautifully when other tools didn't ! Is Right !

Works beautifully when other tools didn't ! Is Right !

Worked Great Thanks - Just What I was Looking For !!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

TheGeekyGuy101

Jul 14, 2014
Still working in Windows 8.1

Still working in Windows 8.1 :D
It's great because I can remove the cert from bit torrent and any other group policy blocked programs on my school laptop

Hydranix

Jun 27, 2013
Do you have any license requirements on your source or is it safe to assume this is public domain?

Phurkus

Feb 18, 2015
Thanks OP. Appriciste for your share :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using XDA Free mobile app

Tropple

May 20, 2016
Useful for software publishers

We're using the delcert tool to avoid warnings with expired certificates. Our sign tool doesn't like exe files that already have a valid, but expired signature.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

Code:

Succeeded.

Succeeded.

Succeeded.