Nexus 7 defects?

Where did you receive your defective Nexus 7 from?

• Google Play Store

Votes: 706 57.7%
  • GameStop

Votes: 77 6.3%
  • ebuyer

Votes: 61 5.0%
  • Staples

Votes: 140 11.4%
  • Office Depot

Votes: 71 5.8%
  • Sams Club

Votes: 40 3.3%
  • Adorama

Votes: 15 1.2%
  • Walmart

Votes: 92 7.5%
  • Best Buy

Votes: 56 4.6%

• Total voters
Search This thread

pxlitup

Jul 16, 2012
the one i just grabbed from bestbuy has screen separation too. That's 3 for 3 for me (2 staples, 1 BB)
I'm actually furious right now, fuk
That's what I was afraid of. Have you talked to customer service yet?

Moreover, has anyone gotten a Google rep to acknowledge the screen lifting phenomenon? It seems like everyone looking for it has been able to find it.

r3p00c

Nov 8, 2007
As soon as I opened mine, I noticed a rattle. Took the back panel off and after shaking it around a bit, a screw came out from underneath one of the adhesive black pieces over part of the chip set. None of the exposed screws were missing, so either a covered one completely came out or someone left an extra screw in the casing. Not the most comforting first experience with my N7, but there arent any issues and everything else is perfect.

CheyenneDonna

Apr 9, 2010
I got one perfect, so far, and one with dust under the screen and very little volume from the speakers. I'm dreading the long wait for a rep to initiate the RMA exchange.

SS2006

Aug 23, 2008
London, Ontario
That's what I was afraid of. Have you talked to customer service yet?

Moreover, has anyone gotten a Google rep to acknowledge the screen lifting phenomenon? It seems like everyone looking for it has been able to find it.

Ya, if you dont look for it you won't notice it. My 3 friends think thiers is fine but I noticed it (was able to sponge it down and up); the bestbuy demo tablet had it too
I think almost very friggin tablet in canada has this issue; I'm actually gonna screw around with mine for 14 days, then return it, and hope a fixed 2nd batch is available then

drleospaceman

Jun 2, 2010
I got a new N7 today and it has absolutely zero backlight bleed (even at an angle). Definitely return yours if it has some that is noticeable.

got556

Sep 6, 2011
Chicago
Maybe next time Google will go with Sammy or Moto.....sheesh. Called this from the get go.

I would love love love to see how many were sold vs. how many were RMA'd.

So far mine has only shown the screen raise issue.....luckily nothing more than that. I can't imagine how you guys feel about having to return or can't get in touch with Google. I would be livid.

Hang in there guys.

sluma

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
as with most of you I have the problem with the left side of the screen popping out. Here in Western Canada we have a store called London drugs and I went to get it exchanged with another device, the guy at the store opened a new tablet so I can exchange it and see if it had the problem and it did. So all of Canada got the exact same defective shipment. Very disappointed. I used to think that asus made quality products.

rayandreas

Oct 11, 2011
bakersfield ca
I cant believe this! I just noticed this thread and after looked at my n7, sure enough, the left side is raised up. Im out here in cali and I ordered mine the same day they went on pre order. Im on hold with them right now. looks like a loooong wait...this isnt cool

IMG_20120719_224428.jpg

IMG_20120719_224447.jpg

b22ri22an

anyone having problems with a dead usb port?

my screen is perfect but my usb port doesn't charge the tablet or connect to a pc to transfer files while the tablet is on... it will however charge with the tablet off. have to take it to staples tomorrow to try and get them to exchange it

Ownaginatious

Sep 8, 2007
anyone having problems with a dead usb port?

my screen is perfect but my usb port doesn't charge the tablet or connect to a pc to transfer files while the tablet is on... it will however charge with the tablet off. have to take it to staples tomorrow to try and get them to exchange it

Your computer's USB amperage is probably too low on that particular port. Try plugging into a different USB port on your computer (preferably not through one with a passive hub on it).

If you have any USB 3.0 ports, that might help too.

jkspade

Jul 18, 2012
That is fortunate. I was given the line about how my request would need to be escalated. I was told to expect a response within two weeks. I asked the CSR to repeat the timeframe to make sure that I heard him correctly. Absurd, but I figured that I would just wait a day or two and call again rather than argue with the CSR. At least I got an e-mail proving that I made a support request.

The first time i called, the person told me 24 hrs. I called 2 days later and the person told me that I would get a reply by the end of this week. Does anyone know if the return policy for people with defective devices will be extended beyond their normal 15-day return policy? I don't want to wait here for 2 weeks or more wondering whether I will get a replacement unit. I don't want my 15 days to have passed and then google suddenly telling me to take it up with asus.

For people who returned their devices to the play store, were you guys subject to any restocking fee?

b22ri22an

Your computer's USB amperage is probably too low on that particular port. Try plugging into a different USB port on your computer (preferably not through one with a passive hub on it).

If you have any USB 3.0 ports, that might help too.

no response from any usb port on my computer, and no response from the supplied wall charger. the lightning on the battery doesn't show at all on any attempt to charge and no response from my computer that any device is plugged in on whatever port i plug it in to. but it does charge off of any port and the wall socket when the unit is powered off, i have tried a factory reset before and after updating to 4.1.1

coolxal

May 28, 2010
Does anyone else have color banding on gradients?

Like the default homescreen wallpaper for example. You can really see that boundaries between the colors.

goku16

Oct 13, 2010
received the n7 today, excited for 2hrs after charging, turn it on, than it's not even n7 stock rom on it, it's like transformer rom >"<
all screwed up, cant touch, cant do anything.. replacement come next week... :(

spick74

Jul 20, 2012
Potential fix for my Nexus 7

Screen lifting and sound of sticky residue on mine as well. Picked it up at a local Staples a few days ago.

Popped off the back, all the screws were tight. I didn't want to torque them any tighter. Noted as well that when the back was popped off, the screen sat flush to the edge of the frame. Once the back was placed on again with some moderate use, the screen lifted again.

So what I did was pulled out a c-clamp and some cardboard. Place the stiff cardboard close to the edge of the frame on the screen, and on the back, then used the c-clamp to apply pressure to the screen so it sat flush and tight to the frame. Then I started the Transformers movie and let it play through so it adequately heated up the device. I then left it over night to cool.

So far so good. Perhaps the heat, clamping, and cooling allowed the adhesive to properly adhere to the frame.

Otherwise it's a nice device. Look forward to app testing with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joynted

xilefian

Jan 3, 2012
London
A co-worker's Nexus 7 has really bad screen lifting and it pushes down like a cushion, I've been reading up on the defects running up to when I received my device, I was expecting screen lifting, however, my device is perfectly fine, there is no screen lifting at all, and you can't even push down on the left side like you could with my co-worker's. The left side does seem higher up than the right side, but it's still set within the silver frame and feels solid.

I've also been attempting to show screen ghosting, but it seems like my device doesn't suffer with that problem either?

Reactions: pxlitup

rsage

Jul 28, 2010
Does anyone else have color banding on gradients?

Like the default homescreen wallpaper for example. You can really see that boundaries between the colors.

Yes, especially noticeable on dark gradients for me, like the settings screen. Is this normal for a tablet with this type of screen? I'd like to know if this is a defect

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have a theory too, nothing in life is perfect, or pristine. Even the hottest super model gets a pimple on her ass from time to time, and I wouldn't ship her off just because of a blemish. No company makes a perfect product, and people, due to an irrational OCD with electronics want it 100% perfect, and as long as people are assembling these products, there will be imperfections. The sad part is, the vast majority of the things people return electronics for do not impact the use of the product, and are barely visable to the naked eye. We love to put everything under a microscope, though. Gotta have something to freak out about, I suppose.

Soooooo everyone should just be happy with their defective N7's because a product working 100% the way it is supposed to is too much to ask for?
    I pre-ordered mine from the Play Store on the 28th with the case. I have received no word or email or nothing yet on when/if mine is being shipped. Not a peep. Though it does bring a tiny sparkle to my eye to see all the people that bashed Google just because Gamestop was giving them out so early, only for so many of the GameStop ones to have issues thus far.

I hope mine is flawless. If it has lightbleed issues, Ill return it depending on how severe. If it has flickering issues, those wont bother me unless it is severe and happening with just about every page refresh etc. If mine has a little separation from the back of the device, I'll first try to push it back in place, if that doesn't work, I will throw my cover on there and see if that helps with the issue. If not and the squeaking becomes a nuissance from just normal use rather than being a very very occasional thing, I'd probably return it.

For me it all depends on the severity of the issue I may encounter if it is worth the trouble of having it replaced.
    But my original point: It is not unreasonable for every single person that ordered a Nexus 7 to have a completely defect-free device.
    So your "not everyone or everything is perfect!" argument is just flawed and invalid.
    My screen doesn't lift but I'm noticing a little creaking on the left side. It only happens really when I squeeze the tablet which I normally wouldn't do. Am I being picky thinking about returning it or should I be happy my screen is level and just live with it?

Take my advice. If everything else is working properly, keep it. It's not worth nitpicking over something like this and then getting another unit with worse problems. You'll regret it.
    Excellent device but mine isn't flush on the right side of the screen. (Portrait)
    After a few hours of use it's starting to pop if you press midway on the bezel.

The problem seemed to be getting worse today but after hearing it's just a clip (not glue) - I resorted to force.
    I needed to put quite a bit of pressure (more than seems safe) to do it, but it has properly clicked back into place now.
    Smooth the side back into place then pinch it firmly with your thumb and forefinger in the middle of your 'rise'.
    (turn your screen off if you're squeamish - you will hear a loud click when it goes back in)

DEFINITELY FIXED :good:

WARNING: THIS CAN BREAK YOUR SCREEN

For clarity, I didn't have any dents in the bezel. Try to spread any pressure on the screen side. Pinch the bezel together, not the lcd panel.
    Your problem might be different to mine, so try this at your own risk.

pinch-bezel.jpg
    all those sold by the play store were recalled from their shipping hubs due to ASUS's defects. Hence the delay. When we receive our devices, they should be defect free.

Please stop making things up. People might start believing it.
    They may have had a flaky bunch initially, but my personal theory is that these defects are occurring because it's been so hot this summer (at least in the us). Just hear me out out on this one: they put your pristine N7 in the back of xyz shipping truck, which then promptly heats up to over 100 degrees in the summer sun. At that temp, the metal starts expanding, the glue softens, you get a timely bump in the road, and BAM you have a damaged device. That seems plausible, at least to me. Another thing to worry about, as my N7 is coming fro. CALIFORNIA into the hot south.