How do you feel about the physical home button now?

Search This thread

aznguyen316

Feb 8, 2007
Coming from an iPhone its great and one of the many reasons so I wanted to make the switch back over. First smartphone ever was DROID Eris.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mrgixxer6

Jun 17, 2010
I'm still torn... while I'm getting used to it, I liked my gnex soft keys on the screen much more. That to me is the best design.

ez2

Aug 7, 2010
Houston, TX
I prefer the touch home key but have grown to not hate the physical home key as much as I initially did...

~Samsung Galaxy SIII (SPH-L710) - Blazer ROM v1.6 - TWRP~

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

I prefer the touch home key but have grown to not hate the physical home key as much as I initially did...

Scratch that!
Now that I think about it, the physical home key allows you to wake the device without having to hit the power button to initiate Google now/voice search, skipping a step that you would have to take with the prior touch home key.
So I guess I do prefer the physical home key.

vikksterr

Aug 17, 2012
Was on the iphone for 2 years. The physical button actually made the transition to android a lot easier for me. :)

Immolate

Apr 30, 2011
Daytona
This is my first Samsung other than a brief stint with the Note. The physical home button doesn't really bug me much, although I can't go so far as to say it's a plus.

Droosh

May 6, 2011
I wish it were capacitive like the other buttons, but physical is fine.

I'm considering enabling the soft keys like my G-Nex. I find myself hitting back sometimes unintentionally.

My current set-up:
Using CM10 I've remapped long home press to bring up Google Now. I've remapped menu to become quick multitasking. I've turned on the action overflow (3 dots) for apps. I also remapped menu to be long press of the now multitasking button for the apps that aren't properly coded for action overflow.

This seems to be working well as I missed the quick multitasking button from my G-Nex.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Kamokazi

Jan 14, 2009
I've always liked physical buttons, and have stuck with keyboards until I realized no one was ever going to make a good slider smartphone ever again. So I was happy the SGS3 was going to have at least one physical button.

Until I used it. I hate it. I have to reposition the phone in my hand if I want to press home. Over a month now, I'm adapting my usage, but I still hate it. My Droid 2 had all capacitive buttons and it never occurred to me how a physical button would change how I needed to hold the phone.

macdroid01

Mar 20, 2011
I love it. I'll never buy a phone without physical buttons for all nav functions. And I like the REAL button for home vs. capacitive. I miss my slider keyboard from Droid but I hope someone makes an S III slider keyboard case.

worwig

Jan 19, 2008
Don't 'love it' and don't 'hate it'.
I wish it was consistent. As in, all of the buttons should be physical (more glove friendly when I use it as a GPS on my motorcycle) or they should all be capacitive. It is goofy for there to be a mix of both.

duxup

Jul 21, 2012
I was really concerned coming from a Droid X that had buttons that were HORRIBLE.

I've grown to really like the button now. I have the camera as two home clicks and being a physical button I can quickly find the button with my thumb without looking hit it and fire up the camera.

coldcaption

Aug 19, 2012
It never bugged me. It's attractive and responsive, feels well-built, and is just fine to get to the app switcher.
What does bother me is those touch sensitive keys, though. I find them ready easy to tap by mistake when doing other things.

Only thing I miss from the Droid X is the camera button. I was so used to it I didn't realize how used to it I was!

Last edited:

BasPilot

Jul 8, 2012
My thing about physical buttons is usually they are loose, crooked, weird, or something is just wrong with them. With this phone, it is tight, placed correctly, clicks well, and everything else.

I wasn't sure what I would think about it. I really like it though. They built in quite a bit of functionality to it. (long press for tasks manager, single to go home, double to open S-voice, and it plays the role in screen shots). I think it's nice and useful and as time goes by I enjoy it more and more.

I did see someone say it looked purple though on a video before I got the phone. It kind of does! But I don't care. I like the whole dang phone!

lynneddington

Jun 8, 2011
Didn't think I would like it, wrong, I like being able to wake the phone with it

sent from my rooted verizon S3
if I accidentally helped u, hit the thanks button

bigfdaddy2

Aug 12, 2012
I like the home button.I hope we never lose the Physicall button...so many things have became capacitive its nice to have the one button people probobaly use the most be physical touch....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

dx0

Jul 17, 2011
Coming from an HTC phone with all capacitive buttons, I'm really not a fan of the physical home button. I like just being able to roll my finger over the other buttons and they do their thing. The home button actually needs to be depressed. I've had the S3 since the release and this is one of the things I'm still adjusting to.

ryzilla23

Feb 23, 2010
I like the physical button while I am holding the phone. When my phone is docked or I am not holding it (it's on the desk, or I am showing something to another person and they are holding it), I find it a pain because I can't just easily touch it and have it respond like the other keys. I wish they went all or nothing and didn't mix the two types, be consistent one way or the other, imho.

JFrawls

Aug 20, 2012
CT
Didn't think I would like it, wrong, I like being able to wake the phone with it

sent from my rooted verizon S3
if I accidentally helped u, hit the thanks button

This is what I find myself using it the most for, other than that I could really do without it. Not really a big fan of having to long press it for the task manager to appear.

equisbox

I like it its ok. Im comin from a dinc and it had a button in the center with a sensor u can use to navigate the screens and icons if u slide ur finger over it. I dont like how this button wakes the screen. It randomly wakes in my pocket. I wonder if theres an option to disable the wake.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I wish it was capacitive like the back and menu keys. The one thing I do like it for is the ability to wake up the phone. A lot less cumbersome than having to reach for the side of the phone.
    When the first came out I was disappointed that it was going to have a physical home button. Have had phone now since it was released (Verizon) and I gotta say it doesnt bother at all. In fact it feels like it should be there. Not sure how it would feel without it actually.

You wish it wasn't there? Used to it now? Love it...hate it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
    I would like it more if it were sensitive, it almost had to be pressed just right and with a bit of force, makes me wonder how long it will last....

That being said I still would prefer it to not be there.
    I dont like how this button wakes the screen. It randomly wakes in my pocket. I wonder if theres an option to disable the wake.

Stop wearing skinny jeans?
    My Incredible had capacitive buttons and an optical trackball of sorts. I like how this Home button is easily differentiated from the two capacitive buttons on either side, which helps with moving my thumb to the proper button position without looking.

- ooofest

my thoughts exactly. I am coming from the original Incredible and I thought I really liked not having a physical button, but when I got use to the S3, its nice to know where your at to help navigate the buttons.