Know why this forum is dead?

Search This thread

rainabba

Mar 16, 2008
If you could show me to a few tablets that are more powerful then the ouya at a reasonable prize ($100-$150)
Then please show me.. i would love one

I didn't say anything about a "reasonable price" though there are plenty out there with comparable specs in that price range.

I did ask why I would buy more hardware which is inferior to what I already have (like my Nexus 10, my HTC DNA, or my GS4). Make sense?

EDIT: Out of curiosity, I spent 2 minutes on Amazon and found:

Acer Iconia A110 7in

Last edited:

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
The a110 is 1.2ghz as opposed to the ouyas 1.7 and has no HDMI out yet costs nearly twice as more as an ouya.

Face it. You cannot find a device as powerful as the ouya at that price. The only tablets which come close for performance cost far more than the ouya does.

Reactions: GizmoTheGreen

htc-rocks

May 20, 2010
Add to that the fact that the controller, which I think is great by the way, accounts for almost half of the cost of the system.
Also, I've tried linking phones and tablets to a tv by hdmi before and the results are usually poor.
My SE Arc S was ok for picture quality but the lag was a joke for gaming. The picture quality after linking my Note 2 to my tv via hdmi is terrible full stop.
Alot of Ouyas critics say that you can "just" link your phone/tablet to a tv and away you go. I wonder how many people have who say that actually tried "just" doing that and were happy with the results? I tried it and find the ouya a much more elegant solution.

And this forum is quiet because next to nobody has an Ouya yet, fairly obvious?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

coachclass

Jun 18, 2011
Let the flaming begin if it must.

I don't think most people on this forum would flame you for disagreeing with them. This is technology, not politics. We're more sophisticated.

After reading more about the Ouya (the good and the bad), I pre-order it. If you take the Ouya as advertised, it might not be very impressive strictly as a gaming rig. But, as a media consumption device, it's head and shoulders above anything out there so far. To me, the gaming aspect is the cherry on top.

Ok, so let's say you're right. They're likely able to sell the hardware that cheap because they're getting it practically free (it's already basically obsolete hardware which is half my point). Why buy another device, that's already obsolete, to play games I could play on my newer, better devices?

...that are more powerful than the Ouya, can also be paired with any number of controls, connected to their TVs, and run all the same games Ouya can.

Why buy another device (even if it's "only" $100) that's inferior hardware? :)

For use as an "Open Google TV-type" hardware platform, I would be interested but my Vizio Co-Star...even with it's weaker specs

It seems like you're dismissing the Ouya for it's obsolete hardware, but not dismissing your Vizio for an even more obsolete hardware. That seems like a double standard. Many people do not already have a media player, much less the Vizio. And the Ouya is, even in its pre-retail state, a much more capable device than your Vizio. Just having XBMC is worth the upgrade if I were in your situation.

You don't need bleeding edge CPU to do media. Whether the hardware is obsolete or not is kind of irrelevant. The difference between the graphics chip on Tegra 2 and Tegra 3 is important for HD decoding, and Tegra 2 is precisely what most people own today.

There may be more capable phones/tablets out there but most people today have older tablets/phones, and who seriously uses their phone/tablet's HDMI out on their 46" TV on a regular basis? I've done it at a hotel once, but that's it. It's silly, and an odd form of device worship, if you're sitting on your couch watching TV and movies on a 10" tablet when there's a perfectly good 46" TV in the room. Having to plug in a phone/tablet on your TV everytime you want to watch the TV seems like a poor solution. You have a $200 phone dinging off a $900 TV, which you have to unplug when someone calls you. Hope you remember to turn down the ring tone, lol.

Aside from phone/tablets, there are similar Ouya devices available on the market, but none of them are as good as the Ouya. There's the cheap $50 Android sticks, but no Ethernet and often poor wifi, as well as performance issues. There's a few $100 android setup boxes, very similar to the Ouya, but currently they're all dual-core machines (Ouya is a high-bin quadcore) with some HD playback issues, and don't come with a nice controller or the latest bluetooth 4.0 for lower power peripherals. And the companies that back these devices are all in China, so you're not likely going to get warranty or replacement if you get a dud. These devices also don't have the development community behind it. Since your'e in XDA, I don't need to mention how much the development community can make a device better.

I know quite a few people who don't have a computer connected to their TV simply because they can't do it in a practical way. Personally, I have a PC running windows connected to my TV. But I also use the PC for everyday type stuff. It's not convenient for me to make the PC auto start XBMC on boot, for example. My PC is way more capable than the Ouya. Heck, my PC will wipe the floor with the latest mobile processor, but it's not the processing power that I need. What I need is a computer that can be dedicated for a media consumption interface, that's easy for the rest of the family to use. I could setup another PC, but that'll be more expensive and it would consume much more energy and use up valuable space in an already cluttered area. The Ouya has just enough processing capability, is cheaper than anything out there for the same price, and it's small, and has all the features.

rainabba said:
(by the way, 1GB of ram for an "Android gaming console" is laughable when it's meant to serve 1080p gaming).

My original point stands. The Ouya, as a gaming platform, is little more than a scam or pet-project and the latter is fine by me so long as they're honest about it.

I think the success fo the Wii and mobile apps proves that there is a market for simple, fun games. The gaming public isn't only composed of hardcore gamers. From an academic standpoint, you could view Ouya solely as a gaming platform. But when people are buying the Ouya, they're not being academics. They're looking at ALL the things it can do with it. Why not assess the Ouya's potential success based on the full range of its capabilities rather than limiting it to just games?

As for your disagreement; of course you disagree. As you said, you're a backer and the reality is that unless you're part of a very small minority of people on this planet, you now have to contend with cognitive dissonance and all my logic and rational arguments mean nothing in light of that :)

Here, I will flame a little bit.

Cognitive dissonance works both ways. You said it yourself that you predicted Ouya to be a failure, so you're going to jump on the chance to validate your initial opinion, just as the Ouya backers would defend their initial decision. The difference is that if you're wrong, you have a very narrow window of opportunity to do this validation, and that window closes after the retail release.

Last edited:

coachclass

Jun 18, 2011
At that price it would make a neat little media centre in my opinion, if not for the fact my main pc is connected to the tv already.

I also have my main PC connected to the TV. It was awesome, and it's still great. But after I tried XBMC and saw how absolutely pretty it was, how much fun it could be to pick out movies/TV shows, I'm now dissatisfied with not having a dedicated XBMC setup.

Windows explorer is just not a very good way to pick media. I'm always the one that has to go through the folders and tell my wife what's available, and then she'll ask what that movie is about, and then I'd have to IMDB it. All that is done automatically with XBMC, with pretty backdrops. It feels like Redbox/netflix interface that's easy to navigate from your couch.

Maybe I'm spoiled. I have all the capability I need, but now I want a better, more polished interface.

Reactions: thatdavekid

madmofo145

May 2, 2013
It seems like you're dismissing the Ouya for it's obsolete hardware, but not dismissing your Vizio for an even more obsolete hardware. That seems like a double standard. Many people do not already have a media player, much less the Vizio. And the Ouya is, even in its pre-retail state, a much more capable device than your Vizio. Just having XBMC is worth the upgrade if I were in your situation.

I think this is the main point that, my girlfriend has a roku, it does what it does fine but it's far from perfect. If we get official Netflix support among some other media services, optimized for the Ouya, then combined with XBMC this blows her roku out of the water. This is not a tablet replacement, this is a box which will permanently attach to a TV, that will compete with other boxes that do that, and right now this is the highest speced, most open version of that kind of technology out there.

rainabba

Mar 16, 2008
Now we're talking!

I don't think most people on this forum would flame you for disagreeing with them. This is technology, not politics. We're more sophisticated.

Cognitive dissonance works both ways. You said it yourself that you predicted Ouya to be a failure, so you're going to jump on the chance to validate your initial opinion, just as the Ouya backers would defend their initial decision. The difference is that if you're wrong, you have a very narrow window of opportunity to do this validation, and that window closes after the retail release.

On your first point, I would disagree based on it being a generalization. I agree that there are many here who don't flame and a few like yourself and I who can have civilized discussions even when disagreeing, but there are more than enough that will flame for just about anything that I wouldn't dare sound as optimistic as you in that regard.

That is where I stop disagreeing with you though. You make many good points, especially when taken together. I would say though, that if you're going to be totally honest, you have to agree that the Ouya is being marketed as a gaming console and from that perspective, I think my point stands pretty well. For those who buy the Ouya as a more versatile device, I will agree that it's a good deal and my perspective has been shifted on that point.

Still, it is being marketed as a gaming console, and based on everything I've said so far, I still think it will fail. If they change the marketing strategy to play to all it's other strong points as well (if not more), then I'd now say that it has a good chance at succeeding or at least being the best "Google TV[ish]" device out there. If I could use the Co-Star remote with it (which is BT), then I might consider it. If it had HDMI pass-through like the Co-Star, I'd likely buy one just to play with it but then again, that's the hacker mentality which doesn't represent most people and for those it does represent, I come back to the same question; why when I can do it all with my N10 or GS4 (obviously not the HDMI pass-thru because neither the Ouya or the others have it).

I also agree about the casual gamers, but then the Ooya represents an unknown so potential customers will more often lean toward the Wii which is a known, or stick with their PC. If they're casual and not "hard-core", they aren't going to buy a new, unproven device, for their TV when they can play for free all day long everywhere else. That's just a hard area to break into right now (like smartphones). Even if the Ouya was fantastic, it still faces that challenge and this is where you must separate the merits of the Ouya, from the reality of the marketplace and also compare it to other options in the context of the potential customer.

As for your last point, I say bravo for that insight. Of course, the fact that I would "jump on the chance to validate your initial opinion" as I see it proving to be true from my perspective doesn't mean that it makes my opinion any less valid; rather only that my motivation might be more complex. :)

In summary, you make some excellent points and have swayed aspects of my opinion a bit, but as I see it, the Ouya is being marketed as a gaming console and as such, I see every reason to expect it will fail to thrive as such. Being an Android device, it has other merits which could help it become successful IF it's marketed correctly. In any case, I don't think anyone can say that this forum isn't dead as far as forums on XDA go, especially for devices in a relatively new and unique category. I'd be happy to be proven wrong as a fan of Android and innovation.

This is the type of conversation I hoped (but didn't expect) to see come of my post :)

Reactions: cybercookie72

rainabba

Mar 16, 2008
I think this is the main point that, my girlfriend has a roku, it does what it does fine but it's far from perfect. If we get official Netflix support among some other media services, optimized for the Ouya, then combined with XBMC this blows her roku out of the water. This is not a tablet replacement, this is a box which will permanently attach to a TV, that will compete with other boxes that do that, and right now this is the highest speced, most open version of that kind of technology out there.

I'm going to use your post to clarify something. I never said the Ouya was or should be a tablet replacement but I've seen a few posts that seem to imply I said something like that.

What I've said, is that if someone already owns a powerful Android device (doesn't matter if it even has a screen, let alone be a tablet) that has BT and HDMI, then the Ouya seems like wasted money because I can connect a controller to such a device, connect it to my TV and game (or watch Netflix, Vudu, etc....). It would be another device to buy, install maintain, and depreciate rapidly. If I use another device which I have already purchased, maintain, and will get updated, then I spend less money, do less work, and continue to be able to do all the things the Ouya does, but better.

Regardless of how amazing the Ouya is and how cheap they've made it (even if it was free), all these points stand on their own. Having to set my device down and plug it in is not exactly an effort compared to the money, space, and setup time (and the cycle which must keep happening to upgrade the Ouya as apps evolve and require more powerful hardware. My phone and tablet already get upgraded/purchased, maintained, etc... because they're key to my daily flow.

What can the Ouya do that I cannot already do with them? I guess that's the bottom line.

Hope that clears any confusion regarding mentions of tablets related to my posts.

GizmoTheGreen

Jun 13, 2010
Ouya
Google Nexus 5
I'm going to use your post to clarify something. I never said the Ouya was or should be a tablet replacement but I've seen a few posts that seem to imply I said something like that.

What I've said, is that if someone already owns a powerful Android device (doesn't matter if it even has a screen, let alone be a tablet) that has BT and HDMI, then the Ouya seems like wasted money because I can connect a controller to such a device, connect it to my TV and game (or watch Netflix, Vudu, etc....). It would be another device to buy, install maintain, and depreciate rapidly. If I use another device which I have already purchased, maintain, and will get updated, then I spend less money, do less work, and continue to be able to do all the things the Ouya does, but better.

Regardless of how amazing the Ouya is and how cheap they've made it (even if it was free), all these points stand on their own. Having to set my device down and plug it in is not exactly an effort compared to the money, space, and setup time (and the cycle which must keep happening to upgrade the Ouya as apps evolve and require more powerful hardware. My phone and tablet already get upgraded/purchased, maintained, etc... because they're key to my daily flow.

What can the Ouya do that I cannot already do with them? I guess that's the bottom line.

Hope that clears any confusion regarding mentions of tablets related to my posts.

A controller, and exclusive, or exclusive versions of, games that support it. it's a console, a smooth experience as such, not a hacked together setup with a phone or tablet attached to a tv with special apps to allow gamepad input into games that are mainly touch input based.

it's a console, that's what differentiates it, and it has exclusive games and excited developers (read: companies) that back it and develop games for it, some are already done (over a 100?) and others are still in the works. and more will come. not to mention alot of games works already

(ofcourse you can still play touch based games with a mouse, I played Valkyrie Crusade yesterday and it's a much better experience than on a tablet for the same price.

and thanks to the price it's a very attractive device.

asanz00

Mar 14, 2010
For me and for what im investigating now, ouya is not just a console, i think it is also a media manager for tv, you can also use nearly all android programs and also is compatible with all usb devices i have tried for now.

coachclass

Jun 18, 2011
For me and for what im investigating now, ouya is not just a console, i think it is also a media manager for tv, you can also use nearly all android programs and also is compatible with all usb devices i have tried for now.

Part of the reason why the Ouya is marketed as a gaming console is because if it were marketed as a media player, most people won't know what the hell to do with it.

If you look at the Roku, it's markted as a "youtube, netflix, hulu" player. The general public need specifics - "media player" is too vague. It's like marketing the Ouya as a "computer" - that would be way more accurate a description, but people wouldn't know what to do with it.

But when something like the Roku is marketed as a netflix, hulu. etc.. player, it also comes with limitations. Roku is ONLY a netflix, hulu, youtube player, nothing MORE.

asanz00

Mar 14, 2010
Yap, one thing is how is marked to match with public and another thing is what you can do with it

gfdsaorg

Jul 24, 2010
I've voted with my wallet for ouya as idea. If another similar idea pops up on kickstarter I'll do that again. I have two small kids that like to spend time playing and they are too small to spend hours in one game. Giving them a console full of simple, free or cheap games does just what they need.

And whoever is playing black ops or whatever creeds every night with friends and a $200 headset probably should go and by himself the new Xbox and some $50+ games.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

Prodepressiva

Nov 6, 2010
the forum is only dead because not every backer has its OUYA yet.
We in Germany just got ours this week.

And it already made me spend 20$ on games in 2 days so for me what they are doing is working.

rainabba

Mar 16, 2008
I'm wondering if this guy is following this thread :)

This is pretty revealing too. Where's all the media-player-type functionality (or did I miss something significant)?

The Old One

Dec 4, 2010
Indio
I'm unlikely to spend $600 every year upgrading my droid 4 or tablet to run new apps but I could spend $100 on ney ouya. I could also overclock the ouya and hook up a bigger better heatsink/fan to keep up and can't do that on my phone/tablet.

Sent from my rooted Nook HD+

Reactions: cybercookie72

Kaos2K

Jun 3, 2013
Because this device is a waste of money. I have to say "told you so" here (though I doubt anyone here actually heard me say it) because this is exactly what I said would happen. The Ouya is pointless because the majority of people interested in this product likely already have other Android devices that are just as, if not more capable.

The forums are going to be more dead than the sales because the people who can/would hack such a device, can spend their time being far more productive on modern phones/tablets that do more than the Ouya and are at least comparable in power.

I think Ouya should admit their flawed logic and do something for the community that funded them on Kickstarter. I'm not one and have no personal stake but I do feel they took advantage of the Android community.

If you disagree with me, you're welcome to your opinion, but the facts can't be ignored.

Time will prove you are totally wrong...

johnq54

Jul 5, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
I just got my shipping notice yesterday. How can you call this forum dead when the community will probably double in the next month?

Come mid July, if you can make this same argument, I'll listen.

Eujin

Aug 16, 2007
My Ouya, as of friday, has become a You Don't Know Jack device.

And what's better, it's not even the weird Facebook YDKJ that got released for android. The Ouya version is pretty much identical to the PS3 version.

Also, if you load XMBC or Plex on it, it works as a fantastic media player. (You'll want the beta version of XMBC with hardware acceleration, once you've got that, 1080p video plays perfect, even streamed.)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't really agree, I think it's a really good product, it's much cheaper than a phone and allows those with bad economy to still be able to enjoy the high end games from the android world. not to mention without the hassle of getting a gaming controller hooked up and/or video out, not all phones have it.

also the forum is not dead, there's been plenty of activity considering how many have the ouya at the time of writing o_O we already have a CWM port. roms are in the works. we have root/superuser app guides and XBMC apk sideloading. for 99 usd it's definately worth it.
    Because this device is a waste of money. I have to say "told you so" here (though I doubt anyone here actually heard me say it) because this is exactly what I said would happen. The Ouya is pointless because the majority of people interested in this product likely already have other Android devices that are just as, if not more capable.

The forums are going to be more dead than the sales because the people who can/would hack such a device, can spend their time being far more productive on modern phones/tablets that do more than the Ouya and are at least comparable in power.

I think Ouya should admit their flawed logic and do something for the community that funded them on Kickstarter. I'm not one and have no personal stake but I do feel they took advantage of the Android community.

If you disagree with me, you're welcome to your opinion, but the facts can't be ignored.

My phone is a phone, perhaps you don't get many phone calls or text messages, fortunately I do.

If I did want to use my phone as a console I would have to buy a hdmi adapter,hdmi cable and a controller. So the economic argument doesn't hold any water.

No need to flame, your logic is flawed and your research non existent.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Well you also are entitled to your opinion, but as one of those people who "can/would hack such a device", I've gotta say you're wrong on that particular "fact". Development is limited to a few individuals, but we're moving full steam ahead, already have CWM working thanks to mybook4 and I just minutes ago finished building my first Alpha of CM10. So before you pop in just to troll, how about you do just a little bit of poking in the development section so you know what you're talking about. I was surprised to see this post was from you, I thought a veteran like yourself would be more open minded.

Wow...I dunno about flaming, but as one of the backers I've got to disagree totally. Other than getting my Ouya a wee bit later than I would have expected, I'm quite satisfied with mine and my experience with it. I think that once it hits retail and more folks actually HAVE the device then activity on these forums will pick up. At 99 bucks it is a very afordable tinkering device.

I've no clue where you get the logic that they took advantage of or owe anything to the community. Backers paid their money and have either already received their Ouya or will shortly. Any rough edges with the software will (hopefully) mostly be smoothed out by the time the device hits actual retail. Remember those of us who have it are pretty much beta testers right now.

Heck...I like mine so much I'm kind of regretting not backing a 2nd unit or the limited edition one!

After reading more about the Ouya (the good and the bad), I pre-order it. If you take the Ouya as advertised, it might not be very impressive strictly as a gaming rig. But, as a media consumption device, it's head and shoulders above anything out there so far. To me, the gaming aspect is the cherry on top.

Ok, so let's say you're right. They're likely able to sell the hardware that cheap because they're getting it practically free (it's already basically obsolete hardware which is half my point). Why buy another device, that's already obsolete, to play games I could play on my newer, better devices?

...that are more powerful than the Ouya, can also be paired with any number of controls, connected to their TVs, and run all the same games Ouya can.

Why buy another device (even if it's "only" $100) that's inferior hardware? :)

For use as an "Open Google TV-type" hardware platform, I would be interested but my Vizio Co-Star...even with it's weaker specs

You don't need bleeding edge CPU to do media. Whether the hardware is obsolete or not is kind of irrelevant. The difference between the graphics chip on Tegra 2 and Tegra 3 is important for HD decoding, and Tegra 2 is precisely what most people own today.

There may be more capable phones/tablets out there but most people today have older tablets/phones, and who seriously uses their phone/tablet's HDMI out on their 46" TV on a regular basis? I've done it at a hotel once, but that's it. It's silly, and an odd form of device worship, if you're sitting on your couch watching TV and movies on a 10" tablet when there's a perfectly good 46" TV in the room. Having to plug in a phone/tablet on your TV everytime you want to watch the TV seems like a poor solution. You have a $200 phone dinging off a $900 TV, which you have to unplug when someone calls you. Hope you remember to turn down the ring tone, lol.

Aside from phone/tablets, there are similar Ouya devices available on the market, but none of them are as good as the Ouya. There's the cheap $50 Android sticks, but no Ethernet and often poor wifi, as well as performance issues. There's a few $100 android setup boxes, very similar to the Ouya, but currently they're all dual-core machines (Ouya is a high-bin quadcore) with some HD playback issues, and don't come with a nice controller or the latest bluetooth 4.0 for lower power peripherals. And the companies that back these devices are all in China, so you're not likely going to get warranty or replacement if you get a dud. These devices also don't have the development community behind it. Since your'e in XDA, I don't need to mention how much the development community can make a device better.

I know quite a few people who don't have a computer connected to their TV simply because they can't do it in a practical way. Personally, I have a PC running windows connected to my TV. But I also use the PC for everyday type stuff. It's not convenient for me to make the PC auto start XBMC on boot, for example. My PC is way more capable than the Ouya. Heck, my PC will wipe the floor with the latest mobile processor, but it's not the processing power that I need. What I need is a computer that can be dedicated for a media consumption interface, that's easy for the rest of the family to use. I could setup another PC, but that'll be more expensive and it would consume much more energy and use up valuable space in an already cluttered area. The Ouya has just enough processing capability, is cheaper than anything out there for the same price, and it's small, and has all the features.

rainabba said:
    (by the way, 1GB of ram for an "Android gaming console" is laughable when it's meant to serve 1080p gaming).

My original point stands. The Ouya, as a gaming platform, is little more than a scam or pet-project and the latter is fine by me so long as they're honest about it.

I think the success fo the Wii and mobile apps proves that there is a market for simple, fun games. The gaming public isn't only composed of hardcore gamers. From an academic standpoint, you could view Ouya solely as a gaming platform. But when people are buying the Ouya, they're not being academics. They're looking at ALL the things it can do with it. Why not assess the Ouya's potential success based on the full range of its capabilities rather than limiting it to just games?

As for your disagreement; of course you disagree. As you said, you're a backer and the reality is that unless you're part of a very small minority of people on this planet, you now have to contend with cognitive dissonance and all my logic and rational arguments mean nothing in light of that :)