[Q] S3 using 20GB of System Memory! What is going on?

Search This thread

lvpre

Jun 23, 2011
Is flashing a custom ROM going to trip knox if I keep stock recovery?

If a hard reset and flashing stock ROM doesn't clear this problem up I'm not convinced that flashing a different ROM is going to fix this. As strange as it sounds it seems to me like I have a hardware problem.

I'm happy enough with the stock ROM and don't feel like spending hours researching all the ROM options. Can anyone recommend the most stable alternate ROM for the S3? And I don't just mean stable as in it doesn't crash, I mean stable as in everything works as it should - camera, GPS, screen rotation, wifi, bluetooth, etc.

When I'm in stock recovery why do I have the android guy laying on his back with a red exclamation mark and the message "no command?" Is this normal for a stock rooted phone?

Search the play store for an app called diskusage. I had a strange hidden file in that was taking up a ton of space that did absolutely nothing. I believe it was in my dcim folder. Also, check music caches and other programs if you have them. But it could be a hidden file in a folder that went rouge.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

bilgerryan

Inactive Recognized Developer
Yes it's normal for stock recovery. You can't flash anything from stock recovery and flashing a custom recovery will trip Knox.

BILGERRYAN-SIG_zps5b0983a1.png

uscpsycho

Mar 25, 2011
Search the play store for an app called diskusage. I had a strange hidden file in that was taking up a ton of space that did absolutely nothing. I believe it was in my dcim folder. Also, check music caches and other programs if you have them. But it could be a hidden file in a folder that went rouge.

Just tried that. I don't think this scans system memory though, just available internal storage. Because my system memory usage is at 20GB all I have left is 12GB for available memory and these memory scanning apps only seem to scan the available memory. That is not where the problem is. I'd love to be able to see what the heck is taking so much storage in the system memory, does anything scan system memory for huge files? If diskusage can do it I might be doing something wrong.

Yes it's normal for stock recovery. You can't flash anything from stock recovery and flashing a custom recovery will trip Knox.

Can't I flash a ROM from Odin without tripping Knox?

bilgerryan

Inactive Recognized Developer
[quote name="lvpre" post=51190913]Search the play store for an app called diskusage. I had a strange hidden file in that was taking up a ton of space that did absolutely nothing. I believe it was in my dcim folder. Also, check music caches and other programs if you have them. But it could be a hidden file in a folder that went rouge.

Just tried that. I don't think this scans system memory though, just available internal storage. Because my system memory usage is at 20GB all I have left is 12GB for available memory and these memory scanning apps only seem to scan the available memory. That is not where the problem is. I'd love to be able to see what the heck is taking so much storage in the system memory, does anything scan system memory for huge files? If diskusage can do it I might be doing something wrong.

[quote name="bilgerryan" post=51191114]Yes it's normal for stock recovery. You can't flash anything from stock recovery and flashing a custom recovery will trip Knox.[/QUOTE]

Can't I flash a ROM from Odin without tripping Knox?[/QUOTE]
The stock MK3 ROM lol... Once you got it you're stick with it. I just tripped mine, I own my device so I don't care... I've seen some people mention a computer program called SafeStrap I believe, to do things without tripping Knox... I actually had to do a warranty replacement and they didn't even check the warranty bit, but to each his own.

BILGERRYAN-SIG_zps5b0983a1.png

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You might want to try an app like SD Maid. It has an option to find large files, and it can clean up all the cruft that collects over time.
    Before I installed a new rom and kernel, I was showing like 13gigs of memory use. What I did was formatted my system, data, and storage, and I ended up with 9 gigs of available storage after installing everything. Of course everything is backed up so I had nothing to worry about.

sent from my Wicked GS3