Thanks Meter: 9

By clockwork.satan, Member on 26th April 2014, 11:20 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
29th April 2014, 01:22 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 268

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork.satan

Ok, so I completely taken my M8 back to scratch tonight and done a factory reset... And guess what? IT'S STILL DOING IT!

Surely there must be someone out there that's seen this before?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app

I would try someone else's router before saying it's your phone. Also try different server on speedtest. Maybe there is something with your specific router that doesn't get along with the n_ac chip in your phone. Mine pulls 88mbit on my 105mb line. I have 2 year old airport extreme. It actually didn't work well in the past with my gs4 but a firmware update fixed it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

30th April 2014, 11:38 AM |#12  
Flag Gothenburg
Thanks Meter: 1,319

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Ok, so I completely taken my M8 back to scratch tonight and done a factory reset... And guess what? IT'S STILL DOING IT!

Hi @clockwork.satan

I'm in the same boat as you but with a different device (Sony Xperia Z Ultra GPE)

The speed is around 30Mbps on my desktop but only 3Mbps on my device.

The thing is, that this happens at home not on other routers I tried. So my conclusion is that it's something in the router.

You should try it too, test your connection on someone else's router to exclude the device from being the problem.
28th April 2015, 01:14 AM |#13  
Flag Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 0

More
same issue
Quote:

I have the exact same issue. Same issue on multiple routers. Gets up to 20 mbs then Halfway though the test rapidly drops down to 1.4 mbs. Lte is 30-40mbs consistently. Can't figure it out.
28th May 2015, 03:40 PM |#14  
Flag OP
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hi Guys, any solutions on this ? I have also M8 and yestarday i ahve discovered the same issue
1st July 2015, 06:25 PM |#15  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aazmath

Hi Guys, any solutions on this ? I have also M8 and yestarday i ahve discovered the same issue

I've managed to sort this by enabling 5 GHz frequency on my router then connecting the phone to the 5 GHz frequency. I had disabled it a while ago for some reason and thought id give it a go. My WiFi speeds on the phone were 0.8 to 3 on the 2.4 GHz and are now averaging 90Mbps!! Download.
9th July 2015, 12:28 AM |#16  

More
Same Issue!
Ive been having the exact same issue for months now. Swapped routers, changed channel and frequency. Tried different networks (work, home, friends, mobile hotspots) and factory reset twice. Nothing works. It is definitely the M8 with an issue but I can't pinpoint why. The only thing that works is disabling WiFi on the M8 and re-establishing a connection but this works for a whole of about 30 seconds before my speed drops again. I've resorted to sticking to 4g until a solution is found. Someone surely has to have an answer.
10th September 2015, 01:48 AM |#17  

More
I'm having the same issue. Anybody else have any advice.
7th May 2016, 02:01 PM |#18  
Flag Ontario

More
I thought I'd add I am having the same issue with my M8 I just got the other day. Download speeds won't break about 2Mbps!!! Upload sppeds seem unaffected (but they are slow anyways here @ 4Mbps) All my other phones/pcs would run about 32-33Mbps on wireless via my 35Mbps connection, including my old M8.

I noticed if I turn airplane mode on and then off, the download speeds return to normal for a short while, then revert to the 2Mbps downloads I have tried factory reset of both router and phone. Clearing cache on phone, etc, to no avail... I am running Android 6.0 (6.13.631.7)

I'd love to figure this out. This phone is mint that I got and this is the only issue, so would hate to get rid of it due to this...

Should I just ask here or make my own thread on this?
9th May 2016, 12:16 AM |#19  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 4,189

More
LOL
It's not the phone. Download speeds shown in speedtest are just for the potential. There are still the upload speeds to deal with from where you are downloading from. 2mbps are normal.

Do this:
Go to a torrent site on you PC/laptop and download a movie that has a lot of seeders. (or download something from pretty much anywhere you feel like downloading from)
Check the download speeds. If you are getting 30mbps, then it is a miracle! Chances are it'll be around 2mbps at its peak.
It's not the phone.
9th May 2016, 12:19 AM |#20  
Flag Ontario

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xunholyx

It's not the phone. Download speeds shown in speedtest are just for the potential. There are still the upload speeds to deal with from where you are downloading from. 2mbps are normal.

Do this:
Go to a torrent site on you PC/laptop and download a movie that has a lot of seeders. (or download something from pretty much anywhere you feel like downloading from)
Check the download speeds. If you are getting 30mbps, then it is a miracle! Chances are it'll be around 2mbps at its peak.
It's not the phone.

Every phone I've owned in the past few years (including my old M8) has shown the same speeds for wifi (35/5 connection shows about 32-33/4). It's the phone.
9th May 2016, 12:29 AM |#21  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 4,189

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusLSC

Every phone I've owned in the past few years has shown the same speeds for wifi (35/5 connection shows about 32-33/4). It's the phone.

Yes. I understand now that I have re-read the OP. It is what speedtest is showing and not actual download speeds in action.
You posted before I could edit my post.

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

Quote:

Hey guys, in hoping that someone can help as I'm pulling my hair out over this.

I just got my M8 a couple of days ago.but am experiencing problems with the Wi-Fi download speeds. I've got a 30meg connection at home which is working perfectly fine (I have tested this by running speed tests from multiple devices, including my old HTC One X and my partner's Xperia Z) and they all do the test at maximum speed. The problem is that my new M8 gets results of between 3 and 5mbps on the same speed test (By Ookla). I have not changed any of the settings and don't have any power management apps or anything that's likely to do this.

If I disconnect and reconnect to my router, the speed test results get the expected download speeds for a short while, but then return to the slow ones.

Any ideas??

You just got it? From a resale or new? I'll guess resale here.
I would suggest running the appropriate RUU to clear up everything and get back to stock settings. It's impossible to tell what the previous owner has done to it to cause this without having the device in my hands. RUU would be a quick and easy solution.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)