[DEV] [BOTH] ubuntu on Galaxy Tab (natively)

Search This thread

gtUnix

Nov 24, 2009
UPDATE:

WHAT'S WORKING:
1. ADB
2. X11
3. TOUCH SCREEN (use modified mtev driver)
4. dual boot (android & Debian)

not tried:
1. Wifi
2. bluetooth

not working:
1. screen on/off by hard keys
2. 2g/3g networking
3. usb-host

i'm enjoying my long holidays these days & only have limited internet access.

i planed to make the usb-host
and other things work, but it's too bad that my mobile harddisk became broken suddenly when i was builing the kernel. so that all my kernel source lost, and i have to pause the devel process.

the kernel i use is based on overcome.

i will post the config & scripts once i come back from my holiday

Sent from my LG-P990 using XDA App

c0nvict

May 2, 2009
Argyroupoli
UPDATE:

WHAT'S WORKING:
1. ADB
2. X11

not tried:
1. Wifi
2. bluetooth

not working:
2. 2g/3g networking
3. usb-host

and other things work, but it's too bad that my mobile harddisk became broken suddenly when i was builing the kernel. so that all my kernel source lost, and i have to pause the devel process.

WOW man you are a semi-god. I'm looking forward to dual boot my tab with android and a fully working ubuntu distro, keep up the good work

A

acubens

Well, It is possible to run Ubuntu on Android. No hacking required, just follow the official Ubuntu guide (when it becomes available)
For more info check this pages
http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android
http://tweakers.net/nieuws/80186/canonical-onthult-ubuntu-for-android-project.html#reacties
The latter page is in Dutch, but there you can watch video in English

looks cool, hope there is a way to get it running on our tab as the tab has a single core proc ....

lardman

Oct 20, 2007
Bath
I've been away (baby & v. busy at work) for a while, but it's nice to see some progress has been made.

Wifi certainly works, I'll dig out the appropriate commands that need to be passed to the kernel module when it's loaded.

Regarding Ubuntu for Android, that page is IMO full of waffle and not much detail - how is it supposed to work? Virtualisation using Android on a single core and Ubuntu on the other? Or does the device reboot into full Ubuntu? Or is it a case of using e.g. VNC?

If there are any more details/links I'd be interested to see them.

l2tp

Jan 23, 2007
gtUnix and all, where can I download the latest image? It seems that link in first post is outdated, isn't it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have been working on getting ubuntu running natively with the netbook gui (unity) on the galaxy tab (7" touch display at this resolution is ideal). Kernel and filesystem are almost complete, but I need one last piece of the puzzle, if anyone has the galaxy tab hardware keyboard and know how to flash a kernel with heimdall could they join irc.droid-life.com/#modadroid-galaxy-tablet and catch my attention (lilstevie there too)

Here is a screenshot of netbook-launcher-efl running on the tab

Ubuntu Desktop 2D

LXDE

e17 Illume-home (phone/tablet)

EDIT1: Ubuntu is now booting into a shell more coming soon :)

EDIT2: screen shot :)

EDIT3: added 2 extra screenshots

EDIT4: updated name to follow new rules.
    Coming soon is a CDMA kernel and Images
    I have Ubuntu Oneiric Ocelot booting on the Tab using the Gingerbread kernel, but currently just to a login prompt (segfault in the X server). In fact while installing deps needed to compile mtev I managed to break Upstart somehow too, so I need to look into why that happened.

I did specifically make sure that I noted down everything I did along the way, which I'll write up fully when I get a spare minute perhaps this weekend and distribute here for people to try out and help with the process.

Then I'll continue work on the segfault, etc.

P.S. I also have Meego/Nemo booting, but have stopped working on that temporarily as it requires working OpenGL-ES drivers to make the UI usable. I'm planning to have Ubuntu as a usable system while I mess about with the drivers and other devices, before eventually going back to Nemo (basically as the apps will be better suited to a capacitive screen).
    Kernel Image 0.1 POC - 2.6.32.9 (non update1 international kernel):
    this should work for all GSM devices:

Internal SD (mmcblk0p3) install:
    mmcblk0p3
    why dont you do it then ??

because of asswipes like you who seem to think you are just entitled to it.

also if you didn't notice, that is the one part that I have actually supplied
    UPDATE:

WHAT'S WORKING:
    1. ADB
    2. X11

not tried:
    1. Wifi
    2. bluetooth

not working:
    2. 2g/3g networking
    3. usb-host