UPDATED: [ROOT] How to Install the Google Play Store on Stock 4.5.5.1 -Thor

Search This thread

Luxen

Apr 6, 2013
After this little adventure, I went into further testing. There is now a much simpler method of installing the Google Play Store. Fully functional. Two methods to be exact, and an experimental one.

Method 1) -Recommended if you have Safetrap 4.01
Make sure you have SuperUser (Not tested with Kingroot)
and you are running 4.5.5.1 (It'll probably work in earlier versions.)
Note: I have Superuser installed as a system app for safety.
My device is a Kindle Fire Hdx 7" (3rd gen) Thor.

-You need Safetrap (or head to method 2 for a non safe-trap procedure)
-You need to be rooted
-And you need to download from Open GApps (Platform: ARM Android: 4.4 Variant: Pico < Smallest package)

First, you must make space in System/Priv-app to flash this little package. (< There's no way around this)
I deleted [ moffice, weather, and the android.mail.apk ] (I do not need those. I actually do not need a lot of the amazon services except for books.)

Reboot into Safetrap and flash/Install the opengapps package.
Wipe Dalvik/Cache. Reboot
> If you get a "Failed" - It means you need to delete more apps.
Make sure the message reads "Insufficient space, etc" and not "incompatible,"

If you are successful, reboot.
Open the Google Play Store and simply sign in with your account. You are done.
I haven't experienced any crashing. nada.
Use Market helper for incompatible app (Although inbox by gmail isn't working for me, everything else is.)

Method 2) Recommended if you don't have Safe trap.
You might need to delete some apps from system/priv-app if you get "Insufficient space error" <For me, I didn't have to delete anything.>

You do not need Safetrap.
-You need Root and you need to follow the method described here, but with a little tweak:
Move all the apps mentioned in the guide to System/Priv-app > Account And Sync Settings, Google Services Framework, Google Login Service, and Vending.apk)
Install Google Play Services from your downloads (Normal Install) < I am using the latest ones I got off Google.>
Reboot.
Open the android market (in apps) and sign in. <
Download the latest Google Play Store (from the guide or Google)
I renamed it vending.apk for short.
Delete the vending.apk found in System/Priv-app and replace with the new one.
Reboot.
Google Play Store is functional and shouldn't crash.
--------------------------
(I highly recommend a Custom ROM. The quality and functionality can not be beaten..)

Update: Now that the kindle app on android supports exporting highlights from personal docs/side-loaded books, etc.. I've made the full switch to CM11 :)

------

Not recommended.
The method below is now experimental. I couldn't get it to reproduce after replacing Kinguser With SuperSu.
This is a fully functional Playstore. You can search, download and update :)

Tested on:
Kindle Fire HDX 7" (3rd Gen) running 4.5.5.1 w/ Kingroot

* No one is more responsible for your device than you. With that in mind, back up, read carefully, don't go the extra mile just because, and be aware there is always a risk. On to the fun stuff~

You will need:
-Root
-Safetrap v4
-All 4 apks from here (Skip all the instructions there and scroll to where it says —Then install these apks—

You also need the Google Apps Minimal Edition from here.

----INSTRUCTIONS
-Move all 4 apks to sdcard/download and install each one.
-Move your Google Apps Minimal Edition.zip to sdcard/download and keep it there.

Reboot into Safetrap.
* Make sure you have a backup of your STOCK Rom !
Go to Install > Find your Google Apps Minimal Edition.zip and install it.
From the same screen once you are done wipe dalvik/cache

Reboot.
You might run into a gray screen ? Hit the home button. It is a one time thing.
Login to your existing Google account. You'll notice the App Store will crash after a minute.
Reboot. That's it. Playstore shouldn't crash anymore.

#If it works for other devices, versions, let me know. Thank you.
I tested it on my own device, and downloaded a couple of apps. If something changes I will update this.

Update: You can find the latest Google Play Store and Services here. Uninstalling both items is necessary to install the new version then you can use ccleaner to remove any Google app that says 'newer version installed'

Last edited:

Vanb85

Apr 22, 2015
I did method 2. This absolutely worked. I'm especially pleased, because I kept seeing that I would need Safestrap and a custom ROM in order to get the Play Store on my HDX 7. So, thanks for the instructions.

talkslow4me

May 16, 2016
If I used Kingroot to root my device can I still use method 2?
Also can I use twrp instead of safestrap? I have no idea what each one does what.

I rooted my tablet (HDX 7 4.5.5.1) using Kingroot, and my ultimate goal is to use google services and youtube properly. And change the OS (Is Nexus rom a good idea?)

Thanks for any help guys.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Also can I use twrp instead of safestrap? I have no idea what each one does what.

I rooted my tablet (HDX 7 4.5.5.1) using Kingroot, and my ultimate goal is to use google services and youtube properly. And change the OS (Is Nexus rom a good idea?)

- no twrp, only safestrap v4 (which limits roms to cm11 and HDX Nexus)
- Google Services does not play well with FireOS v4. Strongly encourage custom rom if Google/YouTube is the end game
- YouTube via browser is also an option. Opera works well (as do others). Need to sideload via Opera home page or Apkmirror.

Reactions: talkslow4me

mohzean

Sep 4, 2007
Hello
I went through Method 2, but can't get google service running.
There's one step that I could not understand, moving the apk files to system/priv-ap, why do we have to do so?

Thank you

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Hello
I went through Method 2, but can't get google service running.
There's one step that I could not understand, moving the apk files to system/priv-ap, why do we have to do so?

Thank you
Google Play Services and FireOS v4 simply do not get along. This is just one of many threads that suggest an integration methodology that yields a suboptimal experience or (more commonly) a crippled device. Bite the bullet and go with Safestrap v4 and a compatible custom rom (cm11 or HDX Nexus).

mxnerd

Jul 18, 2010
Thanks Luxen!!! It works perfectly! Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7" gen 3.

I used method 1.

Installed Kingroot, SuperSU, Safestrap, removed several APKs (MOffice (WPS Office), Cannon, EPSON, HP, Weather) from System/Priv-app using Total Commander (ASTRO file manager does not work) to make spaces, applied Pico OpenGApps, wipe Dalvik/Cache, reboot.

Then boom, it just works, no errors, no nothing! Updated all google apps. Everything works!

Can't thank you enough, great jobs!

Best,

Last edited:

Luxen

Apr 6, 2013
Thanks Luxen!!! It works perfectly! Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7" gen 3.

I used method 1.

Installed Kingroot, SuperSU, Safestrap, removed several APKs (MOffice (WPS Office), Cannon, EPSON, HP, Weather) from System/Priv-app using Total Commander (ASTRO file manager does not work) to make spaces, applied Pico OpenGApps, wipe Dalvik/Cache, reboot.

Then boom, it just works, no errors, no nothing! Updated all google apps. Everything works!

Can't thank you enough, great jobs!

Best,

I am glad it worked out for you. Believe it or not, since I did method 1, I am still running my custom rom since that very day. Stable and smooth sailing.

Luxen

Apr 6, 2013
I did method 2. This absolutely worked. I'm especially pleased, because I kept seeing that I would need Safestrap and a custom ROM in order to get the Play Store on my HDX 7. So, thanks for the instructions.

This is the reason I tried to experiment with several different methods. I knew there are some users that are not interested or are too intimidated by Safetrap/Custom Roms, so I am glad it worked for you! :good:

leigh80

Jul 4, 2016
I was wondering if anyone could help me a little bit with option 2 in the op's post? I am not the most tech savvy person in the world, so I am struggling a little with it. I have Kindle HDX 7 (3rd gen). I have managed to root using Kingroot. I attempted installing Google store. Got all the files downloaded and I thought installed accurately, but it would never let me sign in. I uninstalled and was going to retry using method 2 above that says move the files to system/private app before installing. I can't figure out how to get them from download to there though. I have ES File Explorer, but downloaded the recommended WIFI Explorer Pro to see file structure on my computer. Tried dragging and dropping and that did not work. Any advice? The instructions for #2 have not been the easiest for me to follow. :(

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I was wondering if anyone could help me a little bit with option 2 in the op's post? I am not the most tech savvy person in the world, so I am struggling a little with it. I have Kindle HDX 7 (3rd gen). I have managed to root using Kingroot. I attempted installing Google store. Got all the files downloaded and I thought installed accurately, but it would never let me sign in. I uninstalled and was going to retry using method 2 above that says move the files to system/private app before installing. I can't figure out how to get them from download to there though. I have ES File Explorer, but downloaded the recommended WIFI Explorer Pro to see file structure on my computer. Tried dragging and dropping and that did not work. Any advice? The instructions for #2 have not been the easiest for me to follow. :(
Several ways to copy/move files in ES File Explorer. Perhaps easiest is to long file and scan options that pop-up (varies by version and config) for 'copy', 'move', 'copy to', etc. If nothing obvious check in 3-dot menu. Then navigate to target folder and tap 'paste'. Multiple files can be selected and copied at once.

If the files reside on your computer you should be able to copy/move using the same technique. Or simply download the directly to your device using the built-in Silk browser then move to target folder using ES File Explorer.

Might want to consider a custom ROM which has the Play Store built-in. While Amazon and Google components get along better in FireOS 5.x it is never a happy marriage with occasional glitches as versions of both change over time.

Reactions: leigh80

leigh80

Jul 4, 2016
Thank you Davey126. I will give that a try. I have debated installing a custom rom, but fear that may be a little beyond my capabilities. I am struggling enough just getting Google Play on it. :) I am use to Android, so it has been hard to adjust to how locked down the Kindle is. Maybe if I come across some instructions I can easily follow, I will finally give that a custom rom a try.

Ali Ejea Mc

Sep 14, 2014
Actually you need to turn ON the ROOT EXPLORER option from TOOLS on Es File Explorer. to do so... Tap on TOOLS > ROOT EXPLORER > MOUNT RW and then mark all 4 options on right side (under RW) and tap on OK. doing so you will be able to move, copy and delete files/apks from/to System folders.

kyoceralover

Feb 22, 2015
Hi @Luxen and everyone! I have a Kindle Fire HD 7 3rd generation running Fire OS 4.5.5 (Aug. 2015) and want to install Google Play Store on it. After searching for several hours, I can't find any worked method since all threads I found are outdated and people reported they were no longer working. I'm wondering if the method in this thread can work with my Kindle? Thank you!

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Hi @Luxen and everyone! I have a Kindle Fire HD 7 3rd generation running Fire OS 4.5.5 (Aug. 2015) and want to install Google Play Store on it. After searching for several hours, I can't find any worked method since all threads I found are outdated and people reported they were no longer working. I'm wondering if the method in this thread can work with my Kindle? Thank you!
In general Amazon and Google components do not play well on FireOS v4.x. It can be made to work...sort of...but tends to be susceptible when Play components auto update which happens frequently. A more reliable approach is to install a custom rom (CM11 or Nexus) that natively supports Google Play Framework, Services and Store.

If you opt to go this route the following thread may be of interest: http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/help/confused-partially-fire-os-to-proper-rom-t3421623

Reactions: kyoceralover

kyoceralover

Feb 22, 2015
Google Play Store for Kindle Fire HD 7 (2013) 3rd gen on Fire OS 4.5.5

In general Amazon and Google components do not play well on FireOS v4.x. It can be made to work...sort of...but tends to be susceptible when Play components auto update which happens frequently. A more reliable approach is to install a custom rom (CM11 or Nexus) that natively supports Google Play Framework, Services and Store.

If you opt to go this route the following thread may be of interest: http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/help/confused-partially-fire-os-to-proper-rom-t3421623

Great! Thank you very much! I'll try what sd_shadow suggest first

I believe that 4.5.5 can be rooted with kingroot
KingRoot thread
then see rootjunky's supersume video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O3DcpeS_Ic
or manually install supersu with a terminal emulator
http://www.w0lfdroid.com/2015/05/How...h-SuperSU.html

then flash mine to CM11/Nexus

mckev24

Apr 4, 2013
New here

I have the Fire HDX 7" 3rd gen and was wanting to make it a true Android tablet due to Amazon not updating it further. I have read post after post and I am so confused as to where to even begin. I know it needs to be rooted and a custom ROM installed, I just wish there was one place I could find step by step instructions to do so. I'd rather have Fire OS than have an usable tablet. Maybe I just need to give up trying to do it.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I have the Fire HDX 7" 3rd gen and was wanting to make it a true Android tablet due to Amazon not updating it further. I have read post after post and I am so confused as to where to even begin. I know it needs to be rooted and a custom ROM installed, I just wish there was one place I could find step by step instructions to do so. I'd rather have Fire OS than have an usable tablet. Maybe I just need to give up trying to do it.
Take a peek at this thread to get a sense of what's involved. Not a step by step guide by any means but touches on the highlights. Post back with any immediate questions.

http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/help/confused-partially-fire-os-to-proper-rom-t3421623

Reactions: mckev24

mckev24

Apr 4, 2013
Take a peek at this thread to get a sense of what's involved. Not a step by step guide by any means but touches on the highlights. Post back with any immediate questions.

http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/help/confused-partially-fire-os-to-proper-rom-t3421623
Can I download ES file explorer from the Amazonn app store or should it be downloaded elsewhere? I have downloaded and installed KingRoot, but I haven't ran it as of yet.

Also wanted to say thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Can I download ES file explorer from the Amazonn app store or should it be downloaded elsewhere? I have downloaded and installed KingRoot, but I haven't ran it as of yet.

Also wanted to say thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Not sure how current the version in the Amazon App store is. Best grab a copy from here.

Tip: If unsure post any questions you may have before acting. HDX is a touchy device; easy to brick and hard (often impossible) to recover if you stray too far off the trail. Several great folks monitor these forums and can help as needed.

Reactions: mckev24

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After this little adventure, I went into further testing. There is now a much simpler method of installing the Google Play Store. Fully functional. Two methods to be exact, and an experimental one.

Method 1) -Recommended if you have Safetrap 4.01
    Make sure you have SuperUser (Not tested with Kingroot)
    and you are running 4.5.5.1 (It'll probably work in earlier versions.)
    Note: I have Superuser installed as a system app for safety.
    My device is a Kindle Fire Hdx 7" (3rd gen) Thor.

-You need Safetrap (or head to method 2 for a non safe-trap procedure)
    -You need to be rooted
    -And you need to download from Open GApps (Platform: ARM Android: 4.4 Variant: Pico < Smallest package)

First, you must make space in System/Priv-app to flash this little package. (< There's no way around this)
    I deleted [ moffice, weather, and the android.mail.apk ] (I do not need those. I actually do not need a lot of the amazon services except for books.)

Reboot into Safetrap and flash/Install the opengapps package.
    Wipe Dalvik/Cache. Reboot
    > If you get a "Failed" - It means you need to delete more apps.
    Make sure the message reads "Insufficient space, etc" and not "incompatible,"

If you are successful, reboot.
    Open the Google Play Store and simply sign in with your account. You are done.
    I haven't experienced any crashing. nada.
    Use Market helper for incompatible app (Although inbox by gmail isn't working for me, everything else is.)

Method 2) Recommended if you don't have Safe trap.
    You might need to delete some apps from system/priv-app if you get "Insufficient space error" <For me, I didn't have to delete anything.>

You do not need Safetrap.
    -You need Root and you need to follow the method described here, but with a little tweak:
    Move all the apps mentioned in the guide to System/Priv-app > Account And Sync Settings, Google Services Framework, Google Login Service, and Vending.apk)
    Install Google Play Services from your downloads (Normal Install) < I am using the latest ones I got off Google.>
    Reboot.
    Open the android market (in apps) and sign in. <
    Download the latest Google Play Store (from the guide or Google)
    I renamed it vending.apk for short.
    Delete the vending.apk found in System/Priv-app and replace with the new one.
    Reboot.
    Google Play Store is functional and shouldn't crash.
    --------------------------
    (I highly recommend a Custom ROM. The quality and functionality can not be beaten..)

Update: Now that the kindle app on android supports exporting highlights from personal docs/side-loaded books, etc.. I've made the full switch to CM11 :)

------

Not recommended.
    The method below is now experimental. I couldn't get it to reproduce after replacing Kinguser With SuperSu.
    This is a fully functional Playstore. You can search, download and update :)

Tested on:
    Kindle Fire HDX 7" (3rd Gen) running 4.5.5.1 w/ Kingroot

* No one is more responsible for your device than you. With that in mind, back up, read carefully, don't go the extra mile just because, and be aware there is always a risk. On to the fun stuff~

You will need:
    -Root
    -Safetrap v4
    -All 4 apks from here (Skip all the instructions there and scroll to where it says —Then install these apks—

You also need the Google Apps Minimal Edition from here.

----INSTRUCTIONS
    -Move all 4 apks to sdcard/download and install each one.
    -Move your Google Apps Minimal Edition.zip to sdcard/download and keep it there.

Reboot into Safetrap.
    * Make sure you have a backup of your STOCK Rom !
    Go to Install > Find your Google Apps Minimal Edition.zip and install it.
    From the same screen once you are done wipe dalvik/cache

Reboot.
    You might run into a gray screen ? Hit the home button. It is a one time thing.
    Login to your existing Google account. You'll notice the App Store will crash after a minute.
    Reboot. That's it. Playstore shouldn't crash anymore.

#If it works for other devices, versions, let me know. Thank you.
    I tested it on my own device, and downloaded a couple of apps. If something changes I will update this.

Update: You can find the latest Google Play Store and Services here. Uninstalling both items is necessary to install the new version then you can use ccleaner to remove any Google app that says 'newer version installed'

- no twrp, only safestrap v4 (which limits roms to cm11 and HDX Nexus)
    - Google Services does not play well with FireOS v4. Strongly encourage custom rom if Google/YouTube is the end game
    - YouTube via browser is also an option. Opera works well (as do others). Need to sideload via Opera home page or Apkmirror.
    Several ways to copy/move files in ES File Explorer. Perhaps easiest is to long file and scan options that pop-up (varies by version and config) for 'copy', 'move', 'copy to', etc. If nothing obvious check in 3-dot menu. Then navigate to target folder and tap 'paste'. Multiple files can be selected and copied at once.

If the files reside on your computer you should be able to copy/move using the same technique. Or simply download the directly to your device using the built-in Silk browser then move to target folder using ES File Explorer.

Might want to consider a custom ROM which has the Play Store built-in. While Amazon and Google components get along better in FireOS 5.x it is never a happy marriage with occasional glitches as versions of both change over time.