Can detect root when you call VZW?

Search This thread

bleedingthru

Jun 1, 2011
I got a replacement a few weeks ago it came with stock kk i rooted then the stupid my verizon poped up with the modded msg i put my phone on airplane mode and flashed a rom do you think if hopefully not this phone craps out they would know i rooted? Obviously i would restore back to factory if i called or went into a store

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

chewy74

Jul 4, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Do you have an old phone to activate and use while you wait?

I had a bad kernel flash and it wiped out my efs portion and kept rebooting my phone every 5 to 10 seconds. I couldn't restore efs backup or re root and sent it to LG for repair. I just activated my gnex while I waited...

It would have been a huge headache going through Vzw.

She definitely str8 up said "it looks like your phone has been rooted" after she did her "diagnostics" when calling *611. SO... the tool exists.

The problem I have with sending it to LG for fixing is that I have to pay for shipping it, wait a week or two without a phone while they fix it, etc. With VZW, I can restore to stock and then get a phone immediatley.

UrbanBounca

Sep 17, 2010
It's not an invasion of privacy. They are protecting themselves from all of the warranty fraud that happens when people who complain about their phones try to return them under warranty.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2

It's absolutely an invasion of privacy. They can't violate your privacy to "protect themselves". That seems to be the problem with our government now, too. :silly:

1Thess523

Aug 15, 2011
Not interested in having a big argument about this, so I'm just gonna state the facts. You can do whatever you want with them.

Consider that there is nothing that becomes visible through this remote device check that could be used to identify you, personally. The unique ESN/MEID/Device ID is already in their billing system along with its usage and update history. All of this information is, in my opinion, much more unique than what is gained through the remote software.

Just because one has a sense of possession about something and desires that its information be kept to one's self doesn't mean it's defensible by privacy law. You might feel that this information *should* be private, but it is simply not defined as such by law. Complain about the ethics or morality if you wish, but it is not currently recognized as illegal.

From their Privacy Policy:
Information Collected When You Use Verizon Products and Services:
We collect information about your use of our products, services and sites. Information such as call records, websites visited, wireless location, application and feature usage, network traffic data, product and device-specific information, service options you choose, mobile and device numbers, video streaming and video packages and usage, movie rental and purchase data, FiOS TV viewership, and other similar information may be used for billing purposes, to deliver and maintain products and services, or to help you with service-related issues or questions. In addition, this information may be used for purposes such as providing you with information about product or service enhancements, determining your eligibility for new products and services, and marketing to you based on your use of your products and services. This information may also be used to manage and protect our networks, services and users from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful uses; and help us improve our services, research and develop new products, and offer promotions and other services.

Full disclosure is not a guarantee of legality, but it is plainly stated. If you are well-versed in privacy law and have reason to believe that this privacy policy contains information not supported by that law, more power to ya.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Not interested in having a big argument about this, so I'm just gonna state the facts. You can do whatever you want with them.

Consider that there is nothing that becomes visible through this remote device check that could be used to identify you, personally. The unique ESN/MEID/Device ID is already in their billing system along with its usage and update history. All of this information is, in my opinion, much more unique than what is gained through the remote software.

Just because one has a sense of possession about something and desires that its information be kept to one's self doesn't mean it's defensible by privacy law. You might feel that this information *should* be private, but it is simply not defined as such by law. Complain about the ethics or morality if you wish, but it is not currently recognized as illegal.

From their Privacy Policy:
    Information Collected When You Use Verizon Products and Services:
    We collect information about your use of our products, services and sites. Information such as call records, websites visited, wireless location, application and feature usage, network traffic data, product and device-specific information, service options you choose, mobile and device numbers, video streaming and video packages and usage, movie rental and purchase data, FiOS TV viewership, and other similar information may be used for billing purposes, to deliver and maintain products and services, or to help you with service-related issues or questions. In addition, this information may be used for purposes such as providing you with information about product or service enhancements, determining your eligibility for new products and services, and marketing to you based on your use of your products and services. This information may also be used to manage and protect our networks, services and users from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful uses; and help us improve our services, research and develop new products, and offer promotions and other services.

Full disclosure is not a guarantee of legality, but it is plainly stated. If you are well-versed in privacy law and have reason to believe that this privacy policy contains information not supported by that law, more power to ya.
    When it comes to having to get a new phone, Verizon will not give you one if you have altered the phone. However, let's say your headphone jack stopped working and you need to send it in to get it repaired. They HAVE to fix your phone, regardless if it's rooted or not. Why? Because the only way they can't do warranty repairs with your phone being rooted, is because they HAVE to prove that rooting directly caused the issue with the phone. This is per the Magnusson-Moss Act Chapter 50 of United States Code Section 2304, which states:

Waiver of standards
    The performance of the duties under subsection (a) of this section shall not be required of the warrantor if he can show that the defect, malfunction, or failure of any warranted consumer product to conform with a written warranty, was caused by damage (not resulting from defect or malfunction) while in the possession of the consumer, or unreasonable use (including failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance). (d) Remedy without charge For purposes of this section and of section 2302© of this
    title, the term "without charge" means that the warrantor may not assess the consumer for any costs the warrantor or his representatives incur in connection with the required remedy of a warranted consumer product. An obligation under subsection (a)(1)(A) of this section to remedy without charge does not necessarily require the warrantor to compensate the consumer for incidental expenses; however, if any incidental expenses are incurred because the remedy is not made within a reasonable time or
    because the warrantor imposed an unreasonable duty upon the consumer as a condition of securing remedy, then the consumer shall be entitled to recover reasonable incidental expenses which are so incurred in any action against the warrantor.

So how does that mean my warranty isn't voided? If you go out and buy a brand new G2, you root it and have no issues. No problems. Then a 6 weeks later, you plug in your headphones and all of a sudden, no sound is coming out of your head phones. Or the sound coming out of your speaker is crackling. Or your SIM/SD card door breaks off. Just because you rooted your phone, LG still has to honor the 1 year warranty pertaining to THOSE problems. They will STILL have to fix your headphone jack, THEY STILL have to install a new speaker and STILL have to give you a new SIM/SD card door.

Reference;
    http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/t...-users-may-have-about-rooting-and-warranties/
    I called Verizon as I am having GPS issues. I was going to get a cert like new and while I wait, restore and send back non-working unit. When I called, the woman said she was going to run some diagnostics on her end (new to me) and said that she can detect that the software had been altered. She recommended that I reset the phone because if she put this through and it was rooted, I would be charged.

Are they able to tell your phone is rooted from their system without having it? Were they always able to do that?

It wouldn't surprise me, but I can't imagine technology is that advanced, considering they are basically violating your privacy with a tool such as the one described. They could basically "tap" into your phone firmware/software whenever they want, and grab whatever information they want. I couldn't imagine, while possible, they would actually do it.

That said, you need to deal directly with LG. Verizon, along with many other carriers, will void your warranty at the flip of a dime because it's more income for them. I was an LG certified technician from 2005-2010, and while a technician, we did not void warranties for rooting unless we found evidence the firmware/software change interrupted the hardware, such as overclocking.

Once again, deal with LG directly. Verizon will snub you whenever they get the chance. Also, did I mention that most representatives have no idea what the hell they're talking about in the first place?
    Verizon's Remote Diagnostics allows them to remotely control your device to fix things. I used to do this all the time. Usually its somebody that doesn't have a clue how to use android. So, I'd ask for permission, they'd get a pop up to put in a pin number I've give them, and i'd have total control of their phone, even view some fun stuff in their galleries!!! LOL Sometimes it was the only way to fix a problem than have granny go to a local verizon store.

....But before we even get permission to control a person's phone, on Verizon's side of things the Diagnostic tool lists everything about the phone. It doesn't matter what rom you have, it will show up. Anything in Settings they can mostly see.

If you want to avoid problems, best bet it to do a full stock restore, and run your phone for a few minutes before you call so their systems can see your full stock and not rooted.

Some Verizon Tech Reps are very anal, and will give you a hard time for anything, like if they are on a mission to discredit anybody that calls. Others, like I was mostly took your word for your problem. If I could fix it, I would, or I just send a replacement. I could care less if your rooted. I'd send anybody a phone. 80% of the time its a snobby business man, making $500k a year, mad as hell his phone freezes or his battery drains fast, and demands a replacement. I never argued with these kind of people, as they made the big bucks and I only made $40k a year. I even told one guy I didn't get paid enough to argue with him, and I'll send him a replacement no problem. lol