Casting Video - please help!

Search This thread
Firstly, I have sincerely looked everywhere for an answer to my issues. I've spent the last 2 weeks trying to get this working and I just keep hitting brick walls. For the record, the chromecast works fine with the youtube app etc. I'm casting from my 2013 nexus 7.

Firstly, there's the apps I've tried. Allcast, BubbleUPnP, LocalCast. Secondly, there's the media servers. I've tried PS3 media server, plex, and serviio (win2008 r2 x64).

From memory, the story goes like this. Installed PMS. AllCast stuttered. Localcast either didn't work or stuttered.

Next, tried plex. AllCast couldn't see the server (just says 'loading'). Although, once, it could see the server. Played an MKV and got video with no sound. Tried modifying the generic.xml profile so it was like the chromecast.xml profile, restarted, and once again AllCast couldn't see the server. Tried restarting the server again (after replacing original generic.xml profile), and the nexus 7, still just says 'loading'.

Using LocalCast, I played several MKVs - video, but no sound.

Next, tried Serviio. Couldn't see that server in any of the apps.

Tried PMS again. AllCast still can't see any servers (still just says 'loading'). Created a Chromecast profile in PMS. When I play a video (mkv, avi, mp4) in PMS, the log says the video starts to play, then 5 seconds later it says it stops.

Tried BubbleUPnP. When I send the video from PMS to any video player, the video player either crashes, or just says it can't play the file.

Has anyone actually got a successful setup going with a media server and casting from an app? At this point I'm willing to try anything!

Cuzz1369

Jan 25, 2013
Kitchener
I use plex and there isn't a problem at all. Must be a network issue.

Edit: first suggestion is make sure everything is on a 2.4Ghz network. Chrome won't work on a 5Ghz network.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: thaysean

thaysean

Jan 30, 2007
What audio do the mkv files have? Ac3? Ac3 is not supported on Chromecast.

See link: https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/media

If the mkv file plays the video but with no audio, then PMS with have to transcode the audio. On a slower computer, you will get major stutter.

PMS transcoding requirements: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/ar...kind-of-CPU-do-I-need-for-my-Server-computer-

I re-encoded all of my library, so no transcoding is required and all plays super smooth using any app that you mentioned.

Hope that helps!!!

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

Also, check network like Cuzz1369 said

neu - smurph

May 14, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
PMS plus Plex (App) paid version works fine for me, as does PMS plus accessing PlexWeb Interface in Android Chrome and casting from there.
I used to use BubbleUPnP + the BubbleServer to read from PMS, but found that disabling PMS's DLNA server helped with general stability a lot so dumped that, particularly as my other major use for BubbleUPnP - casting from other online video sources is now provided direct in Android Chrome.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far. Apologies I haven't replied sooner.

Firstly, I can confirm I'm on a 2.4gHz network (also, chromecast works fine when casting youtube, etc).

I know that chromecast won't play ac3 audio, so I'm trying to use plex or ps3 media server to transcode the audio as mp3. Haven't even been able to get to the stuttering problem - my issues seem to be before we even get to that part!

I am trying to find a solution I don't have to pay for (I mean, this stuff is supposed to work, right??) so bubbleupnp server and plex android app are both out.
@neu - smurph - when you're mentioning PMS, do you mean ps3 media server, or plex media server? if plex, have you tried any other apps to try and stream from plex?

If anyone has an actual functioning setup where they can cast transcoded mkv's where the ac3 is replaced by mp3 and they haven't paid for any apps, could you please let me know what your setup is? I'll be very keen to recreate it!

neu - smurph

May 14, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far. Apologies I haven't replied sooner.

Firstly, I can confirm I'm on a 2.4gHz network (also, chromecast works fine when casting youtube, etc).

I know that chromecast won't play ac3 audio, so I'm trying to use plex or ps3 media server to transcode the audio as mp3. Haven't even been able to get to the stuttering problem - my issues seem to be before we even get to that part!

I am trying to find a solution I don't have to pay for (I mean, this stuff is supposed to work, right??) so bubbleupnp server and plex android app are both out.

@neu - smurph - when you're mentioning PMS, do you mean ps3 media server, or plex media server? if plex, have you tried any other apps to try and stream from plex?

If anyone has an actual functioning setup where they can cast transcoded mkv's where the ac3 is replaced by mp3 and they haven't paid for any apps, could you please let me know what your setup is? I'll be very keen to recreate it!

By PMS I mean Plex Media Server - and for a totally free setup including PMS transcoding any non Chromecast compatible media it should work using Android Chrome via http://plex.tv/web/app or yourserverip:32400/web/index.html#. You can only cast video with Android Chrome though - not music or photos. For that you'll need the paid app or a subscription (which gets you a free copy of the paid app).

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Plex will not transcode unless your using the Plex App to playback the files. I'm not sure but I bet Bubble requires you to use the Bubble App as well to get the transcoding.

So your attempt at using Plex with some other app is not going to transcode and since your Audio is not CCast compatible your not going to get Audio.

[EDIT] Ok I just checked....and Plex will transcode without their app but only provided your unit has a profile in Plex that supports your unit....

What you will have to do is check the Plex Server logs to find out what your unit is identified as when streamed to, and make a profile (using the CCast profile.xml as your template), change the parameter <Client name="Chromecast"> to <Client name="yourdevice"> and save it as yourdevice.xml

Last edited:
Plex will not transcode unless your using the Plex App to playback the files. I'm not sure but I bet Bubble requires you to use the Bubble App as well to get the transcoding.

So your attempt at using Plex with some other app is not going to transcode and since your Audio is not CCast compatible your not going to get Audio.

[EDIT] Ok I just checked....and Plex will transcode without their app but only provided your unit has a profile in Plex that supports your unit....

What you will have to do is check the Plex Server logs to find out what your unit is identified as when streamed to, and make a profile (using the CCast profile.xml as your template), change the parameter <Client name="Chromecast"> to <Client name="yourdevice"> and save it as yourdevice.xml

Thanks Asphyx - that's a great help. I did look around last week and grabbed a profile for the Chromecast - I even replaced the 'generic' one with the CC specific one. Unfortuantely, my problem is before that stage - AllCast doesn't even SEE PMS.. it just says 'searching...' - any suggestions?

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Thanks Asphyx - that's a great help. I did look around last week and grabbed a profile for the Chromecast - I even replaced the 'generic' one with the CC specific one. Unfortuantely, my problem is before that stage - AllCast doesn't even SEE PMS.. it just says 'searching...' - any suggestions?

Are you sure you have the DLNA server enabled on Plex?
If you do also try enabling GDM in Network settings. Sometimes that helps with discovery issues.

This is ridiculous. I made sure GDM was enabled, and the DLNA server is running because I can see the log. So I tried connecting - all good from allcast. No sound, since I was using the generic profile.

I made sure I had a CC-friendly profile called name="Generic", restarted, now I can't see plex again.

It's like when I have a profile that will work properly with the CC, plex doesn't want to be seen? I've uploaded my log file in case there's anything helpful in there..

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
This is ridiculous. I made sure GDM was enabled, and the DLNA server is running because I can see the log. So I tried connecting - all good from allcast. No sound, since I was using the generic profile.

I made sure I had a CC-friendly profile called name="Generic", restarted, now I can't see plex again.

It's like when I have a profile that will work properly with the CC, plex doesn't want to be seen? I've uploaded my log file in case there's anything helpful in there..

What you need to look at is the Plex DLNA logs...Thats the general log for the entire server you posted...

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
oops - ok, here are two DLNA logs (not sure which one is the right one)..

Your log only shows an attempt to load a photo (probably a preview image)
But it does say User Agent Windows Media Player....That shouldn't say that if it recognized your device as generic Android.

You should not have changed the generic profile, you really need to make a new profile that WILL match your device properly...

I see no attempt to load Video here, perhaps AllCast is not using the DLNA and using UPnP instead....

Your log only shows an attempt to load a photo (probably a preview image)
But it does say User Agent Windows Media Player....That shouldn't say that if it recognized your device as generic Android.

You should not have changed the generic profile, you really need to make a new profile that WILL match your device properly...

I see no attempt to load Video here, perhaps AllCast is not using the DLNA and using UPnP instead....

Damn.. ok i replaced the original 'generic' profile, hoping that would fix it... no dice :(

How can I tell if allcast is using DLNA or UPnP ?

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Damn.. ok i replaced the original 'generic' profile, hoping that would fix it... no dice :(

I think you might just be better off Uninstalling PMS, Deleting all the data folders (in your User space on Windows, Data not saved in the programs folder)

And re-installing it and resetting all your profiles.

See if you can at least see the server under Media Servers.

(I have confirmed this works in Allcast)

Then we can take a look at the logs when you try and connect and we will see if we can't create a good profile for you...
But I have to say it sure looks like it is transcoding for my CCast without any need to change profile.

Reactions: benzothegreat
I think you might just be better off Uninstalling PMS, Deleting all the data folders (in your User space on Windows, Data not saved in the programs folder)

Then we can take a look at the logs when you try and connect and we will see if we can't create a good profile for you...
But I have to say it sure looks like it is transcoding for my CCast without any need to change profile.

Hi Asphyx - sorry again it's taken so long to reply. Ok - uninstalled PMS, re-installed. Allcast found Plex.

Tried to cast a new MKV (would have ac3 audio) from my nexus 7 - video, but no sound. So plex isn't transcoding the audio into mp3/aac.

Next, tried to cast a very old simpsons ep (avi) - and I got no video, and garbled audio...

I've attached the log files in a zip. The 'Neptune' log was about 10mb so I truncated it - but it's basically saying the same thing over and over - something about a bad SCPD response from my chromecast.

Also, I'm pretty sure Plex is recognising the chromecast as 'generic'... :(

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Hi Asphyx - sorry again it's taken so long to reply. Ok - uninstalled PMS, re-installed. Allcast found Plex.

Tried to cast a new MKV (would have ac3 audio) from my nexus 7 - video, but no sound. So plex isn't transcoding the audio into mp3/aac.

Next, tried to cast a very old simpsons ep (avi) - and I got no video, and garbled audio...

I've attached the log files in a zip. The 'Neptune' log was about 10mb so I truncated it - but it's basically saying the same thing over and over - something about a bad SCPD response from my chromecast.

No worries on the time delays....Just as long as there are not 4 pages of posts in between so I can catch up! LOL
Neptune log won't help us...but we will get to that...Unfortunately Plex has multiple Logs it gets confusing...

Okyou are seeing the server which was half the problem....
Your right it isn't transcoding...
I just looked at my Generic.xml and it appears to be blank....Just the XML Header...That could be the problem if it's the same on yours.
So open up generic.xml and tell me what it says after
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- Author: Plex Inc. -->
<Client name="Generic" />

If nothing then it's not transcoding at all....Which I can reproduce on my end...

Take a look at Plex DLNA Server.log
Do a search for User-Agent and tell me what it says...

Mine says "User-Agent: Dalvik/1.6.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.2.2; Xoom Build/JDQ39)"
Your's should say something different which I think is the problem here with All Cast and Transcoding from Plex.
There may be multiple entries listed so try and distinguish which one is actually Android, My guess is it will be similar to what mine says with some reference to Android version.

Copy what it says and save it in a text file somewhere for later use...

The issue maybe that Allcast is not giving a clear UserAgent reply to Plex. The one I'm seeing is a bit overly complicated and Allcast (like aVia) should have a setting to change the Useragent name in the App...Unfortunately Allcast doesn't have this setting. Something I'm sure Koush could easily fix.

What you can try to do is:
Open the Chromecast.xml file in a decent XML editor (I don't suggest a plan text editor but you can get by with it if thats all you have)
Where is says <Client name="Chromecast"> change the Chromecast to what we saved for useragent (leave out the UserAgent: of course)
Save the file as filename.xml (filename being the same as what you just replaced Chromecast with).
DO NOT modify, change or overwrite the Generic.XML! I know it sounds easier but could mess you up later on in life...Better to match the UserAgent properly.

Reboot your PMS machine to be sure it recognizes the new Profile and then see what happens with Allcast....

If it still doesn't work then we can look at the logs again and go from there...

And just to be clear, this will only work for that particular device if what I'm seeing here is correct.

We should write to Koush to see if he can't give us a clearer UserAgent report setting that we can use to match UserAgent and get the proper transcoding. It might even be nice if he added the ability to report to DLNA a useragent depending on what target device is selected.

So when the target is CCast Allcast reports itself as a Chromecast and Plex handles the proper transcoding.

Last edited:
Reactions: benzothegreat
If nothing then it's not transcoding at all....Which I can reproduce on my end...

Yes! My generic.xml file is empty too...

Ok - mine says "User-Agent: Dalvik/1.6.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.3; Nexus 7 Build/KTU84L);"

The issue maybe that Allcast is not giving a clear UserAgent reply to Plex. The one I'm seeing is a bit overly complicated and Allcast (like aVia) should have a setting to change the Useragent name in the App...Unfortunately Allcast doesn't have this setting. Something I'm sure Koush could easily fix.

Open the Chromecast.xml file in a decent XML editor (I don't suggest a plan text editor but you can get by with it if thats all you have)
Where is says <Client name="Chromecast"> change the Chromecast to what we saved for useragent (leave out the UserAgent: of course)
Save the file as filename.xml (filename being the same as what you just replaced Chromecast with).
DO NOT modify, change or overwrite the Generic.XML! I know it sounds easier but could mess you up later on in life...Better to match the UserAgent properly.
ok - so should I say Client name="Dalvik/1.6.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.3; Nexus 7 Build/KTU84L);" ? and what should I call the filename? I can't put slashes etc in the filename?

Reboot your PMS machine to be sure it recognizes the new Profile and then see what happens with Allcast....

If it still doesn't work then we can look at the logs again and go from there...

And just to be clear, this will only work for that particular device if what I'm seeing here is correct.

ok will do! - thanks again Asphyx!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I use plex and there isn't a problem at all. Must be a network issue.

Edit: first suggestion is make sure everything is on a 2.4Ghz network. Chrome won't work on a 5Ghz network.

No worries on the time delays....Just as long as there are not 4 pages of posts in between so I can catch up! LOL
    Neptune log won't help us...but we will get to that...Unfortunately Plex has multiple Logs it gets confusing...

Okyou are seeing the server which was half the problem....
    Your right it isn't transcoding...
    I just looked at my Generic.xml and it appears to be blank....Just the XML Header...That could be the problem if it's the same on yours.
    So open up generic.xml and tell me what it says after
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <!-- Author: Plex Inc. -->
    <Client name="Generic" />

Mine says "User-Agent: Dalvik/1.6.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.2.2; Xoom Build/JDQ39)"
    Your's should say something different which I think is the problem here with All Cast and Transcoding from Plex.
    There may be multiple entries listed so try and distinguish which one is actually Android, My guess is it will be similar to what mine says with some reference to Android version.

We should write to Koush to see if he can't give us a clearer UserAgent report setting that we can use to match UserAgent and get the proper transcoding. It might even be nice if he added the ability to report to DLNA a useragent depending on what target device is selected.

So when the target is CCast Allcast reports itself as a Chromecast and Plex handles the proper transcoding.
    Yes! My generic.xml file is empty too...

Ok - mine says "User-Agent: Dalvik/1.6.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.3; Nexus 7 Build/KTU84L);"

ok - so should I say Client name="Dalvik/1.6.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.3; Nexus 7 Build/KTU84L);" ? and what should I call the filename? I can't put slashes etc in the filename?

ok will do! - thanks again Asphyx!

Yep you got what I got pretty much....
    Unfortunately it's not going to work because of what you noted the filename issue...
    You can't save a file with that name.
    For this to work and transcode properly, Koush is going to have to add a setting to set User Agent in Allcast so Plex can read it and use the appropriate profile. (note this setting would work for any profile based transcoding system other than Plex as well.)

This would also allow you to change the userAgent to fit whatever you wanted to send target to be Roku, CCast or Airplay.

I'm not sure where but I'm betting Koush has a place to make a feature request....It should not be too hard to add to Allcast....
    See if you can make that feature request then post the link here so we can vote it up if needed,