[GUIDE] Instructions to Root G2 [Temp Root]

Search This thread

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
hi i tried your method. but it stucks at the opening screen when i reboot my phone. Is there any way i can fix it? thx a lot

First off, this is a really really old thread. Secondly, this happens a lot with Visionary, which is why I always recommend people steer well away from it and use the rage method instead.

The most up-to-date method of rooting is in the Wiki - http://xdaforums.com/wiki/index.php...cess_.28Permanent_Root_.2F_.22Permaroot.22.29

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE: The below info is all pretty outdated now that the fantastic Paul O'Brien has created a one-click temp root app called VISIONary. I recommend using that - get it from his thread! In case you don't want to do that (what are you, some kind of masochist?), or want to see the old way of getting temp root, keep reading this thread.

Insert the usual disclaimers about "if this breaks your device, it's not my fault... do this at your own risk... voiding warranty... etc."

Note that for now, this is a TEMPORARY root. And things are now well over my head... I just got lucky with figuring out the first few steps. For now, I'm going to leave it to the fantastic folks over in the thinktank thread to figure out how to make this permanent, and will help out wherever I can.

Update 10/6/2010:

Per suggestions later in the thread, I've compiled a zip file of everything needed to set up a temp root. I've also made some tweaks to the root script, included in the archive as "root" - notably, it will now create symlinks to busybox for commands not included with default android (example: cp).

Here are updated instructions to use with the attached zip file. USB Debugging needs to be enabled:

Stage 1: On your PC
    1. adb push su /sdcard/su
    2. adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
    3. adb push rage /data/local/tmp/rage
    4. adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/busybox
    5. adb push root /data/local/tmp/root
    6. adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/tmp/rage /data/local/tmp/busybox /data/local/tmp/root
    7. Disconnect phone from pc

Here's an alternate Stage 1, thanks to Aphotix:
    If you really want to optimize (or be lazy if you are like me), just use this batch file (for windows obviously) using the pc side of the instructions already provided.

Code:
    adb push su /sdcard/su
    adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
    adb push rage /data/local/tmp/rage
    adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/busybox
    adb push root /data/local/tmp/root
    adb shell cd /data/local/tmp; chmod 0755 rage busybox root;

just place it inside of the G2TempRoot folder and double click. Then its just two commands on the phones terminal and you have root.
    BATCH FILE DOWNLOAD HERE

Stage 2: On your phone (Assumes you have already installed Android Terminal Emulator from the market)
    1. Launch Terminal Emulator
    2. /data/local/tmp/rage
    3. Wait for the message: "Forked #### childs."
    4. Menu > Reset Term - Terminal Emulator will exit.
    5. Launch Terminal Emulator, it Force Closes. Launch a second time, and you'll have a root shell
    6. /data/local/tmp/root

Stage One only needs to be done once. Stage 2 needs to be repeated every time you reboot your phone.

Follow the Thinktank thread for progress on a permanent root solution.

Special Thanks:
    The dude that made rageagainstthecage - http://c-skills.blogspot.com
    gariak, for the ideas in the root script
    rpmccormick - improvements in the later PC steps
    Aphotix - Windows batch file to make the first part easier