Search This thread

norkoastal

Dec 7, 2007
Bay Area
You might be able to tether your android phone's GPS to your NC using Bluetooth with an app in the market called BlueNMEA and an app called Bluetooth GPS in the market. Bluetooth GPS allows your android device to use an external Bluetooth NMEA compatible GPS with apps that require a GPS, like Google Maps. So if you put BlueNMEA on your phone and turned your phone into the antenna and then put Bluetooth GPS on your phone to receive the signal, it might work.

7" nav screen with music output and and BT mouse controls for $250 = Magic!!!

Reactions: bryon13

f4phantomii

Feb 10, 2009
You might be able to tether your android phone's GPS to your NC using Bluetooth with an app in the market called BlueNMEA and an app called Bluetooth GPS in the market. Bluetooth GPS allows your android device to use an external Bluetooth NMEA compatible GPS with apps that require a GPS, like Google Maps. So if you put BlueNMEA on your phone and turned your phone into the antenna and then put Bluetooth GPS on your phone to receive the signal, it might work.

My first thought was that I could try to connect my older Garmin GPS BT receiver module and see if it would drive the maps/nav apps.

The Garmin module is nice because it can stay plugged into my wife's vehicle and then if she wanted to take it with her to walk around town or something you can just unplug the module and stick it in a pocket.

The phone idea is interesting, although I suspect I'd probably just use my phone!

KryptoNyte39

Oct 24, 2008
I suppose we would need some kind of stand-alone Android navigation application, with on-board maps ...

madfatter

Nov 5, 2007
or you just wi fi tether 3g from your phone. I have done this on all my Holiday trips the last few weeks and I have to say it works great. Not sure if that would work while using phone as GPS though

KitF

Dec 14, 2010
Philadelphia
kit.im
They probably left it off because, right now, the Nook Color is not open to 3rd-party software. There's nothing available (officially) that can use it, so there's no reason to spend development resources getting it running.

I'm pretty sure Pandora and the stock music/video player could use A2DP headphones, but other than that you're probably right.

madfatter

Nov 5, 2007
maybe, but maybe not. the pandora that is included is different than the pandora on the marketplace. It might be a stripped down version of it.

fwdixon

Oct 15, 2010
This is good news indeed. I was waiting on the Salting results to make the purchase decision, as bluetooth is the only thing "missing" that I need in a tablet. Now that I know it is there, I'm gonna be making a trip to B&N.

gtriever

Jan 8, 2009
W. KY
7" nav screen with music output and and BT mouse controls for $250 = Magic!!!

Asus EeePC with touchscreen mod, 10.2" nav screen, music thru the MP3 input to my SUV stereo system, mounted in my home-built Ford Explorer stand = Bigger Magic!!! Plus, it runs DeLorme's Street Atlas and Topo USA, which are killer NAV apps! I'm just sayin'... :D

But, I'd like to see what the NOOK could do with CoPilot Live. Sounds interesting.

diomark

Jan 24, 2007
Awesome:) this addresses one of my main issues with the nook :) (the other issues being low sound volume, slow browser which will hopefully be fixed with froyo, and the screen being too responsive to taps...)

norkoastal

Dec 7, 2007
Bay Area
Asus EeePC with touchscreen mod, 10.2" nav screen, music thru the MP3 input to my SUV stereo system, mounted in my home-built Ford Explorer stand = Bigger Magic!!! Plus, it runs DeLorme's Street Atlas and Topo USA, which are killer NAV apps! I'm just sayin'... :D
QUOTE]

Bwahahahahahaha... Is the keyboard still attached? Are we really going for the police cruiser look?

jameswei

Sep 13, 2006
congrats occip you've made it onto Engadget asmist all this CES coverage as well.

engadget.com/2011/01/04/nook-color-bluetooth-chip-shows-signs-of-life-if-youve-alrea/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I managed to start bluetooth on nookie froyo, BT scan is working well(on command line), sometimes it shows devices in the android gui.

The steps : ( use at your own risk and only for comfirmed devs)

Add bluetooth capabilities (HCILL) in kernel
    Toggle the WL12XX_RFKILL flag on in evt1a defconfig.
    Take the bluetooth firmware (bts file) from gforge.ti ( wl1271 firmware) for froyo pandroid and put it into /system/lib/firmware, alias /lib/firmware to /system/lib/firmware (useful for command line).

boot the kernel
    and then
    echo 0 >/sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state
    echo 1 >/sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state

hciattach -s 115200/dev/ttyS1 texas
    hcitool scan must show you your BT devices (if discoverable)

Stability is not yet here, Maybe some problems with UART high speed handling ?

This is very positive, it seems that the wl1271 chip is well connected to omap3621...

I will continue to dig ...

Occip
    Some news

Hi
    Porting kernel 2.6.32 is so loong.
    Working:
    I2C ( battery gauge + accel)
    Touchscreen
    Button
    MMC

Not working:
    audio
    dsp
    3D
    Wifi
    and bluetooth :(

PS: For FM, antenna must be connected and pcm routed to audio chip. so it will be difficult to get it working...

Stay tuned

Occip
    not yet fully working

Thanks, Yes that's great.

If you think about buying NC for the bluetooth, please wait for full working bluetooth.
    I cannot guarantee a success.
    For BT audio, WL1271 can ouput directly in PCM to sound chip . I don't know if this part is well connected, otherwise over HCI it could be OK...

I continue to dig ...
    Occip
    Hey all any news on this?

Pavlos

I'm working on kernel porting, I will have some news tomorrow.
    My first step is to enable bluetooth in command line and test few bluetooth firmware , as the kernel will not handle wifi,video, touchscreen , audio ,3d and dsp at the beginning.
    If bluetooth is ok i will continue to port recent kernel for the NC by adding features by priority order:
    video
    touchscreen
    wifi
    audio
    3d
    dsp

stay tuned

Occip
    @occip, please setup donation for your efforts. The other poster who offered to team up could work with you and divvy the total as you see fit.

There are too many people asking for this or that and should donate if they want time spent on it.

Suggestions to other interested parties: donate $10 now to kickstart/show appreciation, $20-50 when it's working, $20-50 for occip/team to work on something you specifically desire like volume adjustment, IPtables, etc. I'd confirm with occip that they're even interested in looking into this via a PM and time required/reasonable donation.

BT with GPS, HID, audio, mic capabilities would blow the doors off of this modest 'reader'. Money talks, B$ walks

I'm in for $10 as soon as occip has a donate button :D

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with occip or anyone working on this, just a keen interest in the NC.

FWIW, those of us working on the CM7 port have already put in crazy hours working on various parts. It is not lack of motivation keeping us from doing the work.