[FAQ] - Frequently Asked Questions - [WIP]

Search This thread

CamoGeko

Retired Forum Moderator
[SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]HTC One X[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: How do I unlock my bootloader, ROOT my HTC One X and flash custom recovery?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Q2: What are the commands to flash Kernel boot.img via fastboot?[/SIZE]
Type in the command - fastboot flash boot "location and name of boot.img" (without the quotes). Make sure you also do the command - "fastboot erase cache" (without the quotes) afterwards to ensure a clean install. Or you can use thunder07's tool found here - [TOOL]One X One Click v2.0|Kernel&Modules|Recovery|RUU|MultiRepack|Root ing|AIO|. If you're running TWRP recovery your filename will be boot.emmc.win.​

[SIZE=+1]Q3: How to install Jelly Bean on HTC One X?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Q4: How to repack a kernel for use on a specific ROM?[/SIZE]
You can use thunder07's tool to repack any custom kernel you wish for the ROM that you use, the tool can be found here - [TOOL]One X One Click v2.0|Kernel&Modules|Recovery|RUU|MultiRepack|Root ing|AIO|

[SIZE=+1]Q5: When I stop playing music, the phone makes a popping sound, why?[/SIZE]
That's totally normal, this is due to the vibrations that are being forced to stop (muted) after a sound ends. There isn't much you can do to totally remove this, however you can disable any audio effects/audio DSPs to reduce the vibrations of the DAC.​

[SIZE=+1]Q6: I installed a rom and now my phone is in a bootloop (it doesn´t get past the htc logo), what is wrong?[/SIZE]
You probably forgot to flash the boot.img of your new ROM.
To solve this issue,
  1. open the ROM.zip without unzipping and copy the boot.img to your fastboot folder
  2. open cmd and type:
  3. Code:
    cd c:\fastboot (change it to the directory of your fastboot folder)
  4. Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
  5. Wait for it to flash
  6. Code:
    fastboot erase cache
  7. Wait for it to erase
  8. And reboot.
This will solve the bootloop in most cases.​

[SIZE=+1]Q7: Where is a good index of development for International HTC One X?[/SIZE]
See the following thread for an Index of everything related to development to help modify your International One X - [REF][26 Feb]*HTC ONE X* - Indexed listing of roms, kernels, guides, tools & modshttp://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1832891

[SIZE=+1]Q8: How can I find the best configuration for my HTC One X, including a guide to Undervolting?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q9: How many charge cycles does it take for a ROM/Kernel to settle down after flashing?[/SIZE]
In my experience it's around 2-3 full battery cycles. Which means you have to charge your battery to 100% and then run it down to about 5-10% before you start charging again. After the 3rd cycle your battery should start to improve dramatically.​

[SIZE=+1]Q10: My battery is running down very quickly while my screen is off, why is this?[/SIZE]
It's most likely caused by an app that's active in the background, thus draining your battery and keeping your phone from sleeping. Please check out this thread on more information about wakelocks - [GUIDE] Wakelocks Definition and how to prevent them.

[SIZE=+1]Q11: Why am I getting lags when browsing the homescreen?[/SIZE]
It's pretty normal on the HOX, it happens after you have been using your ROM for a while. There is an app which can help you fix the lag, there is a thread about it here - [APP] LagFix (fstrim) v1.5.1 2013.03.04. The app itself is called LagFix and can be found on Play Store here - LagFix.

[SIZE=+1]Q12: Where can I find a list of which games and apps are optimized for Tegra?[/SIZE]
Please take a look at this thread here - Tegra 3 optimized Games and apps -- All About Tegra 4

[SIZE=+1]Q13: I need a stock NANDROID backup for my CID, where can I find it?[/SIZE]
You can get backups for different CID's here - [COLLECTION]Stock Nandroid Backups for Different CIDs

Thanks to @ZeroInfinity, @jonas2295, @Mr Hofs

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.
A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ

Last edited:

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
You might want to add that TWRP does not generate a boot.img but a boot.emmc.win file

To flash :

Fastboot boot boot.emmc.win

Reactions: TToivanen

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
You descibed the way to flash a boot.img, those are always provided with a rom. But i get a lot of questions about their backup made with twrp ..... Those are boot.emmc.win files....so i thought you might wanted to add that as info for flashing like a add-on to Q2 ?

Last edited:
Reactions: CamoGeko

Shan89

Oct 23, 2012
Very usefull thread mate. :good: , lets hope it prevents even more daily and zilion times alredy answered questions:angel:

Reactions: CamoGeko

yash777

Dec 7, 2012
Chicago
When flashing a new ROM people say it takes a few charging cycles to get the battery to settle down. How many cycles are we talking about here?

genkeys

Mar 1, 2013
problem with boot after installing viperx

hi
ofcourse im new to rooting. i rooted my htc one x successfully installed viperx and flashed boot.img from d same zip using cmd. cleared cache and factory reset,but my phone wont boot. its stuck up with htc one screen. which part did i miss.pls help

Goku80

Mar 18, 2012
Within the Matrix
hi
ofcourse im new to rooting. i rooted my htc one x successfully installed viperx and flashed boot.img from d same zip using cmd. cleared cache and factory reset,but my phone wont boot. its stuck up with htc one screen. which part did i miss.pls help

flash boot and then flash viper..before you flashed boot did you fastboot erase cache first?

harshs23

Jul 28, 2011
New Delhi
Hi, had a question, didn't want to start a new thread.

I am currently on Viper and if ever i want to go back to stock, I have my TWRP backup. The backup can be restored but the boot.img is not present in the backup, there are 2 files - boot.emmc.win 8.4 MB & boot.emmc.win 48 bytes. Is the boot.emmc.win the boot image, can it be renamed to boot.img and fast booted or does the img need to be extracted somehow? Please assist.

CamoGeko

Retired Forum Moderator
Hi, had a question, didn't want to start a new thread.

I am currently on Viper and if ever i want to go back to stock, I have my TWRP backup. The backup can be restored but the boot.img is not present in the backup, there are 2 files - boot.emmc.win 8.4 MB & boot.emmc.win 48 bytes. Is the boot.emmc.win the boot image, can it be renamed to boot.img and fast booted or does the img need to be extracted somehow? Please assist.

I already specified that you need to flash the boot.emmc.win in fastboot in the FAQ. Please read better next time.

It's also a kernel img file, just named differently because of using TWRP and not CWM.

Reactions: harshs23

yash777

Dec 7, 2012
Chicago
My friend has an att one X who is looking to root his device. I have already rooted my One X from my laptop. He also wants to use my laptop to root his.

I am concerned will there be a driver conflict if I install HTC drivers for these two phones on the same laptop?

jonas2295

Jan 4, 2010
Bavaria
AW: [FAQ] - Frequently Asked Questions - [WIP]

My friend has an att one X who is looking to root his device. I have already rooted my One X from my laptop. He also wants to use my laptop to root his.

I am concerned will there be a driver conflict if I install HTC drivers for these two phones on the same laptop?

You are on the wrong forum.
Att one x has no tegra 3 processor.
Check the one xl forum out (evita).

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

zeroxp

Apr 6, 2008
Hello, I have a question about app storage: If I flash CyanogenMod ROM, will it enable more than 2GB app storage?
I thought 2GB was enough, but recently hit the point that storage is low and sync stop working. Tried move most apps to phone storage but still only around 200M free. This 2GB limit from HTC is really annoying now. I'm new to flashing firmware and not sure if that will solve the problem. Please give some advice, thanks a lot.

tanujroolz

Oct 21, 2012
Hi,

Can we add the wifi base related question and the wifi hardware (press on the top right corner) to the FAQ?

Thanks,
Tanuj

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]HTC One X[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: How do I unlock my bootloader, ROOT my HTC One X and flash custom recovery?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Q2: What are the commands to flash Kernel boot.img via fastboot?[/SIZE]
    Type in the command - fastboot flash boot "location and name of boot.img" (without the quotes). Make sure you also do the command - "fastboot erase cache" (without the quotes) afterwards to ensure a clean install. Or you can use thunder07's tool found here - [TOOL]One X One Click v2.0|Kernel&Modules|Recovery|RUU|MultiRepack|Root ing|AIO|. If you're running TWRP recovery your filename will be boot.emmc.win.​

[SIZE=+1]Q3: How to install Jelly Bean on HTC One X?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Q4: How to repack a kernel for use on a specific ROM?[/SIZE]
    You can use thunder07's tool to repack any custom kernel you wish for the ROM that you use, the tool can be found here - [TOOL]One X One Click v2.0|Kernel&Modules|Recovery|RUU|MultiRepack|Root ing|AIO|

[SIZE=+1]Q5: When I stop playing music, the phone makes a popping sound, why?[/SIZE]
    That's totally normal, this is due to the vibrations that are being forced to stop (muted) after a sound ends. There isn't much you can do to totally remove this, however you can disable any audio effects/audio DSPs to reduce the vibrations of the DAC.​

[SIZE=+1]Q6: I installed a rom and now my phone is in a bootloop (it doesn´t get past the htc logo), what is wrong?[/SIZE]
    You probably forgot to flash the boot.img of your new ROM.
    To solve this issue,
    1. open the ROM.zip without unzipping and copy the boot.img to your fastboot folder
    2. open cmd and type:
    3. Code:
      cd c:\fastboot (change it to the directory of your fastboot folder)
    4. Code:
      fastboot flash boot boot.img
    5. Wait for it to flash
    6. Code:
      fastboot erase cache
    7. Wait for it to erase
    8. And reboot.
    This will solve the bootloop in most cases.​

[SIZE=+1]Q7: Where is a good index of development for International HTC One X?[/SIZE]
    See the following thread for an Index of everything related to development to help modify your International One X - [REF][26 Feb]*HTC ONE X* - Indexed listing of roms, kernels, guides, tools & modshttp://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1832891

[SIZE=+1]Q8: How can I find the best configuration for my HTC One X, including a guide to Undervolting?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q9: How many charge cycles does it take for a ROM/Kernel to settle down after flashing?[/SIZE]
    In my experience it's around 2-3 full battery cycles. Which means you have to charge your battery to 100% and then run it down to about 5-10% before you start charging again. After the 3rd cycle your battery should start to improve dramatically.​

[SIZE=+1]Q10: My battery is running down very quickly while my screen is off, why is this?[/SIZE]
    It's most likely caused by an app that's active in the background, thus draining your battery and keeping your phone from sleeping. Please check out this thread on more information about wakelocks - [GUIDE] Wakelocks Definition and how to prevent them.

[SIZE=+1]Q11: Why am I getting lags when browsing the homescreen?[/SIZE]
    It's pretty normal on the HOX, it happens after you have been using your ROM for a while. There is an app which can help you fix the lag, there is a thread about it here - [APP] LagFix (fstrim) v1.5.1 2013.03.04. The app itself is called LagFix and can be found on Play Store here - LagFix.

[SIZE=+1]Q12: Where can I find a list of which games and apps are optimized for Tegra?[/SIZE]
    Please take a look at this thread here - Tegra 3 optimized Games and apps -- All About Tegra 4

[SIZE=+1]Q13: I need a stock NANDROID backup for my CID, where can I find it?[/SIZE]
    You can get backups for different CID's here - [COLLECTION]Stock Nandroid Backups for Different CIDs

Thanks to @ZeroInfinity, @jonas2295, @Mr Hofs

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.
    A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ
    I enabled NOVA luncher in ViperX rom.how can i disable it?

Reflash the rom without a wipe.
    Hi guys,

On Saturday i might trade my Galaxy Nexus for an One X.

Since it will not be brand new, are there typical problems that i should check before buying it? I don`t know, antena, camera, screen, etc. (i will check this ones) or any hardware related problems.

Sorry for my bad english!

Thanks in advance!

Firstly hold down power button + volume down till it boots to bootloader mode and ensure that it has "endeavoru" written on the 2nd line... if it has evita written, then it's a dual core one x and not the international one! ;)

Also have a look at this thread : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1923016
    Thanks for reply, mate. :) I done everything as you said. everything and not even once :)
    Still no luck. Airplane mode is turning off, no imei, wifi is working. I think i need new motherboard :(((((

aaarrgghh!! Yeaah... I can't think of anything else other than a faulty main board...

Did you check with others Custom roms? Still airplane?
    Great work so fare more to come I emagine ;)

Sent From My XM powwred JB Renovated One X