Best car dock for nexus one ?

Search This thread

rXpCH

Aug 20, 2010
Hello,

I know Google made a care dock, in fact I have the Desktop Dock.
But I read a couple of reviews and the results were not satisfying.
So I need your advice !
What is the best Care Dock for the Nexus One ?
I want to use it as GPS/phone but not media player.

Best regards,

rXp>!<

flappjaxxx

Apr 8, 2009
Somewhere, FL
Hello,

I know Google made a care dock, in fact I have the Desktop Dock.
But I read a couple of reviews and the results were not satisfying.
So I need your advice !
What is the best Care Dock for the Nexus One ?
I want to use it as GPS/phone but not media player.

Best regards,

rXp>!<

I have the Nexus Dock that was sold by Google. It's great for GPS and I have to say it is OK at best for hands free phone. Maybe in a quieter car (Chevy Blazer here) but I have a hard time hearing people even at maximum volume. My car is a little loud though so maybe someone else may have better input for that issue I have. It seems with some of the older roms on my phone I had a few connection issues(random bluetooth connection drops) but on some of the newer roms I haven't had that problem at all. As far as a media player.. meh If you like listening to your music through a CB radio speaker then this is the dock for you! It is very well made as far as construction. I've had mine almost a year now and it still works with no issues. In all reality the music player doesn't sound terrible through the speaker but it doesn't sound great, the phone feature is OK and navigation is great. It is a good product but just like any other product it is not perfect.

tonyx3

Jan 27, 2010
I have the Nexus Dock that was sold by Google. It's great for GPS and I have to say it is OK at best for hands free phone. Maybe in a quieter car (Chevy Blazer here) but I have a hard time hearing people even at maximum volume. My car is a little loud though so maybe someone else may have better input for that issue I have. It seems with some of the older roms on my phone I had a few connection issues(random bluetooth connection drops) but on some of the newer roms I haven't had that problem at all. As far as a media player.. meh If you like listening to your music through a CB radio speaker then this is the dock for you! It is very well made as far as construction. I've had mine almost a year now and it still works with no issues. In all reality the music player doesn't sound terrible through the speaker but it doesn't sound great, the phone feature is OK and navigation is great. It is a good product but just like any other product it is not perfect.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't have a car dock, and the htc website is out of stock now),

but can't you set your phone to use bluetooth A2DP to connect to a bluetooth capable car stereo automatically when you put it in the dock? Or is that the situation you have where you talk about bad audio quality?

Also, can't you get car stereos/kits that give you handsfree speakerphone using your stereo and an external mic?

For me, the dock is little better than a car charger if it doesn't auto connect to such newfangled wizardry to solve these problems automagically (the dock does actually CHARGE the phone too, right?).

flappjaxxx

Apr 8, 2009
Somewhere, FL
Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't have a car dock, and the htc website is out of stock now),

but can't you set your phone to use bluetooth A2DP to connect to a bluetooth capable car stereo automatically when you put it in the dock? Or is that the situation you have where you talk about bad audio quality?

Also, can't you get car stereos/kits that give you handsfree speakerphone using your stereo and an external mic?

For me, the dock is little better than a car charger if it doesn't auto connect to such newfangled wizardry to solve these problems automagically (the dock does actually CHARGE the phone too, right?).

The dock's built-in speaker has not so great audio. You can connect it to a bluetooth capable stereo, I just happen to not have one of those. I am sure there are kits out there that do all of the above. Yes it does charge the phone as well. The phone connects to the dock's speaker via Bluetooth and that's what I meant about the previous random bluetooth drops. For what I use it for, mostly navigation and charging it serves it's purpose.

Last edited:

tonyx3

Jan 27, 2010
The dock's built-in speaker has not so great audio. You can connect it to a bluetooth capable stereo, I just happen to not have one of those. I am sure there are kits out there that do all of the above. Yes it does charge the phone as well.

Oh, the car dock has an extra built in speaker? I kinda assumed you were talking about audio coming from the phone's built in speaker. I see. Thanks for the heads up, in any case.

espeanage

Aug 13, 2008
Arkon has good universal car mounts. The good thing is that it is future proof assuming that phones don't get super wide.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

cgjjaf

Jun 25, 2010
From Amazon

I bought this dock: http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-K3...h-Compatible/dp/B003Y3BEV4/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

And although is supposedly for the iPhone, it works great with the N1. I modded the base, so it will hold the tip of this charger: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S5Q9CA/ref=oss_product?ie=UTF8&redirect=true

The dock you can either put it in the windshield or in one of the vents. I put mine in a vent, because it is closer to my hand and I don't have to reach to the windshield to operate the phone, when I am using the car home.

I hope that this info helps.

arastamon

Jan 16, 2011
I have been looking for a dock and the google dock is no longer being sold by google and is only available on ebayor amazon, there is a buy now on ebay for $79, and it costs $185 on amazon! It looks really nice though, it original sold for $55, so I may shell out the premium to get the only really nice dock i have seen

CTMechE

Feb 26, 2011
I have the official Google/HTC car dock, and am satisfied with it. The speaker in it is OK, but not great if you have a loud vehicle. Communication between the dock and phone is via Bluetooth, despite it being physically clipped in. I had a small issue where I found that music would play via the dock speaker, but phone calls would only play on the phone's speaker, oddly.

Also, after taking a road trip with my N1 as a GPS unit before I got the dock, I found that a standard car 12v --> USB adapter with a microUSB cable did not provide enough juice to power the phone while using Google Nav with GPS. It would slowly discharge the battery over time. This happened with 3 different 12v--> USB adapters, so maybe most of them out there don't put out enough amps.

Anyways, I got mine last fall from HTC's site, which was (and still is) backordered. I did eventually get it, though.

Because I'm an xda forum noob, it won't let me post the URL... but just Google "shopamerica" and "HTC" and find accessories for the Nexus One from the HTC America site.

obadvw

Jun 20, 2006
Jeddah
the only problem with non Google Car Dock/Car Mount is that phone dialer never show in landscape

is there any trick to emulate google car dock to allow dialer to be in landscape ?

thanks

atlana

Jul 2, 2008
I have the official Google/HTC car dock, and am satisfied with it. The speaker in it is OK, but not great if you have a loud vehicle. Communication between the dock and phone is via Bluetooth, despite it being physically clipped in. I had a small issue where I found that music would play via the dock speaker, but phone calls would only play on the phone's speaker, oddly.

there is a little workaround for that - the MOTOROLA T505 (google it) hands-free device works miracles..it has a decent, loud, inbuilt speaker, communicates via bluetooth with the N1, and transmits via FM to your car-stereo. it searches for "least used/weakest signal" on the entire FM frequency band, announces verbally the FM frequency you need to set your radio to, and off you go. as a bonus, it has an inbuilt rechargeable battery so you can take it anywhere.Works for making calls and music 'broadcasts'