[SPRINT] New 2nd update kills search functionality? FIX Available

Search This thread

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
if this is true, this is bad news....

it fixed google wallet... for sure... Im not sure what it did to google search, but now we cant choose what to search... because we could choose apps, contacts, maps, etc... now it just searches google... maybe to avoid an apple lawsuit?

Edit:

to fix it, install GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk

here is that file

Edit 2

WE HAVE A MAJOR PROBLEM

This stops working after a reboot and you have to install the file again for it to work

Only thing I can think of is to root and replace the system file with the old one...not sure though

any suggestions?

Edit 3: How to make it stick. Must be rooted

NOTE: You need ROOT! and probably Root Explorer, so you can change permissions, I did it all through the phone, I'm sure you could also use adb but this seemed simpler. Also, I don't think this can in any way break your phone, but just to be safe, make a backup, at least in Titanium, and don't blame me if something goes wrong.

1) Download the apk at the beginning of this thread, place it on your SDcard (or phone) where you'll find it easily.
2) Install root explorer (or equivalent, I used root explorer though)
3) Go to /system/app and mount as R/W
4) move GoogleQuickSearch.apk somewhere else, just so you have it if you need to restore it
5) Go to where you placed the full-featured apk, copy/move it to /system/app
6) Long-Click on GoogleQuickSearch.apk, select permissions, and set to rw-r--r-- (ie, row 1: yes yes no, row 2: yes no no, row 3: yes no no)
7) Hit okay, mount R/O, and quit
8) Go to Settings > Application Manager > All
9) Select Google Search, and clear data/cache
10) Select Google Services Framework, clear data/cache
11) Reboot
12) ???
13) Profit!!!

Attachments

• GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
    722.4 KB · Views: 5,305
Last edited:

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
im avoiding this update..any way to stop the stupid notifications? thanks

I effin hate apple even more now..wtf

CapsLockKey

Sep 17, 2010
It's not just apps. Contacts, bookmarks, everything. Looks like the "security update“ was more of a unified search nerf to try and strip it out as a countermeasure to Apple's attempted ban. S Voice going to be next?

Didn't bother me all that much as I rarely use either feature, but how about giving us back the brightness adjustment in the notification bar from previous Galaxy S models to make up for it?

xtrezpasor

Dec 27, 2010
Can you post the old one?

Sent from my SPH-L710...if some one helps you press the thanks button

IRIE4IPIER

Feb 25, 2009
Do people actually even really use this functionality? I know this will save me time because I just disable this cuz it fills my google search box with a million un useful items I never searched for. When I press the search button, its to search the internet. **** Apple.

efishta

Sep 5, 2006
Ahh, damn it. I was afraid this was going to happen. For people who have a lot of apps, the search feature is used several times a day. Additionally, it's very convenient to search contacts or look up words in the dictionary directly. Funny, I never use the search the web functionality (I load up the browser and search from the address bar...
I'm.annoyed, but not really worried due to the open source nature of the os.

Nick300

Aug 30, 2011

This is the biggest horsercrap in the tech world. I have the right to search MY stuff in my devices. Apple doesn't own my stuff. Apple didn't invent searching. Go eff yourself Apple, you will never see a dollar out of me, you douchebags.

Sent from my PantechP9070 using XDA

Speedin07si

Nov 15, 2011
Colonial Heights,VA
Thank Apple effing bastards..... seems samsung is trying to nip apples lawsuit before it goes to court by complying w/ patent issues.

Sent from My Epic Ice Cream Sandwich With Sprinkles!!!

Jfree3000

Jul 20, 2010
Metro Atlanta
I'm sorry but how the hell do you patent a search of apps, contacts and other items within a phone? It seems like apple is just going through processes that android has/had, sees that there is no patent for such a process and files for said patent acting as though they created it.

I really kept out of this apple lawsuit stuff but this is really getting out of hand, they are crippling development for everyone because they are running scared since Android is taking over. How do you patent a square/rectangle for a table? WTF?!

These patent judges are in apples pocket and its very obvious. The patent office is in apple pocket as well or they would have put an end to this crap a long time ago. Can't wait till apple starts suing people for eating apples because that is their logo.

Sorry end of rant.

Reactions: CKKnot

jgalan14

Jul 8, 2010
Las Vegas
I'm sorry but how the hell do you patent a search of apps, contacts and other items within a phone? It seems like apple is just going through processes that android has/had, sees that there is no patent for such a process and files for said patent acting as though they created it.

I really kept out of this apple lawsuit stuff but this is really getting out of hand, they are crippling development for everyone because they are running scared since Android is taking over. How do you patent a square/rectangle for a table? WTF?!

These patent judges are in apples pocket and its very obvious. The patent office is in apple pocket as well or they would have put an end to this crap a long time ago. Can't wait till apple starts suing people for eating apples because that is their logo.

Sorry end of rant.

I would blame more who authorize this to be OK,sure we can all blame apple for filing it ,but at the end Samsung and Google have their own patents,this is how this country works business, I do not like it ,but is always easy to blame the other guys, Samsung also had sue apple, they like to make money, there is nothing we can do unless we get a patent reform which we should

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

it fixed google wallet... for sure... Im not sure what it did to google search, but now we cant choose what to search... because we could choose apps, contacts, maps, etc... now it just searches google... maybe to avoid an apple lawsuit?

Edit:

here is that file

Edit 2

WE HAVE A MAJOR PROBLEM

This stops working after a reboot and you have to install the file again for it to work

Only thing I can think of is to root and replace the system file with the old one...not sure though

any suggestions?

Edit 3: How to make it stick. Must be rooted

NOTE: You need ROOT! and probably Root Explorer, so you can change permissions, I did it all through the phone, I'm sure you could also use adb but this seemed simpler. Also, I don't think this can in any way break your phone, but just to be safe, make a backup, at least in Titanium, and don't blame me if something goes wrong.

1) Download the apk at the beginning of this thread, place it on your SDcard (or phone) where you'll find it easily.
    4) move GoogleQuickSearch.apk somewhere else, just so you have it if you need to restore it
    6) Long-Click on GoogleQuickSearch.apk, select permissions, and set to rw-r--r-- (ie, row 1: yes yes no, row 2: yes no no, row 3: yes no no)
    11) Reboot
    12) ???
    13) Profit!!!
    picked up by phandroid =) http://phandroid.com/2012/07/10/spr...search-app-attempts-to-prevent-apple-lawsuit/

here is that file
    Got it back!

Okay, so I'd lost my unified search functionality during the upgrade, but I replaced the castrated apk in system/app with the full-featured apk available in the first post of this thread, and several reboots later, the full-featured search functionality is still available. If you know how to switch them, go right ahead, if you don't, read below.

11) Reboot
    12) ???
    13) Profit!!!

I've rebooted a dozen times and I still get the full app/contact/google search, no need to reinstall every reboot!
    For anyone without tasker that wants a temporary solution to this without rooting, I used the tasker app factory to create a stand alone apk file that will reinstall universal search upon boot. I would be happy to share it.

Sorry end of rant.