[Q] Best sequence of steps to upgrade TF300T 10.4.2.20 running Android 4.1.1

Search This thread

arosca

Mar 1, 2014
Sorry for the n00b questions. I'm confused by the large number of posts about rooting the TF300T which are for different firmware and Android versions.

I have a TF300T running Android 4.1.1. The firmware is JRO03C.US_epad-10.4.2.20-201212028.

I'd like to upgrade to Android 4.4 KitKat.

What is the correct sequence of steps? Some of the posts I read say that the device needs to be unlocked first by downloading a utility from Asus, but I don't see an unlock utility that's made for this firmware version.

Also, I don't have a USB cable for the tablet. Can I flash from a microSD?

Thanks in advance!

sheislegion

Aug 25, 2009
Atlanta
What is the correct sequence of steps? Some of the posts I read say that the device needs to be unlocked first by downloading a utility from Asus, but I don't see an unlock utility that's made for this firmware version.

The V7 unlock tool from Asus ought to work...just used it about an hour ago on my TF300T with the same firmware version. It's an APK, so just download, install, and run. After that, I grabbed the Jelly Bean update from Asus; their directions say to use a microSD card. Upgraded to 4.2 that way... I expect to be able to follow the directions in this thread to root and install a recovery. Once you do that, the sky's the limit. Good luck!

Reactions: arosca

cmendonc2

Aug 29, 2011
Sorry for the n00b questions. I'm confused by the large number of posts about rooting the TF300T which are for different firmware and Android versions.

I have a TF300T running Android 4.1.1. The firmware is JRO03C.US_epad-10.4.2.20-201212028.

Thanks in advance!

Basic outline of steps:

1.) Unlock

2.) Upgrade to latest Android 4.2 Stock ROM

3.) Root

4.) Flash recovery from terminal - TWRP 2.6.3.2

5.) Flash KitKat ROM.

Reactions: freq019 and arosca

arosca

Mar 1, 2014
Thanks for the tips!

I was able to download both the unlock utility and the 4.2 firmware from this page:
support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=ASUS+Transformer+Pad+TF300T&os=8

NOTE: the direct URLs listed below only work outside of China. See the page above for download links if you are in China or Taiwan

NOTE: the following URLs are for the US firmware version of the TF300T (build number contains "US"). See the page above for download links for other regions.

The steps are as follows:

1. enable installation of applications from unknown sources (Settings -> Security -> check the Unknown Sources box)

2. download the V7 unlock utility and install on your tablet. The tablet will reboot and you will see "device unlocked" in the top left corner during boot. This is the direct link to the V7 unlock utility (this should be downloaded directly from the tablet):
dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePAD/TF300T/UnLock_Device_App_V7.apk

3. download the 10.6.1.8 firmware to your PC from here:
dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePAD/TF300T/TF300T-US_epad-user-10_6_1_8-UpdateLauncher.zip

4. extract the ZIP file. There will be another ZIP file inside. Copy this "internal" ZIP file to a microSD card

5. insert the microSD card into the tablet. The new firmware should be detected automatically and an exclamation sign icon will appear in your system tray. Touch it and follow the prompts to perform the upgrade.

You should now be on Android 4.2.1 and firmware US_epad-10.6.1.8

Reactions: wwinger

wwinger

Jul 29, 2014
I followed the directions to get to 10.6.1.8. Now how do I switch to 10.6.1.27.5 or am I okay where I am? Now I have 4.2, what have I gained.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks in advance!

Basic outline of steps:

1.) Unlock

2.) Upgrade to latest Android 4.2 Stock ROM

3.) Root

4.) Flash recovery from terminal - TWRP 2.6.3.2

5.) Flash KitKat ROM.
    10.6.1.8 is likely to cause issues with KitKat ROMs. Try to find 10.6.1.27.5 or 10.6.1.27.1.

Sent from my TF300T using Tapatalk

The V7 unlock tool from Asus ought to work...just used it about an hour ago on my TF300T with the same firmware version. It's an APK, so just download, install, and run. After that, I grabbed the Jelly Bean update from Asus; their directions say to use a microSD card. Upgraded to 4.2 that way... I expect to be able to follow the directions in this thread to root and install a recovery. Once you do that, the sky's the limit. Good luck!
    Thanks for the tips!

I was able to download both the unlock utility and the 4.2 firmware from this page:
    support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=ASUS+Transformer+Pad+TF300T&os=8

NOTE: the direct URLs listed below only work outside of China. See the page above for download links if you are in China or Taiwan

NOTE: the following URLs are for the US firmware version of the TF300T (build number contains "US"). See the page above for download links for other regions.

The steps are as follows:

1. enable installation of applications from unknown sources (Settings -> Security -> check the Unknown Sources box)

2. download the V7 unlock utility and install on your tablet. The tablet will reboot and you will see "device unlocked" in the top left corner during boot. This is the direct link to the V7 unlock utility (this should be downloaded directly from the tablet):
    dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePAD/TF300T/UnLock_Device_App_V7.apk

3. download the 10.6.1.8 firmware to your PC from here:
    dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePAD/TF300T/TF300T-US_epad-user-10_6_1_8-UpdateLauncher.zip

4. extract the ZIP file. There will be another ZIP file inside. Copy this "internal" ZIP file to a microSD card

5. insert the microSD card into the tablet. The new firmware should be detected automatically and an exclamation sign icon will appear in your system tray. Touch it and follow the prompts to perform the upgrade.

You should now be on Android 4.2.1 and firmware US_epad-10.6.1.8