[Q] MTP mode - freeze on renaming file/folder

Search This thread

StinkyToilet

Mar 7, 2013
Medan
So, MTP doesn't support direct modifications. And Microsoft's dumb way to create folders is creating a new folder named "New Folder" then asks you to name it, which is actually renaming, as it will freeze your entire MTP File Explorer window :p

soralz

Apr 6, 2013
Taipei
Same happened to me too. The weird thing is it only happened on my PC, desktop Win 7 32-bit. Other PC are working fine. MTP mode causes my PC to freeze while copying files, no matter what phone or tablet.

amerkiller1995

Dec 17, 2011
Having the same problem. In fact, it is just not possible to modify a file or folder name in MTP Protocol and it has been defined in that way.

"The MTP and PTP standards do not support direct modification of objects. Modified objects must be copied out of the device and reuploaded in their entirety"
Source: Wikipedia

Great decision by Google to scrap USB Mass Storage mode then.

Reactions: neonixxx

fgilio

Dec 18, 2011
Can't believe this is still a problem... I'm having this issue since years ago and with multiple devices. I thought it was my PC...

TrophicFault

Jan 29, 2015
This problem has been bothering me for a while, but I've found a way to get passed it. What I do is create a new folder without renaming it, move up a directory and then go back to the location of the new folder and rename it. That seems to prevent explorer freezing for me.

Using a Nexus 4 and Windows 8.1 x64

Reactions: Krusadr

oktaya

Jun 21, 2012
Some great solution. Google and Microsoft should announce this as a feature at the nearest opportunity.

erljayp

Dec 27, 2012
This happened to me once and it erased my sd card blank. :'(
Now I'm scared to use MTP in any way. (Mass storage/Airdroid as alternative)

Krusadr

Mar 13, 2011
Mumbai
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
This problem has been bothering me for a while, but I've found a way to get passed it. What I do is create a new folder without renaming it, move up a directory and then go back to the location of the new folder and rename it. That seems to prevent explorer freezing for me.

@TrophicFault You sir just saved me and won the internet as well!
This works perfectly fine!

Also, if you don't want to waste time navigating back and forth, just follow below steps:
1. Click on New Folder and click anywhere in explorer to create a folder with the default name.
2. Click on Refresh / press F5 a couple of times (although once was enough for me).
3. Now you can rename without any issues.

I think the MTP driver in Windows does not refresh the directory tree in memory and that might be a problem, but as Windoze is closed source due to Micro$oft's monopoly, nobody but M$ can fix it.

I have a OnePlus One running on CM11 4.4.4 and connecting it to Windows 10 PC.

Reactions: mrroks and nazfalas

vgrigor

Jun 5, 2016
I have same problem
Ibstalled Samsung Kies v.3.2.16044.2
reinstalled USB driver commanding within Kies - no effect
Run "folder view" - it runs standart explorer window - and after this all renames becames working!!!

fera2k

Apr 6, 2010
Brasília
I have same problem
Ibstalled Samsung Kies v.3.2.16044.2
reinstalled USB driver commanding within Kies - no effect
Run "folder view" - it runs standart explorer window - and after this all renames becames working!!!

Yes, I confirm it worked now, but still takes a loooong time to unfreeze windows explorer :rolleyes:

User848

Apr 9, 2013
It was freezing a little bit on Windows 8.1 when I rename folders
But on Windows 10 it's freezing strongly when I try rename a folder (I don't even know how much time do I need to wait until it renames a folder, I've never waited, can't stand this)
p.s. Samsung Galaxy S Advance

Last edited:

adelupin

Sep 7, 2011
Jakarta
this happens to me after update to 6.0.1, cannot create folder with custom name, cant transfer file from PC...
i uninstall SAMSUNG Android ADB Interface under SAMSUNG Android Phone on Device manager then plug in the USB and let the driver installed it self, now its working again.

Paresh Kalinani

Apr 28, 2012
Mumbai
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 6T
It's a problem with windows 8 and newer versions like 8.1 and 10. I'm back to windows 7 and everything works perfect! by the way I'm on android 5.1.1 .. android 6 lacked many things I wanted like cannot open the wpa_supplicant.conf file directly on phone, etc.

Reactions: rdheepak

harish15

Jun 12, 2013
Chennai
Common issue with almost all the devices on latest windows. Try using adb method or use a Phone Manager software. Hope it helps.

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi 5 using XDA Labs

neonixxx

May 17, 2010
[/COLOR]
Having the same problem. In fact, it is just not possible to modify a file or folder name in MTP Protocol and it has been defined in that way.

"The MTP and PTP standards do not support direct modification of objects. Modified objects must be copied out of the device and reuploaded in their entirety"
Wow, I can't believe this is actually as designed... I guess not enough people transfer files to their phones for whoever governs MTP to get wind that they need to update it. Seems pretty silly to not support modification, and even sillier for any OS to include the drivers without acknowledging that limitation.

bonizz

Dec 19, 2016
I have a dumb way which seems to work:
  • Create the new folder and rename on your computer's hard drive
  • Copy the new empty folder (with the correct name) to your android folder
Or you copy the old files to the new folder on your windows drive before copying back to the android drive.
But, copying folders from windows seems to preserve the name.

Tong63

Nov 18, 2016
Anti Freeze in MTP mode
1. click "New Folder"
2. Instead of typing your desire folder name, hit ESC on your keyboard. The folder name "New folder" would be created without freezing
3. Rename the folder

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Solved

This is a issue with winrar. Read this to learn how to solve. < tenforums [dot] com/general-support/26931-file-explorer-crashing-when-trying-rename-folders.html > (obviously, change the [dot] for a . )

Basically, you will need to install this software called "shellexview" and disable a winrar process. Do as in the link.

That worked very well for me.

This is a issue with winrar. Read this to learn how to solve. < tenforums [dot] com/general-support/26931-file-explorer-crashing-when-trying-rename-folders.html > (obviously, change the [dot] for a . )

Basically, you will need to install this software called "shellexview" and disable a winrar process. Do as in the link.

That worked very well for me.

That's actually WORK. Can't believe that, so many years desperately passed by!

What I did was going into WinRar's Options > Settings > Integration > [Uncheck] Integrate WinRAR into Shell, and boom! problems solved!
    This seems to happen on pretty much any device/ROM/OS combo I've tried. This is the #1 reason MTP should die in a ditch.

@TrophicFault You sir just saved me and won the internet as well!
    This works perfectly fine!

Also, if you don't want to waste time navigating back and forth, just follow below steps:
    1. Click on New Folder and click anywhere in explorer to create a folder with the default name.
    2. Click on Refresh / press F5 a couple of times (although once was enough for me).
    3. Now you can rename without any issues.

I think the MTP driver in Windows does not refresh the directory tree in memory and that might be a problem, but as Windoze is closed source due to Micro$oft's monopoly, nobody but M$ can fix it.

I have a OnePlus One running on CM11 4.4.4 and connecting it to Windows 10 PC.