[Voodoo Lagfix] : Play Voodoo with STOCK ECLAIR / FROYO kernels! - UPDATE : JM9 , JPM

Search This thread

Kryston

Apr 23, 2009
This kernel doesn't work with ClockworkMod.

Also, trying to work out if there is any interest in an app that will install / uninstall this fix for you. Basically, it would detect what device you have, and then give you a list of kernels it could download and install. Plus an option to restore your original kernel.

Any interest in this, or comments? Or are you mostly happy with the update.zip method already?

Would be very very cool =D

_JKay_

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 12, 2010
Ok thanks for your help. I went ahead and installed this new update.zip even though the old voodoo 3 was already running. It went fine.. I think!
Now what? Quadrant say 1688 but that the same as always (with the old voodoo3).
How do I verify that the M8 kernel is installed correctly?

Regards
JKay

Rul3s

Aug 27, 2008
Hi, could someone help me?

I don't know if I done it well, I follow this steps:

1-I created a disable lagfix folders /sdcard/voodoo/disable-lagfix
2-I shut down the phone, so when on again, a voice notify me that is disabling lagfix and when finished started again.
3- Once started without lagfix, I erase voodoo/disable-lagfix folders and place update.zip in sdcard and shutdown
4- When I turn it on again, here's where I start it again with 3 buttons combo to apply update.zip, but before appearing recovery mode, it appears the voice telling that is applying lagfix ext4 again, and when finishes appears recovery mode and I apply update.zip correctly

I think that I haven't done it correctly....what do you think? because before apply update.zip it apply vodoo lagfix ext4 again...

QUadrant is 1420 points after doing that, with JM8 firmware.

jana999

Mar 14, 2010
www.facebook.com
This kernel doesn't work with ClockworkMod.

Also, trying to work out if there is any interest in an app that will install / uninstall this fix for you. Basically, it would detect what device you have, and then give you a list of kernels it could download and install. Plus an option to restore your original kernel.

Any interest in this, or comments? Or are you mostly happy with the update.zip method already?
This would be very interesting. It would help many users who are not comfortable with flashing and all. But the apk should be very comprehensive and without any fuss. Just simple UI having plain options to choose from.

BTW i appreciate the works of all the devs on xda for making SGS smoother and faster.

Please do. There are noobs like me out there who make stupid careless mistakes when flashing and disabling this lagfix etc.
A more centralized app, similar to RyanZA's OCLF apk would be immensely useful.
It would be great if could choose which lag-fix type you wish to apply ( ext2/4, nilfs2, voodoo kernel etc..).

Thank you for all the hard work!!

RyanZA

Jan 21, 2006
JHB

2-I shut down the phone, so when on again, a voice notify me that is disabling lagfix and when finished started again.
3- Once started without lagfix, I erase voodoo/disable-lagfix folders and place update.zip in sdcard and shutdown
4- When I turn it on again, here's where I start it again with 3 buttons combo to apply update.zip, but before appearing recovery mode, it appears the voice telling that is applying lagfix ext4 again, and when finishes appears recovery mode and I apply update.zip correctly

I think that I haven't done it correctly....what do you think? because before apply update.zip it apply vodoo lagfix ext4 again...

The mistake you made was in #3
You erased the voodoo/disable-lagfix
You need to leave that there until you flash a new kernel! :)

PS. Does anybody know where the NILFS2 kernel has gone to?

CazeW

Nov 14, 2008

So basicly you had the original Voodoo lagfix installed and then you updated to this? If you're updating to another kernel that has Voodoo included, there's no need to disable the lagfix first.

EDIT: Or what RyanZA said. The instructions in the first post seem to be wrong as well.

PS. Could this method be used to bake in BackLightNotification into a stock kernel as well?

Last edited:

Rul3s

Aug 27, 2008
The mistake you made was in #3
You erased the voodoo/disable-lagfix
You need to leave that there until you flash a new kernel! :)

So instructions are not correctly!!

Code:
-make a folder named "disable-lagfix" in /sdcard/Voodoo
-reboot
-remove /sdcard/Voodoo/disable-lagfix folder
-apply update.zip

bub181

Jul 23, 2007
For me it didn't. Comming from Vodoo Beta4 . All done in 20 seconds and still have root and all data.:)

I currently have voodoo beta 4 running on my phone. Are you saying that I can flash this version without disabling the voodoo lag fix first?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

kkrake

Sep 20, 2010
Melbourne

I managed to download these before they were removed. See attached for the original NILFS2 update.

I've also attached the stock JM8 stock kernel that was attached earlier as someone else mentioned this. Just need to remove the zip extension.

Cheers

Attachments

• JM8_stock.tar.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 41
  • update_voodoo_nilfs2_i9000.zip
    7 MB · Views: 35

dupel

Jun 2, 2010
London
I currently have voodoo beta 4 running on my phone. Are you saying that I can flash this version without disabling the voodoo lag fix first?

They are similar systems (/data in ext4). All the difference - different kernels.

Modified stock kernel (this one) - possible (not proven) advantages: better battery life, better performance, better comportability etc

voodoo kernel by curio - made from "scratch". Probably safer for a larger variety of devices and more stable.

Maybe someone (if the do a reflash right now - I will make this test if I reflash) can make some tests?

Like do a complete wipe (sdcard, data) and do tests of this voodoo mod, against voodoo by curio. Something like 5 runs of quadrant I/O on completely stock firmware. It could show if the method of using stock kernel is better than compiling one.

StoneRoses

Aug 23, 2010
After 2 days of use, I must say this lag fix is the best.

Run fast and smooth like Voodoo but not draining battery as fast as original Voodoo (I tried Voodoo lagfix V3 and this fix in JM8 FW)

xan

Retired Recognized Developer
May 21, 2006
Crack-ow
I seem to get better battery life with this than voodoo.

Samsung put a lot of work into their kernel since releasing the sources. JM8 kernel is simply built from better sources than voodoo. This is not curio's fault. He does everything correct, but still: JM8 sources are newer than these used by curio.

dagrim1

Sep 1, 2008

Same here, had JM8 running with the latest voodoo (only voodoo, no colorfix) and just applied this new update without disabling the lagfix...

Worked fine and done in less then 30 seconds.

miketwn

Aug 25, 2010
Taipei
im not using this JM8 firmware, but 19000ZSJG4 firmware. My question, has anyone not using JM8 firmware flash this lagfix yet? and if they did, any thoughts or comments?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    wow, you are still using JF3? I'd recommend an update to JM9. i'm sure this will fix your problems :D

Nah, I've waited for FroYo for so freaking long now that it would feel like giving up if I upgraded to JM9 :D

It should be here any day.. I mean weak.. erm.. month now! No matter when it comes out, I'm sure by that time everybody will be screeming out for Gingerbread. Or, as we know Samsung, possibly even Honeycomb... OK, sorry for the desperate off topic post...