[MOD]Change "Sprint" on AOSP (No HexEdit/CDMA)(Scrolling Lockscreen Text)

Search This thread

kevinjt

Jun 18, 2010
Tried other methods... no luck.

Tried this one and worked flawless,

Just two words..

Thank you!

:D

jamsterzak

Dec 9, 2009
Detroit
If anyones interested in changing the carrier color on lockscreen I found this thread useful..its not spot on but ull get the picture

link

ChiefSpoonS

Jul 5, 2010
Statesville
Thanks bud. Worked GREAT.

Coulding get into Debugger mode to adjust via QPST. Its odd if I flash a SENSE rom, it is changed from when I did it a while ago. But, CM, it didn't change.

Mar 5, 2009
I see red people.
Works on AOSP Gingerbread ROM, Heroc

For anyone using aosp GB rom on Heroc, this mod worked beautifully when using the TE method about 1/2 way down the first post. Thx, I love getting rid of Sprint all over my phone!!!

Mar 5, 2009
I see red people.
Scrolling Banner

I played around to find out how much text I could put on the lockscreen, and discovered the banner is scrollable!! I changed the text readout to 27 characters - which is too long for the screen - and after rebooting, the text scrolled across the screen. It pauses at the end of the text for a second or two, then starts to scroll again. This is way cool. I am running aosp GBv0.1.7 on a Heroc, but this should work on any cm or aosp rom.

Karadorde

Aug 27, 2010
Sugar Creek
I played around to find out how much text I could put on the lockscreen, and discovered the banner is scrollable!! I changed the text readout to 27 characters - which is too long for the screen - and after rebooting, the text scrolled across the screen. It pauses at the end of the text for a second or two, then starts to scroll again. This is way cool. I am running aosp GBv0.1.7 on a Heroc, but this should work on any cm or aosp rom.

I am going to check that out right now and will add it to the OP. Nice work :D

EDIT: Works the same on the EVO. The text appears and then scrolls all of the way across, disappears, and then it all starts over. The only downside is that it doesn't scroll in the notification drop down menu, so everything is just kind of jumbled together there. Either way, nice find.

Last edited:

selders59

Jul 10, 2008
Cape Coral, Florida
I tried this on my Evo running a cm7 mod rom and it didn't work. What is the file that the new eri.xml should be saved in? All help is appreciated.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

-shift-

Jun 29, 2010
I tried this on my Evo running a cm7 mod rom and it didn't work. What is the file that the new eri.xml should be saved in? All help is appreciated.

this is for cm6 builds. cm7 builds are not out yet. you're probably using either your own compiled build or someone else's... which doesn't make it the official cm7 build.

*sigh*

Lento10

Apr 4, 2010

It work for me, using root explorer. I'm running lithids kang CM7.

selders59

Jul 10, 2008
Cape Coral, Florida
this is for cm6 builds. cm7 builds are not out yet. you're probably using either your own compiled build or someone else's... which doesn't make it the official cm7 build.

*sigh*

I am using Magnus's rom built from the cm7 codes, I didn't say it was the official CM7 rom as I know they are not out yet. So please don't put out criticism from from your misinterpretation of what someone post's, I just said I was using a cm7 mod rom. Besides just looking for some help on which folder to put the new eri.xml file I changed into.

-shift-

Jun 29, 2010
I am using Magnus's rom built from the cm7 codes, I didn't say it was the official CM7 rom as I know they are not out yet.

I'm just saying.. How can one support software that's not stable or even officially released? But I don't want to hijack karadorde's thread... That's another discussion.

Swyped from my EVO

levyathos

Oct 9, 2010
Need help, USB Debuggin option not working!!!

Hi, I'm posting this here cuz im really new in bloggin. I recently installed MikFroyo on my phone couple nights ago, and I just realized today my USB Debugging option is not working. I made sure for the past half hour that it was checked. I am like, ok, what do I need to do. Please let me know guys, or lead me to someone who can. Thanks

Levy

MaverickSITG

Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island
OMJ Rom

Will this work with the OMJ 4.5 Rom also which data folder does this eri.xml file should go into The SD/data or the other one on the phone? I am using Root Explorer Thanks

Karadorde

Aug 27, 2010
Sugar Creek
Will this work with the OMJ 4.5 Rom also which data folder does this eri.xml file should go into The SD/data or the other one on the phone? I am using Root Explorer Thanks

I believe OMJ's ROMs are Sense based. Unfortunately, that means that this edit will not work with that specific ROM. You must be on an AOSP ROM such as MIUI or CyanogenMOD. I would use the Hex-Edit Method by JsChiSurf.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I searched through EVO 4G Themes and Apps and did not find this method; however, I am posting it here in case it is a repost. I suppose a mod could move it later if users find it helpful and they felt inclined to do so.

So far the two main methods I've seen are done with CDMA workshop or hex editing .xml files. I didn't like either of these methods too much. CDMA workshop costs money unless you download it illegally, and even then it only works half the time. I do not care for hex editing very much either. Not to mention the fact that you have to use a text-hex converter and download a hex editor. Plus, whenever the framework changes in the rom (happens very often with CM) you have to do a lot of work with the .xml if you don't want your phone to bootloop into eternity. (Do not misconstrue what I am saying. The user who created the hex editing method for changing your lockscreen/notification bar text does great work and I used his method for a long time. The framework in CM changes so much though and I don't expect him to constantly update his method for one specific rom.)

I scoured several sites to find this method only to find out it has been posted on XDA. The only problem I saw was that the posts were within [Q] threads and therefore buried to the average user. This is my attempt to share this with the community. I don't take any credit for the actual method. Just trying to bring it up so we all have options.

This edit is very easy to complete. Try it at your own risk. :D

0. Make a Nandroid backup. Hopefully this is second nature by now.
    1. Download eri.zip
    2. Unzip the file to wherever you please.
    3. Right click on eri.xml and choose "Open with Notepad"
    4. Once you open the file you will see "Sprint" in the 5th line.
    5. Delete Sprint and place whatever you would like in it's place. I believe you have up to 16 spaces to work with if need be.
    6. Save the file with an .xml extension. Important: Make sure it is eri.xml and not eri.xml.txt. This will cause issues.
    7. Place the eri.xml in your /androidsdk/tools directory.
    8. Pull up your Command Promt/Terminal/Etc
    9. CD to your /androidsdk/tools directory and:
    Code:
    adb remount
    adb push eri.xml /data/eri.xml
    adb reboot
    10. Success. Hopefully.

I have heard that this method does not work for some. It worked for me earlier tonight and for another CM user that I shared it with. Hopefully this gives you an alternative to the other methods if they didn't work or if you aren't comfortable with them.

Let me know if I left anything out or if there are any issues.

hAMze.jpg

UPDATE:
    Thank you lovethyEVO for bringing it to my attention. Looks like this will only work for CM roms (though I would imagine it would work on any AOSP rom) at this point in time. Just tested on a Sense based rom and saw no change. Sorry folks.

UPDATE 2:
    After reading through a few posts, I figured it was only right to write up some instructions on how to complete the edit from the phone itself.

Apps needed: Root explorer is ideal but it costs money and it is not necessary if you don’t want to pay for it. So for this method, we will go the long way and use AndroZip and Terminal Emulator (Possibly DropBox as well, will explain later), all of which are free on the Market.

1. Download the file to your phone. Depending on your settings it will either be on the root of your SDCard or in a “download” folder. If in a folder, move it to the root of your card. Do this by opening Androzip, go to your download folder on your SD card, long press on the file, select “Move,” press the back button, and then press the “Move Here” button that has appeared in the top right.
    2. Unzip the eri.zip file. Tap on eri.zip and select “Extract file here.”
    3. Open the file. Tap on your newly unzipped eri.xml, tap “Open,” pick an app to edit the file (AndroZip has a built in text reader that won’t work because it does not have an Edit option. This is where DropBox can come in handy since it contains a Text Editor in case your rom does not have one built in.)
    4. Find “Sprint” and change it to your desired text. Save the file before exiting. If you try to back out before saving it should prompt you to save.
    5. Move the file to the appropriate location. Exit AndroZip and Open up Terminal Emulator. Type:
    Code:
    su
    cd /sdcard
    mv eri.xml /data/eri.xml
    Alternately, use
    Code:
    cp
    instead of
    Code:
    mv
    if you want to keep a copy of your edit eri.xml on your sdcard. Will come in handy if you ever do a full wipe and a fresh install of CM.
    6. Back out of Terminal Emulator and restart your phone.
    7. Success?

Sorry for the wordy directions. Tried to make sure I covered all of my bases. Figured more directions were better than not enough. Let me know how this works. You can use other apps if you want. These just happened to be the ones I had on my phone at the time. Hope this helps those that don't like ADB or just want to complete the edit straight from the phone.

UPDATE 3:
    To remove the edit completely you can use Root Explorer, navigate to /data, long press on eri.xml, and then select Delete. If you don't have Root Explorer, then open Terminal Emulator and type:
    Code:
    su
    rm -r /data/eri.xml
    Reboot after deleting the file and you will go back to Sprint.

UPDATE 4:
    There doesn't really seem to be a limit on the character count with this modification. 24601 did a little bit of experimenting and found out that the text will actually scroll across the lockscreen if you complete the edit with a long enough phrase. The text doesn't scroll in the drop down notification menu and looks a little jumbled, but it is definitely a cool effect on the lockscreen. Nice find either way.
    I just used an app I found with a google search. The name of the app is CCName. It isn't in the market, so google it. I used it with HTC Incredible, EVO 4G, and now EVO 3D all running CM7

CCName works great for this. Doesn't get much easier.

CCName1.3.apk
    I just used an app I found with a google search. The name of the app is CCName. It isn't in the market, so google it. I used it with HTC Incredible, EVO 4G, and now EVO 3D all running CM7

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App
    Thanks man finally a fast way to do it.....using a mac everything is different lol but just wanted to confirm that it worked for me
    where is the actual path it puts the file in? I got it working with terminal emulator, but i first tried to manually put the file in /data and it didn't work.

What rom are you running? For cm7 and cm7-based roms, it goes in root/data.

There is no pre-existing file, so just drop eri.XML in there.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using XDA App